BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,817
Posts388,305
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 219 of 260 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 259 260
Re: Boys 2028 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many 2028s are the top high schools realistically looking to bring in next year as 9th graders?

I know coaches have their short lists of kids they covet that they turn into the admissions folks but just wondering how many 28s realistically will end up on each A conference schools roster.

A lot, but not all of them by any means.

1. Unless your son is an elite-level playmaker who his club director (who the HS coach might call) knows by name/sight, there's no realistic lax-specific path.

2. This means surviving the admissions path, and for 9th grade the acceptance rate at these schools is anywhere from 10% to 40%. Many 2028s got a rude awakening last spring when their "sure fire" acceptance to MIAA was denied for 8th grade. Bottom line, if he's getting a 3.1 at public school, McDonogh has no faith he'll keep a 3.1 at prep school AND play high level sports at the same time. Of course if he has a 2.4 and has a 110mph shot, that's different. And if he's a very average lax player with a 4.0 and the president of his MS class, that's different too. And if dad is an alumnus donor, that's different as well.

3. I detest to be the bearer of bad news, but for the MIAA-A schools that have middle school programs, their enrollment is already stocked with 20-30 "serviceable" lacrosse players from 2028 AA to Elite. Aka an insurance policy if the 30 lax kids accepted to 9th grade don't fully pan out. So, walking around with a big sign that "MY SON PLAYS LACROSSE REAL GOOD" won't get you very far.

4. As John Carroll Dad loves to moan about, a legit reason to not go MIAA-A could be that your son wants to PLAY BALL more than he wants to be part of a top-25 national school team and the #5 varsity FOGO on the team in 11th grade. That's a serious consideration too.

If this is your attitude just go to the b conference and have fun.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many 2028s are the top high schools realistically looking to bring in next year as 9th graders?

I know coaches have their short lists of kids they covet that they turn into the admissions folks but just wondering how many 28s realistically will end up on each A conference schools roster.

1. Unless your son is an elite-level playmaker who his club director (who the HS coach might call) knows by name/sight, there's no realistic lax-specific path.

2. This means surviving the admissions path, and for 9th grade the acceptance rate at these schools is anywhere from 10% to 40%. Many 2028s got a rude awakening last spring when their "sure fire" acceptance to MIAA was denied for 8th grade. Bottom line, if he's getting a 3.1 at public school, McDonogh has no faith he'll keep a 3.1 at prep school AND play high level sports at the same time. Of course if he has a 2.4 and has a 110mph shot, that's different. And if he's a very average lax player with a 4.0 and the president of his MS class, that's different too. And if dad is an alumnus donor, that's different as well.

3. I detest to be the bearer of bad news, but for the MIAA-A schools that have middle school programs, their enrollment is already stocked with 20-30 "serviceable" lacrosse players from 2028 AA to Elite. Aka an insurance policy if the 30 lax kids accepted to 9th grade don't fully pan out. So, walking around with a big sign that "MY SON PLAYS LACROSSE REAL GOOD" won't get you very far.

4. As John Carroll Dad loves to moan about, a legit reason to not go MIAA-A could be that your son wants to PLAY BALL more than he wants to be part of a top-25 national school team and the #5 varsity FOGO on the team in 11th grade. That's a serious consideration too.

If this is your attitude just go to the b conference and have fun.

Parents attitude has zilch to do with it if your kid's not currently on a national radar. Especially if he has already grown to most of his eventual height. There are so many x factors headed your way in the next 5 years, it'll make your head spin. Met a top 100 2022 player from MD last summer. Had several D1 offers (no full rides) and then an elite college without varsity lax offered him a sweet deal in his dream major. POOF...goodbye lax greatness manifest destiny. Buckle up dads.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

John Carroll Dad is gonna be sad to learn that JC has a lot of freshmen laxers in the school this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Word to the wise.....tell your son to get good grades and have fun with his club. I have 4 kids in a wide age range....all solid players but I wouldn't say absurdly solid. One is in HS and plays at a good, but not top, northeast boarding school. My next is a 28 and is sniffing around for his landing spot. EVERY coach for my eldest -- and even more so with my 28 (who is 3 years younger) -- asks if you can meet the academic standards. The sport has grown so quickly that the advantage an average student, but elite player has over a high GPA earning/very good player is narrowing. And I expect it to continue to narrow. Why? Because the schools around the DMV and boarding have become so absurdly competitive academically they want both. If your kid is both....you are set...but I would wager the kid walking into Taft or Lawerenceville with a 4.0 and can contribute on the field (and of course pay the tuition) is going to have the advantage over a dominant player who can barely maintain a C+ average.

At the end of the day, lacrosse is a dead end sport for most kids post high school. Use it to your advantage to weasel your way into the best academic schools you can because they do care, but it isn't basketball, hockey or football on the priority scale.

My two cents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Word to the wise.....tell your son to get good grades and have fun with his club. I have 4 kids in a wide age range....all solid players but I wouldn't say absurdly solid. One is in HS and plays at a good, but not top, northeast boarding school. My next is a 28 and is sniffing around for his landing spot. EVERY coach for my eldest -- and even more so with my 28 (who is 3 years younger) -- asks if you can meet the academic standards. The sport has grown so quickly that the advantage an average student, but elite player has over a high GPA earning/very good player is narrowing. And I expect it to continue to narrow. Why? Because the schools around the DMV and boarding have become so absurdly competitive academically they want both. If your kid is both....you are set...but I would wager the kid walking into Taft or Lawerenceville with a 4.0 and can contribute on the field (and of course pay the tuition) is going to have the advantage over a dominant player who can barely maintain a C+ average.

At the end of the day, lacrosse is a dead end sport for most kids post high school. Use it to your advantage to weasel your way into the best academic schools you can because they do care, but it isn't basketball, hockey or football on the priority scale.

My two cents.

Respectfully, this sort of thoughtful, well-informed comment with reasonable perspective on the relative importance of youth lacrosse has no place here.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My two cents.

Well said. The other thing that nobody wants to discuss is that a fair number of pretty great laxers give up the sport at some point in HS. Yeah, yeah I know "not my son." Sure. If he's been pumped up by others about his eliteness since 3rd grade, and he hasn't really faced adversity yet, we'll see what happens if he rides the bench in 11th (especially if it's not fair/not based on merit) or gets cut from varsity in 10th, thus ending the "I'm gonna get recruited in September" fantasy.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, this commentary is way too serious and informative for this board. Can the NL and DCE parents please just start bashing Madlax again? That's fun and makes me feel good!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any teams that only practice during the week this fall?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any teams that only practice during the week this fall?
The (Baltimore) clubs I know of are all only on the weekends.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, this commentary is way too serious and informative for this board. Can the NL and DCE parents please just start bashing Madlax again? That's fun and makes me feel good!!

I agree with this.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I agree with this.
They’re not Madlax this fall. They’re the DC Dogs now. Or the Monuments. Or the Enchilada Supremes. Something along those lines…

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Supreme ML is going to have trouble finding players if their history of national teams is any indication. While BOTC liked to beat up on ML for flying in players the rhetoric was completely overblown at least in re to the 2028s. There was typically only 1 to 4 players at the summer events. Sometimes there were zero. The traditional ML national team was made up of 85-90% CAP players. Several sets of ML CAP parents -- across multiple age groups -- have told me there is no way they are doing Supremes. First, the schedule is insane. Vegas in December, FL and CA x2 in January and then the Vail tournament again (which CM got kicked out of last summer for fighting a ref). That's a long way of saying if a large percentage of the CAP players don't buy into it, they aren't going to have teams. While there are several regular solid flyins, I can only think of 1 that will probably continue to play for ML on the 28s. The tension and team meltdown has turned everybody off. Of course, they could probably get some players, but the quality players won't be there as they are already committed elsewhere.

There's your daily dose of ML drama for Friday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Supreme ML is going to have trouble finding players if their history of national teams is any indication. While BOTC liked to beat up on ML for flying in players the rhetoric was completely overblown at least in re to the 2028s. There was typically only 1 to 4 players at the summer events. Sometimes there were zero. The traditional ML national team was made up of 85-90% CAP players. Several sets of ML CAP parents -- across multiple age groups -- have told me there is no way they are doing Supremes. First, the schedule is insane. Vegas in December, FL and CA x2 in January and then the Vail tournament again (which CM got kicked out of last summer for fighting a ref). That's a long way of saying if a large percentage of the CAP players don't buy into it, they aren't going to have teams. While there are several regular solid flyins, I can only think of 1 that will probably continue to play for ML on the 28s. The tension and team meltdown has turned everybody off. Of course, they could probably get some players, but the quality players won't be there as they are already committed elsewhere.

are the Supremes part of the Circuit?
and please forgive me for an uninformed question, but what exactly is the Circuit and how is that different than other national tournaments?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who are the chain bridge all stars?

Is that what ML is calling itself for fall? Or is that something different.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

are the Supremes part of the Circuit?
and please forgive me for an uninformed question, but what exactly is the Circuit and how is that different than other national tournaments?
Supremes are not part of the Circuit. The kids that Cabell might be able to get to play are all too old. Circuit allows 3 kids born before May 31, 2009.

The Mojo’s are the local team playing circuit. Lot of NL kids, plus a few from other various clubs around here who are looking for more action. Not sure, but I think it hatched out of a Landon School crew. But it’s definitely run by NL, and Cabell threatened his players who considered doing it. When he realized that a few of his better players (not just 2028, but also 2029 and 2030) were prepared to tell him to pound it, he rolled over and said it’s Ok. But it’s not Ok with him. He’s a control freak. Anything not Cabell Maddux is [Censored] according to the King of Hubris himself.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clainbridge All Stars are just a group of friends from different clubs (DCE, NL, ML) that play tournaments here and there. Typically it's been McClean box, Sixers.....etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Clainbridge All Stars are just a group of friends from different clubs (DCE, NL, ML) that play tournaments here and there. Typically it's been McClean box, Sixers.....etc.

Yeah, I always thought of it as a loosely affiliated McLean team. Vienna kids from different clubs play together at some events as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah, I always thought of it as a loosely affiliated McLean team. Vienna kids from different clubs play together at some events as well.
We played the Chain Bridge Stars in the Mclean Fall Box league last fall. They were really, really good. Small, but they were very skilled. I think they’re all VA kids.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

We played the Chain Bridge Stars in the Mclean Fall Box league last fall. They were really, really good. Small, but they were very skilled. I think they’re all VA kids.
Chainbridge is a team that comes together for small events but this weekend played against a very good venom team and lost in the championship 4-2

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They're predominantly on age.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any teams playing next weekend, Oct. 15th?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DCE playing Primetime in NJ on 15th

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DCE28 parent here. We just received notice that CM from Madlax is trying to block us (and only the 28s) from playing NAL this fall. Guess he's replaying the NLF model he has used on Next Level for years. If your kid plays for an NAL member club, you should light them up for blocking a team that wants to compete. Pretty weak sauce taking out your failures as an owner and coach on a group of 8th graders....but I guess we should have assumed this would happen given the fact several players on the new 28 DCE team is made up of old MLers who saw the light.

Thought I would just put that out there for the salty BOTC community to digest. It's weird he is focusing on DCE, though, given a sizeable percentage of existing ML players -- across several age groups -- are playing for MOJOs this Fall. The guy can't even control what happens in his own house as it is collapsing.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is mortifying for him and that club. What a little baby.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DCE28 parent here. We just received notice that CM from Madlax is trying to block us (and only the 28s) from playing NAL this fall. Guess he's replaying the NLF model he has used on Next Level for years. If your kid plays for an NAL member club, you should light them up for blocking a team that wants to compete. Pretty weak sauce taking out your failures as an owner and coach on a group of 8th graders....but I guess we should have assumed this would happen given the fact several players on the new 28 DCE team is made up of old MLers who saw the light.

Thought I would just put that out there for the salty BOTC community to digest. It's weird he is focusing on DCE, though, given a sizeable percentage of existing ML players -- across several age groups -- are playing for MOJOs this Fall. The guy can't even control what happens in his own house as it is collapsing.

I am pretty sure a few kids from ML also went to NL. So is CM also going to try to block them?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another DCE parent here. I'm going to advocate we enter every tournament ML is in hence forth simply to destroy them and the titanic ego that is somehow contained in his tiny body.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He already does block NL from playing in ML events. That was 2 to NL though and I think 9 to DCE.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is mortifying for him and that club. What a little baby.

Agreed

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another DCE parent here. I'm going to advocate we enter every tournament ML is in hence forth simply to destroy them and the titanic ego that is somehow contained in his tiny body.

I am going to go get my popcorn and watch how this all goes down!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone been able to confirm this? Could be a bunch of banter from DCE folks.

If this is indeed legitimate— we are seeing a very desperate Cabell Maddux who is clearly on full tilt. Trying to blackball 13 and 14 year old middle schoolers is about as low as it gets. If he somehow thinks this will make his Madlax parents at the younger age groups more loyal, or will convince all those kids at 26 and 28 to consider coming back— he’s in for a rude awakening. This could be his death knell. Parents with any sense about themselves should not continue to condone this guy’s behavior on and off the field. AttentioOther Club Directors: roll out a third alternative to BLC/NL and you will have an immediate audience full of Madlaxers. They are embarrassed by this guy, and they are ready.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If this is true, why would anyone be surprised? This guy got kicked out of the third day of the Vail tournament this summer for putting his hands on a ref. He didn’t show up the first morning of Naptown a week later with no heads up, kids played without their coach. He forfeited 5 minutes into the Semifinal game against Red Hots at Naptown and didn’t tell the Tournament Director or the RH coaches, left them to wait 4 hours through weather delay.

This is the tip of the iceberg. Bullied 13 year olds over text and DM on Instagram after their parents told them they’re leaving for a different team, calling them “Quitters.” There’s a laundry list (on record) of inconceivable stuff this clown has said and done to kids and parents on his teams. So no— nobody should be the least bit surprised if he has blackballed the 2028 DC Express team from competing in the fall NAL event. Hopefully his business partners at NAL realize that their reputation is on the line here as well and call his bluff.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He already does block NL from playing in ML events. That was 2 to NL though and I think 9 to DCE.
When are NL and DCE and the rest of America going to just block this guy?? Don’t support his events, don’t let him in. These kids deserve better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am pretty sure a few kids from ML also went to NL. So is CM also going to try to block them?

They already block teams from the NLF so I wouldn’t be surprised.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Block on what basis? Is it making a claim to the former ML kids on the DCE roster or just generally arguing against their participation?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have watched DC play, and this is true, then he should get a medal for helping make the tournament better! Keeping it real yall, you know it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
He's just being CM - full of spite, doesnt really care about the kids and he knows he would lose. He tried to block all the DCE teams but the other NAL members laughed at him given the club has played the event for years. Apparently he then said how about just the 28s. They allegedly "reluctantly" agreed. Maybe it gets resolved and they come to their senses, but this is on brand for him. Just asked NL parents re NLF. He's blocked them for years.

Within the immediate DC area the worst "elite" team will be the rep for the region. Beyond absurd.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Capital area 2028 lacrosse has become a soap opera of mediocre lacrosse teams and general ridiculousness.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Capital area 2028 lacrosse has become a soap opera of mediocre lacrosse teams and general ridiculousness.
Anyone who has the time to bounce around these various threads from NY, MD, PA, etc will find that youth lacrosse is a soap opera everywhere one looks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have watched DC play, and this is true, then he should get a medal for helping make the tournament better! Keeping it real yall, you know it.

I have no idea what this was supposed to mean. DCE 28 hasn't had a game yet, so no one has watched them play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And creepy, mediocre fanboys like you follow closely along and can't seem to get enough.

Like Reply Quote
Page 219 of 260 1 2 217 218 219 220 221 259 260
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard