Anonymous #308560 08/29/20 02:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Many of the 2023 kids that made UA are 2022 holdbacks. So lame. But their parents can brag about making UA even though they needed to hold little Johnny back to do it. None of those kids would have made it if they stayed at 2022. Its not fair to the 2023 kids that didn't make it because they are playing on age.

Are you really still talking about the holdback issue? The way the lax world works.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
Anonymous #308563 08/29/20 03:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of the 2023 kids that made UA are 2022 holdbacks. So lame. But their parents can brag about making UA even though they needed to hold little Johnny back to do it. None of those kids would have made it if they stayed at 2022. Its not fair to the 2023 kids that didn't make it because they are playing on age.

Are you really still talking about the holdback issue? The way the lax world works.

Holdbacks will happening more and more with big college roster sizes due to corona virus

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308581 08/29/20 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As "bad" as it was before its gonna be real bad now. For the record I don't think its bad and families do their own thing but I can say I have spoke to at least 1/2 a dozen to a dozen lacrosse friends who will be reclassifying their kids due to covid. About 4 just did it and they are going to schools in Conn and Mass and another 1/2 dozen are starting the application process for next year and ALL will be reclassifying. Many others will be taking PG years. Taft on their instagram page is touting 3 new boys who are PGs who have already committed going to Duke, NC and Michigan. This is the new norm and these are boys who are clearly excellent and D1. So for all those who say it ain't fair - just like face masks - its going to be the new normal. Fair or not fair it is what it is and if a boy cant hang with another boy a year or so older then they shouldn't be seeking to playing the game at a high level (UA tryouts). BTW my kid goes to public school so not held back and not TAFT and I really hope my sons team never plays TAFT!

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308585 08/29/20 07:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. You have to stop complaining about the holdbacks. The boys are in high school now and they are playing against older kids. The holdback issue is valid in 3rd & 4th grade. At this point, it is just whining.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308617 08/30/20 09:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. You have to stop complaining about the holdbacks. The boys are in high school now and they are playing against older kids. The holdback issue is valid in 3rd & 4th grade. At this point, it is just whining.

I thought only the MD parents held their kids back? You FLIDs in on the act now too? Better not hear you whining on the sideline anymore - except in 3rd and 4th grade apparently.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #308625 08/30/20 12:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My older son plays D1 at a top program. He’s actually young for his Grade and was a varsity high school starter As a freshman.I have to disagree with you. In high school you have a mix of mostly 17 and 16-year-olds and sometimes younger. At least there is some older kids On the high school team. When you go to Maryland and play kids that are a year older or from Canada who are sometimes two years older than your entire team it is frustrating. However it made my kid a better player and we never complained. The ones I feel bad for are the kids that would have beenBeen a division one player but the holdbacks or reclass kids took their spots.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308648 08/31/20 07:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its funny how parents are so angry at that those celebrities who paid for there kids to get into college yet this stuff goes on in youth lacrosse. Hypocrites.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308649 08/31/20 07:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My older son plays D1 at a top program. He’s actually young for his Grade and was a varsity high school starter As a freshman.I have to disagree with you. In high school you have a mix of mostly 17 and 16-year-olds and sometimes younger. At least there is some older kids On the high school team. When you go to Maryland and play kids that are a year older or from Canada who are sometimes two years older than your entire team it is frustrating. However it made my kid a better player and we never complained. The ones I feel bad for are the kids that would have beenBeen a division one player but the holdbacks or reclass kids took their spots.

I feel badly for the kids at Taft who thought they would start/play this Spring only to learn 3 D1 commits are showing up. It's the nature of boarding schools but it's still a bummer to watch the PGs play from the bench.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308687 08/31/20 11:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son reclassed this spring for non covid reasons as applications were due before any lockdowns were in place. I am not against or for reclassifying as kids do it for different reasons. My son for academic/ LD reasons others for athletic. Reality is he was shocked to find out this week there are multiple others in every grade who have reclassed and yes the Canadians are on grade but still as old or older. he is excited that there are 4 PG's on campus and 3-4 reclasses which will make the team better. he said no chance he makes varsity this season which is fine as he'll play much more on JV his freshman season. I was upset initially but he's fine with it so I have to be OK with all the reclasses. He just wants to play so who am I to judge.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308828 09/01/20 12:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son reclassed this spring for non covid reasons as applications were due before any lockdowns were in place. I am not against or for reclassifying as kids do it for different reasons. My son for academic/ LD reasons others for athletic. Reality is he was shocked to find out this week there are multiple others in every grade who have reclassed and yes the Canadians are on grade but still as old or older. he is excited that there are 4 PG's on campus and 3-4 reclasses which will make the team better. he said no chance he makes varsity this season which is fine as he'll play much more on JV his freshman season. I was upset initially but he's fine with it so I have to be OK with all the reclasses. He just wants to play so who am I to judge.

Its so great when parents say they are reclassifying for academic reasons. How about drop the lacrosse for homework or tutoring. And Canadians start kindergarten at 5 years old just like the US so if they are the same age or older as your son then they are holdbacks as well. Probably have the same academic problems. How nice of some parents to keep paying to do the same private school grades over and over because of their kids learning disabilities.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #308846 09/01/20 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So now w Covid, kids that have repeated early on are now going to PG too. So now my son who doesn't want to PG will need to compete against kids two years his age for College spots in a few years? When does this stop? Can they repeat twice and then PG too?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308930 09/02/20 11:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Showtime is a multi-day format which is much different than the single day showcases. Single day formats do not really allow the teams to get to know one another so players are bit more selfish with the ball or stand around waiting for the ball so he can make a dodge through multiple players. If you are prepping for Showtime then consider a multi-day prospect day which is more expensive but the kids develop a rapport with one another and play much better team ball. Not to exclude defensive players but slides happen more frequently and is just an all around better experience.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #309046 09/03/20 03:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So now w Covid, kids that have repeated early on are now going to PG too. So now my son who doesn't want to PG will need to compete against kids two years his age for College spots in a few years? When does this stop? Can they repeat twice and then PG too?

As long as the sport openly encourages holding back players, it's going to keep surging. "Top 10" 2022 list including DOB shows everyone how rigged it all is. One kid is older than a freshman I have in college. The myth of #1 ranked player "playing up for 2 years" is burst.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #309164 09/04/20 10:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mean you’re not really “playing up” 2 years if you are the same age as the kids on the team your are playing up on? Are you? Just another ego inflating thing parents tell themselves. I would expect any kid to look like a super star against kids 2 years younger than them. My senior in high school right now is a 4/04 birthday. September 02 is way old for a junior no matter how you slice it.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #309171 09/05/20 06:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I mean you’re not really “playing up” 2 years if you are the same age as the kids on the team your are playing up on? Are you? Just another ego inflating thing parents tell themselves. I would expect any kid to look like a super star against kids 2 years younger than them. My senior in high school right now is a 4/04 birthday. September 02 is way old for a junior no matter how you slice it.

All true, but allow me to let you in on a little secret: not only do the the college coaches not care, they actually LOVE holdbacks. The #1 kid in 2021 is a massive holdback and should be in college rather than starting his junior year. And yet, per the story in IL, his phone exploded at midnight on 9/1. He will have his pick of any school in the country. The only ones who care about holdbacks are other parents....You really, really need to understand that.

Like Reply Quote
Page 8 of 23 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 22 23
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard
BOTC SPONSORS