A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
This is complete BS. Those public school kids still have to pass Admissions, still have to have the grades, still have to be NCAA eligible with a pairing of GPA and test scores to make them eligible. Those public school kids work very hard to get where they are going in D1, mostly in non-hot bed areas where they have spent their entire childhoods working on their own and putting in the time on the field and in the classroom. These kids are the very definition of hard work.
Maybe historically East coast prep schools sent the most kids to play D1, but times are changing and athletes are coming from all over the country ready to compete with any kid in college. To say that public school kids are not “prepared” to go to college because their parents can’t afford more than the average US citizens yearly take home pay in tuition is the most privileged statement I have ever heard. And the LAX community wonders why our sport is looked down upon by being a white rich kid sport. Stop perpetuating the idea that you have to be a prep school kid to be a successful athlete in college, that myth is debunked by every student athlete that graduates every year despite their parents income tax bracket and despite their high school.
Nothing is absolute, just like all the kids in prep schools who pay $65k a year that don’t get into a top level D1 programs.

The prep school truther apparently hasn't looked at a college lacrosse roster recently. Go pull up any Ivy, Big East, Big Ten or ACC roster, they're littered with kids who graduated from CSH, Garden City, Manhasset, Ward Melville, SWR, John Jay, Yorktown, Bronxville, Darien, Greenwich, etc...
Some of the richest parts on Li and Connecticut schools .

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
Anonymous #307624 08/19/20 07:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is complete BS. Those public school kids still have to pass Admissions, still have to have the grades, still have to be NCAA eligible with a pairing of GPA and test scores to make them eligible. Those public school kids work very hard to get where they are going in D1, mostly in non-hot bed areas where they have spent their entire childhoods working on their own and putting in the time on the field and in the classroom. These kids are the very definition of hard work.
Maybe historically East coast prep schools sent the most kids to play D1, but times are changing and athletes are coming from all over the country ready to compete with any kid in college. To say that public school kids are not “prepared” to go to college because their parents can’t afford more than the average US citizens yearly take home pay in tuition is the most privileged statement I have ever heard. And the LAX community wonders why our sport is looked down upon by being a white rich kid sport. Stop perpetuating the idea that you have to be a prep school kid to be a successful athlete in college, that myth is debunked by every student athlete that graduates every year despite their parents income tax bracket and despite their high school.
Nothing is absolute, just like all the kids in prep schools who pay $65k a year that don’t get into a top level D1 programs.

The prep school truther apparently hasn't looked at a college lacrosse roster recently. Go pull up any Ivy, Big East, Big Ten or ACC roster, they're littered with kids who graduated from CSH, Garden City, Manhasset, Ward Melville, SWR, John Jay, Yorktown, Bronxville, Darien, Greenwich, etc...
Some of the richest parts on Li and Connecticut schools .

Less than 25 percent of college rosters come from public schools including the ones you mention. Much harder to get a D1 offer for a public school kid. One reason for this is public school kids are more likely to be the proper age. If you are the proper age and get a D1 offer it is a special accomplishment but if you are from a public school and are proper age you beat all odds and have to be proud.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #307628 08/19/20 08:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It still does happen for Public School kids but there is no doubt it is a harder road. Prep kids are more prepared for college is ever aspect and the coaches know that going into it and if it came down to a public or prep kid they will take the prep kid . Go to any founders league game in May it is loaded with ever Div 1 coach you do not see that anymore with the Public schools

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #307686 08/19/20 04:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok I don’t want to get into a war of words here but my kid plays club in Baltimore. Very
private school heavy as well. Our team is all private but maybe 5. No one on our team is going Div 1. There are major wannabes, but they are just that, wannabes.
I came here to say that these public school educators have had all of the Covid-time in the world to create ways to keep these kids playing and busy but haven’t lifted a finger because THEY JUST DON’T HAVE TO. That is where the wheat separates. The private coaches their job depends on it and kids come to them. Their livelihood depends on it.
Public school coaches don’t.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #307694 08/19/20 05:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It still does happen for Public School kids but there is no doubt it is a harder road. Prep kids are more prepared for college is ever aspect and the coaches know that going into it and if it came down to a public or prep kid they will take the prep kid . Go to any founders league game in May it is loaded with ever Div 1 coach you do not see that anymore with the Public schools

The Nassau and Suffolk public school regional team tryouts had every D1 Coach (some multiple) and all the D3 coaches that the kids would want to go to. All coaches went to the tournament also.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #308005 08/23/20 11:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]It still does happen for Public School kids but there is no doubt it is a harder road. Prep kids are more prepared for college is ever aspect and the coaches know that going into it and if it came down to a public or prep kid they will take the prep kid . Go to any founders league game in May it is loaded with ever Div 1 coach you do not see that anymore with the Public schools

Prep programs are like colleges were in the 80's and early 90's. They have recruiting lists, several coaches, funds for trips, alumni outreach programs, offseason programs, gym times, on and on. Public HS who compete and thrive on national level with grassroots efforts and local community (Darien, Yorktown, Duxbury, Manhasset, GC) deserve medals.

I'm sick of lacrosse media putting public and private into the same bucket to rank and judge them.

By the way, the prep surge is a recent phenomenon. Most of the New England preps were not generating many D1 lacrosse players until surge in the 2000's. The prep league with the PG's definitely cranked up their programs-- they used tons of cash, recruited players, and turned into lax factories (Taft, Culver, Brunswick, St Sebastians, etc.) because, like D1 football and hoops, it boosts alumni giving and creates demand from rich local clients (students).

Its pathetic and backwards that lacrosse recruiting to bigtime college programs is so concentrated in such few HS and club programs. With lacrosse growing in popularity across the country, its amazing how such few programs dominate the top recruiting scene. As if the 18th kid on Taft is better than the entire state of Minnesota or Georgia. Please.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308007 08/23/20 11:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conservatively there are 5-6 potential D1 players on the 91 Warriors but they are not a typical B team. Too bad they didn’t get a chance to show it this year.

Every year 91 has the best B team and I agree every year those teams have many D1 players. However, when it comes time for recruiting those kids go to low level D2 and low level D3 schools. A couple each year will make a decent academic school. It is rare 91 B team players go D1 or go to a great school. Just look at the history. Every year the parents think their team is the exception. They find out they are wrong when it is too late. 2021 Ambush 91 is very good. Handful of commits all d2 and most schools people never heard of. 2020 and 2019 same thing. Great b teams with D1 players but 91 could not place many at a D1 or decent school. Rebels , Legacy and FLG placing many D1s for 2021. Parents have to look at the end game. Check your ego at the door, Trust me your ego will feel a lot better when you say your kid played for the Rebels or FLG but are playing D1 or at a great academic school.

Why would a college coach take a player from one of these teams (Rebels, FLG ect.) over a player that is better but is on 91 B team.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308012 08/23/20 04:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Conservatively there are 5-6 potential D1 players on the 91 Warriors but they are not a typical B team. Too bad they didn’t get a chance to show it this year.

Every year 91 has the best B team and I agree every year those teams have many D1 players. However, when it comes time for recruiting those kids go to low level D2 and low level D3 schools. A couple each year will make a decent academic school. It is rare 91 B team players go D1 or go to a great school. Just look at the history. Every year the parents think their team is the exception. They find out they are wrong when it is too late. 2021 Ambush 91 is very good. Handful of commits all d2 and most schools people never heard of. 2020 and 2019 same thing. Great b teams with D1 players but 91 could not place many at a D1 or decent school. Rebels , Legacy and FLG placing many D1s for 2021. Parents have to look at the end game. Check your ego at the door, Trust me your ego will feel a lot better when you say your kid played for the Rebels or FLG but are playing D1 or at a great academic school.

Why would a college coach take a player from one of these teams (Rebels, FLG ect.) over a player that is better but is on 91 B team.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308029 08/23/20 08:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They would not. Ultimately it comes down to how good the player is. If they are not D1 they will not make a D1 school most of the time. BUT IF THEY ARE D1 THEY STILL MAY NOT MAKE D1. FLG and Rebels have legit D1 players for 2021. I think 91 B 2021 has a few too but 91B will almost never get a kid into D1. Those teams FLG and Rebels ( and Outlaws when the Rebels Directors were Outlaws Directors) always place D1 kids every year. 91 B and other big club B teams almost never do even though they have legit D1 players. So if a kid wants to go D1 or high level D3 he is better off going to FLG, Rebels etc. who have Directors with a history of placing kids at great schools rather that 91 B, Express B etc. who have a history of placing kids at schools people never heard of. This topic started with a 91 parent saying 2023 91B team has a bunch of D1 players. If they are smart they will go to FLG or Rebels. History is not kind to where legit D1 91 B team players go to college.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308238 08/26/20 09:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello. Quick question. My son is a 2024, so please humor me. He's going to be attending Showtime next summer but I wanted to get him used to the Showcase format. Are there any showcases that would be worthwhile to send my son as a 2024. Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #308244 08/26/20 12:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There probably aren't any worthwhile showcases for 2024. Most colleges aren't looking at that graduation year yet. My son went to Showtime last year ('23), and was scheduled for this year but due to COVID, he will go next summer. Great experience but college coaches are there mostly for older groups. I would recommend waiting till next year after Showtime to dabble into other showcases.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308245 08/26/20 12:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not only are the Division 1 colleges looking for top players and not players from B teams but the the majority of players taken by Division 1 are prep or Parochial school kids. Public School kids are at a big disadvantage even if on a top club. I think a 91 goalie recently made a top D1 team playing on 91 B team so It does happen but it is rare.

So many of you talk about boys who are on B teams at 13, 14 & 15 years old as if they are talentless bums. First off, do you have any idea how much politics takes place in the formation of these A teams? Every A team has at least one coach's kid who shouldn't be on the team, then there are the friends and family of the coaches and directors, or what about when there are a bunch of kids from the same town so that the 'stud' player has someone to carpool with. Are you completely unaware of the parents who slip an extra envelope to the director to get their son onto one of these 'A' teams? Oh yeah, that happens. Go through 91, Express, Igloo and S2S and there are 8-10 boys on each A team roster who barely get into games or strategically play vs lousy teams. I'm not saying there are 8-10 boys on each B team who could take their spots but there are easily 2-3 boys on these B teams who could compete at the A level if they could break through the nonsense. I've seen situations where a 'B' player is a starter on their high school team over an 'A' team player from the same club. I'd take the high school coach's evaluation over the club director's any day in that situation.

Secondly, do you realize that every kid develops at their own pace? Some are early bloomers, some are undersized throughout grade school and then spring up in 9th grade after all these teams have been selected (try breaking onto one of these clubs for the first time in high school). Even professional sports teams misevaluate players and make terrible mistakes, that's how you get busts like Sam Bowie going over MJ just to name the most famous. Bet you haven't heard that Tom Brady was a sixth rounder! Mike Piazza was taken in the last round of the MLB draft. 13 NBA teams passed on Giannis and he's about to win his 2nd consecutive MVP. What makes you think a random club lacrosse coach or director makes all the right decisions?

Finally, with two boys going through the club scene over the last 10 years, I've seen plenty of "A" players come down to fill out their club's B team for a random tournament and do absolutely nothing and I've seen "B" players step up to fill in for an injured "A" player and dominate like they should have been there the whole time. 'A' rankings and 'B' rankings are fluid terms and subject to change. Take a look at the ebb and flow of some of these top LI teams for 2023, one in particular has fallen off significantly b/c they held on too long to a core that was strong in 2016 & 2017 and haven't made the difficult decision of telling some of their 'A' players the truth.

My son used to play for Express. Two of his teammates were VERY good but could never get pulled up to the A team due to the political nonsense. They both ended up playing for other clubs. One got recruited to Maryland and the other is going to Denver.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308248 08/26/20 01:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There probably aren't any worthwhile showcases for 2024. Most colleges aren't looking at that graduation year yet. My son went to Showtime last year ('23), and was scheduled for this year but due to COVID, he will go next summer. Great experience but college coaches are there mostly for older groups. I would recommend waiting till next year after Showtime to dabble into other showcases.

Colleges aint look at anyone . Everything so F’*?k up at college level and recruiting now you will start seeing colleges get rid of the non revenue sports like lacrosse .

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308249 08/26/20 01:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hello. Quick question. My son is a 2024, so please humor me. He's going to be attending Showtime next summer but I wanted to get him used to the Showcase format. Are there any showcases that would be worthwhile to send my son as a 2024. Thanks.
Doing the same with my '24. Not to catch the coaches eye but to get him used to the format. Due to schedule and location we landed on Apex Fall Showcase in October.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308254 08/26/20 03:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Colleges aint look at anyone . Everything so F’*?k up at college level and recruiting now you will start seeing colleges get rid of the non revenue sports like lacrosse .

Look at NYIT! Not good!

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 23 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 22 23
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard
BOTC SPONSORS