Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not only are the Division 1 colleges looking for top players and not players from B teams but the the majority of players taken by Division 1 are prep or Parochial school kids. Public School kids are at a big disadvantage even if on a top club. I think a 91 goalie recently made a top D1 team playing on 91 B team so It does happen but it is rare.

So many of you talk about boys who are on B teams at 13, 14 & 15 years old as if they are talentless bums. First off, do you have any idea how much politics takes place in the formation of these A teams? Every A team has at least one coach's kid who shouldn't be on the team, then there are the friends and family of the coaches and directors, or what about when there are a bunch of kids from the same town so that the 'stud' player has someone to carpool with. Are you completely unaware of the parents who slip an extra envelope to the director to get their son onto one of these 'A' teams? Oh yeah, that happens. Go through 91, Express, Igloo and S2S and there are 8-10 boys on each A team roster who barely get into games or strategically play vs lousy teams. I'm not saying there are 8-10 boys on each B team who could take their spots but there are easily 2-3 boys on these B teams who could compete at the A level if they could break through the nonsense. I've seen situations where a 'B' player is a starter on their high school team over an 'A' team player from the same club. I'd take the high school coach's evaluation over the club director's any day in that situation.

Secondly, do you realize that every kid develops at their own pace? Some are early bloomers, some are undersized throughout grade school and then spring up in 9th grade after all these teams have been selected (try breaking onto one of these clubs for the first time in high school). Even professional sports teams misevaluate players and make terrible mistakes, that's how you get busts like Sam Bowie going over MJ just to name the most famous. Bet you haven't heard that Tom Brady was a sixth rounder! Mike Piazza was taken in the last round of the MLB draft. 13 NBA teams passed on Giannis and he's about to win his 2nd consecutive MVP. What makes you think a random club lacrosse coach or director makes all the right decisions?

Finally, with two boys going through the club scene over the last 10 years, I've seen plenty of "A" players come down to fill out their club's B team for a random tournament and do absolutely nothing and I've seen "B" players step up to fill in for an injured "A" player and dominate like they should have been there the whole time. 'A' rankings and 'B' rankings are fluid terms and subject to change. Take a look at the ebb and flow of some of these top LI teams for 2023, one in particular has fallen off significantly b/c they held on too long to a core that was strong in 2016 & 2017 and haven't made the difficult decision of telling some of their 'A' players the truth.

My son used to play for Express. Two of his teammates were VERY good but could never get pulled up to the A team due to the political nonsense. They both ended up playing for other clubs. One got recruited to Maryland and the other is going to Denver.

That is the point everyone is trying to make. Had those players stayed on Express B they would not have played D1. The B teams from Express, Igloo and 91 all have D1 players but do not get the looks by top colleges. When a call does come in for one of them the club coach directs them to a kid on the top team.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2023-10th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
Anonymous #308277 08/26/20 08:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There probably aren't any worthwhile showcases for 2024. Most colleges aren't looking at that graduation year yet. My son went to Showtime last year ('23), and was scheduled for this year but due to COVID, he will go next summer. Great experience but college coaches are there mostly for older groups. I would recommend waiting till next year after Showtime to dabble into other showcases.

Colleges aint look at anyone . Everything so F’*?k up at college level and recruiting now you will start seeing colleges get rid of the non revenue sports like lacrosse .

Believe it some nuts parents out there . Believe it .

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308310 08/27/20 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody attend the UA All America tryout for the LI team yesterday?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308324 08/27/20 11:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, mostly 91 and express, some igloo. Same issue every year... kids were picked before heading to Jersey.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308326 08/27/20 11:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The great political spectacular! Just look at the coaches and you’ll be able to yell who made the team regardless of tryout performance. Framingdale kids just need to run up and down for show and they’ll make it. 91 Daddy coach is going to take care of his boys, and S2s director will make sure he’s represented so they can post that on the website.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #308367 08/27/20 06:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes, mostly 91 and express, some igloo. Same issue every year... kids were picked before heading to Jersey.
Best players from the best teams - makes sense.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308369 08/27/20 07:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The great political spectacular! Just look at the coaches and you’ll be able to yell who made the team regardless of tryout performance. Framingdale kids just need to run up and down for show and they’ll make it. 91 Daddy coach is going to take care of his boys, and S2s director will make sure he’s represented so they can post that on the website.

Igloo director asked to evaluate and No showed so as mad as I will be if our boys don’t get picked most of my anger will go to our leader Of course people will take care of their own Where was TA or coavhes well we know why one wasn’t asked because he’s embarrassing

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308372 08/27/20 07:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo director asked to evaluate and No showed so as mad as I will be if our boys don’t get picked most of my anger will go to our leader Of course people will take care of their own Where was TA or coavhes well we know why one wasn’t asked because he’s embarrassing
1. So your son plays for igloo?
2. It’s ok for evaluators to self serve?
3. Or maybe, your just a troll from another club stirringly up again.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308377 08/27/20 08:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo....They are done. TA cared about the 21s and 22s. the 2023 is decent. After that total train wreck. He just doesnt have the network to scale his business. He and Crommy should have put their names on more teams. Nobody does it as good as CoachC

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308380 08/27/20 09:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best players from the best teams - makes sense.

Some of 91, igloo and express are the best. Yes without a doubt. But funny how some kids from some other Long Island clubs that are not igloo, express or 91 AA teams make Maverik showtime all star team ahead of those same 91, igloo and express kids that get picked for Nassau or Suffolk regional team and UA All American. Don’t fool yourself. Politics plays a big part in these teams selections on Long Island.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #308402 08/28/20 08:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo....They are done. TA cared about the 21s and 22s. the 2023 is decent. After that total train wreck. He just doesnt have the network to scale his business. He and Crommy should have put their names on more teams. Nobody does it as good as CoachC

TA should of been there. Every club is invited to evaluate

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308410 08/28/20 09:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo definitely has been going downhill. Especially after their political games with coaching and selected players.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #308424 08/28/20 10:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo definitely has been going downhill. Especially after their political games with coaching and selected players.

Cronyism. Option was there to pick better players/students in the past 4-5 years for '21-'23. It would have built the reputation in a different way. Chose to stick with friends and fill pocket from those who play the political game. At least six players from each age group shouldn't be on the team.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308431 08/28/20 11:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cronyism. Option was there to pick better players/students in the past 4-5 years for '21-'23. It would have built the reputation in a different way. Chose to stick with friends and fill pocket from those who play the political game. At least six players from each age group shouldn't be on the team.[/quote]

I'll bet those 6 kids have super nice parents who don't spend their days on these boards.

Like Reply Quote
TheBackOfTheCage #308553 08/29/20 01:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many of the 2023 kids that made UA are 2022 holdbacks. So lame. But their parents can brag about making UA even though they needed to hold little Johnny back to do it. None of those kids would have made it if they stayed at 2022. Its not fair to the 2023 kids that didn't make it because they are playing on age.

Like Reply Quote
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard
BOTC SPONSORS