Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How often do you have to nudge your girls to practice on her own? My kid loves the sport but usually needs prodding to go outside and do her reps. She’s only 11 so maybe this is typical and it’ll get better as she gets older…or is that wishful thinking?

Too much lol. I basically tell her that you will get out of these sports what you put into it, outside of regular team practice. If you want to get better, make it happen. And also that travel sports are expensive and that I’m not paying for it so she can be casual about it. If I’m paying out in extra work. Does she listen? To a certain degree but that is most of the girls I think. I also don’t want to push her. These are just games/sports right? And she’s involved in 4 sports right now so where do you find time with much of them year round.

I have an older one who's 14 and she goes outside to practice on her own, working on stick tricks, perfecting her "around the world" and so forth. When she was 12, I had to "remind" her to do wall ball. My 12 year old still needs "reminding." There may be a light at the end of the tunnel for you. I feel it may be age-based or because of wanting to compete with the older girls. I'll let you know for sure in two years.

But in my experience, the thing that works best, it's corny and the subject of TV commercials, is "Hey, you girls wanna go have a catch?" We can be out there for an hour (and I never played lacrosse, they are gracious with me). Everyone has fun. Especially them ... making fun of me.