Re: Age Verification
GoodSport #96035 11/20/14 04:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe it is a Canadian thing. The APEX teams from Canada who played this past weekend had many kids who were in the grade a year older than the published division. 2019 grad years playing on the 2020 team - they openly discussed it on the field and saw nothing wrong with it. What they said on the field was easily validated as a few weekends before the same team played Hogan and self reported grad years of 2019. Their stick skills not too great so they tried to make up for it by brute force and physical play. It will take a life changing injury and lawsuit to make them think twice about not validating grades and ages in the youth divisions.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #96041 11/20/14 05:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Edge are a bunch of thugs whose behavior is better suited to a hockey team. I wish tournament organizers in the US would tell them to stay home.

They play tough because they are more exposed to box lacrosse. Nothing "thuggery" about that. If the refs don't call the fouls, then they must not be fouls. Personally, I like their toughness.
Stick skill wise they have finesse, on defense I will admit they lack composure. That doesn't mean they shouldn't get an invite.

Is there a rule on stick length? When my son's team played them at Cornell their shorty sticks looked unusually short....as in impossible to check short.

if playing HS rules yes. pretty ballzy to ask for a stick check. never heard of one in a youth game, but I guess this isn't youth anymore.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96058 11/20/14 07:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe it is a Canadian thing. The APEX teams from Canada who played this past weekend had many kids who were in the grade a year older than the published division. 2019 grad years playing on the 2020 team - they openly discussed it on the field and saw nothing wrong with it. What they said on the field was easily validated as a few weekends before the same team played Hogan and self reported grad years of 2019. Their stick skills not too great so they tried to make up for it by brute force and physical play. It will take a life changing injury and lawsuit to make them think twice about not validating grades and ages in the youth divisions.

It is easy (as many have done) to dismiss the age differential that is now showing up due to non-age based teams as a relatively minor matter. After all, the argument goes, good players play up etc... the risk of injury also seems to get discounted as just a "risk of the game".

As the parent of a 6th grader playing on a AA 20/21 team at the Autumn Classic last weekend I saw the Apex 2020 team and it was very good with very, very big, and very physical players. Only by the luck of the brackets did my son's team not play Apex and for that I am thankful. Otherwise 6th graders would have been playing big 8th graders (who were all 4-6 inches taller and 20 to 30 pounds heavier). A player is going to get badly hurt. I am seriously considering pulling my son out of lacrosse, a sport he loves, and have him play soccer.

This is a big issue that is changing youth lacrosse as I write this and it is not going to go away.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96060 11/20/14 07:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out the team photos from Facebook

2019: http://instagram.com/p/vgj0CbktxN/

2020: http://instagram.com/p/vgiMrlkt1k/

one year difference? I think not!

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96066 11/20/14 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
13 years old? Maybe the coach is a [lacrosse].

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #96071 11/20/14 09:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
13 years old? Maybe the coach is a [lacrosse].

Wow a lot of those boys are bigger than the kids on my kid's 2017 team and we have some 6'2" 190 lb boys. Granted there are typically a few early bloomers but they look 15 or 16.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96128 11/21/14 12:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Check out the team photos from Facebook

2019: http://instagram.com/p/vgj0CbktxN/

2020: http://instagram.com/p/vgiMrlkt1k/

one year difference? I think not!

Other boards are beginning to cite the Age Verification board and this thread about Edge Lacrosse. I think everyone who understands what they are doing will be thoroughly appalled, it really is revolting and something should be done. I sent an email to the coach of my sons team asking him to not register in any tournaments the Edge is playing in.

Something needs to be done.

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96142 11/21/14 02:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is all about the MONEY!!!! The (men?) running these top teams are also running these tournaments! How come one of the biggest L.I. tournaments didn't even ask for waivers last year? So teams could play down or liability when a fifth grader gets paralyzed by a seventh grader on the same field! They are not playing for glory, but so that team can win and said team can make more MONEY!!! The new angle is these teams are fielding and entering multiple teams per grade level and combining kids from both teams to which ever team makes finals!!!
How come when these kids hit High School level and can not play down (because the recruiters are watching) these great TEAMS can't win a game!!!
For all the Teams playing at the right level and putting their kids in the best Colleges, we look forward to playing these teams in the future. This is not about the MONEY but the KIDS and the legacy of this great game.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96147 11/21/14 02:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is all about the MONEY!!!! The (men?) running these top teams are also running these tournaments! How come one of the biggest L.I. tournaments didn't even ask for waivers last year? So teams could play down or liability when a fifth grader gets paralyzed by a seventh grader on the same field! They are not playing for glory, but so that team can win and said team can make more MONEY!!! The new angle is these teams are fielding and entering multiple teams per grade level and combining kids from both teams to which ever team makes finals!!!
How come when these kids hit High School level and can not play down (because the recruiters are watching) these great TEAMS can't win a game!!!
For all the Teams playing at the right level and putting their kids in the best Colleges, we look forward to playing these teams in the future. This is not about the MONEY but the KIDS and the legacy of this great game.

It is about the money and the clubs and a completely ineffectual national organization, US Lacrosse, that has as its core mission precisely what it refuses to do, promote player safety. I would encourage concerned parents to contact US Lacrosse as I have done. I do not expect that any one complaint to US Lacrosse will do anything, but if enough people complain (and expose US Lacrosse for being completely ineffectual) then perhaps US Lacrosse will feel some pressure to do something. Anything at this point would be an improvement.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96165 11/21/14 06:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It is about the money and the clubs and a completely ineffectual national organization, US Lacrosse, that has as its core mission precisely what it refuses to do, promote player safety. I would encourage concerned parents to contact US Lacrosse as I have done. I do not expect that any one complaint to US Lacrosse will do anything, but if enough people complain (and expose US Lacrosse for being completely ineffectual) then perhaps US Lacrosse will feel some pressure to do something. Anything at this point would be an improvement.

Money is the root - Stop paying US lacrosse. Stop the source of money and force them to listen.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #96190 11/22/14 01:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3d does this with HS players, juniors play as 2017s claiming they are going to do a PG year then next tourney or even same tourney they are on a 2016 team. One kid played as a 2017 this summer then committed as a 2016 the following week. It is about winning so your club looks better.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96235 11/22/14 09:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was just alerted to this message board so please bear with me and let me get the facts in order regarding the Edge lacrosse program:

The Edge lacrosse program enters their teams in divisions that are one year younger than the actual age of their entire team? They are NOT reclassifying, they are just out right cheating. On top of this, some kid got his arm broken by one of the older Edge players. Do I have this all correct?

Who is permitting this to occur?
Who is ultimately liable if a player is seriously injured?
What can we do as parents to protect our children?
Any ideas?

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96240 11/22/14 11:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets not forget that the Edge team probably "re-classed" their "9th graders" last year anyway, so the "current 9th graders" they are recruiting for the 8th grade (2019) team are actually 10th graders. They can't get away with this in ice hockey, USA Hockey will not allow it, so they turn to lacrosse (since Canadians are terrible at football, baseball, soccer and basketball, all sports that are governed by birth year, enough said...)

Like Reply Quote
GoodSport #96242 11/22/14 11:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For 2017s Edge specifies 1998 birth year. In the US 2017s would be late 1998 and 1999s, depending on school enrollment cut offs.

The 2019 is the most shocking as they specify they want 9th graders ( 2018s ) and talented 8th graders, and will compete at u15 tourneys. With the exception of nationals i15 typically preclude high school players.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #96249 11/23/14 11:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We need to be vocal with our coaches and clubs who in turn must be vocal with the organizers of any tournament that Edge is entered in. US Lacrosse should be helping out here but they are not.

Like Reply Quote
Page 11 of 65 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 64 65
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard