Anonymous #49998 12/17/13 04:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There was a time when PGs were used to allow an athlete to improve his academic resume and spend an extra year preparing for the academic rigors of a top academic university (Ivy, Service Academy, etc...) I am okay with this. In this case, the agreement to PG occurs in Senior year.

HS Sophs agreeing to do PG years in order to attend UVA and PSU (after only Freshman grades are in) just doesn't make sense. The University admission departments should shut this down at it is a smear on the reputation of the university. Adults are not acting in the best interest of children.

Does Penn State admissions really believe that a current HS sophmore is unfit for admission in Fall 2016 but with one year of PG will be fit for admission in Fall 2017? Same for UVA? When does the applicant actually apply to the university?

So, when the kid "Athlete" did not have the grades to be accepted to an IVY League University after 3.5 years of HS he was able to go to a Prep School in order to get his grades up? Athletics were an after thought? In the old days, were any of the kids who needed a PG year also start kindergarden late?

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2018 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
CageSage #50003 12/17/13 05:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Our message board provides an equal opportunity for everyone to prove their foolishness. The poster who does not believe that the club has a role in social development is just taking advantage of the opportunity.

foolishness? these hold backs are committing to the top academic and top lacrosse schools in the country. Our kids are crying that it is not fair.

Is it cheating when a kid gets private lessons from Rob Parnell because his parents can afford it while a "better" player can only practice against the wall because that's all his folks can afford or is it fair that a really good player may never become a great player because he can not afford travel lacrosse? If you have the means and opportunity to advance your kid you do it.

For 3D to explain to their clients that repeating a grade is an option to help them get an advantage is not outrageous at all, in fact any organization that did not at least explain that as an option is not doing their job.

Anonymous #50004 12/17/13 05:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3d sent an e-mail to individuals attending the 3d bluechip camp

Included is a section with recruiting advice. This particular bullet from the recruiting timeline stood out for me:

PG year? Repeat junior year? Repeating the sophomore/freshmen/8th year is the smarter way to go as repeating sophomore or junior year is sometimes late for the class behind you.

This is the actual advice being provided by 3d to players

This IS good recruiting advice. - I know first hand of a kid who went to 3D as a 2016 and did not receive an invite to Jake Reed, he repeated 8th grade a re-classified as a 2017 and has now verbally committed to a top team and top school. How can anybody question their decision or question repeating 8th grade as a viable strategy?

Anonymous #50006 12/17/13 07:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the ultimate holding back - Casey Carroll will play his final season at Duke this year, Casey graduated Duke in '07 with one year of eligibility left but decided to do 5 years PG in Afghanistan, came back last year but hurt his leg so he red shirted and now, at age 29 will play his final year.

Or as most LI lax parents would say.....cheater

Anonymous #50013 12/17/13 11:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the ultimate holding back - Casey Carroll will play his final season at Duke this year, Casey graduated Duke in '07 with one year of eligibility left but decided to do 5 years PG in Afghanistan, came back last year but hurt his leg so he red shirted and now, at age 29 will play his final year.

No that would be an adult playing other adults. Your 16 yo playing against 14yo kids because he can't compete at his own age is CHEATING. Hope that clears it up for you... Nighty night.

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #50015 12/18/13 08:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Did Garden City have any holdbacks last Year? How about Ward Melville? I would bet that there are some boys at WM and GC who are holdbacks. ...

Only a fool would bet against you on that point.

Hold-backs in every grade, in almost every sport, here in the garden. There are always going to be kids who start late or are held back for developmental issues or concerns, in every school district. But then there are plenty of "gamers" who were held back (admittedly by their parents) to give them an advantage athletically and even academically. It's all a matter of degree. A kid born in mid-November ... not unreasonable to start school one grade back. But how about a kid with an August birthday? Less reasonable. It definitely happens all the time.

Doesn't mean these kids are dominant on the field or in the classroom, but at least some of them are. Also, it is undeniable that all of the hold-backs are performing better relative to the "grade" they are in than their age-based peers. Which is why the parents did what they did.

Not unlawful, but clearly the rest of our children are disadvantaged by this.

And there is certainly a stigma for some of the hold-backs, where it is known they are much older than the other kids in the grade. Every goal, every hit, every jump shot ... people say "he's good, but you know, he is a year older than everyone else out there". I have heard that at least 500 times over the years, and admittedly, have also said it myself.

This is the system. For now at least.

Anonymous #50022 12/18/13 10:17 AM
M
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
M

This comment is disgraceful! That fact that you would even mention his name and what he did for this country in this thread is unbelievable. He served his country and fought for your freedoms. The NCAA did the right and proper thing by waving the 5 in 4 rule for last year's season and after his injury before the season started last year by giving him his medical red-shirt to play this year. He is getting his well deserved chance to finish his dream of dodging an opponent on a DI college lacrosse field, instead of dodging a bullet in Afghanistan.

Last night, I sat my 8 yr old son and my 12 yr old nephew down and had them read about Casey Carroll and his sacrifices he made and his perseverance. This is what a true hero looks like! Show your kid what hard work looks like instead of showing them a shortcut to being one year bigger and stronger than their classmate/teammate!

Anonymous #50025 12/18/13 10:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not suggesting it is bad recruiting advice. 3d is doing right by its followers given the current landscape.

I am of the camp that believes that a boy who couldn't earn a roster spot when competing against kids his own age and therefore reclassifies and builds a resume based on playing against younger boys, simply isn't as good as the college coaches may think.

I believe and am rooting hard that the schools who early recruit re-classified players fail and fail miserably. I hope very much that UVA, JHU and UNC (who I see as worst offenders) underperform vs. recruiting class rank as UNC has done for years and UVA/JHU did last year. Specifically I expect these schools to lose top lax school status from 2017 onwards. The 2016 HS class is the class where the the line was really crossed this is why the 2017 season is the tell all season.

This IS good recruiting advice. - I know first hand of a kid who went to 3D as a 2016 and did not receive an invite to Jake Reed, he repeated 8th grade a re-classified as a 2017 and has now verbally committed to a top team and top school. How can anybody question their decision or question repeating 8th grade as a viable strategy?

Maniac #50041 12/18/13 02:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Maniac

This comment is disgraceful! That fact that you would even mention his name and what he did for this country in this thread is unbelievable. He served his country and fought for your freedoms. The NCAA did the right and proper thing by waving the 5 in 4 rule for last year's season and after his injury before the season started last year by giving him his medical red-shirt to play this year. He is getting his well deserved chance to finish his dream of dodging an opponent on a DI college lacrosse field, instead of dodging a bullet in Afghanistan.

Last night, I sat my 8 yr old son and my 12 yr old nephew down and had them read about Casey Carroll and his sacrifices he made and his perseverance. This is what a true hero looks like! Show your kid what hard work looks like instead of showing them a shortcut to being one year bigger and stronger than their classmate/teammate!

maniac i believe the poster was being sarcastic

Anonymous #50690 01/01/14 08:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So How does the LI competition stack up at this age group. There has to be more teams

91 Extreme
Team LI White
Terps
91 Orange
Jesters
fl$
Outlaws
Wolverines
Tomahawks

Sponsored Links
Anonymous #50717 01/02/14 09:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So How does the LI competition stack up at this age group. There has to be more teams

91 Extreme
Team LI White
Terps
91 Orange
Jesters
fl$
Outlaws
Wolverines
Tomahawks

IMHO you have 4 groups here

1) 91 Extreme in a class by themselves

2) TLI is an aged based team and not a 2018

3) Terps

4) Everybody else

Anonymous #50722 01/02/14 10:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very fair assessment

Anonymous #50724 01/02/14 10:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

91 Extreme
Team LI White
Terps
91 Orange
Jesters
fl$
Outlaws
Wolverines
Tomahawks

3) Terps

4) Everybody else

Son not on Extreme, TLI or Terps. Fair statement, until proven otherwise. My guess is the Terps will get some tougher than expected games from the everybody else category this summer.

Anonymous #50725 01/02/14 11:24 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

91 Extreme
Team LI White
Terps
91 Orange
Jesters
fl$
Outlaws
Wolverines
Tomahawks

3) Terps

4) Everybody else

Son not on Extreme, TLI or Terps. Fair statement, until proven otherwise. My guess is the Terps will get some tougher than expected games from the everybody else category this summer.

Not sure why you isolate the TERPs, I think the "Everybody else" group will provide challenges to any of, what is deemed, the top 3.

Anonymous #50730 01/02/14 12:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

91 Extreme
Team LI White
Terps
91 Orange
Jesters
fl$
Outlaws
Wolverines
Tomahawks

3) Terps

4) Everybody else

I would rank them the same way, but I wouldn't put 91 in a class by themselves! They are not dominant like the Turtles or what Crush is doing. Terps gave them fits last summer and TLI always gives them fits. That being said they earned the 1 spot, but they can be beat. Being in a class by yourself means that you are head and shoulders better than everyone else. Not the case here!

Page 30 of 123 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 122 123

Link Copied to Clipboard