BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,842
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 188 of 215 1 2 186 187 188 189 190 214 215
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Whoever says or even thinks that varsity in the talent rich long island and I can speak for Suffolk is not a good measure and watered down is delusional and caught up in the money grab of travel.Our schedule has 2 of the top 10 teams in the Country and high Quality section xi teams all throughout.Don’t know if any summer tournaments or even nationals that have that much talent pooled together.If your kid hasn’t played varsity(not made the team and watched)then you simply don’t know what your talking about.

Well said..HS still counts folks and your HS coach matters when it comes to recruiting. Dont be so ignorant

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Most High schools play their best players to win games it’s that simple.If you HS coach doesn’t then they shouldn’t be the coach.That’s the difference between travel which is a pay to play and varsity school ball which is the best kids play.No money involved on the High school level so coaches don’t have to worry about how much playing time and over rostered travel team geared to making money.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoever says or even thinks that varsity in the talent rich long island and I can speak for Suffolk is not a good measure and watered down is delusional and caught up in the money grab of travel.Our schedule has 2 of the top 10 teams in the Country and high Quality section xi teams all throughout.Don’t know if any summer tournaments or even nationals that have that much talent pooled together.If your kid hasn’t played varsity(not made the team and watched)then you simply don’t know what your talking about.

Well said..HS still counts folks and your HS coach matters when it comes to recruiting. Dont be so ignorant

I think it Depends on the HS? Don’t see many college coaches at HS games these days? Maybe the tippy top ranked HS games?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well that depends what HS you go to!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very few HS coaches have a impact in recruiting, especially on LI

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last season we had coaches at every late season game. Many times they are there watching their commits but they are there watching. Power conference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s comical how people who’s kids probably never made or played varsity YET say travel is way better competition.It’s not even a close comparison.Next we’ll hear how high level travel is more competitive than college.When you stop paying for the travel circuit some may come to their senses trying to justify getting ripped off to wear a certain uniform.

Sorry, It does not appear that you have a firm grasp on reality. I just looked quickly at the college commitment list for the Yellow Jackets 2022 class. Here is a quick breakdown.

18 Soffolk County HS Represented.
37 total commits from suffolk

4 Top Tier commits ( Top 20 type programs) from Suffolk County
also, 4 suffolk kids committed to SBU.

the balance of players going to to a variety of schools acrosse DI, DII and DIII.
Sorry but I do not believe that there is a HS in Suffolk that has 7 or more seniors on the roster heading to Top 20 DI schools. More like 1 or 2.
The Top Club teams do have several more top notch players.

Obviously the Long Island / Suffolk County talent is spread out.

This line of thinking is flawed because it is isolating it to just the Seniors. Long Island is so talent rich there is a deep Junior, Sophomore, and at some schools Freshman class who have top players/contributors at the Varsity level. I do understand some high schools are not fortunate to have such an embarrassment of riches, but there are enough schools to go around in Suffolk that do maintain this scenario, that it is indeed a talent-rich place to play. And to some of the other posters points, its at truer measure because the coaches play the best players because they want to win. There are no politics.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HS coaches for many players do not matter at all when it comes to recruiting.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The chances of going to a top 20 D1 college is very slim if you don’t start on a good HS team.And stats do matter.Some of you need to realize that behind the YJ’s and top gun caliber teams are successful HS coaches and programs.Some even run by D1coaches.In example Northport,Wantaugh and MS to name a few.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Whoever says or even thinks that

HS coaches matter because they are the 2nd opinion the college coach gets. HS play matters cause you learn to be good and play the actual sport on a team trying to win offense, defense and team concepts. Learning to excel and lead during meaningful games that you are relied on to win as a huge part of that team. Sometimes against older talent and coaches who plan schemes to stop you. I’d agree travel is bigger part in making you that better skilled player besides massive self motivated training.
Your HS season is more akin to a college season than 4-5 weekend tourneys over the summer. Learning those concepts on a good team doing what it takes to win.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Whoever says or even thinks that

HS coaches matter because they are the 2nd opinion the college coach gets. HS play matters cause you learn to be good and play the actual sport on a team trying to win offense, defense and team concepts. Learning to excel and lead during meaningful games that you are relied on to win as a huge part of that team. Sometimes against older talent and coaches who plan schemes to stop you. I’d agree travel is bigger part in making you that better skilled player besides massive self motivated training.
Your HS season is more akin to a college season than 4-5 weekend tourneys over the summer. Learning those concepts on a good team doing what it takes to win.

Anyone who fills out any forms for lacrosse stuff knows, that you are asked for HS coach name and email and Club Coach name and email.

There is a reason. HS coach input is very important. The HS coach has important perspective about a player as a teammate and as a student. They spend more time with the player day in , day out for a long HS lacrosse season. I think They get a better look into personality of how a player handles good and bad days. Strength of character. Probably even more important information a college coach needs to find a good recruit and teammate.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Finally some people with a real sense of the game.You hit it on the head with the last 2 posts.High School is and should be the heartbeat of Lacrosse.Both my kids played D1,my son got heavily recruited from the Suffolk all star game and only his HS coach was asked about him and my daughter got more looks from showcases and prospect days than travel tournaments.Although getting recruited during covid proved a little more challenging with university restrictions and dead periods but unless your travel coach has major contacts which some due most will tell a college coach what they want to hear about a paying customer and promote their club with commitments.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No offense says the backup for a career. Backups aren’t starters. Odds are they’ll never be cause playing is the best practice.

FYI, Lacrosse isn’t a career either. Some girls just want to be part of a team and hoping lacrosse will help open some doors for them and they enjoy being part of a team. Those girls May even just play for the club team in college, and put school first. Wow, go figure. Every girls goals are different.

Best post in a long time !!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very few HS coaches have a impact in recruiting, especially on LI

Completely wrong

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Finally some people with a real sense of the game.You hit it on the head with the last 2 posts.High School is and should be the heartbeat of Lacrosse.Both my kids played D1,my son got heavily recruited from the Suffolk all star game and only his HS coach was asked about him and my daughter got more looks from showcases and prospect days than travel tournaments.Although getting recruited during covid proved a little more challenging with university restrictions and dead periods but unless your travel coach has major contacts which some due most will tell a college coach what they want to hear about a paying customer and promote their club with commitments.

Finally a string of sensible and educated responses. THANK YOU

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel lacrosse has become a huge money grab.I’m passed that as a parent now but feel it’s turned way more into a business now than the love of the game.to be honest the tournaments and showcases have been watered down with to many teams accepted without being vetted,no playoffs just pool play and multiple locations for one tournament.That’s a recruiting nightmare for college coaches to jump around like that.Back in the day we used to rate them by single A,double AA brackets and games would be closely contested.now all you see lopsided scores which does neither team or player any good.Just the fact that travel rosters are at 24-26 players.All that means is your playing half a game or splitting major playing time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Travel lacrosse has become a huge money grab.I’m passed that as a parent now but feel it’s turned way more into a business now than the love of the game.to be honest the tournaments and showcases have been watered down with to many teams accepted without being vetted,no playoffs just pool play and multiple locations for one tournament.That’s a recruiting nightmare for college coaches to jump around like that.Back in the day we used to rate them by single A,double AA brackets and games would be closely contested.now all you see lopsided scores which does neither team or player any good.Just the fact that travel rosters are at 24-26 players.All that means is your playing half a game or splitting major playing time.

The travel clubs are doing g a huge disservice to the girls by chasing $$$s for themselves. Not what’s best for their teams or girls. I know it’s a business, but they are getting greedy!!! They were making plenty of profits before getting so involved in the “management”! Independent organizations should run the events and showcases.

They all seem to be involved with their hands in the pockets of the showcases now too. A lot of the stuff seems like a conflict of interest and money grabs more than usual. $700 price tag to do a showcase is becoming normal and that’s just crazy. Making it even more of an elitist sport. It’s a shame.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Breaking it down for you folks even further is the hotels and vendors jacking their prices up for tournament weekends.It’s kind of called extortion when you have to patronize a list of hotels at inflated prices or your roster won’t be accepted.And when did tourney t’s cost $35 bucks.Get ready to open your wallet for this summer circuit cause inflation has hit every market out there.I justified it back when we did it as being memory rich.Enjoy the ride you make it what it is.Only comes around once usually in a lifetime.Believe me when I tell you there are no tomorrow’s.It’s all over in the blink of an eye.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Breaking it down for you folks even further is the hotels and vendors jacking their prices up for tournament weekends.It’s kind of called extortion when you have to patronize a list of hotels at inflated prices or your roster won’t be accepted.And when did tourney t’s cost $35 bucks.Get ready to open your wallet for this summer circuit cause inflation has hit every market out there.I justified it back when we did it as being memory rich.Enjoy the ride you make it what it is.Only comes around once usually in a lifetime.Believe me when I tell you there are no tomorrow’s.It’s all over in the blink of an eye.

Thank you. I was told recently by a parent who has An older daughter and is done with the travel clubs and tournaments, to enjoy every single second / minute on the NJ turnpike, even in the worst traffic coming home On a Sunday night!

Embrace the time with your daughter, because as she tells me she would do anything for another one of those long tournament weekends with her daughter and that long drive home on a Sunday night! She also says like the previous poster, it felt like a blink of an eye. So, enjoy people and remember life is about moments! It will be money well spent, if you can afford to do it. Good luck to all the girls in their upcoming seasons!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When do NYSR tryout results come out?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they were sent out, hopefully you will get one. check your email

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they were sent out, hopefully you will get one. check your email

I think only some teams were sent out

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One of my favorite tournaments and places is Lake Placid.If you get the opportunity to do that one jump on it,some of my best family lax memories were at the Golden Arrow and the kids played on pristine field settings.The best part about it was it was mostly HS teams and non recruiting.There were college coaches there but it was a no pressure tourney that the kids just loved.We took over the town.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s a mass email, everyone should get the email at the same time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you. I was told recently by a parent who has An older daughter and is done with the travel clubs and tournaments, to enjoy every single second / minute on the NJ turnpike, even in the worst traffic coming home On a Sunday night!

Embrace the time with your daughter, because as she tells me she would do anything for another one of those long tournament weekends with her daughter and that long drive home on a Sunday night! She also says like the previous poster, it felt like a blink of an eye. So, enjoy people and remember life is about moments! It will be money well spent, if you can afford to do it. Good luck to all the girls in their upcoming seasons!

Life is about moments. So true in every sense of these words. People enjoy your daughters and forget about all of this nonsense.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s comical how people who’s kids probably never made or played varsity YET say travel is way better competition.It’s not even a close comparison.Next we’ll hear how high level travel is more competitive than college.When you stop paying for the travel circuit some may come to their senses trying to justify getting ripped off to wear a certain uniform.

Sorry, It does not appear that you have a firm grasp on reality. I just looked quickly at the college commitment list for the Yellow Jackets 2022 class. Here is a quick breakdown.

the balance of players going to to a variety of schools acrosse DI, DII and DIII.
Sorry but I do not believe that there is a HS in Suffolk that has 7 or more seniors on the roster heading to Top 20 DI schools. More like 1 or 2.

This line of thinking is flawed because it is isolating it to just the Seniors. Long Island is so talent rich there is a deep Junior, Sophomore, and at some schools Freshman class who have top players/contributors at the Varsity level. I do understand some high schools are not fortunate to have such an embarrassment of riches, but there are enough schools to go around in Suffolk that do maintain this scenario, that it is indeed a talent-rich place to play. And to some of the other posters points, its at truer measure because the coaches play the best players because they want to win. There are no politics.

No politics, really? Do players not improve from 9yh to 12th grade? There are only 20 - 30 legit top tier players per grad year spread out all across all of Long Island, there is not embarrassment of riches. The level Talent on the field when Top club teams (rising seniors) compete far exceeds the level of talent on the field in any Long Island HS game. Why do you think the best players go to the best club teams? They do it because they want to play with and against the best competition and the best players do not all come from one town and they certainly do not all come Long Island let alone Suffolk County.

As far as recruiting goes, I have had two go through the process, one was heavily recruited by several schools, we narrowed it down to 6 and she received offers from all (three current Top 5, one current Top 10, one current Top 20 and one from a program that is not usually ranked). The other was not heavily recruited and did not receive any offers from teams that were Top 20 at the time they were going through the recruiting process. Had interest from a number of schools but none were beating down the door. Narrowed it down to four and accepted an offer from a great school with a decent lacrosse program. HS Coach was not involved with their club teams and the HS Coach had no involvement with the recruiting process. College coaches watched them play primarily at Summer and Fall tournaments as well as one major winter recruiting camp and a few prospect days (one of which was kind of invite only at a Top 5 program).

The recruiting process will be different for everyone and If the HS coach is very involved with a major club and coaches your daughter on her club team I'm sure they will be involved in the recruiting process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No politics, really? Do players not improve from 9yh to 12th grade? There are only 20 - 30 legit top tier players per grad year spread out all across all of Long Island, there is not embarrassment of riches. The level Talent on the field when Top club teams (rising seniors) compete far exceeds the level of talent on the field in any Long Island HS game. Why do you think the best players go to the best club teams? They do it because they want to play with and against the best competition and the best players do not all come from one town and they certainly do not all come Long Island let alone Suffolk County.

As far as recruiting goes, I have had two go through the process, one was heavily recruited by several schools, we narrowed it down to 6 and she received offers from all (three current Top 5, one current Top 10, one current Top 20 and one from a program that is not usually ranked). The other was not heavily recruited and did not receive any offers from teams that were Top 20 at the time they were going through the recruiting process. Had interest from a number of schools but none were beating down the door. Narrowed it down to four and accepted an offer from a great school with a decent lacrosse program. HS Coach was not involved with their club teams and the HS Coach had no involvement with the recruiting process. College coaches watched them play primarily at Summer and Fall tournaments as well as one major winter recruiting camp and a few prospect days (one of which was kind of invite only at a Top 5 program).

The recruiting process will be different for everyone and If the HS coach is very involved with a major club and coaches your daughter on her club team I'm sure they will be involved in the recruiting process.

People will say well connected club coaches don’t make a difference but they really do give kids the edge

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

People will say well connected club coaches don’t make a difference but they really do give kids the edge

You rising Jrs. on good HS teams are lucky. Last year the girls were screwed by section X1 who decided to hold playoff games the weekends of major recruiting tournaments. A shame they got punished after having to deal with all the COVID BS

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is where my thinking differs from others.If your lucky enough or good enough should I say to make a tight playoff conference bracket I would much rather play in that then any summer or off season tournament.The travel tournaments should not start or have a major recruiting event until HS is over.That’s what June,July and part of August are for.Most of the better or recruitable players are leading their respective HS teams in the playoffs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any recommendations for womens stick stringing in Nassau, prefer near North Shore. Took to well known place in Suffolk 3x and it's still not right, throws like garbage, even coach couldn't fix it. With all the different mesh, shooters etc out there overwhelmed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Any recommendations for womens stick stringing in Nassau, prefer near North Shore. Took to well known place in Suffolk 3x and it's still not right, throws like garbage, even coach couldn't fix it. With all the different mesh, shooters etc out there overwhelmed.

I know some people use string it up in huntington. I use stylin strings. It's in pennsylvania. you pick out what you want on line and send them the head. It usually takes about 10 days to get back. You can pay extra to have a 2 or 3 day turn around if need be. I know its not ideal but ive been using them for years and it's always spot on. I think they do a lot of college teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s not in Nassau but Miller place lax unlimited never did me wrong.As is with anything the prices have gone up but if you want a great setup go with the crux pro with gait whip mesh.Really good pocket for attack or offensive middie.no break in time.there fast as well with the turnaround

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

out of curiosity which place didn't you like?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Matt at Lacrosse Unlimited in Manhasset is great

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes. The biggest advantage they provide is that they can tell you who is interested before Sept 1 so you can target your search better and attend the right prospect days

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes! We knew all summer long who was interested because our coaches Were in constant contact with college coaches. That’s a huge help and time saver.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club coaches claim they will do a lot for you but when sept 1 comes and the days that follow you will realize you are basically on your own. Ask a random 23 whether they are going to ND or Adelphi how much their clubs helped in the process.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club coaches claim they will do a lot for you but when sept 1 comes and the days that follow you will realize you are basically on your own. Ask a random 23 whether they are going to ND or Adelphi how much their clubs helped in the process.

Club coaches and teams make you a better laxer
HS coaches and hopefully team make you a better laxer and better team first player
IMO they a thumb on the scale to sway a coach who already has you on their short list for their program. All the connections in the world won’t push an Adelphi middie into a ND one. The laxer does that. It’s almost all in your hands they just hopefully a deciding factor.
I guess if you cut your coaches grass every week they’ll give you line 2 strong side elbow over line 2 weak side elbow so work on that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What was the score of the BBP v American Heritage game in MD last night?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Since HS season overlaps with college -HS means very little for recruiting. Club coach can be a help but not all are. Top clubs are only worried about top recruits for their instagram posts. I coach club and get calls about players a lot. They already have interest but want to know more about character, family, work ethic etc. Yes you are right about Sept. 1 -being on your own. No college out of the blue is going to contact you because they saw you play for 5 minutes. They will have to see you over and over and at prospect camps.

Like Reply Quote
Page 188 of 215 1 2 186 187 188 189 190 214 215
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard