BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,817
Posts388,184
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 106 of 327 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 326 327
Re: Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting way to look at the rankings of D1, D2, D3 schools overall success in all 18 sports. Its from Learfield Sports and USA Today. Consistency across mutiple sports is tough D1 winners were Stanford, Florida and Ucla but all 291 D1 schools were ranked. http://thedirectorscup.com/

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My daughter plays on the 2014 4th team and was approached by 3 College Coaches this weekend. All three saw her play fall ball, contacted, stayed in touch through the year and came to Lax Cure to see her again. All three offered her a spot on their teams. My daughter is NOT a top D1 prospect, no interest to go to a large university... But she WILL be playing lax in college at a college of her choosing, and attaining an excellent education. Isn't this what it is all about? We think so....

Yeah but the question is this...did they offer her money to play?? after all the money you invested in your child over the years to play is she getting $$. The sad reality is we invest so much time and money and you dont even get a small percentage of that money offered to your child to supplement their education. In my opinion if your daughter had spent just as many hours hitting the books as she did on the lacrosse field she could have gone to the college she wanted to instead of spending all this money to play on a 4th team and get picked up by some sub par university. I find it hard to believe that colleges were offering spots on teams to a 2014 4th team player on the fields at a tournament. I know for certain there are 2015 Blue players and second team players who werent even approached by coaches that were there watching them. As well as 2014 2nd team blue and 2014 Gold team. So if your 4th team player was offered a spot on a team I would run with it and consider yourself lucky...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry M.
As a yellowjacket parent the CT tourney is a total waste of time - on fathers day no less. Can you at least make it on a beach or in Atlantic City so the whole family can have fun? Just a thought! maybe then they can attract more teams. driving so far to play the same club is ridiculous - all the other parents feel the sam but i guess everyone to scared to say no to the great CR

I can tell you I'm not afraid to confront her. She is a disgusting piece of work that should not be mentoring kids, no less a teacher, but I guess tenure allows her be that way.

Quite the role model aren't you, Carol Rose?

Give it up you are so jealous of what Coach Rose has accomplished and you have not. These girls ( yes on the top teams) are being recruited like crazy. I am so glad that my daughter decided to concentrate on lax instead of soccer. Move on boys your ranting will not take down Rose or her club. Maybe you guys should come to a tournament and see the college coaches falling over each other to see the YJ play and to talk to Rose.

Only TOP team. So why mislead and have 5? Money money money.
The talent pool is so deep with the younger teams, in a few years the college coaches will be looking at the top 3 teams. Wait until the TG club folds and all of those kids need a place to play. CR will have to add a few more teams to each age group to support them. Then you’re talking more Money money money. Give credit where credit is due, she is a smart business woman.

Fold? What are you talking about? The club brings in a million dollars a year. Chump change compared to yj which is more than double in size, I'm sure they will be dipping in to the young age groups just like yj soon enough. All these clubs, boys and girls are just a money making scheme. The return on money spent by all players and money won back on scholarships is 10 to one. Both TG and YJ are highly profitable machines, I don't think you should worry about either of them folding anytime soon.

For once I couldnt agree more. If you think your child is going to earn 1/10 of what you lay out for travel lacrosse through scholarship to play in college your insane. There will be a select few and I do mean a select few who athletically will receive a substantial amount but that is few and far between. Trust me your child will get more money from hitting the books then hitting the fields

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My daughter plays on the 2014 4th team and was approached by 3 College Coaches this weekend. All three saw her play fall ball, contacted, stayed in touch through the year and came to Lax Cure to see her again. All three offered her a spot on their teams. My daughter is NOT a top D1 prospect, no interest to go to a large university... But she WILL be playing lax in college at a college of her choosing, and attaining an excellent education. Isn't this what it is all about? We think so....

Yeah but the question is this...did they offer her money to play?? after all the money you invested in your child over the years to play is she getting $$. The sad reality is we invest so much time and money and you dont even get a small percentage of that money offered to your child to supplement their education. In my opinion if your daughter had spent just as many hours hitting the books as she did on the lacrosse field she could have gone to the college she wanted to instead of spending all this money to play on a 4th team and get picked up by some sub par university. I find it hard to believe that colleges were offering spots on teams to a 2014 4th team player on the fields at a tournament. I know for certain there are 2015 Blue players and second team players who werent even approached by coaches that were there watching them. As well as 2014 2nd team blue and 2014 Gold team. So if your 4th team player was offered a spot on a team I would run with it and consider yourself lucky...

Coaches can't talk to recruits at a tournament off campus until 9/1/ of their junior year...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
it's terrible to see that some of us think of our children as "investments" that have to garner a return. I PAY for my children to do what they do because they enjoy it. Who says a kid has to go to a non "sub par" school to be Happy and maybe they did spend as much time in the books as they did on the field. Your return on your "investment" should be their happiness.Good luck to that "4th teamer" may she find happiness from your love and "investment

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The question is not did she get money to play in college. The question is did lacrosse, as an extracurricular activity, help her get into a school that she might not otherwise not gotten into? Scholarship packages are not always just athletic money. They can be a combination of athletic, academic , and financial need. This depends on the school and the division since, Ivy league and D3 schools don't use athletic scholarships and sometimes not even academic money. So if your daughter wanted to go to Yale or Cornell, and they had good grades, but not spectacular, there is a distinct possibility that if they were a good lacrosse player they could gain admission that they wouldn't otherwise qualify for.
The reality is there are plenty of students that don't play lacrosse and really hit the books that do not get into schools that they want to.
If your town does not offer a way to improve then travel clubs are the only way to go and so you have to invest time and money. Hopefully, your child is playing because they love the sport. Although some will say, you get just as much playing wall ball and scooping at home, that is only a part of it. There is something to practicing with a team and learning team play. Again, if your town doesn't provide that service then you have to go to travel.

One last bit of advice, no matter what town, travel, or school team you are on, if there is a particular school that you are interested in you need to contact the coach and find out where they will be so they can see you play, If you don't match up at a tournament then go to a camp they will be at. Most college coaches seem to run their own camp. I think the sad reality is that there are parents who believe that their athletes will be seen and picked out of a crowd at a tournament. Not saying it can't happen, but there is a lot to be said for making things happen

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Coaches can't talk to recruits at a tournament off campus until 9/1/ of their junior year...

They can if they are D3.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Coaches cant talk to recruits off campus until July 1st of their junior year..they can start emailing recruits after sept 1 of their junior year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with most of what you say...there is only so much athletic money out there. I believe it is 12 scholarships in women's DI lacrosse (none in the Ivy's) and that is if they are fully funded. There are athletic scholarships in DII and none is DIII. The last thing a coach wants to give you is athletic money....and that to me is why you should make sure your child really pays attention to their grades.

These college coaches love no one more than a kid with an average in the 90's and a high SAT/ACT score. If this is the case the coach can really work hard to get you a high level of academic money. As an example many schools have numerous merit scholarships that they offer. As an example the President's Merit scholarship might be in a range of $10K to $16K a year. If the coach has great connections they will make sure you get the higher level scholarship ($16K). That can never be taken away from you unless you get below a certain GPA. Trust me there is also other merit scholarships that they may be granted...for example if they enroll in the business school they might get an additional $2500 a year...oh yeah and add maybe another $8K of athletic money to a school that costs $40K a year and your yearly cost could be close to $10K a year for a good academic institution....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then how do freshman and sophmores give verbal committments? I already know my top 3 schools and I am going to be a sophmore, what should I do?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Actually D2 and D3 coaches have no restrictions on contact at any age. They can talk to whoever they want whenever they want. D1 coaches have the restriction mentioned by the previous poster.
As for the poster stating the travel money spent is a waste I strongly disagree. As a parent I insisted my daughter study and perform in the classroom as well as the lacrosse field. High 90s and a large financial package to the school of her choice has been the reward. These girls work hard and deserve all the accolades and educational assistance they get. Way to go!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I stand corrected...Coach was approached, not my daughter directly. Received emails Monday to follow up. Like I said, they had been in contact over the past few months. This wasn't random.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you! As she does have a 95 avg... Her enjoyment and exposure over the years, has definitely added to her Academics. As I said originally, she had no intention of going to a large D-1 school. That road is not for everyone. In the end, it all comes together, if you do what is right for your OWN child.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The last few "posters" have explained it exactly the way it is. You need to advocate for your own child if they are not a top D1 recruit. Find the schools THEY are interested in, work the books. YOU reach out to Coaches, let them know where your child will be playing..it really does work! The seven years of YJ experience has been invaluable in many ways. Thank you CR!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are-
92 D1 schools
67 D2 schools
216 D3 schools

That's 375 teams with 30 kids per team thats 11,000 kids playing in college.

Add the D1 and D2 together and you get about 5,000 girls, say half to 3/4 get some cash thats 2,500 - 3,000 kids with althletic scholorship. This shows that just 2% of HS Varisty players get money.

So like the earlier poster said, do well in school and pick a school that you would like to get your degree from as if you will never play another day of lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
There are-
92 D1 schools
67 D2 schools
216 D3 schools

Add the D1 and D2 together and you get about 5,000 girls, say half to 3/4 get some cash thats 2,500 - 3,000 kids with althletic scholorship. This shows that just 2% of HS Varisty players get money.

So like the earlier poster said, do well in school and pick a school that you would like to get your degree from as if you will never play another day of lacrosse.
BOTC did a major series of articles regarding these numbers on our College Forum. Check out this article for additional details and analysis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Then how do freshman and sophmores give verbal committments? I already know my top 3 schools and I am going to be a sophmore, what should I do?

kinda of tricky ( and a little bit of a gray area) but you can visit any school you want, the coach can talk to you while you are on campus(check out "unofficial visits") you can call the coach any time you want. he/she may not call you back if you leave a voicemail. Specific times to call can be arranged through HS or club so the coach knows it you and will answer and then you can talk all you want. you can email the coach but they cannot respond, Best advise is to email the coach your interest in going there, be specific, know about the school what you may like to study, etc. Then try to visit, or attend a camp, always let these coaches know what you're up to what tournaments you are playing. Grades/scores will always be #1
Good luck

TG dad

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
There are-
92 D1 schools
67 D2 schools
216 D3 schools

BOTC did a major series of articles regarding these numbers on our College Forum. Check out this article for additional details and analysis.

And the top D3 schools where kids get no money would SMOKE a lot of D1 programs so don't discount the playing ability of the 3's

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
There are-
92 D1 schools
67 D2 schools
216 D3 schools

And the top D3 schools where kids get no money would SMOKE a lot of D1 programs so don't discount the playing ability of the 3's

The topic seems to be a return of investment, it really is silly and few and far in between that will gain from this. Yet travel parents seem so sure their daughters will get full rides to where ever they choose cause they played on blah blah team. It is the story and promise handed down to them when their daughters started playing and its the same line of BS that gets fed to the newbies then parents sell it to other parent. It is an idea these clubs sell to everyone, but it is far from reality. Hopefully your daughter plays because she enjoys it and you can afford it

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
The topic seems to be a return of investment, it really is silly and few and far in between that will gain from this.
In lacrosse, a year-round player can expect approximately $2000.00 in family spend in the early years and more towards the later years exclusive of travel costs, hotels, meals, and other training costs. An expenditure averaging $4,000.00 to $5,000.00 per year would not be unusual when everything is added together. So, if you do this for six years (13-18), that is about $30,000.00 cash.

For a $40,000.00 per year college institution, a 0.25 scholarship would be worth $10,000.00 per year. Hence, the investment could have some minimal level of return in the college years although chances are very likely that your family will still be paying for most of the college load and not feel a positive return. Looking at youth lacrosse as a financially viable investment in your daughter's future is not a grounded reason to be part of the game.

Yet travel parents seem so sure their daughters will get full rides to where ever they choose cause they played on blah blah team.
While BOTC has gone over the number multiple times, please dismiss the notion of a full-ride. On pure numbers, 12.0 equivilent scholarships divided among 25+ players should tell you that full rides are virtually non-existant with some basic arithmetic.

Many parents will include academic money or better yet, financial aid, in their statement of receiving a full ride. Our experience however shows that most families participating in the $5,000.00 per year lacrosse chase have available assets which often exclude (or severely curtail) financial aid awards.

A metric often used for the cut-off for financial aid at the Top 50 national schools is as follows : If you have $150,000 in total annual income, $100,000 in cash or financial assets, and own your own home, you can expect that your FAFSA and college contribution will place you outside the financial aid world.

It is the story and promise handed down to them when their daughters started playing and its the same line of BS that gets fed to the newbies then parents sell it to other parent. It is an idea these clubs sell to everyone, but it is far from reality. Hopefully your daughter plays because she enjoys it and you can afford it
This used to be a common fantasy in the soccer world also. As we have often said, lacrosse is about five to ten years behind soccer in terms of the youth sports evolution (premier leagues, tournament regulation, player passes and such). We tend to find that soccer parents are better educated on the realities of receiving athletic scholarship money.

The one advantage that lacrosse families enjoy is a lack of overseas competition for roster spots and that their east coast location remains a recruiting hot spot. This will certainly morph in the next decade as US Lacrosse continues to expand the game's reach. Therefore, today's entering players at the 2023 level will face a very much tougher recruiting world that being experienced by today's high school varsity participants.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well answered and a little cold water thrown on the "full ride" believers. 95% percent of people will lose money on the investment made to travel programs/camps/training vs what they get in athletic money in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well answered and a little cold water thrown on the "full ride" believers. 95% percent of people will lose money on the investment made to travel programs/camps/training vs what they get in athletic money in college.

Any athletic money is only going to get tighter as financial aide and loans begin to dry up.

My advice is to use your child's athletic ability as leverage to get into the best school that fits that student. I often hear the statement "she is going to school that offers the best deal". Chances are that is the worst for your student.

Most of these students will be done with lacrosse after four years. Don't chase the money; choose the best school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow is everyone raising children or running a corporation? What happened to just teaching our kids important life lessons through athletics, keeping them busy and having fun?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow is everyone raising children or running a corporation? What happened to just teaching our kids important life lessons through athletics, keeping them busy and having fun?
Then keep them in PAL or drop them off at a park to play pick up. $30k plus for the experience sounds like a little more than fun. If you love it and they like it ENJOY!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every other post on here is how every game and every team has standing room only for college coaches lined up waiting to offer every kid on the roster a scholarship. A serious reality check is needed in travel lacrosse. I guess when people constantly hear it from the club and other parents, they start to believe it to be true. I can tell you that many of the very best players to come off the island did not get full rides, especially to their dream schools, and that was before the big surge of players now chocking the landscape.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Top 100 D1 programs ranked this year

1 Maryland
2 North Carolina
3 Northwestern
4 Syracuse
5 Florida
6 Navy
7 Georgetown
8 Duke
9 Penn St.
10 Virginia
11 Massachusetts
12 Stony Brook
13 Denver
14 Boston College
15 Stanford
16 Notre Dame
17 Penn
18 Loyola Maryland
19 Connecticut
20 James Madison
21 Towson
22 Dartmouth
23 Princeton
24 Cornell
25 Delaware
26 Ohio St.
27 Johns Hopkins
28 Duquesne
29 Rutgers
30 Louisville
31 Albany (NY)
32 Drexel
33 Richmond
34 Virginia Tech
35 Hofstra
36 High Point
37 George Washington
38 Monmouth
39 Temple
40 Canisius
41 Holy Cross
42 UMBC
43 Jacksonville
44 Boston U.
45 Lafayette
46 California
47 La Salle
48 Brown
49 Oregon
50 Davidson
51 Yale
52 New Hampshire
53 Fairfield
54 Vermont
55 Southern California
56 Villanova
57 Vanderbilt
58 Longwood
59 William & Mary
60 Saint Joseph's
61 American
62 Bryant
63 UC Davis
64 Cincinnati
65 Central Conn. St.
66 Colgate
67 Marist
68 George Mason
69 San Diego St.
70 Old Dominion
71 Quinnipiac
72 Winthrop
73 Harvard
74 Lehigh
75 Robert Morris
76 Sacred Heart
77 Liberty
78 Iona
79 Bucknell
80 Mt. St. Mary's
81 St. Bonaventure
82 St. Mary's (CA)
83 Marquette
84 Binghamton
85 Columbia
86 Siena
87 Fresno St.
88 Niagara
89 Campbell
90 Wagner
91 Coastal Caro.
92 Presbyterian
93 Saint Francis (PA)
94 Detroit
95 Manhattan
96 LIU Brooklyn
97 Stetson
98 Kennesaw St.
99 Howard
100 Delaware St.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems very transparent to me that some of you just cannot stand the parent who thinks their kid is so good they are going to get athletic money, or the club owner who makes money off of those feelings but it really is none of your business and is rooted in jealousy. Do you care if these same people buy a new car when you know it will depreciate the moment they drive it off the lot, of course not ,you just cannot stand that these people think their kids are deserving of a scholarship. Let them do what they want with their money it will work out for some and not others but in the end most usually come away with some great memories anyway.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This kid is a senior

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the girls who pay both liberty and YJ who will you play for his weekend?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To the girls who pay both liberty and YJ who will you play for his weekend?

ELEVATE

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing for ....

YJ is like driving for a Formula1 racing team

Liberty is like driving at Riverhead Raceway

Elevate is like racing a GoKart at ActionPark

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing for ....

Did you spend a lot of time on this? What an a#%!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing for ....

Being a parent for....

an Elevate player your likely happy, well adjusted and well liked in the lacrosse community.

a Liberty player your likely competitive, good spirited and again well liked in the lacrosse community.

a YJ player your likely angry, ill willed, arogant, and a screaming idiot on the sidelines , and disliked for your behavior on and off the fields by the rest of the lacrosse community (look to your post above for evidence of this).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I understood yj are the best but elevate has come long way it only 3 yrs old.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great post! I guess the original poster never was taught if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all? The arrogance is horrendous. If that were my parent always boasting I would be embarrassed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing for ....

Being a parent for....

an Elevate player your likely happy, well adjusted and well liked in the lacrosse community.

a Liberty player your likely competitive, good spirited and again well liked in the lacrosse community.

a YJ player your likely angry, ill willed, arogant, and a screaming idiot on the sidelines , and disliked for your behavior on and off the fields by the rest of the lacrosse community (look to your post above for evidence of this).

Don't always assume all derogatory post's are from a yellow jacket parent ,if you are on this site you know there are a lot of spit stirrers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing for ....

Shut the front door and do your talking on the field.
A YJ Parent

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Playing for ....

Being a parent for....

You call it arrogance.

I call it stating the facts!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Stating the facts " I really hope your not an adult

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
People who post comments putting others down are most likely trying to reinvent their failures through their children and then you have wonder about their child's abilities because if their child can play his or her performance speaks for its' self. The parent does not have to say anything

Like Reply Quote
Page 106 of 327 1 2 104 105 106 107 108 326 327
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard