I agree with most of what you say...there is only so much athletic money out there. I believe it is 12 scholarships in women's DI lacrosse (none in the Ivy's) and that is if they are fully funded. There are athletic scholarships in DII and none is DIII. The last thing a coach wants to give you is athletic money....and that to me is why you should make sure your child really pays attention to their grades.

These college coaches love no one more than a kid with an average in the 90's and a high SAT/ACT score. If this is the case the coach can really work hard to get you a high level of academic money. As an example many schools have numerous merit scholarships that they offer. As an example the President's Merit scholarship might be in a range of $10K to $16K a year. If the coach has great connections they will make sure you get the higher level scholarship ($16K). That can never be taken away from you unless you get below a certain GPA. Trust me there is also other merit scholarships that they may be granted...for example if they enroll in the business school they might get an additional $2500 a year...oh yeah and add maybe another $8K of athletic money to a school that costs $40K a year and your yearly cost could be close to $10K a year for a good academic institution....