BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,679
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 56 of 69 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 68 69
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2012/Spring 2013
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Whoever picked the Long Island teams placed the Turtles on 1 team and the Terps on the other...interesting, they get to practice together while all the other teams met for the first time 6/30...whatever it takes

From my understanding it was a tryout, they chose the North team from the first tryout and the South from the second.

Lets be honest here, the North team was picked before the kids even stepped on the field.....Great bunch of players, there is no doubt about that, but lets not pretend that it wasn't a farce.......

I agree!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets be honest here, the North team was picked before the kids even stepped on the field.....Great bunch of players, there is no doubt about that, but lets not pretend that it wasn't a farce.......

This has to be true!! No way for all of the Turtles to not only make the team but to also all be on the North. The Turtles are an amazing team but there are a few of them that made the team that did not deserve it as individuals.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wrong. Last year it was evaluated by a club coach , Ballers , who loaded up the 2015 team with players , including his son, from his team that he coaches. He is also from Pequa and placed a bunch of Pequa kids on it as well.

So get your facts straight.

Sorry dude.....your wrong...as this is the 2017 thread the facts presented regarding the selection the last 2 years was correct regarding 2017/2016 players. As you stated YOURSELF you decided to rail against the selection of the 2015 HS team. The High School Teams were coached by High School coaches and observed by college recruiters. The Middle School boys were coached by college coaches. The teams over the last couple years co-mingled players from all the LI Teams. This year that is not the case.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
What difference does the birthdate make? Isn't Rob Pannell like 25 yrs old?
Pennell was born December 1989 which makes him 23 years old.

His case is exaggerated to some extent as he exercised an NCAA clause that allowed a fifth year of undergraduate eligibility. He did not graduate with his class at Cornell in Spring 2013 by virtue of taking an "incomplete" in one of his senior year classes. (Remember that he broke his foot? Well, it turns out that Cornell and the Ivy League does not issue medical red shirts, so this was their way around that problem.)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This has to be true!! No way for all of the Turtles to not only make the team but to also all be on the North. The Turtles are an amazing team but there are a few of them that made the team that did not deserve it as individuals.

Completely agree.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not a hater at all. It's fun to watch them play. Great team players. I just gave an opinion. If I'm wrong abouth the age thing, please let me know since you seem to be on the inside track. Besdies, it's not too hard to look at several of the the boys physical maturity and place an age on them.

All of the Top A 2017 teams have a large amount of boys that have december 98 birthdates, were left back, or started school late. That's why these programs don't want to change to a birthdate cut off for teams.

And you think it gets any better at the higher level? Check out some of the top D I college teams where they have the birth dates on the player profile. Perfect example is UNC. Most are all a year or even two older for their grade compared to ny cutoff date. Also, add a pg, redshirt or grade repeater and you have really, really good lacrosse players that blow away 17 year old freshmen. Like it or not, it is what it is. There is no such thing as an even playing field, literally, when it comes to age uniformity.
Or life in general...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whoever picked the Long Island teams placed the Turtles on 1 team and the Terps on the other...interesting, they get to practice together while all the other teams met for the first time 6/30...whatever it takes

From my understanding it was a tryout, they chose the North team from the first tryout and the South from the second.

Sorry to burst your bubble but, it's just not true. Not all of north are Turtles & they were t all chosen @ the first tryout or before hand. You sound very petty

I dont care one way or another, just stating facts. What is the percentage of the North team that are Turtles? I know for a fact there were two kids at the tryout that were sent to the other field that ended making the team that just "happeneed" to be Turtles. Noone is saying that the North team is not made up of great players, the issue is that the tryout was inherently unfair and the team was predetermined. I dont think that sounds petty at all, congratulations to your son for making it, but dont sit here and tell me that tryout was fair, because it wasnt even close. A tryout is supposed to be about who impressed the evaluators "that day", not a preconceived notion of who should be on the team based on who they play for.

Enjoy Maryland, Its a great experience.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry to burst your bubble but, it's just not true. Not all of north are Turtles & they were t all chosen @ the first tryout or before hand. You sound very petty

I dont care one way or another, just stating facts. What is the percentage of the North team that are Turtles? I know for a fact there were two kids at the tryout that were sent to the other field that ended making the team that just "happeneed" to be Turtles. Noone is saying that the North team is not made up of great players, the issue is that the tryout was inherently unfair and the team was predetermined. I dont think that sounds petty at all, congratulations to your son for making it, but dont sit here and tell me that tryout was fair, because it wasnt even close. A tryout is supposed to be about who impressed the evaluators "that day", not a preconceived notion of who should be on the team based on who they play for.

Well said, and you are EXACTLY correct in everything you said in the post!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree....and we will see if they are placed together when the teams start playing.....my bet....yes they will !!

Completely agree.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

& Im just saying my son went, tried out, impressed the evaluators on "that day", does not play for the Turtles & made the team. So I can tell you, for us, it was fair. Maybe, just maybe, those "whatever percent" Turtle players & anyone else that made the team were just the best players. & thanks we will enjoy the experience.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I do think there is some truth in what you are saying. Much like with Under Armour and Jake Reed, I have to imagine that there is a watch list or some top recommendations from club coaches. The unfortunate thing is that some talented boys will always be overlooked. It is going to happen at college showcases and recruiting camps in the next few years, especially given the depth of 2017. Hoepfully it all balances out in the end.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

His case is exaggerated to some extent as he exercised an NCAA clause that allowed a fifth year of undergraduate eligibility. He did not graduate with his class at Cornell in Spring 2013 by virtue of taking an "incomplete" in one of his senior year classes. (Remember that he broke his foot? Well, it turns out that Cornell and the Ivy League does not issue medical red shirts, so this was their way around that problem.)

didn't he also pg? so i would say he had a distinct advantage as a 23 soon to be 24 yr old playing against 17 to 21 yr olds! makes me rethink this whole age vs grade debate....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

didn't he also pg? so i would say he had a distinct advantage as a 23 soon to be 24 yr old playing against 17 to 21 yr olds! makes me rethink this whole age vs grade debate....

Thank you. You couldn't be more right. This why MD, kids look so much bigger and stronger. A year or two makes huge difference between 13 and 20. The coaches are looking for the older kids.... It's another reason why many schools are telling kids to PG a year. If the talent level is the same, physical maturity is the thing that will make the difference. Everyone knows it. That's why kids are held back, repeat grade etc. it's done because its a huge advantage. If you take a rising junior whos an above average player and drop him down and play him with rising sophomores he becomes a top player... Everything needs to be aged based for tournaments and recruiting. If you disagree you're gaming the system, plain and simple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding the Brine event...the truth of the matter is unlike any other Brine tryout, the boys on Long Island we placed on specific teams. This raises 2 questions, was this a fair tryout and is it fair to send a team that practices together year-round to play oter teams that are meeting for the first time on Day 1 of the event? Tryouts seem rigged and I'll bet this forum lights up on July 3rd after Long Island (Turtles) win the Brine event...Great team, no doubt but this event is for Long Island, not specific clubs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In MD no teams are filled exclusively with Red-Shirted players

A 20 boy roster will have at most 1-2 boys who are a year older than their classmates. About 25% will be born in the fall of 1998 which is age appropriate for US Lacrosse.

2017 HS Grad year interpreted from US Lacrosse is boys born
Sept 1 1998 to Aug 31, 1999 (which is currently U-14).

Since there are boys older than this who are still in 8th grade, US Lacrosse sets the age guideline as U-15 so that these boys do not need to sit out.

Recruiters care what year you are going to come play at their school and not how old you will be when you get there. Grade based is the most appropriate way to set up teams and torunaments for that simple reason.

Thank you. You couldn't be more right. This why MD, kids look so much bigger and stronger. A year or two makes huge difference between 13 and 20. The coaches are looking for the older kids.... It's another reason why many schools are telling kids to PG a year. If the talent level is the same, physical maturity is the thing that will make the difference. Everyone knows it. That's why kids are held back, repeat grade etc. it's done because its a huge advantage. If you take a rising junior whos an above average player and drop him down and play him with rising sophomores he becomes a top player... Everything needs to be aged based for tournaments and recruiting. If you disagree you're gaming the system, plain and simple.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This by head to head meeting were possable. Terps won last so that is were this comes from. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand? I didnt do the rankings but read what you wrote and you answer your own questions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not true. fl$ has good players. Not great players. Like everone else they are not as deep. They can not play with the top teams. What top team have you beaten? This equal playing time is as funny as the terps black players not playing with the Terps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets be clear the Brine event has an A and B team from LI. They picked the 20 best kids from the first tryout, they held a second tryout adding 5 kids to the North team and created a 25 player South team. They did not choose the top 50 then break them up. They also invited and had additional players at the second tryout that didn't make the first tryout. The Turtles are by far the strongest team in the grade and you would expect their boys would fill the majority of the North team. Are you implying Li should have made 2 even teams to send down??? C'mon i thought we got past that with middle school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am aware of all the rules. The problem is when these U-XX teams drop down into the lowest grade possible bracket, ie U-15 into 2017. They go by the youngest kids on the team, happens all the time. In addition, you have many hold backs and grade repeaters. No one is policing it. Just a reality.
With regard to age and recruiters, you're kidding yourself. If two kids are the same all around, they're taking the older kid. Have personal knowledge of a very high profile recruit who went to a certain ACC school and almost all the other freshman were 19 or older day one.

In MD no teams are filled exclusively with Red-Shirted players

A 20 boy roster will have at most 1-2 boys who are a year older than their classmates. About 25% will be born in the fall of 1998 which is age appropriate for US Lacrosse.

2017 HS Grad year interpreted from US Lacrosse is boys born
Sept 1 1998 to Aug 31, 1999 (which is currently U-14).

Since there are boys older than this who are still in 8th grade, US Lacrosse sets the age guideline as U-15 so that these boys do not need to sit out.

Recruiters care what year you are going to come play at their school and not how old you will be when you get there. Grade based is the most appropriate way to set up teams and torunaments for that simple reason.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So you are saying the the Turtles are the A team and a few of the Terps made the B team...things are much clearer now...sorry Terps

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lets be clear the Brine event has an A and B team from LI. They picked the 20 best kids from the first tryout, they held a second tryout adding 5 kids to the North team and created a 25 player South team. They did not choose the top 50 then break them up. They also invited and had additional players at the second tryout that didn't make the first tryout. The Turtles are by far the strongest team in the grade and you would expect their boys would fill the majority of the North team. Are you implying Li should have made 2 even teams to send down??? C'mon i thought we got past that with middle school.

Lord, put this nonsense to rest already. Turtles are the best 2017 team, no argument. However, the Turtle individual players are not ALL the best individual players on LI. Nor are the Terps Black. The next 2-3 years will show this.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not true. fl$ has good players. Not great players. Like everone else they are not as deep. They can not play with the top teams. What top team have you beaten? This equal playing time is as funny as the terps black players not playing with the Terps.

fl$ cannot have GREAT players. THERE IS TOO MUCH FAVORITISM IN CHOOSING PLAYERS AFTER TRY-OUTs ! How can you say you had a FAIR try-out when you have FIVE kids from the same elementary school on the same team ? ? ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Totally agree

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who are you people from another planet?????fl$ has some great players. My son plays on another team and is very good friends with some well known players on the fl$ team. All of these club teams have some great players. Everyone knows who they are. Your clueless if you don't know that. They can play with anybody. Give credit where credit is do. They cannot dictate an organizations philosophy. It works for them. Maybe it's better than the circus called Express. But don't say that fl$ or any team doesn't have some or a few truely great players because you just sound stupid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Other teams do have very good players. My son plays for one of the lesser known teams on Long Island and there are 8 kids that i'm sure the big teams would love to have. Our coach knows he doesn't have the depth to challenge these teams - but when our main group are in - we are competitive. The coach supports the effort & talent these 8 bring - he's encouraged their own personal growth tremendously. When you're 13 & 14 sometimes its not the wins & loses - but the playing time and support that makes you a player. Here's to the overlooked stars of 2017 - keep working !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
most of those kids dont even belong on the team. They let better kids go to keep the old team togther.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Very transparent responce. The old my sons freinds story. Give it a break. Who have you beaten to claim how good you are.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree. But your not on here claiming to be a top team. fl$ is a good team but not a top team in the age group. Maybe next year they will pick players who belong and who dont know the coach

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who are you people from another planet?????fl$ has some great players. My son plays on another team and is very good friends with some well known players on the fl$ team. All of these club teams have some great players. Everyone knows who they are. Your clueless if you don't know that. They can play with anybody. Give credit where credit is do. They cannot dictate an organizations philosophy. It works for them. Maybe it's better than the circus called Express. But don't say that fl$ or any team doesn't have some or a few truely great players because you just sound stupid.

You're the one that sounds stupid.It's all right there on the fl$(For the Love of the $) website.Address the statement above? ? ? You can't.Parents paid over one hundred dollars last fall and expected a FAIR try-out. They got MUCH LESS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The tryout and your perception of its fairness has nothing to do with the best players on that or any teamteam. They would make any team they tryout for. Just give the best players credit and move on. We are not talking about good players or borderline players were are talking about some of the best players in that age group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're the one that sounds stupid.It's all right there on the fl$(For the Love of the $) website.Address the statement above? ? ? You can't.Parents paid over one hundred dollars last fall and expected a FAIR try-out. They got MUCH LESS.

Don't insult our intelligence!
5 kids from same elementary school, on same team, CAN NOT EQUAL A FAIR TRY-OUT !
Quite the coincidence one might say
I'd say, HIGHLY UNLIKELY.HMMM or maybe just highly trained since DAY 1
How on earth could they let us see that on their website??????????????

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If fl$ could play half as good as the parents claim to be a top team. The team would be AAAA. lol fl$ is an good team who has not beaten any one and has not played the top teams in the age group. Heres a thought, Stop talking unitl you beat someone. You are the ones that sound stupid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2017 fl$ team doesn’t follow any fl$ philosophy. The coach is just as arrogant as the parents he brought in. Reading though this blog is comical. You’re on here calling people stupid and you can’t see how clear this is. You think you are a top team in the age group and you lost to all the middle of the pack teams. Just in enjoy the experience while you have the chance.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
most of those kids dont even belong on the team. They let better kids go to keep the old team togther.

Very transparent responce. The old my sons freinds story. Give it a break. Who have you beaten to claim how good you are.

I agree. But your not on here claiming to be a top team. fl$ is a good team but not a top team in the age group. Maybe next year they will pick players who belong and who dont know the coach

If fl$ could play half as good as the parents claim to be a top team. The team would be AAAA. lol fl$ is an good team who has not beaten any one and has not played the top teams in the age group. Heres a thought, Stop talking unitl you beat someone. You are the ones that sound stupid.

Please reconsider throwing words like "stupid" in your posts. BOTC thought you might like to review your last four posts. Please back away from the keyboard as this constitutes assault and battery on the English language.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Attention to any of you traveling down to the Brine National Classic on Monday. Be VERY careful driving anywhere near the complex where the event takes place. Make sure you do the speed limit. There are SPEED VIDEO Cameras everywhere. Last year several people came home to tickets in the mail for speeding. Dont go over the speed limit or youll have a suprise when you get home. FYI

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just checked. There are five kids from one middle school, five from another middle school and 4 from another middle school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please reconsider throwing words like "stupid" in your posts. BOTC thought you might like to review your last four posts. Please back away from the keyboard as this constitutes assault and battery on the English language.

Definitely not the A team for grammar and simple command of the English language. LOL!

With all of the bickering about who's the better team/players, it's just as important to throw education into the mix. Assuming all of this banter is the competitive adrenaline of parents anticipating certain high school and college opportunities for their kids, a lack of focus on education can derail that dream real fast.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are missing the point. This has nothing to with tryouts. My son was not there we play for another team. We cannot comment on a tryout. Someone made the statement that fl$ does not have any great players. That statement is completely false. My sons team has played them and they a couple of great players that my son knows well and would make our team or any other team better. Most teams have at least 3 or 4 great players that could make any team. Give them credit. Every kid that plays lacrosse on Long Island and beyond knows who they are. Great teams have 9 or more great players. Those teams that have more depth and talent win more games. But don't short change the few great players on many of these teams

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are missing the point. This has nothing to with tryouts. My son was not there we play for another team. We cannot comment on a tryout. Someone made the statement that fl$ does not have any great players. That statement is completely false. My sons team has played them and they a couple of great players that my son knows well and would make our team or any other team better. Most teams have at least 3 or 4 great players that could make any team. Give them credit. Every kid that plays lacrosse on Long Island and beyond knows who they are. Great teams have 9 or more great players. Those teams that have more depth and talent win more games. But don't short change the few great players on many of these teams

Agree 100 percent. My son plays for another 2017 team and he has played with several of the fl$ kids and they are as talented as anyone. So I guess its pick on fl$ week? Leave the team and the kids alone theyre fine.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree 100 percent. My son plays for another 2017 team and he has played with several of the fl$ kids and they are as talented as anyone. So I guess its pick on fl$ week? Leave the team and the kids alone theyre fine.

When there are 2 or 3 really good players on a weak roster those players look even BETTER, the old "big fish small pond" routine. So fl$ is a smart move at this 2017 age if your son is at a high level of ability, if you don't care about your kid being on the WINNING team all the time! Which as most of us realize, means nothing.

Like Reply Quote
Page 56 of 69 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 68 69
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard