BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,892
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 59 of 220 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 219 220
Re: Long Island Top Guns Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
We played for TG last year. We were not on the black team, which for many is an OK experience. Our experience on the B Team was excruciating. The facts:

1. If you are paying for travel, to me the number 1 thing you want is great coaching, so they can progress. Whether its the A team or the E team. Our team had some very capable players and TG blew an opportunity to develop them.
2. College kids may be great players but that does not make them great coaches. Our coach was cute and nice, but abysmal as a coach. My kid got zero encouragement and the coach did not even know how to use her on the field.
3. The "family" means the smith family, not yours.
4. There is no respect for league play. The girls who play for Top Guns all play league and games are on sundays. You are expected to make TG your priority and not only is missing practice (also, conincidentally, on Sundays) frowned upon but they punish the kids by ignoring them and not playing them. Travel season is the summer. Not the spring. How dare you put these kids and families in the position of having to choose you over an organization they have played with for years and will continue to play for until they graduate! It's disgustingly selfish and SCGL should send you a warning.
5. I am a customer, and I deserve decent service. If my kid isn't learning because you are not investing resources in her team when I am paying you good money to do so, I will go elsewhere.

And we did. We are now at YJ, and we love our coach, and the fact that the program actually supports putting our league first during league season - and even states that if your league is at a tournament you should play for THEM. My daughter made a great team and they value her and its obvious. It may not be the top top team, but I don't care. Our team does extra practices (not just the 10 they have to do). They work the girls hard, but are flexible with us, and we even have a team mom, who is wonderful. We are treated with respect not like cattle, or a number, or a cash cow.

We are not the only ones who feel this way.

Lack of respect
Lack of customer service.
Lack of coaching.

Bye bye TG. We don't miss you. Not even a little. And the thing is, as pissed off as I am - my poor kid had to endure that horrible year in a program that she should enjoy, that she should be proud of. Hall of shame, only place for you, TG.

Every club, coach, team, player, parent has a certain dynamic to fit in on each team. The good thing here is it is nice to have multiple choices of quality travel team oppurtunities. Change is sometimes the best option for some people and glad to see it may work out for you, kinda early to judge though, come back at end of season and report. Lacrosse seems to turn a lot of people bitter if the team situation is not ideal, and the bitter bug seems to have bitten you. So I agree with your choice of a change in search of greener pastures, good luck and try to find peace.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for your story.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We played for TG last year. We were not on the black team, which for many is an OK experience. Our experience on the B Team was excruciating. The facts:

1. If you are paying for travel, to me the number 1 thing you want is great coaching, so they can progress. Whether its the A team or the E team. Our team had some very capable players and TG blew an opportunity to develop them.
2. College kids may be great players but that does not make them great coaches. Our coach was cute and nice, but abysmal as a coach. My kid got zero encouragement and the coach did not even know how to use her on the field.
3. The "family" means the smith family, not yours.
4. There is no respect for league play. The girls who play for Top Guns all play league and games are on sundays. You are expected to make TG your priority and not only is missing practice (also, conincidentally, on Sundays) frowned upon but they punish the kids by ignoring them and not playing them. Travel season is the summer. Not the spring. How dare you put these kids and families in the position of having to choose you over an organization they have played with for years and will continue to play for until they graduate! It's disgustingly selfish and SCGL should send you a warning.
5. I am a customer, and I deserve decent service. If my kid isn't learning because you are not investing resources in her team when I am paying you good money to do so, I will go elsewhere.

And we did. We are now at YJ, and we love our coach, and the fact that the program actually supports putting our league first during league season - and even states that if your league is at a tournament you should play for THEM. My daughter made a great team and they value her and its obvious. It may not be the top top team, but I don't care. Our team does extra practices (not just the 10 they have to do). They work the girls hard, but are flexible with us, and we even have a team mom, who is wonderful. We are treated with respect not like cattle, or a number, or a cash cow.

We are not the only ones who feel this way.

Lack of respect
Lack of customer service.
Lack of coaching.

Bye bye TG. We don't miss you. Not even a little. And the thing is, as pissed off as I am - my poor kid had to endure that horrible year in a program that she should enjoy, that she should be proud of. Hall of shame, only place for you, TG.

Last time I checked WE didn't play your daughter played .....you watched and complained and probably got carded from the stands!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe, but as of now my daughter is loving it. I'll post back after the season. The great thing is that as Long Islanders we do have tons of options.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe, but as of now my daughter is loving it. I'll post back after the season. The great thing is that as Long Islanders we do have tons of options.
Does that mean one of the TG Psycho daddies has infiltrated the YJ ranks? Yikes! Maybe he can hang out with that Psycho mamma coach.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YJ is the landing spot for disgruntaled TG and vice versa. After those two bridges are burnt, what's the next option? I see people swaping back and forth, rarely do you see them crying on the threads, this person must be seriously upset. Next option, serious question. List in order please.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i agree topguns coaching besides the family, aint that good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
its all about the money ..... why should i buy new uniforms

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Please dont !!!!!!Nobody really values your opinion.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Say what you want but YJ coaching for the most part and especially with their top teams is much better. My daughter is also a transfer and there is no comparison the coaching at her age on YJ is fantastic. That being said I actually think the talent on the top TG team in the age group is better so if the saying holds about playing with better kids holds true it's a toss up between which team would help her improve more. I coach a younger level town team and have to say I now watch every minute of her YJ practices ,I have learned more from these 3 practices coaching wise than I did all of last year. YJ practices have a lot of team drills and team concepts while the TG practices almost seemed to be a try-out with 1 on 1 etc and individual concepts.Just my experience so far.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Say what you want but YJ coaching for the most part and especially with their top teams is much better. My daughter is also a transfer and there is no comparison the coaching at her age on YJ is fantastic. That being said I actually think the talent on the top TG team in the age group is better so if the saying holds about playing with better kids holds true it's a toss up between which team would help her improve more. I coach a younger level town team and have to say I now watch every minute of her YJ practices ,I have learned more from these 3 practices coaching wise than I did all of last year. YJ practices have a lot of team drills and team concepts while the TG practices almost seemed to be a try-out with 1 on 1 etc and individual concepts.Just my experience so far.

I can appreciate that, but it also brings forth the following question.. Am I letting my daughter play travel lacrosse so that the “Team” can get better or for “her” to get better? I don’t have the answer but I’m curious about other opinions

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can appreciate that, but it also brings forth the following question.. Am I letting my daughter play travel lacrosse so that the “Team” can get better or for “her” to get better? I don’t have the answer but I’m curious about other opinions

Here is something I am sure of, a very good coach can take a less talented team, get em coached up and easily beat a much more indkividually talented team with bad coaching.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We made the switch to TG this year and so far we are not impressed. My daughter and a few others were not on what our former club considered to be the best team and after a bit of coaxing decided to give it a try. Dunce cap parent of the year for me, girls are not welcoming and parents are worse. Watching grown men flock to the club owner at practice was amusing. Too late for us at this point and it was a stupid move before HS, warning to others-the grass is not always greener. JMHO.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

We made the switch to TG this year and so far we are not impressed. My daughter and a few others were not on what our former club considered to be the best team and after a bit of coaxing decided to give it a try. Dunce cap parent of the year for me, girls are not welcoming and parents are worse. Watching grown men flock to the club owner at practice was amusing. Too late for us at this point and it was a stupid move before HS, warning to others-the grass is not always greener. JMHO.

My experience was 180 degrees different from yours. My daughter and I were welcomed from the get-go.

My opinion is that each team, even within a club, has its own culture. I left one organization that was not welcoming (among other issues) but there are people on that team that are still happy. You have to find what works for your daughter and family, and it is unfortunate that you can't "try on" a team for size before making a commitment.

What is also unfortunate is that girls tend to get very clique-ish, and it's second nature to many of them to circle the wagons and keep the newcomers at bay. But wait, things may change over the course of the season when you are spending every weekend with the team and its parents. It's still early days to tar and feather the whole organization, IMO.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its only been 1 practice right? What exactly did you expect. There are no secrets or magic involved. The kids practice and the parents watch. How much time was there for the girls to be welcoming, there were a couple of teams practicing at the same time, I certainly didn't know who to welcome

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We made the switch to TG this year and so far we are not impressed. My daughter and a few others were not on what our former club considered to be the best team and after a

bit of coaxing decided to give it a try. Dunce cap parent of the year for me, girls are not welcoming and parents are worse. Watching grown men flock to the club owner at

practice was amusing. Too late for us at this point and it was a stupid move before HS, warning to others-the grass is not always greener. JMHO.

Its only been 1 practice right? What exactly did you expect. There are no secrets or magic involved. The kids practice and the parents watch. How much time was there for the girls to be welcoming, there were a couple of teams practicing at the same time, I certainly didn't know who to welcome

We played some winter lax too. I will ride out the year as will a few others but the clique is obvious. Thankfully my daughter became friendly with a few girls from the OTHER TG team and the parents seem down to earth and welcoming. Watched a 2 hour practice and so different on either team. Guess we will have to wAit for the dance to see what goes on.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here is something I am sure of, a very good coach can take a less talented team, get em coached up and easily beat a much more indkividually talented team with bad coaching.

Absolutely, but is team success all that important in your travel experience? It's been said on here many times that colleges don't recruit teams they recruit players..FWIW, I think playing on a team with other very good players, improving personally, having a little fun, is the main goal, wins and losses are nice, but in most tournaments they don't even keep score! Only us parents know who wins and loses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Learning how to play a team concept game does in my opinion make one a better individual player, ie taking the ball to the goal with your head up so you can see the double and make the correct pass etc. Honestly I am not sure what college coaches look for be it individual athletic ability , high lacrosse IQ,my guess is all the above and more.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Learning how to play a team concept game does in my opinion make one a better individual player, ie taking the ball to the goal with your head up so you can see the double and make the correct pass etc. Honestly I am not sure what college coaches look for be it individual athletic ability , high lacrosse IQ,my guess is all the above and more.
Unfortunately, most parents don’t feel the same way you do. From my experience with town, HS and travel ball, the focus seems to be on the individual level. It’s sad, but that’s the way it is. I was at a HS girl’s game on Monday and during the second half I overheard a conversation between two of the parents from the winning team. They were complaining that their daughter (who I think was in 8th grade) was not getting the ball enough and that the two superstars of the team were ball hogs and only pass to each other. One of the girls they complained about is a top rated player. I don’t think it mattered that their team was winning or that their daughter is fortunate enough to play with such a talented player. They were just upset that their kid didn’t get the ball enough.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately, most parents don’t feel the same way you do. From my experience with town, HS and travel ball, the focus seems to be on the individual level. It’s sad, but that’s the way it is. I was at a HS girl’s game on Monday and during the second half I overheard a conversation between two of the parents from the winning team. They were complaining that their daughter (who I think was in 8th grade) was not getting the ball enough and that the two superstars of the team were ball hogs and only pass to each other. One of the girls they complained about is a top rated player. I don’t think it mattered that their team was winning or that their daughter is fortunate enough to play with such a talented player. They were just upset that their kid didn’t get the ball enough.

Its simple, when you get the ball you have to make things happen with it. If you don't then why is it someone else's fault.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mr maryland got thrown out of 2 tournaments, I was there. and as a town team coach , he should know better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is hilarious! Why are folks getting all bent out of shape all in the name of possibly 2000/yr in scholarship money? Im glad that Im done with this foolishness.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
mr maryland got thrown out of 2 tournaments, I was there. and as a town team coach , he should know better.

Elaboration required, when you speak in code it is difficult for us to follow you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Are they YJ parents? It sounds like you’re talking about the parents everybody calls squeak and geek. She has an annoying squeaky voice and he is a geeky looking guy with glasses.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Elaboration required, when you speak in code it is difficult for us to follow you.
They’re talking about the lunatic who left TG for YJ and is bashing the TG program. I give him one season with YJ before he is considered Persona non grata by them as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its simple, when you get the ball you have to make things happen with it. If you don't then why is it someone else's fault.

When your daughter gets the ball it is time for parents to take action. Get up and start screaming as loud as you can to "go to goal". It doesn't matter if she way outside the fan, it doesn't matter that there are 4 defenders on her, it doesn't matter that 2 of her teamates are wide open, it doesn't matter that she has limited dodging ability and is going to try to bull her way through. Heck if she does this every time she gets the ball and ends up with 4 or 5 goals at the end of the game, its says she's a great player, except she tried to do 15 times, got stripped, put up weak shots etc........ don't put your daughter up to this, its bad lacrosse. Two girls can each score 5 goals in a game, one can look elegant and efficient with a few assist to go along, and the other "go to goal" girl looks ridiculus to everyone.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is officially the best post ever

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is officially the best post ever
It sounds like my kid, I gotta straiten her out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love this

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Haha, we all know that parent.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

When your daughter gets the ball it is time for parents to take action. Get up and start screaming as loud as you can to "go to goal". It doesn't matter if she way outside the fan, it doesn't matter that there are 4 defenders on her, it doesn't matter that 2 of her teamates are wide open, it doesn't matter that she has limited dodging ability and is going to try to bull her way through. Heck if she does this every time she gets the ball and ends up with 4 or 5 goals at the end of the game, its says she's a great player, except she tried to do 15 times, got stripped, put up weak shots etc........ don't put your daughter up to this, its bad lacrosse. Two girls can each score 5 goals in a game, one can look elegant and efficient with a few assist to go along, and the other "go to goal" girl looks ridiculus to everyone.
Maybe if you dress her up in neon colors she’ll look even better going to goal.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too funny the neon hair ribbons that just scream look at me. I can say I have never seen a kid wearing all those neon ribbons and said to myself that they are the best player on the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too funny the neon hair ribbons that just scream look at me. I can say I have never seen a kid wearing all those neon ribbons and said to myself that they are the best player on the field.
It's sort of like Flavor Flav wearing a clock around his neck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
university of maryland product .... how proud could UM be

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They’re talking about the lunatic who left TG for YJ and is bashing the TG program. I give him one season with YJ before he is considered Persona non grata by them as well.

What age group?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You're on here so I guess you're not silly!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Uniform
•Each Player Receives a Team Uniform
•First Year Player Receives -> BAG
•Second Year Player Receives -> Sweat Shirt
•Third Year Player Receives -> Sweat Pants
•Fourth Year Player Receives -> Long Sleeve Shirt

The TG website clearly states each player receives a new uniform which is included in the $1300, with perks being given the longer you are part of the organization. Bill Smith usually hands them out the practice before first tourney.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What age group?
I thought he was Mr. Syracuse? Isn’t he the guy that always wears the orange Syracuse hat?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Uniform

The TG website clearly states each player receives a new uniform which is included in the $1300, with perks being given the longer you are part of the organization. Bill Smith usually hands them out the practice before first tourney.
What a deal, but for some reason I’m having a hard time convincing my friends outside the lacrosse community.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Uniform

What a deal, but for some reason I’m having a hard time convincing my friends outside the lacrosse community.

Like Reply Quote
Page 59 of 220 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 219 220
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard