Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2026-8th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/05/22 06:17 PM
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous - 07/05/22 06:04 PM
Boys 2031-3rd Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/05/22 05:57 PM
Greater Howard Club Lacrosse Conference (HoCo)
by Anonymous - 07/05/22 05:57 PM
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous - 07/05/22 05:48 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,157
Posts341,841
Members2,465
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 427 of 643 1 2 425 426 427 428 429 642 643
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292214 09/05/19 10:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
You LI people just complain and complain some more news flash when your kid goes to college they play with kids 4 or 5 years older


Yes...but....they’re not in college and supposed to be judged at playing kids their own age. I think we all know that in HS and college, ages are mixed. Recruiting groups should not be. That is called an uncontrolled variable in statistics 101



Nerd

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292221 09/06/19 06:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
College coaches don't care one bit about holdbacks. Watch where this #1 2021 recruit goes. For things to change the relevant governing bodies need to make this CONTACT SPORT age based and not grade based. At present, the practice is gross, but effective......


This is never ever happening. The relevant governing bodies are not going to do anything. Ever. I would recommend therapy, or finding a non contact sport for your son. Try swimming, no holdbacks there.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292225 09/06/19 08:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid was 5"4 140# in 9th grade, freshmen in college last year he was 5"11 205. so a kid playing down 2 years in HS will stand out.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292235 09/06/19 10:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
a few topics i want to discuss

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Canisius - does this school not appeal to LI kids.

Bonnies - welcome to the party

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

Hobart - Hey guys put a few top contenders on your schedule -

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Siena - I see good things here

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he


My middle son was recruited by Binghamton, coach gives off a weird vibe. Not sure how to describe it but neither of us felt comfortable. Also campus is oddly situated, main road separates it from everything else, you need to drive to go anywhere. Great school and value. I look at Binghamton and Geneseo and think both should be attractive for kids serious about school so easy sell for coaches. In fact, I expect the better SUNY schools to become powerful programs as college costs keep going up and SUNY looks so darn attractive. Marist is an amazing campus surrounded by.....unattractive neighborhoods stocked with not the choicest of people.


HOLY COW! My son ruled Bing out right away because of a "Vibe" he got from coach as well. Then the assist started leaving and that sealed it. Such a shame, would/could have been a good thing. I agree with you on Geneseo


The vibe is real. A few guys I coach with were talking about Geneseo as more kids are looking at it. One guy said he hopes they don't move to D1 like their hockey program, that would ruin the program. Right now its a great school with a program that looks ready to start making tournament appearances, don't force D1. Many kids are transferring from lower tier D1 to D3 because its pure drudgery and not for everyone. I think over the next 5 years more kids will choose D3 or D2 over lower tier D1.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292241 09/06/19 11:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
a few topics i want to discuss

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Canisius - does this school not appeal to LI kids.

Bonnies - welcome to the party

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

Hobart - Hey guys put a few top contenders on your schedule -

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Siena - I see good things here

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he


My middle son was recruited by Binghamton, coach gives off a weird vibe. Not sure how to describe it but neither of us felt comfortable. Also campus is oddly situated, main road separates it from everything else, you need to drive to go anywhere. Great school and value. I look at Binghamton and Geneseo and think both should be attractive for kids serious about school so easy sell for coaches. In fact, I expect the better SUNY schools to become powerful programs as college costs keep going up and SUNY looks so darn attractive. Marist is an amazing campus surrounded by.....unattractive neighborhoods stocked with not the choicest of people.


HOLY COW! My son ruled Bing out right away because of a "Vibe" he got from coach as well. Then the assist started leaving and that sealed it. Such a shame, would/could have been a good thing. I agree with you on Geneseo


The vibe is real. A few guys I coach with were talking about Geneseo as more kids are looking at it. One guy said he hopes they don't move to D1 like their hockey program, that would ruin the program. Right now its a great school with a program that looks ready to start making tournament appearances, don't force D1. Many kids are transferring from lower tier D1 to D3 because its pure drudgery and not for everyone. I think over the next 5 years more kids will choose D3 or D2 over lower tier D1.



My understanding is that a school can be D3 and have 1 D1 program. The minute they have 2 D1 programs, the entire school has to go D1 So I doubt that will happen

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292243 09/06/19 12:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
a few topics i want to discuss

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Canisius - does this school not appeal to LI kids.

Bonnies - welcome to the party

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

Hobart - Hey guys put a few top contenders on your schedule -

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Siena - I see good things here

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he


My middle son was recruited by Binghamton, coach gives off a weird vibe. Not sure how to describe it but neither of us felt comfortable. Also campus is oddly situated, main road separates it from everything else, you need to drive to go anywhere. Great school and value. I look at Binghamton and Geneseo and think both should be attractive for kids serious about school so easy sell for coaches. In fact, I expect the better SUNY schools to become powerful programs as college costs keep going up and SUNY looks so darn attractive. Marist is an amazing campus surrounded by.....unattractive neighborhoods stocked with not the choicest of people.


HOLY COW! My son ruled Bing out right away because of a "Vibe" he got from coach as well. Then the assist started leaving and that sealed it. Such a shame, would/could have been a good thing. I agree with you on Geneseo




The vibe is real. A few guys I coach with were talking about Geneseo as more kids are looking at it. One guy said he hopes they don't move to D1 like their hockey program, that would ruin the program. Right now its a great school with a program that looks ready to start making tournament appearances, don't force D1. Many kids are transferring from lower tier D1 to D3 because its pure drudgery and not for everyone. I think over the next 5 years more kids will choose D3 or D2 over lower tier D1.



My understanding is that a school can be D3 and have 1 D1 program. The minute they have 2 D1 programs, the entire school has to go D1 So I doubt that will happen


Johns Hopkins fields 24 varsity teams, 22 of which compete at the NCAA Division III level. The other two, men’s and women’s lacrosse, both compete in Division I.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #292252 09/06/19 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real Question - I have been getting a bunch of emails about College Prospect Camps, for parents that have gone through this before is this a good way to be really seen by those coach's or is it just another money grab? Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292256 09/06/19 04:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Real Question - I have been getting a bunch of emails about College Prospect Camps, for parents that have gone through this before is this a good way to be really seen by those coach's or is it just another money grab? Thanks.

Great question. For the uninformed, you or your kid may think he is being recruited because he received the email. It is more likely the school got your email from a prior registration of a tournament that your club team played. Prospect days are a good way for a school to see your son play but don't just go there without having ever contacted the coach before. Your son should send an email with as much details as possible e.g. why he is interested in the school,grades, honors, what events he will be at in addition to the prospect day and highlight video. Unless your kids is an absolute stud the coaching staff will need to see your son play 4-5 times to get a good feeling for him as a player. That said, it is a money grab but only because it helps to supplement the assistant coaches income which can be as little as nothing. My personal opinion is only go to the ones you absolutely know he would want to go to school and play lacrosse. Don't do them too early which means you should go the summer before his junior year in HS if you want to have the most impact. You can do 1-2 earlier than that if you have the time and resources just to get a feel for the process. Prospect days are like 1 day showcases and can be hit or miss. We have been to ones where there is only one FOGO and the other teams offense barely gets the ball. You can also have situations where there are no lefty attack or 3 lefty attack. Be prepared for anything and have your son play true to his game as coaches will notice the flashy play but are really after the player that shows what he can do away from the ball and how he reacts after he makes a mistake. Does your son go after the ball or put his head down. Apologies for long winded explanation and others may differ in their opinion but this has been what I have seen over the past few years. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #292279 09/07/19 07:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a piece of advice: Go HARD at any prospect day you choose to attend. I have several examples (my son included) of kids who were contacted by college coaches with interest and then half-assed their way through a prospect day, thinking they were "all set", only to see it evaporate in front of their eyes. The misconception is that if college coaches watch you 5-7 times, they only have to see you light it up once. Wrong! They are looking for reasons NOT to take you....so don't give them any. If they watch you play well 6 times, but then see you phone it in on the 7th observation, you are done. So, pick schools which are academically and athletically appropriate. Then have your coaches (BOTH club and HS) call in advance so you are on the list of kids to watch. Then go hard for every second you are there. Do not take a single rep, drill or minute of scrimmage off. My son ended up at a great school, but literally gave away a similar top opportunity early on. He learned a very, very difficult lesson. Don't make the same mistake.....

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292313 09/09/19 02:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 70
C
Back of THE CAGE
Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is a piece of advice: Go HARD at any prospect day you choose to attend. I have several examples (my son included) of kids who were contacted by college coaches with interest and then half-assed their way through a prospect day, thinking they were "all set", only to see it evaporate in front of their eyes. The misconception is that if college coaches watch you 5-7 times, they only have to see you light it up once. Wrong! They are looking for reasons NOT to take you....so don't give them any. If they watch you play well 6 times, but then see you phone it in on the 7th observation, you are done. So, pick schools which are academically and athletically appropriate. Then have your coaches (BOTH club and HS) call in advance so you are on the list of kids to watch. Then go hard for every second you are there. Do not take a single rep, drill or minute of scrimmage off. My son ended up at a great school, but literally gave away a similar top opportunity early on. He learned a very, very difficult lesson. Don't make the same mistake.....


Best advice that I have seen on here. Pick your top schools, reach out to the coaches, send them highlight films, let your HS and/or travel Coach know that you are interested in those schools and ask them to reach out and play the best lacrosse you have played. You will also be surprised in what a coach looks at. One school we went to, my son didn't do that great in my eyes. But the coach reached out to us, and pointed to all of his potential and what his good points were. It wasn't about how many goals he got (he plays attack), it was his off ball movement, decision making, quick release, etc. Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys High School Lax
Colts21 #292318 09/09/19 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Colts21
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is a piece of advice: Go HARD at any prospect day you choose to attend. I have several examples (my son included) of kids who were contacted by college coaches with interest and then half-assed their way through a prospect day, thinking they were "all set", only to see it evaporate in front of their eyes. The misconception is that if college coaches watch you 5-7 times, they only have to see you light it up once. Wrong! They are looking for reasons NOT to take you....so don't give them any. If they watch you play well 6 times, but then see you phone it in on the 7th observation, you are done. So, pick schools which are academically and athletically appropriate. Then have your coaches (BOTH club and HS) call in advance so you are on the list of kids to watch. Then go hard for every second you are there. Do not take a single rep, drill or minute of scrimmage off. My son ended up at a great school, but literally gave away a similar top opportunity early on. He learned a very, very difficult lesson. Don't make the same mistake.....


Best advice that I have seen on here. Pick your top schools, reach out to the coaches, send them highlight films, let your HS and/or travel Coach know that you are interested in those schools and ask them to reach out and play the best lacrosse you have played. You will also be surprised in what a coach looks at. One school we went to, my son didn't do that great in my eyes. But the coach reached out to us, and pointed to all of his potential and what his good points were. It wasn't about how many goals he got (he plays attack), it was his off ball movement, decision making, quick release, etc. Good luck!

Totally agree. If every player attending the prospect day played as though it was their HS or club team then every kid out there would receive a decent look/evaluation from the college coaches. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, there are many kids that think they must do something breath taking each time they have the ball. Having been through this and been able to speak with the many college coaches during the recruiting process I can tell you the coaches look for off-ball movement, hustle and how you react if or when you make a mistake. If you bust your arse they will notice. If you put your head down, sulk, drag your stick or walk off the field, they notice. As important, parents should keep their mouth shut on the sideline.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #292321 09/09/19 04:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Gents for the feedback, it's very much appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292322 09/09/19 04:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 70
C
Back of THE CAGE
Offline
Back of THE CAGE
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Colts21
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Here is a piece of advice: Go HARD at any prospect day you choose to attend. I have several examples (my son included) of kids who were contacted by college coaches with interest and then half-assed their way through a prospect day, thinking they were "all set", only to see it evaporate in front of their eyes. The misconception is that if college coaches watch you 5-7 times, they only have to see you light it up once. Wrong! They are looking for reasons NOT to take you....so don't give them any. If they watch you play well 6 times, but then see you phone it in on the 7th observation, you are done. So, pick schools which are academically and athletically appropriate. Then have your coaches (BOTH club and HS) call in advance so you are on the list of kids to watch. Then go hard for every second you are there. Do not take a single rep, drill or minute of scrimmage off. My son ended up at a great school, but literally gave away a similar top opportunity early on. He learned a very, very difficult lesson. Don't make the same mistake.....


Best advice that I have seen on here. Pick your top schools, reach out to the coaches, send them highlight films, let your HS and/or travel Coach know that you are interested in those schools and ask them to reach out and play the best lacrosse you have played. You will also be surprised in what a coach looks at. One school we went to, my son didn't do that great in my eyes. But the coach reached out to us, and pointed to all of his potential and what his good points were. It wasn't about how many goals he got (he plays attack), it was his off ball movement, decision making, quick release, etc. Good luck!

Totally agree. If every player attending the prospect day played as though it was their HS or club team then every kid out there would receive a decent look/evaluation from the college coaches. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, there are many kids that think they must do something breath taking each time they have the ball. Having been through this and been able to speak with the many college coaches during the recruiting process I can tell you the coaches look for off-ball movement, hustle and how you react if or when you make a mistake. If you bust your arse they will notice. If you put your head down, sulk, drag your stick or walk off the field, they notice. As important, parents should keep their mouth shut on the sideline.


This is the best thread I have seen on here. Great advice.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
B_O_T_C #292325 09/09/19 05:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
is there a certain time of year prospect days are typically held (fall)? and when should a kid start doing them? assuming they are in the fall, would it be the fall of sophmore and junior year? is it a dense idea to do a local one he may or might not be interested in just to see what its about?

thanks

Like Reply Quote
Re: Boys High School Lax
Anonymous #292337 09/10/19 08:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
is there a certain time of year prospect days are typically held (fall)? and when should a kid start doing them? assuming they are in the fall, would it be the fall of sophmore and junior year? is it a dense idea to do a local one he may or might not be interested in just to see what its about?

thanks

https://beginnerlacrosse.com/lacrosse-prospect-days-camps/

good website that tries to stay up to date with prospect days and showcases. I think you need to start the process in the Fall of their sophomore year. Most will be September and October because the recruiting tournaments tend to be the first three weeks of November. If pursuing D1 then you should consider a couple prospect days to supplement his clubs tournament schedule. If interested in D3 there is less of a rebels as most D3 programs recruit well into the Junior year.

Like Reply Quote
Page 427 of 643 1 2 425 426 427 428 429 642 643
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard







Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4