BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,610
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 160 of 264 1 2 158 159 160 161 162 263 264
Re: Boys High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hows the kid from Chaminade working out at Duke?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In college the extra year is no longer an advantage. In HS it IS. This double hold back was very good even on age. Maybe he needed the extra year to make prop 48 so he could actually go to college-could be-ever met the patriarch?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous

No idea who the kid at Duke is but lax or no lax - the kids at Duke so I somehow think all will be OK and what ever decision his family previously made probably was the right one. And if this is a holdback reference, instead of graduating at 22 he will graduate at 23. Oh my - the horror. Hopefully the sarcasm is noted

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bench warmer, but that's what you sign up for.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It sounds like you know the answer to your own question......and no one cares.

Worry about your own family and stop calling individuals out.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your right I was wrong to point one kid out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to ask, they had their kid repeat a grade so he can get into a top school knowing he was never going to see the field.? I find it hard to believe the kid is a good player. Why not stay on grade and go to Tuffs, Wesleyan,etc; get a great education and playing time?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
" the kid from Chaminade working out at Duke?"

Seems like then send 2 or 3 a year so there. As noted, rich world problems i wish my son has to deal with...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to ask, they had their kid repeat a grade so he can get into a top school knowing he was never going to see the field.? I find it hard to believe the kid is a good player. Why not stay on grade and go to Tuffs, Wesleyan,etc; get a great education and playing time?

Nothing in life is guaranteed, especially playing time in college. It's not guaranteed in "top schools" or at Tufts or Wesleyan.

It's all a crapshoot, playing time is determined not only by talent but by work ethic, attitude, luck, timing and the ability to stay healthy. Just to name a few....

You help your child make the best choice at the time, with the info you have and hope for the best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Seems like then send 2 or 3 a year so there. As noted, rich world problems i wish my son has to deal with...

Not all Chaminade or Duke families are 'rich', trust me.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great reply, very true

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not all Chaminade or Duke families are 'rich', trust me.

It cost me a dime for a child o' mine to ride the pine, but when he graduates the IVY line, it'll be his time to shine.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With a degree from Duke. There are only a few schools I would trade playing for vs. riding the bench at Duke.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a few topics i want to discuss

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Canisius - does this school not appeal to LI kids.

Bonnies - welcome to the party

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

Hobart - Hey guys put a few top contenders on your schedule -

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Siena - I see good things here

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he

My middle son was recruited by Binghamton, coach gives off a weird vibe. Not sure how to describe it but neither of us felt comfortable. Also campus is oddly situated, main road separates it from everything else, you need to drive to go anywhere. Great school and value. I look at Binghamton and Geneseo and think both should be attractive for kids serious about school so easy sell for coaches. In fact, I expect the better SUNY schools to become powerful programs as college costs keep going up and SUNY looks so darn attractive. Marist is an amazing campus surrounded by.....unattractive neighborhoods stocked with not the choicest of people.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In college the extra year is no longer an advantage. In HS it IS. This double hold back was very good even on age. Maybe he needed the extra year to make prop 48 so he could actually go to college-could be-ever met the patriarch?

Not only are you ignorant, you are J@#! MeanyAn extra year in college is a huge advantage.

Go slither back under your rock.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With a degree from Duke. There are only a few schools I would trade playing for vs. riding the bench at Duke.

Can't get much of a job as a history, etc. major, and you still ride the pine. No thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can't get much of a job as a history, etc. major, and you still ride the pine. No thanks.

Keep telling yourself that. Kids that come out of schools like Duke, Georgetown, Hopkins, ND, Ivy's have incredible opportunities. You sound like a jealous parent. Just so we are clear, was your son offered a spot a Duke? Did you advise him to turn it down?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe he can work next to you on the landscaping crew, or is that for dudes with a GED and some HS JV football memories only?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any two teams in the country with more D1 commits than Chaminade and St. Anthony's?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know when the Showtime invites go out?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are there any two teams in the country with more D1 commits than Chaminade and St. Anthony's?

Yes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe some of Maryland private HS.....

I assume we a speaking of male lax athletes only.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes.

Agreed especially many of the prep schools e.g. Salisbury, The Hill, etc., for the simple fact private schools recruit or for the fact kids pick schools like St. A or Chaminade because they want to play for that program. Chaminade has more to offer than lacrosse but it is definitely one of the appeals. The better question to ask is what public HS have the most D1 commits. That said, you should expand the variable to D1-D3 commits because many excellent players go the D3 route for various reasons such as excellent academics, quality lacrosse but not as intense, etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

College coaches on the hot seat and the impact the carousel of coaches jumping has.

I think it is great the change from just a few years ago having the colleges wait until Junior year to recruit a player. Yes, a student should love the school so if the coach changes you still want to be at the school but the reality is, Lets say a school like Notre Dame. Byrne leaving for Havard is huge. Lets say a Duke/UVA/Yale recruit who didnt like Corrigan but loved Jerry would have most definitely considered Havard. Some will say the coaches just flip flopped, and I hear you but will agree to disagree.

NY schools

What has happened in Binghampton. Was the coach lucky in his first year with some really good transfers. Assit Coach jumping there is troubling. Being a top notch school why the heck hasnt NYS promoted this program. Am I the only one seeing this as a gold mine for some coach.

Colgate - could see a resurgence here, but take a cerytain student. ya really gotta like being away from everything

Cornell - Mighty mite. clear case where school means more than coach. Coach is good but a bit nepolianic rubbing poeple the wrong way.

'Cuse, losing a lot of recruits the past year, will there be a rebound, are some hot shot young players look up north. Love that staff but could things be heating up. Has Duke taken the kids you thought would have gone to 'Cuse. (Nope)

Albany - This is the perfect example of being a perfect fit both school and coach wise. Look at the coach and school if you fit this mold its perfect for you

Marist - Shocked it isnt any better nationally in lax. this is an amazing Campus.

Army - Thank you for your service!! Takes a special kid. unfortunately i dont see that in a few of their recruits and just have top shake my head.

Hofstra St Johns Manhattan and Wagner. I like McCutcheon from Momnmouth for Wagner. I am shocked why St Johns and Manhattan still havnt brought in real big name guys. St Johns, Manhattan and Hofstra do not have football but have hoops Lax could and should be a bigger focus. New Ad at Manhattan needs to pull the trigger and start the search. For a coach with a losing record should he

My middle son was recruited by Binghamton, coach gives off a weird vibe. Not sure how to describe it but neither of us felt comfortable. Also campus is oddly situated, main road separates it from everything else, you need to drive to go anywhere. Great school and value. I look at Binghamton and Geneseo and think both should be attractive for kids serious about school so easy sell for coaches. In fact, I expect the better SUNY schools to become powerful programs as college costs keep going up and SUNY looks so darn attractive. Marist is an amazing campus surrounded by.....unattractive neighborhoods stocked with not the choicest of people.

HOLY COW! My son ruled Bing out right away because of a "Vibe" he got from coach as well. Then the assist started leaving and that sealed it. Such a shame, would/could have been a good thing. I agree with you on Geneseo

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kid was a stud when he was in grade school and when he played on grade...assuming 20 is his true class...not sure if he was a double hold back or not.

not should've 2019

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ty should do his home work promoting a kid that has cheated the system and gets number one ranking, if he was playing on grade he would average at best.

Nope, you are wrong. He’s not a double holdback and he has always played with the older team. Average at best? Come watch one of his high school games next spring and you will see his not “average”. Kids a stud.

He’s a great player, but let’s be honest, as an ‘01 he plays on age with Crush. Not eligible to play New York State public as he’ll be 19 as a senior.

on age 2001 DOB in NY were 91 Orange. and if my memories is correct a few crush kids wereon 91 orange at one time. Come to think about it how many holdbacks does crush have now. WOW a lot... give more credit to those who didnt... some kids are 1% for a reason - others are like 2% milk, not heavy enough to carry the load on age!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You LI people just complain and complain some more news flash when your kid goes to college they play with kids 4 or 5 years older

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches don't care one bit about holdbacks. Watch where this #1 2021 recruit goes. For things to change the relevant governing bodies need to make this CONTACT SPORT age based and not grade based. At present, the practice is gross, but effective......

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You LI people just complain and complain some more news flash when your kid goes to college they play with kids 4 or 5 years older

Yes...but....they’re not in college and supposed to be judged at playing kids their own age. I think we all know that in HS and college, ages are mixed. Recruiting groups should not be. That is called an uncontrolled variable in statistics 101

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes...but....they’re not in college and supposed to be judged at playing kids their own age. I think we all know that in HS and college, ages are mixed. Recruiting groups should not be. That is called an uncontrolled variable in statistics 101

Nerd

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
College coaches don't care one bit about holdbacks. Watch where this #1 2021 recruit goes. For things to change the relevant governing bodies need to make this CONTACT SPORT age based and not grade based. At present, the practice is gross, but effective......

This is never ever happening. The relevant governing bodies are not going to do anything. Ever. I would recommend therapy, or finding a non contact sport for your son. Try swimming, no holdbacks there.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid was 5"4 140# in 9th grade, freshmen in college last year he was 5"11 205. so a kid playing down 2 years in HS will stand out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

HOLY COW! My son ruled Bing out right away because of a "Vibe" he got from coach as well. Then the assist started leaving and that sealed it. Such a shame, would/could have been a good thing. I agree with you on Geneseo

The vibe is real. A few guys I coach with were talking about Geneseo as more kids are looking at it. One guy said he hopes they don't move to D1 like their hockey program, that would ruin the program. Right now its a great school with a program that looks ready to start making tournament appearances, don't force D1. Many kids are transferring from lower tier D1 to D3 because its pure drudgery and not for everyone. I think over the next 5 years more kids will choose D3 or D2 over lower tier D1.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

The vibe is real. A few guys I coach with were talking about Geneseo as more kids are looking at it. One guy said he hopes they don't move to D1 like their hockey program, that would ruin the program. Right now its a great school with a program that looks ready to start making tournament appearances, don't force D1. Many kids are transferring from lower tier D1 to D3 because its pure drudgery and not for everyone. I think over the next 5 years more kids will choose D3 or D2 over lower tier D1.

My understanding is that a school can be D3 and have 1 D1 program. The minute they have 2 D1 programs, the entire school has to go D1 So I doubt that will happen

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NY schools

My understanding is that a school can be D3 and have 1 D1 program. The minute they have 2 D1 programs, the entire school has to go D1 So I doubt that will happen

Johns Hopkins fields 24 varsity teams, 22 of which compete at the NCAA Division III level. The other two, men’s and women’s lacrosse, both compete in Division I.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real Question - I have been getting a bunch of emails about College Prospect Camps, for parents that have gone through this before is this a good way to be really seen by those coach's or is it just another money grab? Thanks.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Real Question - I have been getting a bunch of emails about College Prospect Camps, for parents that have gone through this before is this a good way to be really seen by those coach's or is it just another money grab? Thanks.

Great question. For the uninformed, you or your kid may think he is being recruited because he received the email. It is more likely the school got your email from a prior registration of a tournament that your club team played. Prospect days are a good way for a school to see your son play but don't just go there without having ever contacted the coach before. Your son should send an email with as much details as possible e.g. why he is interested in the school,grades, honors, what events he will be at in addition to the prospect day and highlight video. Unless your kids is an absolute stud the coaching staff will need to see your son play 4-5 times to get a good feeling for him as a player. That said, it is a money grab but only because it helps to supplement the assistant coaches income which can be as little as nothing. My personal opinion is only go to the ones you absolutely know he would want to go to school and play lacrosse. Don't do them too early which means you should go the summer before his junior year in HS if you want to have the most impact. You can do 1-2 earlier than that if you have the time and resources just to get a feel for the process. Prospect days are like 1 day showcases and can be hit or miss. We have been to ones where there is only one FOGO and the other teams offense barely gets the ball. You can also have situations where there are no lefty attack or 3 lefty attack. Be prepared for anything and have your son play true to his game as coaches will notice the flashy play but are really after the player that shows what he can do away from the ball and how he reacts after he makes a mistake. Does your son go after the ball or put his head down. Apologies for long winded explanation and others may differ in their opinion but this has been what I have seen over the past few years. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is a piece of advice: Go HARD at any prospect day you choose to attend. I have several examples (my son included) of kids who were contacted by college coaches with interest and then half-assed their way through a prospect day, thinking they were "all set", only to see it evaporate in front of their eyes. The misconception is that if college coaches watch you 5-7 times, they only have to see you light it up once. Wrong! They are looking for reasons NOT to take you....so don't give them any. If they watch you play well 6 times, but then see you phone it in on the 7th observation, you are done. So, pick schools which are academically and athletically appropriate. Then have your coaches (BOTH club and HS) call in advance so you are on the list of kids to watch. Then go hard for every second you are there. Do not take a single rep, drill or minute of scrimmage off. My son ended up at a great school, but literally gave away a similar top opportunity early on. He learned a very, very difficult lesson. Don't make the same mistake.....

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Here is a piece of advice: Go HARD at any prospect day you choose to attend. I have several examples (my son included) of kids who were contacted by college coaches with interest and then half-assed their way through a prospect day, thinking they were "all set", only to see it evaporate in front of their eyes. The misconception is that if college coaches watch you 5-7 times, they only have to see you light it up once. Wrong! They are looking for reasons NOT to take you....so don't give them any. If they watch you play well 6 times, but then see you phone it in on the 7th observation, you are done. So, pick schools which are academically and athletically appropriate. Then have your coaches (BOTH club and HS) call in advance so you are on the list of kids to watch. Then go hard for every second you are there. Do not take a single rep, drill or minute of scrimmage off. My son ended up at a great school, but literally gave away a similar top opportunity early on. He learned a very, very difficult lesson. Don't make the same mistake.....

Best advice that I have seen on here. Pick your top schools, reach out to the coaches, send them highlight films, let your HS and/or travel Coach know that you are interested in those schools and ask them to reach out and play the best lacrosse you have played. You will also be surprised in what a coach looks at. One school we went to, my son didn't do that great in my eyes. But the coach reached out to us, and pointed to all of his potential and what his good points were. It wasn't about how many goals he got (he plays attack), it was his off ball movement, decision making, quick release, etc. Good luck!

Like Reply Quote
Page 160 of 264 1 2 158 159 160 161 162 263 264
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard