BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,735
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 69 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 68 69
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2012/Spring 2013
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
3 8th graders in my town were asked to play up to JV by the varsity coach for the first time in many years...
2 big strong kids and 1 average size player but tuff...
long story short;
one of the big kids failed the NYS standardized stregth, speed and endurance test...

so the coaches were forced to send him back to middle school level...

Your town will catch on as many other do, where the test is a formality and the players will find their way up regardless if they pass any portion of the test.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
3 8th graders in my town were asked to play up to JV by the varsity coach for the first time in many years...
long story short;
one of the big kids failed the NYS standardized stregth, speed and endurance test...

Your town will catch on as many other do, where the test is a formality and the players will find their way up regardless if they pass any portion of the test.

My son and 4 others were told back in December they would be moved up to JV and began working on the test. The varsity coach called me to detail the plan and explain that it was in my sons best interest for the level he is at.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
You are an idiot !!!! Let me get this straight...an older player is going to "send a message" to a kid from the same town who may be friends with some of the older players and their families. Back in the day you probably had your school lunch money taken from you !!!! Many town players older and younger play and train together....thats reality..

Wow,wow,wow ! How about the younger kids getting bullied and not getting the same scrimmage time during practice unless the coaches get involved. For instance during winter indoor ball what is the chance an 8th grade kid would play man up over a 10th grader in a JV game. The older may even threaten the little guy so what makes you think the older guys will not gang up on a younger guy. Watch the news lately where a couple of geeky track guys hazed a frosh at The Bronx School of Science , so imagine what it is like in a contact sport where these 8th graders are experiencing a one handed check and man ball for the first time. You must have ran track or played tennis in high school.

Why do you say the "little guy"? Some of the 8th grade kids being brought up are 6' tall. These athletes that are being brought up are being brought up because it was well thought out on all sides. BTW, what 8th grader, these days, has not experienced a one handed check or man ball? Each year the talent, training, coaching & desire gets more intense. The time on a lacrosse field against athletes just like them increases. IDK where you live but, the kids in my town respect eachother as athletes. Are there some kids that will feel threatened? Of course but, put it out on the field. The older players on my sons team took them under their wing (some of them were brought up younger also) BTW having a few younger kids being brought up, put a "fire" under their butts to play better! Kumbaya!!

There's no coddling in lacrosse. IF the little darlins can take the physical abuse in JV and Varsity proactices and games then they belong. IF they can't, it was a mistake.

EXACTLY!!!

Yes sir. What can I do for you?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand why people on this post seem so apposed to kids playing up. Believe me the HS and JV coaches are looking for kids that they can develop and only see it as a mechanism to make the program better. WI has been doing it for years and even if its just for practices the players get used to high speed the game is played and are more prepared when their time comes. When a town has a special player coming up in the ranks those coaches do everything they can to encourage and challenge them. It seems most the chatter on this post comes from the fear of parents worried the younger player "taking" time from upperclassmen. If thats the case you are not thinking about the long term success of the program and only your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't understand why people on this post seem so apposed to kids playing up. Believe me the HS and JV coaches are looking for kids that they can develop and only see it as a mechanism to make the program better. WI has been doing it for years and even if its just for practices the players get used to high speed the game is played and are more prepared when their time comes. When a town has a special player coming up in the ranks those coaches do everything they can to encourage and challenge them. It seems most the chatter on this post comes from the fear of parents worried the younger player "taking" time from upperclassmen. If thats the case you are not thinking about the long term success of the program and only your kid.

Its the pushy attitude of the parents that is so distasteful about the process. There are thousands of dilusional parents who all think that their little darlins are the next Rabil. The problem is, they can't all be - yet if it were up to most parents, they would have their kid moved up whether its the right thing or not. Sometimes even going over the coach's head to the AD or even higher. If I were a coach, that would be a huge red flag if a parent tried to strong arm or influence others in the administration. But it happens, and happens a lot, and its grotesque and most coaches see right through it. The whole accelerated college recruiting thing has warped a lot of parents into desperation to have their kid moved up as fast as they can. I feel bad for the coaches outside of the stronger schools - they are getting run over by the inmates. Only the coaches who have been around a while with a great track record can "flip off" these pushy parents and do it their way. The newer coaches are red meat for these parents.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are a few Baltimore teams left out of the mix:
BLC Crabs....big, fast...not sure they live up to the hype...they add and remove players consistently
FCA Blue....new kids on the block, solid D, fast at midfield, an attack that can finish, great coaching, watch out for them

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its the pushy attitude of the parents that is so distasteful about the process. There are thousands of dilusional parents who all think that their little darlins are the next Rabil. The problem is, they can't all be - yet if it were up to most parents, they would have their kid moved up whether its the right thing or not. Sometimes even going over the coach's head to the AD or even higher. If I were a coach, that would be a huge red flag if a parent tried to strong arm or influence others in the administration. But it happens, and happens a lot, and its grotesque and most coaches see right through it. The whole accelerated college recruiting thing has warped a lot of parents into desperation to have their kid moved up as fast as they can. I feel bad for the coaches outside of the stronger schools - they are getting run over by the inmates. Only the coaches who have been around a while with a great track record can "flip off" these pushy parents and do it their way. The newer coaches are red meat for these parents.

Parent Quote: "If you don;t pull up my 8th grader, I will have them transfer to St. Anthony;s next year."

My answer would have been: "Good luck!"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Parent Quote: "If you don;t pull up my 8th grader, I will have them transfer to St. Anthony;s next year."

That's excatly the answer they will/should get from a town with a strong school program. In a weak town, they might get their way. Once these school coaches open it up for one kid, its like opening the gates of [lacrosse].

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Must be a product of the Express. And, good luck with that as St Ants almost never moves kids up. Knowing that I'm sure, these parents are just bluffing. Would backfire at a GC or similar caliber lax program big time.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Whatever parent said this to a coach is the ultimate A-hole and better just move his kid to St Ants now because that reputational damage will stay with him until his kid graduates. Nobeody ever forgets this kind of hubris and brashness. A shame for the kid to have a parent like this do damage to his chances long term. I'm sure the parent will regret it if he hasn't already. No doubt reading this too.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Somebody ask about the definition of lax daddy? Right before your eyes, the worst of the worst.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Image in my head. Ever present father with too much time on his hands, mother not very involved, grew up in one of the 5 boroughs, never played lax and thinks his kid is all-world. Nightmare for any coach.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Somebody ask about the definition of lax daddy? Right before your eyes, the worst of the worst.

My town is the opposite if there is any indication your going to St A or Cham the plyer will not get pulled up. But other players who do not neccessarily pass the "mandated" test do.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Totally agree

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Instead of whining you might consider enrolling your son in a summer lacrosse venue instead of Summer camp. Choice is simple Catskills or lax skills buddy.
Maybe all of the kids who chose work hard all summer should wait on sidelines until your guy "gets it"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's excatly the answer they will/should get from a town with a strong school program. In a weak town, they might get their way. Once these school coaches open it up for one kid, its like opening the gates of [lacrosse].

No, not exactly the answer.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Absolutely NOT happening anywhere I know of. Most of these kids being brought up were asked to do so months ago because the JV/V coaches asked them to. Again, there is a process that needs to be followed & it IS followed. Again, IDK anywhere they weren't. It is a rigorous physical & I have heard of atheletes that did not pass & are not being brought up. I am sure there are parents that get a bit pushy but, you seem to be speaking of the minority not "thousands". We are outside of the so called "stronger schools" & no "inmates" are going to run over these coaches! Sorry to burst your bubble but, there are some 8th graders that deserve and CAN handle the JV/V level!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Must be a product of the Express. And, good luck with that as St Ants almost never moves kids up. Knowing that I'm sure, these parents are just bluffing. Would backfire at a GC or similar caliber lax program big time.

Cold Spring Harbor??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cold Spring Harbor??

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner with a super whiner at CSH who used exactly that approach. Unbelievable. Really.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
trying to find out who is in OBLL and who is going into that league in Queens?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is s spring league at [...] the past few years. Dont know if it is still going on but the competition was very good with NJ teams, Tristate and Conn teams like Darien and Fairfield coming in to play Long Island teams.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
trying to find out who is in OBLL
The OBLL teams listing was provided here on BOTC in that thread. While it is always possible that teams will be added or dropped, the majority of this listing was accurate at the start of the seaosn last week.

OBLL Team Listing - Spring 2013

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cold Spring Harbor??

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner with a super whiner at CSH who used exactly that approach. Unbelievable. Really.

What is "Unbelievable. Really". is that you posted this!! You, yourself, heard the parents "use exactly that approach"? Or perhaps, someone told you that happened? Or, even more likely, your son (who wasnt brought up) told you that approach was used...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thanks sage for the update on OBLL. Do you have the SHAMROCK schedule?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cold Spring Harbor??

Good luck to the coach if he "caved in" - you've opened the gates to [lacrosse] AND pandoras box. Also, good luck to the other parents and kids who play the same position as the kid with the "We're going to St Antony's" parents in question - you have a nightmare on your hands until your son graduates.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Whats really unbelievable is that you woke up at 6:58 am on a Saturday morning to go hating on an eighth grade kid. Get help.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does anyone know if its true that a 8th grade player who gets pulled up to JV loses Freshman Lax eligibility at Catholic School?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
absolutely not!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do they have to play at the JV/Varsity level during the summer season?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they cant play u15 if playing jv or varsity.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

NOT true

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what rules are you reading? go to us lacrosse site and see it's all about how old you are. when you are born. nothing to do with where they play for their schools. all of the major tournaments are age requirement only.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is not true

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do they have to play at the JV/Varsity level during the summer season?

No, In fact they would love it if you're son played in 9th grade somewhere, and then decided to go to St Ants again as freshman and repeat 9th grade. They do it all the time in Maryland.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
long story short;

My son and 4 others were told back in December they would be moved up to JV and began working on the test. The varsity coach called me to detail the plan and explain that it was in my sons best interest for the level he is at.

Are all the boys going to make it ? in our school 1 made and 2 did not . had something to do with the puberty level .

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
long story short;

Are all the boys going to make it ? in our school 1 made and 2 did not . had something to do with the puberty level .

There is a "Maturation test". There is a form for the doctor to fill out while giving a physical examination, there are forms for the JV/V coach, parent permission forms and then there is an "Athletic Profile" with specific standards for each athlete to meet. It is a process. Any good athlete could fail to meet the standards on this test.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
long story short;

There is a "Maturation test". There is a form for the doctor to fill out while giving a physical examination, there are forms for the JV/V coach, parent permission forms and then there is an "Athletic Profile" with specific standards for each athlete to meet. It is a process. Any good athlete could fail to meet the standards on this test.

It appears to me, upon reading through this discussion, that the depth of knowledge seems to vary on this topic. Looks like those who are MOST educated on the subject do NOT make blanket statements, as if their own feelings should be imposed upon ALL whom it affects. Conversely, those who have the LEAST understanding of this matter, declare what they believe is fact, and should be agreed upon by ALL. Just an observation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
long story short;

Yes all passed the tests and were moved up

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does US Lacrosse have to do with anything. If you are on this thread you should know that every rule that US Lacrosse has is broken at EVERY tournament there is. Most tournaments could not care about US Lacrosse rules.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding moving kids up - Advice to the coaches - just say NO! You don't get paid enough to have to deal with the 50 other sets of parents frothing at the mouth to get their kid through the crack of the door that you've opened for one kid who you let through.

Like Reply Quote
Page 25 of 69 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 68 69
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard