03/10/16 12:34 PM
03/10/16 12:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why are parents "lobbying" for their daughters? Let them tryout/play without your phone calls, emails and texts. You are not the coach and shouldn't be in their ear anyway. Everyone knows the moms and dads who do this over and over.

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: TommyM] #154326
03/10/16 01:04 PM
03/10/16 01:04 PM
M
MKVELE Offline
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
M

If I may give an opinion, this whole discussion could end if NY State would go to the 4 year varsity rule. Personally, No 7th or 8th grader should play varsity. Say what you want about the best players, but if the district puts in a coach that, in this day and age, only wants to coach during season, and not invest the time in the youth organization, than they should only play with the available players from high school. The only exception should be if not enough girls tryout (20). If you look at the most successful programs all have very good youth programs.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154333
03/10/16 01:42 PM
03/10/16 01:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ridiculous that Huntington has 7th and 8 th graders trying out for varsity and jv.... Are they that desperate for talent?

Is it true Riverhead brought a whole group of 8th graders up to varsity?? I heard not just one kid but like 5-6 kids??

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154338
03/10/16 01:50 PM
03/10/16 01:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

DO you really think that a coach would not put his best 12 girls on the field? Even if the 7th or 8th graders were on varsity, they would play based on their ability to get the job done. To play a less skilled girl would be ludicrous. Now having an 8th grader and 10th grader all other things being equal, I may lean towards playing the younger player as I could get more years and development out of her. Let's face it if an 8th grader is as good as a 10th or 11th grader now at this point the upside to this player is greater. Many times an 8th grade travel girls with triple or more game (including big games in finals of tourns) that a non-travel but solid mutli-sport upperclassman. But there is much to be said for emotional maturity of a player as well. So many variables, and many ways to look at it. Depends on the coaches philosophy.

Yes, I do think there are coaches who do not play the best 12 kids. It happens in our district all the time. It creates a negative divisive environment for the team and a toxic sideline for the parents. For me to speak as to why this happens would be pure speculation but it has been happening for a long time. As a result the team consistently under achieves every year. Very unfortunate situation, all of the girls deserve better.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: MKVELE] #154349
03/10/16 02:51 PM
03/10/16 02:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That would fix many a problem if Huntington were to adopt that rule. The social impact of girls playing up by such a large margin is monumental.

Sponsored Links
Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154351
03/10/16 03:14 PM
03/10/16 03:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

DO you really think that a coach would not put his best 12 girls on the field? Even if the 7th or 8th graders were on varsity, they would play based on their ability to get the job done. To play a less skilled girl would be ludicrous. Now having an 8th grader and 10th grader all other things being equal, I may lean towards playing the younger player as I could get more years and development out of her. Let's face it if an 8th grader is as good as a 10th or 11th grader now at this point the upside to this player is greater. Many times an 8th grade travel girls with triple or more game (including big games in finals of tourns) that a non-travel but solid mutli-sport upperclassman. But there is much to be said for emotional maturity of a player as well. So many variables, and many ways to look at it. Depends on the coaches philosophy.

Yes, I do think there are coaches who do not play the best 12 kids. It happens in our district all the time. It creates a negative divisive environment for the team and a toxic sideline for the parents. For me to speak as to why this happens would be pure speculation but it has been happening for a long time. As a result the team consistently under achieves every year. Very unfortunate situation, all of the girls deserve better.

Coaches play their best athletes....only the parents who think their daughter is better but sitting on the bench think otherwise.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154353
03/10/16 03:26 PM
03/10/16 03:26 PM
M
MKVELE Offline
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
M

Coaches play their best athletes....only the parents who think their daughter is better but sitting on the bench think otherwise.
thats not true at all, last year, as documented on this site, a school played an uncommitted (later a D3) junior girl over a D1 senior.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154354
03/10/16 03:27 PM
03/10/16 03:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this makes no sense to me and while I think parents think this sometimes, it is not logical. Why would a coach not play the kids that could help them win? If they win over time, they keep their job. The thought of playing players who are not the best in the coaches mind (we may not agree with him/her) does not pass the logic test.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154357
03/10/16 03:31 PM
03/10/16 03:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HS Coaches do not always play their best players. A HS team that makes no changes in the lineup, ever, from game 1 to the last game is doing so either to make it easy/simple for the coaches for due to the usual HS athletics baloney that goes on in many districts. Not every player will perform at their top level every day in every game. Each game brings a different opponent which likely would warrant tweaking in the players on the field. If this never happens, it's not because a kid or two or three on bench are not as good as a few of the starters who were named on day 1.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: MKVELE] #154363
03/10/16 04:02 PM
03/10/16 04:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by MKVELE

thats not true at all, last year, as documented on this site, a school played an uncommitted (later a D3) junior girl over a D1 senior.

"As documented on this site" - yeah, because BOTC is the internet equivalent of 60 Minutes.

Sponsored Links
Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154364
03/10/16 04:05 PM
03/10/16 04:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this makes no sense to me and while I think parents think this sometimes, it is not logical. Why would a coach not play the kids that could help them win? If they win over time, they keep their job. The thought of playing players who are not the best in the coaches mind (we may not agree with him/her) does not pass the logic test.

Don't kid yourself about the importance of winning at the HS coaching level. A tenured teacher coaching at their own school is very hard to get rid of due to teacher contracts. In fact, that's how lots of them get their coaching jobs in the first place - there is definitely a pecking order and teachers are at the very top.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: MKVELE] #154365
03/10/16 04:08 PM
03/10/16 04:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is there something wrong with you ? What you said proves nothing , maybe the D3 commit is better or was a better fit, or was a team player, or hustled more, or was a lefty, or the coach just thought was better. Not even sure of what your point is but if you believe that a D1 commit is automatically better than a D3 commit then your previous posts about Spallina make more sense to me.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154366
03/10/16 04:16 PM
03/10/16 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"As documented on this site" - yeah, because BOTC is the internet equivalent of 60 Minutes.
[/quote]

Funny

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: TommyM] #154379
03/10/16 05:21 PM
03/10/16 05:21 PM
G
Georgie Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Georgie  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
G

I would like to ask the parents of the 7th & 8th graders that feel their daughters
Should be on varsity playing over 11th & 12th graders , how they would feel if in 3 or 4 years from now a 7th or 8th grader took their spot because they were equal in talent & the coach was looking towards the future.

Re: High School Lax Girls [Re: Anonymous] #154382
03/10/16 05:28 PM
03/10/16 05:28 PM
M
MKVELE Offline
Back of THE CAGE
MKVELE  Offline
Back of THE CAGE
M

Is there something wrong with you ? What you said proves nothing , maybe the D3 commit is better or was a better fit, or was a team player, or hustled more, or was a lefty, or the coach just thought was better. Not even sure of what your point is but if you believe that a D1 commit is automatically better than a D3 commit then your previous posts about Spallina make more sense to me.
thanks ......i think

Page 9 of 121 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 120 121