BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,586
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 45 46
Re: High School Lax Girls
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Why are parents "lobbying" for their daughters? Let them tryout/play without your phone calls, emails and texts. You are not the coach and shouldn't be in their ear anyway. Everyone knows the moms and dads who do this over and over.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
If I may give an opinion, this whole discussion could end if NY State would go to the 4 year varsity rule. Personally, No 7th or 8th grader should play varsity. Say what you want about the best players, but if the district puts in a coach that, in this day and age, only wants to coach during season, and not invest the time in the youth organization, than they should only play with the available players from high school. The only exception should be if not enough girls tryout (20). If you look at the most successful programs all have very good youth programs.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Ridiculous that Huntington has 7th and 8 th graders trying out for varsity and jv.... Are they that desperate for talent?

Is it true Riverhead brought a whole group of 8th graders up to varsity?? I heard not just one kid but like 5-6 kids??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DO you really think that a coach would not put his best 12 girls on the field? Even if the 7th or 8th graders were on varsity, they would play based on their ability to get the job done. To play a less skilled girl would be ludicrous. Now having an 8th grader and 10th grader all other things being equal, I may lean towards playing the younger player as I could get more years and development out of her. Let's face it if an 8th grader is as good as a 10th or 11th grader now at this point the upside to this player is greater. Many times an 8th grade travel girls with triple or more game (including big games in finals of tourns) that a non-travel but solid mutli-sport upperclassman. But there is much to be said for emotional maturity of a player as well. So many variables, and many ways to look at it. Depends on the coaches philosophy.

Yes, I do think there are coaches who do not play the best 12 kids. It happens in our district all the time. It creates a negative divisive environment for the team and a toxic sideline for the parents. For me to speak as to why this happens would be pure speculation but it has been happening for a long time. As a result the team consistently under achieves every year. Very unfortunate situation, all of the girls deserve better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That would fix many a problem if Huntington were to adopt that rule. The social impact of girls playing up by such a large margin is monumental.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
DO you really think that a coach would not put his best 12 girls on the field? Even if the 7th or 8th graders were on varsity, they would play based on their ability to get the job done. To play a less skilled girl would be ludicrous. Now having an 8th grader and 10th grader all other things being equal, I may lean towards playing the younger player as I could get more years and development out of her. Let's face it if an 8th grader is as good as a 10th or 11th grader now at this point the upside to this player is greater. Many times an 8th grade travel girls with triple or more game (including big games in finals of tourns) that a non-travel but solid mutli-sport upperclassman. But there is much to be said for emotional maturity of a player as well. So many variables, and many ways to look at it. Depends on the coaches philosophy.

Yes, I do think there are coaches who do not play the best 12 kids. It happens in our district all the time. It creates a negative divisive environment for the team and a toxic sideline for the parents. For me to speak as to why this happens would be pure speculation but it has been happening for a long time. As a result the team consistently under achieves every year. Very unfortunate situation, all of the girls deserve better.

Coaches play their best athletes....only the parents who think their daughter is better but sitting on the bench think otherwise.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Coaches play their best athletes....only the parents who think their daughter is better but sitting on the bench think otherwise.
thats not true at all, last year, as documented on this site, a school played an uncommitted (later a D3) junior girl over a D1 senior.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this makes no sense to me and while I think parents think this sometimes, it is not logical. Why would a coach not play the kids that could help them win? If they win over time, they keep their job. The thought of playing players who are not the best in the coaches mind (we may not agree with him/her) does not pass the logic test.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HS Coaches do not always play their best players. A HS team that makes no changes in the lineup, ever, from game 1 to the last game is doing so either to make it easy/simple for the coaches for due to the usual HS athletics baloney that goes on in many districts. Not every player will perform at their top level every day in every game. Each game brings a different opponent which likely would warrant tweaking in the players on the field. If this never happens, it's not because a kid or two or three on bench are not as good as a few of the starters who were named on day 1.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by MKVELE

thats not true at all, last year, as documented on this site, a school played an uncommitted (later a D3) junior girl over a D1 senior.

"As documented on this site" - yeah, because BOTC is the internet equivalent of 60 Minutes.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

this makes no sense to me and while I think parents think this sometimes, it is not logical. Why would a coach not play the kids that could help them win? If they win over time, they keep their job. The thought of playing players who are not the best in the coaches mind (we may not agree with him/her) does not pass the logic test.

Don't kid yourself about the importance of winning at the HS coaching level. A tenured teacher coaching at their own school is very hard to get rid of due to teacher contracts. In fact, that's how lots of them get their coaching jobs in the first place - there is definitely a pecking order and teachers are at the very top.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is there something wrong with you ? What you said proves nothing , maybe the D3 commit is better or was a better fit, or was a team player, or hustled more, or was a lefty, or the coach just thought was better. Not even sure of what your point is but if you believe that a D1 commit is automatically better than a D3 commit then your previous posts about Spallina make more sense to me.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"As documented on this site" - yeah, because BOTC is the internet equivalent of 60 Minutes.
[/quote]

Funny

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
I would like to ask the parents of the 7th & 8th graders that feel their daughters
Should be on varsity playing over 11th & 12th graders , how they would feel if in 3 or 4 years from now a 7th or 8th grader took their spot because they were equal in talent & the coach was looking towards the future.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Is there something wrong with you ? What you said proves nothing , maybe the D3 commit is better or was a better fit, or was a team player, or hustled more, or was a lefty, or the coach just thought was better. Not even sure of what your point is but if you believe that a D1 commit is automatically better than a D3 commit then your previous posts about Spallina make more sense to me.
thanks ......i think

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't kid yourself about the importance of winning at the HS coaching level. A tenured teacher coaching at their own school is very hard to get rid of due to teacher contracts. In fact, that's how lots of them get their coaching jobs in the first place - there is definitely a pecking order and teachers are at the very top.
Sure, they would rather lose than win? Makes no sense.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Mr. or Mrs Anonymous,
I wasn't going through the whole shabang again concerning last year, go read it yourself, But if you don't think good players are not played by H.S coaches your kidding your self. Be it club alliance, parents, nepotism , or bad coaching it happens all the time

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
From what I understand, MP has also 'promoted' 2 8th graders and 1 7th grader to varsity; that's the same amount of 10 graders (2) and 9th graders (1) also on varsity. My understanding is that if these girls are promoted to varsity, they have to get playing time.
With the core of solid 12 and 11th graders who will play, that is going to leave a bunch of angry 11th and 12th grade parents whose girls aren't playing.
MP fired their coach last year because of incompetence and they bring in a quality coach who beings up a 7th and 2 9th graders; this sounds like a train wreck to me. The funny thing is the 7th graders father is cray cray and now he has a 7th grader on varsity and an 11th grader playing jv...let the fun begin.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Georgie
I would like to ask the parents of the 7th & 8th graders that feel their daughters
Should be on varsity playing over 11th & 12th graders , how they would feel if in 3 or 4 years from now a 7th or 8th grader took their spot because they were equal in talent & the coach was looking towards the future.

Its about WINNING! Its varsity! If a younger girl is better than a lump thats been carried along on a no cut team then the coach is doing his/her job!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are wrong! It's not only about winning, but that attitude is what has ruined the sport and a whole lot of friendships along the way. The blinders and desperation to have your child play varsity or have a certain amount of playing time is the whole other dimension to the story.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]From what I understand, MP has also 'promoted' 2 8th graders and 1 7th grader to varsity; that's the same amount of 10 graders (2) and 9th graders (1) also on varsity. My understanding is that if these girls are promoted to varsity, they have to get playing time.
With the core of solid 12 and 11th graders who will play, that is going to leave a bunch of angry 11th and 12th grade parents whose girls aren't playing.
MP fired their coach last year because of incompetence and they bring in a quality coach who beings up a 7th and 2 9th graders; this sounds like a train wreck to me. The funny thing is the 7th graders father is cray cray and now he has a 7th grader on varsity and an 11th grader playing jv...let the fun begin. [/quote

Quality coach, good luck w that . How many programs have gotten rid of the new coach in the past several years .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ridiculous that Huntington has 7th and 8 th graders trying out for varsity and jv.... Are they that desperate for talent?

Is it true Riverhead brought a whole group of 8th graders up to varsity?? I heard not just one kid but like 5-6 kids??

Its riverhead! its a [lacrosse] show run by the parents, their next win over a quality opppnent will be their first

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its riverhead! its a [lacrosse] show run by the parents, their next win over a quality opppnent will be their first

Its ridiculous that those kids were moved up. They are good 8th graders but none are the exceptional player, all are on the smaller side, and were moved up as a group because the parents are such a horror that if they moved up 1 or 2 the other parents would have gone ballistic. That program will end up a horrible mess as multiple kids who are actually high school age will end up quitting the team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bringing up the couple of 7th and 8th grade club players is hurting many programs. Girls in 9th, 10th, 11th that are serviceable players are quitting because some underclassman are jumping up in the batting order. So on lots of these teams you have a handful of really good club girls, the middle girls have quit after getting squeezed and the girls filling out the roster were recruited in gym class. The only one benefitting is the 7th and 8th graders padding their athletic resume but the program suffers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year the Huntington BOE decided that no 7th graders can be on the high school teams. Just saying.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last year the Huntington BOE decided that no 7th graders can be on the high school teams. Just saying.

That may be the case but it doesn't say anything about the 8th graders being moved up!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bringing up the couple of 7th and 8th grade club players is hurting many programs. Girls in 9th, 10th, 11th that are serviceable players are quitting because some underclassman are jumping up in the batting order. So on lots of these teams you have a handful of really good club girls, the middle girls have quit after getting squeezed and the girls filling out the roster were recruited in gym class. The only one benefitting is the 7th and 8th graders padding their athletic resume but the program suffers.
Move to NJ, can't play H.S> lacrosse unless you are in the 9th grade. Avoids all of these issues.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am curious has past history of towns bringing up 7 & 8 graders to Varsity ever won anything?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's talk about the varsity coach, who will reamin nameless and has been around for a LONG time, texting girls whether or not they made varsity. That's a little ridiculous!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am curious has past history of towns bringing up 7 & 8 graders to Varsity ever won anything?

Yes , all three state championship teams from last year have a history of moving middle school players up to the varsity.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
privates don't allow MS boys/girls to play up on HS level teams...seems silly to have a Designated Hitter-like rule where one group allows(publics) and another does not (privates/Catholic)..make it uniform and be done with it...small towns I guess could benefit but larger school districts prob could do just as well without allowing MS kids to play up....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes , all three state championship teams from last year have a history of moving middle school players up to the varsity.

West Islip does not have a history of moving MS players to Varsity. In their history only one girl has been brought up to Varsity as an 8th grader and she turned out to be an All American as a Junior.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good Coaches:

- know how to earn the respect of their players.
- know how to identify talent.
- know how to develop talent.
- know how to utilize talent.
- know how to encourage.
- know how to build confidence.
- know how to lead.
- know how to teach.
- know how to create and maintain team enthusiasm.
- know how to help kids develop character.
- know how to motivate.
- know how to build comradery.
- know how to create a positive environment.
- know how to get the most of of their players.
- know how to build a team.
- know how to do the right thing.
- know how to learn from mistakes.
- know how to make adjustments.
- know how to lose.
- know how to coach.
- know how to win.

A bad coach will not know how to do any of the above.

Poor coaching and leadership are difficult things for athletes to overcome. In most cases it takes a strong leader and a good coach to win a championship even when they have talented athletes.

Success (in HS sports) should not always be measured in wins and losses. A bad coach will create division and destroy the moral of a team. They may win games and maybe even win a championship but they will never be successful.

How is your coach?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good Coaches:

- know how to encourage.
- know how to lead.
- know how to teach.
- know how to motivate.
- know how to lose.
- know how to coach.
- know how to win.

Poor coaching and leadership are difficult things for athletes to overcome. In most cases it takes a strong leader and a good coach to win a championship even when they have talented athletes.

Success (in HS sports) should not always be measured in wins and losses. A bad coach will create division and destroy the moral of a team. They may win games and maybe even win a championship but they will never be successful.

How is your coach?

You contradict yourself. In your list you say know how to win, then you go on to say a bad coach can't do any of these, then you say at the end of your post that a bad coach may even win a championship. Which is it? Just anither armchair quaterback (armchair coach in this case). I am sure you are an expert. Read some of Coach John Wooden's books then get back to us on how to be a good coach. It's much deeper than that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Successful programs develop players. They never have to bring up little kids. It appears that in most cases like this, boys OR girls sports teams, students are pulled up for reasons unrelated to their play (nepotism, father coaches team, father coaches in district, parents pay coach, parent is a board member, etc..). It's pretty silly.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

West Islip does not have a history of moving MS players to Varsity. In their history only one girl has been brought up to Varsity as an 8th grader and she turned out to be an All American as a Junior.

So what you are saying is your program has a history of moving a player from middle school to varsity but you do not want that to count. She is a very good player and deserved to be moved up so they did , end of story.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hear what your saying, but there are some very good younger players out there. I know its been stated in the past, but whats the difference between sports,music and genius students? No one should be pulled up then? The amazing young music student isn't taking the older music students spot? That conversation is probably going on in the high school music forum.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So what you are saying is your program has a history of moving a player from middle school to varsity but you do not want that to count. She is a very good player and deserved to be moved up so they did , end of story.

No, I think the poster is saying that 1 girl being pulled up over however many years does not qualify as "having a history" of doing so. She was the exception, and apparently deservedly so.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like a bad lowlife daddy coach from our town.. complete Poison!! Although he smiles to everyones face like everyone counts . His inside agenda is to split up and seperate his goons from the rest of the community who doesnt participate because he feels his creation is superior.

quote=Anonymous]

Good Coaches:

- know how to encourage.
- know how to lead.
- know how to teach.
- know how to motivate.
- know how to lose.
- know how to coach.
- know how to win.

How is your coach?
[/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, I think the poster is saying that 1 girl being pulled up over however many years does not qualify as "having a history" of doing so. She was the exception, and apparently deservedly so.

Are you dense ? I don't care if they have done it 1 or 5 times they have "an established record " of moving a kid up which gives them a history of doing so. Deservedly so because she became an all American is more an opinion than factual. Knowing the kid she absolutely deserved to be pulled up , knowing the way the all American selection process works tells me that moniker means very little (very political) .The fact remains that any public school that can claim to be defending state champs in girls lacrosse this season have a history of pulling up middle school kids to play varsity lacrosse.

Page 4 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard