Sage,

I think you know I've been a proponent of this type league being established here on LI. It would he great for all the organizations/kids to play weekly against tip competition. The team my son is on traveled last year all over against "top competion" only to find that it is right here on LI for his age group. As for the other poster saying it would cut into other sports or town teams, I disagree. This league can be set up to make sure the games are played on opposite days of the PAL leagues. If you happen to live in a town that doesn't have a rich tradition of lacrosse, and you are looking to play against the better kids this is the type of league that needs to be established. The town/friends thing is a little bit overrated. Once your son/daughter goes to college do you expect them to come home and be with their school buddies? Our experience in being a part of a travel team has allowed my son to gain the ability to make friends just about anywhere he goes. A trait I feel will serve him well once he is out in the "real world". I don't want my son "sheltered" to only his town. It doesn't have to be a year round thing; however, most of the better players do find themselves playing year-round. It's just a matter of whether or not both player and parent are committed to make the time for lacrosse and the other sports. I do understand this is not for everyone, which is why the NPYLL has approximately eight teams per division. The lacrosse clubs should find a way to get this done... It will only help all the boys.