How have the turnouts been for this age group ? How about True Blue, Express, 91,TLI ,etc ? My kid will just play 3 tournaments with his HS school summer team and do a showcase camp and some prospect days. I think at this point looking at D2-D3 schools the prospect days are a better option than another club team. Any thoughts ?
If your son is interested in D3 schools, this is the way to go. My son really enjoyed his last two summers playing lacrosse on a team to have fun. The prospect days were the most beneficial, but make sure he contacts the coach to let him know his interest. A lot of D3 coaches wanted to know the GPA and Test scores right up front. The money was much better spent on prospect days and showcases than another year of club tuition, especially this year with substantially higher club fees. You should know that many D3 schools might wait to see his full Junior year grades before offering him a spot on the team. They just want to make sure he has the grades to get accepted AND get some merit money so he will be admitted and financially able to attend. Good luck to your son.
Keep in mind, the D3 Coaches have a tremendous amount of leverage with admissions. The key is to get them interested in the athletic side sooner rather than later. The D3 coaches also have leverage on the merit side as well. My older son went into a holding pattern, waiting for his first choice's overnight. In the mean time his number two magically found another scholarship that brought his merit money well over 50%. His number one then came in with a decent offer. His application was submitted to both admissions and the coach. He had a verbal acceptance from the coach in two days after submission of the application. Within am week we had a written offer on his merit money from the AD. Then a day or two later an acceptance packet showed up at his door. In October of his Senior year. Point of the story is, you need to make sure the Coach is fully supporting the application. If not, your son is not a recruit. He is essentially applying like every other student. The coach will have him on the team if accepted to the school. Don't confuse the two.
Thanks for this information. So in order to get the merit money offer, your son had to officially apply to these schools, correct? I am just trying to clarify that the coach cannot offer money until admissions sees the application. Coach is supporting application and wants early action - are we doing this right?
You say that your son sent applications to two schools, his first and second choices, I am assuming neither of these schools were binding applications for early decision. Thanks again.