Originally Posted by Anonymous
How many 2028s are the top high schools realistically looking to bring in next year as 9th graders?

I know coaches have their short lists of kids they covet that they turn into the admissions folks but just wondering how many 28s realistically will end up on each A conference schools roster.

A lot, but not all of them by any means.

1. Unless your son is an elite-level playmaker who his club director (who the HS coach might call) knows by name/sight, there's no realistic lax-specific path.

2. This means surviving the admissions path, and for 9th grade the acceptance rate at these schools is anywhere from 10% to 40%. Many 2028s got a rude awakening last spring when their "sure fire" acceptance to MIAA was denied for 8th grade. Bottom line, if he's getting a 3.1 at public school, McDonogh has no faith he'll keep a 3.1 at prep school AND play high level sports at the same time. Of course if he has a 2.4 and has a 110mph shot, that's different. And if he's a very average lax player with a 4.0 and the president of his MS class, that's different too. And if dad is an alumnus donor, that's different as well.

3. I detest to be the bearer of bad news, but for the MIAA-A schools that have middle school programs, their enrollment is already stocked with 20-30 "serviceable" lacrosse players from 2028 AA to Elite. Aka an insurance policy if the 30 lax kids accepted to 9th grade don't fully pan out. So, walking around with a big sign that "MY SON PLAYS LACROSSE REAL GOOD" won't get you very far.

4. As John Carroll Dad loves to moan about, a legit reason to not go MIAA-A could be that your son wants to PLAY BALL more than he wants to be part of a top-25 national school team and the #5 varsity FOGO on the team in 11th grade. That's a serious consideration too.