There are so many advantages to prep schools. My son was at a state championship public school last year and moved to a prep school this year back East.
The connections our coach has is unbelievable, he calls on my sons behalf to college coaches all the time. Our public school coach, while an amazing man and coach, just doesn’t have these types of connections. In public school lacrosse, you may play against 1 or 2 D1 players in a game. At prep school, you play against a roster full of D1 commits (or soon to be commits). The type of lacrosse you play will be leaps and bounds above a public school and your player will reap the benefits of playing the best. My son also has a gym, trainer and a lighted lax field outside his dorm window, where he practices and lifts with like minded kids all aiming to play in college. The access to get to the top of their game is there everyday.
For academics, he is now in a class with 10 kids vs 40. His teachers are happy to be there, come from all walks of life and are willing to help him whenever he needs it. The academic support is the major difference.
It’s no secret why coaches like prep kids, the level they play at, the academic rigor they have experienced and the fact that they have been living independently away from their parents makes them good college prospects. That’s why you see the commit lists very heavily lopsided with prep kids. Prep school is not a golden ticket, the player has to put in the work on and off the field, but it’s a definitely an easier road to college lax than it is at a public school.