BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,505
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 77 of 144 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 143 144
Re: Long Island Express Lacrosse
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Lord of the Flies" field was the 2018's. Guess they cared more about the 2019's to have 8 evaluators on that field and 2 on the 2018's.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who were the evaluators for the 2018's?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2nd night of tryouts for 2024 2025. Maybe 40 kids and 1 coach. Wow

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son is trying out for the express, if he makes it this will be his fourth year on the express and playing for MC and JL... we are happy -

That's great! The real question is if he doesn't make the MC and JL team will he stay?

Yes

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I heard the tryout scrimmage today had all Honey Badgers ball hogging and passing to each other. Wow, $100 fee for that???

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Little guys don't need any stinking coaches! Just roll the balls out and see who survives. The Express way across the board.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it true that the honey badgers have mostly red shirts playing grade appropriate? I know the city kids are all a year older . Are the rest ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The City kids are not all a year older.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Lord of the Flies" field was the 2018's. Guess they cared more about the 2019's to have 8 evaluators on that field and 2 on the 2018's.

Why would you continue to deal with that??? If your a good player, go to second tryout for Outlaws. They look like they are going to have a very strong 2018 team this year. Top kids at first tryout were very strong players.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Actually they are all early and mid 2004s. Check your info

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know when decisions will be made after tonight's tryout? Will we hear something by email? Phone? The communication could have been a little better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Little guys don't need any stinking coaches! Just roll the balls out and see who survives. The Express way across the board.

So pathetic. The first 20 minutes the coach was teaching them how to throw/catch. This team was terrible last year bc of no coaching. They will be even further behind this year. Was told one team of 2024/2025.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone know when decisions will be made after tonight's tryout? Will we hear something by email? Phone? The communication could have been a little better.

MC was clear with the 2022 group. Told all the parents that they would get an email. The earliest would be Friday. . Latest would be Tuesday.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

MC was clear with the 2022 group. Told all the parents that they would get an email. The earliest would be Friday. . Latest would be Tuesday.

Yup. I heard the same.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yup. I heard the same.

No insult but if you don't know yet your son didn't make the A team. That team was decided well before yesterday's scrimmage. The scrimmage was not a tryout, the evaluators weren't even paying attention. There was no evaluations going on. Good run though.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The 2021 tryout had a lot of great talent show , there is now a great opportunity for both teams to have additions to make rock solid rosters . Hope express chooses wisely as both teams were short of a few each to dominate the majority of the rival clubs. The two current express goalies from last nights scrimmage were really good.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What age group are you talking about?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No standouts at the 2020 scrimmage.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2021 had a lot of standouts. now the waiting game

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with Post above - don't hold your breathe, if you weren't invited down or heard already welcome to B team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The level of skill for 2023 was really high. Those coaches are going to have tough decisions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2021 Wolverines and Cudas will both be stronger this year with a few new players , both rosters have some really good talent for starters and replacing a few with better talent is going to be the challenge to get the right athlete to mend in with this age group.

The level of skill for 2023 was really high. Those coaches are going to have tough decisions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Easily could have two top level teams at the 2023 level with the amount of quality players at tryouts this week.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMG, you have to check out the Angry Mom Lacrosse twitter page, she just calls everyone out! Its extremely funny, she even mentioned this site in a cute way! I don't think she like Long Islanders tho, haha.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your linemates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So true...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
when do the announcements come out for who made 2023

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OMG, you have to check out the Angry Mom Lacrosse twitter page, she just calls everyone out! Its extremely funny, she even mentioned this site in a cute way! I don't think she like Long Islanders tho, haha.

What is angry mom lacrosse twitter address?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your line mates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

With two sons in HS I've sat through more tryouts than I care to remember (or admit to having paid for). As an observer I've found there are always certain kids that catch your eye. I started telling my sons that you can't just go through tryouts hoping the coach will notice you. You have to put yourself in the best situation to be noticed by the coaches. I know it's not always possible but there are some simple things you can do to help. (these seem very obvious but more often than not I've seen the majority of players ignore them and gravitate to the middle of the pack and anonymity ).

1. Be first. When the coach calls you in, when the coach runs a drill, when you come back from a water break, be first. The coaches will never see you in the back of the pack.

2. Talk. Always be talking (loudly). Call for the ball, talk on D, etc. Never go though a drill without talking. The goalie should not be the only one the coaches hear. I can't tell you how many times I found myself watch a group other than my sons because someone caught my ear.

3. Never stand still during a drill. Always be moving, especially when you don't have the ball. Look to clear out, set picks, etc. Once you stand still the coach will stop watching you.

4. Full speed. Never go 3/4 speed through a drill. Full speed, move and protect your stick as if it were a game. A player going full speed through a drill will stand out immediately against a group going 3/4

5. Watch your match ups. If you've been running the 3-2 drill with the same two players who never seem to pass or always drop your passes, switch your group up. A simple tying of your shoelace will mix up the order of the lines in the drill and match you up with a new group. The coaches can't evaluate you if you are not touching the ball.

6. Don't hesitate. Right or wrong, always play like you know what you are doing. If you shoot, shoot like you mean it. If you look to pass, pass like you men it. If you cut, cut like you mean it. Mr. Miyagi: "...Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape." Don't hesitate

7. Walk like you own the place. Body language says a lot. When I see a player walking with his read up, walking with confidence, watching the drills closely, I immediately get a mental picture of a player who can take charge or be a leader. When I see a player walking with his head down, looking at the ground, talking to his friends, etc, I get the impression of a player who may not be sure of himself or doesn't really want to be here. These coaches don't know what type of player/person you are. Their impression of you is based on a lot more than your off stick skill.

These tips CAN help a coach notice you. What he see's when he starts looking is up to you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

@yourareanidiotifyoucantfigureitout

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

@angrylaxmom :"Last Fall, Shane teammate yelled @ him, "heres your help," I SCREAMED, "my baby needs no HELP!" I luv that he never passes ball! #FullRideD1"

No way its real! There is a whole bunch like this on there. good stuff lol

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Easily could have two top level teams at the 2023 level with the amount of quality players at tryouts this week.

The key is keeping the top 44 and those who had aspired to be on A realize the 2023 B team will probably be the 3rd best. Behind the Badgers and 91.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Or you can hold a 2018 kid back and bring him to the 2019 tryout. They've been doing this "reclassifying" in the Maryland private school system and now it's being done up here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does Express cost all in? Fall, Winter, Spring & Summer. 4th/5th grade.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't know for this year. But last year the base was $2600, but you could opt out of the fall and save $800.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your line mates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

With two sons in HS I've sat through more tryouts than I care to remember (or admit to having paid for). As an observer I've found there are always certain kids that catch your eye. I started telling my sons that you can't just go through tryouts hoping the coach will notice you. You have to put yourself in the best situation to be noticed by the coaches. I know it's not always possible but there are some simple things you can do to help. (these seem very obvious but more often than not I've seen the majority of players ignore them and gravitate to the middle of the pack and anonymity ).

1. Be first. When the coach calls you in, when the coach runs a drill, when you come back from a water break, be first. The coaches will never see you in the back of the pack.

2. Talk. Always be talking (loudly). Call for the ball, talk on D, etc. Never go though a drill without talking. The goalie should not be the only one the coaches hear. I can't tell you how many times I found myself watch a group other than my sons because someone caught my ear.

3. Never stand still during a drill. Always be moving, especially when you don't have the ball. Look to clear out, set picks, etc. Once you stand still the coach will stop watching you.

4. Full speed. Never go 3/4 speed through a drill. Full speed, move and protect your stick as if it were a game. A player going full speed through a drill will stand out immediately against a group going 3/4

5. Watch your match ups. If you've been running the 3-2 drill with the same two players who never seem to pass or always drop your passes, switch your group up. A simple tying of your shoelace will mix up the order of the lines in the drill and match you up with a new group. The coaches can't evaluate you if you are not touching the ball.

6. Don't hesitate. Right or wrong, always play like you know what you are doing. If you shoot, shoot like you mean it. If you look to pass, pass like you men it. If you cut, cut like you mean it. Mr. Miyagi: "...Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape." Don't hesitate

7. Walk like you own the place. Body language says a lot. When I see a player walking with his read up, walking with confidence, watching the drills closely, I immediately get a mental picture of a player who can take charge or be a leader. When I see a player walking with his head down, looking at the ground, talking to his friends, etc, I get the impression of a player who may not be sure of himself or doesn't really want to be here. These coaches don't know what type of player/person you are. Their impression of you is based on a lot more than your off stick skill.

These tips CAN help a coach notice you. What he see's when he starts looking is up to you.

Thanks for this reply....it is probably one of the best and most pragmatic posts I have ever read on BOTC. Appreciate the advice.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You see why clubs gravitate towards keeping the kids they know because it is really tough to make these selections. Start with the fact that you have 100 kids on very quick shifts. Sometimes play is elsewhere or you cannot get anyone to throw you a pass despite being wide open. You may also get put on a midfield line with two A team players and look like a superstar, next time up your linemates cannot move the ball and you get nothing going. Tough on all the kids who put a lot of time into getting ready and then some of it (and maybe understandably so) is just out of their hands.

That is why even warm up catch/throw and any drills are just as important as any scrimmage.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
which one 2023 or 2022? they don't play combined

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't know for this year. But last year the base was $2600, but you could opt out of the fall and save $800.

If the base last year was $2600, what would you estimate your additional/optional charges were? Were there ANY additional costs?

Like Reply Quote
Page 77 of 144 1 2 75 76 77 78 79 143 144
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard