BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,680
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I wouldn't disagree with you if it weren't for the fact that the games actually count in the season-long national ratings for all teams that play a national team and the domino affect on the rest of the ratings. I'd love the idea of these "National Teams" if they didn't count and didn't count for anyone playing against them, especially if there were "off-season national teams" that allow a little bit of fun in the winter.

Because we are talking about "ethics" here, it doesn't matter if the hypothetical I'm going to give you here is 100% accurate. It just COULD happen, or could almost happen:

Urban Elite enters a California Tournament with a 90.75 rating. They find themselves facing an unranked team, "91 National." However, the star players are the girls they have faced before and will face again later in the season when they play as "91 Roar." 91 Roar is ranked at 97.76. Urban Elite ties the team. You'd figure it would have an impact on their rating of +7 points. Nope. Based on the National team being unranked, their ranking begins somewhere in the mid to high 80's. This tied game winds up dropping their ranking and rating. Fast forward to June. Top Guns faces Urban Elite. The two teams would have had similar ratings/rankings entering the competition. However, Urban Elite's rating was artificially affected by the last matchup against 91. So now the expected goal differential is significantly higher than it would have been. Now Top Guns has to blow out a team that is likely close in ability to them. Urban Elite loses by 2, which would usually have no major affect on their rankings, but they are part of this whole debacle. So now their rating has gone up by 8 points because the expected goal differential was 10 points. And guess who they are facing next? 91 Roar- who gets another crack at them with a new artificially enhanced rating.

You know that teams do not care about goal differential when they are playing? If your daughter’s team wins a game but doesn’t cover the goal differential, do you tell her she “lost”? Or if they lose to an opponent but not by the goal differential do you tell your daughter that they “won”?

FYI the 91 national team will drop out of the rankings once the summer season kicks off as they won’t meet the minimum amount of games played.

Let the girls play and stop worrying about all the metrics of rankings.

good or bad, my daughter's team's bench stays very warm until the goal differential has been maxed out. this is a reality of some high rated teams. li teams don't get a lot of shots at playing mid atlantic teams with a high rating so when they do...it counts. but this conversation doesn't seem to be about how many goals makes a girl or her team a winner or a lost it seems to be more about the entry of double rostered girls into ranked games that affect the standings---and the required goal differential to move up or down actual positions in rankings. those are very different things. not talking about feeling like winners or losers here, talking about goals required to advance.

if only the affect on the rankings that the 91 national team had will also drop out of the metrics.

So I could travel 4-5 hrs to a tourney, and we could be winning by 7 goals and my kid doesn't get in because we need to win by 9 for rankings sake?
Thats really sad. Idk why parents would put up with that and stay on the team, especially at this age where player development is so important and rankings mean nothing (except to few parets or coaches like yourself)

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I wouldn't disagree with you if it weren't for the fact that the games actually count in the season-long national ratings for all teams that play a national team and the domino affect on the rest of the ratings. I'd love the idea of these "National Teams" if they didn't count and didn't count for anyone playing against them, especially if there were "off-season national teams" that allow a little bit of fun in the winter.

Because we are talking about "ethics" here, it doesn't matter if the hypothetical I'm going to give you here is 100% accurate. It just COULD happen, or could almost happen:

Urban Elite enters a California Tournament with a 90.75 rating. They find themselves facing an unranked team, "91 National." However, the star players are the girls they have faced before and will face again later in the season when they play as "91 Roar." 91 Roar is ranked at 97.76. Urban Elite ties the team. You'd figure it would have an impact on their rating of +7 points. Nope. Based on the National team being unranked, their ranking begins somewhere in the mid to high 80's. This tied game winds up dropping their ranking and rating. Fast forward to June. Top Guns faces Urban Elite. The two teams would have had similar ratings/rankings entering the competition. However, Urban Elite's rating was artificially affected by the last matchup against 91. So now the expected goal differential is significantly higher than it would have been. Now Top Guns has to blow out a team that is likely close in ability to them. Urban Elite loses by 2, which would usually have no major affect on their rankings, but they are part of this whole debacle. So now their rating has gone up by 8 points because the expected goal differential was 10 points. And guess who they are facing next? 91 Roar- who gets another crack at them with a new artificially enhanced rating.

You know that teams do not care about goal differential when they are playing? If your daughter’s team wins a game but doesn’t cover the goal differential, do you tell her she “lost”? Or if they lose to an opponent but not by the goal differential do you tell your daughter that they “won”?

FYI the 91 national team will drop out of the rankings once the summer season kicks off as they won’t meet the minimum amount of games played.

Let the girls play and stop worrying about all the metrics of rankings.

good or bad, my daughter's team's bench stays very warm until the goal differential has been maxed out. this is a reality of some high rated teams. li teams don't get a lot of shots at playing mid atlantic teams with a high rating so when they do...it counts. but this conversation doesn't seem to be about how many goals makes a girl or her team a winner or a lost it seems to be more about the entry of double rostered girls into ranked games that affect the standings---and the required goal differential to move up or down actual positions in rankings. those are very different things. not talking about feeling like winners or losers here, talking about goals required to advance.

if only the affect on the rankings that the 91 national team had will also drop out of the metrics.

So I could travel 4-5 hrs to a tourney, and we could be winning by 7 goals and my kid doesn't get in because we need to win by 9 for rankings sake?
Thats really sad. Idk why parents would put up with that and stay on the team, especially at this age where player development is so important and rankings mean nothing (except to few parets or coaches like yourself)

If your kid’s team is up by 7 and your kid hasn’t left the bench, it’s not because of the rankings.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Excelsior games. Yes or no?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Excelsior games. Yes or no?

No

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
American select. yes or no

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First kid playing lax and had the same questions about excelsior games and American select. Seems like money grab since the girls are not close to their recruiting years. However parents on my daughters team are talking about if you don’t get on the teams now then you will be shut out of 3-4 years where it is important to be seen.

I’m conflicted on what to do because of money, time, etc.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your kid wants to just have fun, Excelsior games is a good experience but it's not very competitive. Nassau and Suffolk are easily the strongest teams. American Select is a competitive tournament and brings in talent from all over the country. It all depends on what type of experience you want for your kid.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
First kid playing lax and had the same questions about excelsior games and American select. Seems like money grab since the girls are not close to their recruiting years. However parents on my daughters team are talking about if you don’t get on the teams now then you will be shut out of 3-4 years where it is important to be seen.

I’m conflicted on what to do because of money, time, etc.

I do not think it's true that if you don't start American Select you will be shut out. Every year the 2029 team has different coaches and, theoretically, different evaluators. Not to mention, if your kid plays on a team where they are already seen, it's really not a necessity in 3-4 years anyway. Top reasons people do American Select at this age are #1 FOMO and #2 you think the experience will be worth the money and the travel. As many other people will say, at this age your kid would probably be better served if you saved the money and put it towards training.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everything up until 10th grade is a money grab. But….if your kid wants to play more, or get some experience with tryouts and showcases. Then there is some benefit. Just because you make a team as a 7th grader. Doesn’t mean they’ll make it as a sophomore.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New to lax so the best years for recruiting is 9/10 grade. American select sounds like a grand or so, sure it’s a good experience but might use that money elsewhere.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alot of money grabs out there best advise for my kid to get better. Private lessons, lax camp etc.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Alot of money grabs out there best advise for my kid to get better. Private lessons, lax camp etc.

Private lessons and small group trainings with other players at her level or slightly better. Practice.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
First kid playing lax and had the same questions about excelsior games and American select. Seems like money grab since the girls are not close to their recruiting years. However parents on my daughters team are talking about if you don’t get on the teams now then you will be shut out of 3-4 years where it is important to be seen.

I’m conflicted on what to do because of money, time, etc.

The parents of your daughter’s team are more in tune with things than the other commenters here will let on. Participating in these camps/showcases/clinics/events now definitely fastracks your kid for future endeavors and gets her recognition sooner than later. For example: if you played in Players Open this year, you save the application fee and process next year. And your name is already on file with the Wink endeavors associated with LILJ, Excelsior, etc.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When did Wink become God of Long Island Lacrosse? And someone should take his crown because he is more worried about pleasing family members and lining his pockets.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Best in class. Yes or no?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When did Wink become God of Long Island Lacrosse? And someone should take his crown because he is more worried about pleasing family members and lining his pockets.

Despite a somewhat torrid history in this sport, he is recently putting on a pretty good show of offerings for girls lacrosse. His LILJ is doing a great job at publicizing the sport and giving recognition to LI girls, his showcases do a (comparatively) good job at providing high quality competition and multi-faceted events, his programs for older girls are top notch and they cross his endeavors over into school ball. You're welcome to grab his "crown" and establish your own kingdom, but you've got a lot of work ahead of you in terms of providing the types of things he is providing for the sport. And yes, it likely comes with its monetary rewards. Some of his programs are indeed expensive.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Best in class. Yes or no?

Not a 2029 event. So no.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When did Wink become God of Long Island Lacrosse? And someone should take his crown because he is more worried about pleasing family members and lining his pockets.

Despite a somewhat torrid history in this sport, he is recently putting on a pretty good show of offerings for girls lacrosse. His LILJ is doing a great job at publicizing the sport and giving recognition to LI girls, his showcases do a (comparatively) good job at providing high quality competition and multi-faceted events, his programs for older girls are top notch and they cross his endeavors over into school ball. You're welcome to grab his "crown" and establish your own kingdom, but you've got a lot of work ahead of you in terms of providing the types of things he is providing for the sport. And yes, it likely comes with its monetary rewards. Some of his programs are indeed expensive.

He is a money-hungry braggart. If you think he is a good guy, you are mistaken. Period!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don’t think anyone said anything about him being a good guy or accused him of being a charity. He offers a service that people are willing to pay for. It’s that simple. It’s hard to understand the frustration with him if you think that his programs are hogwash. Just don’t enroll and sleep well at night knowing you weren’t part of something you view as a money grab. But I think with the vocalized frustration comes an underlying feeling that your kid is being left out of things that may have some merit. Let’s be honest.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I don’t think anyone said anything about him being a good guy or accused him of being a charity. He offers a service that people are willing to pay for. It’s that simple. It’s hard to understand the frustration with him if you think that his programs are hogwash. Just don’t enroll and sleep well at night knowing you weren’t part of something you view as a money grab. But I think with the vocalized frustration comes an underlying feeling that your kid is being left out of things that may have some merit. Let’s be honest.

Was just making a general statement about him.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You basically need to pay the piper if you want to be on lists, get Instagram posts. Or make certain teams.

However. It’s not just wink. It’s the entire system of club sports. Not just lax.

Not defending it in anyway, but I see it with other sports too. If your kid can play and get better they’ll be fine with any club, showcase or camp they attend.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Unfortunately, you have too many people like Wink in decision-making positions that can directly affect the future of your daughter. He is bad for the game of lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When did Wink become God of Long Island Lacrosse? And someone should take his crown because he is more worried about pleasing family members and lining his pockets.

True lacrosse people who have been around the sport for a long time know Wink and the LILJ are a joke. Pay to be recognized, even if you don’t deserve it!

Regarding his FLG business, it will come to an end soon enough. They have no idea how to run a competitive travel program. His Girls program will follow the same future as his boys program did.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Everything up until 10th grade is a money grab. But….if your kid wants to play more, or get some experience with tryouts and showcases. Then there is some benefit. Just because you make a team as a 7th grader. Doesn’t mean they’ll make it as a sophomore.

Totally agree. My daughter went through all of it and we got [Censored] in too early! Spent a lot of extra money! Use your money for training and getting better. Choose events that include lots of training as part of the event! Not just games.

Make it so the talent/skills are undeniable by 8th/9th grade. Then she should be “playing “ on the best 8th grade club team for her talent level possible. Start worrying about those recruiting events 9th grade on. NO one is looking at any 8th graders anymore! The 9th and 10th grade fall/summer events are the most important as far as recruiting goes.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When did Wink become God of Long Island Lacrosse? And someone should take his crown because he is more worried about pleasing family members and lining his pockets.

True lacrosse people who have been around the sport for a long time know Wink and the LILJ are a joke. Pay to be recognized, even if you don’t deserve it!

Regarding his FLG business, it will come to an end soon enough. They have no idea how to run a competitive travel program. His Girls program will follow the same future as his boys program did.

I Don’t know anything about his club. But the LILJ programs he’s running for the girls in the off seasons of travel have been wonderful for my daughter’s development! He’s offering a lot of opportunity to keep playing for the girls and I know for a fact my daughter benefitted from the extras he has created for LI lacrosse. His staff is also great. The videos we were able to get from his programs and leagues were very valuable to my daughters recruiting efforts. The quality was 1000% better than any summer club tournament video from 500’ away filming. . They have an amazing video guy. We were able to get so many good clips to help in then recruiting process for highlights.

I really do think they provide a much needed service to LI lacrosse community. The clubs have been making so much off the kids forever. They actually bring all the clubs and LI lacrosse kids together to get better together! It is a business and they make money for a very valuable service they are providing. You just have to pick and choose which event to do based on your daughter’s age and abilities.

The LILJ leagues my daughter participated in were great. Playing against the other LI girls definitely made her a better player. They really do provide a great service as far as that is concerned.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Think tradition 2029 will stay together next year?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Think tradition 2029 will stay together next year?

Look at how many of the 2025’s went D1. 2029’s should stay together.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Irrelevant here. It is not a 2029 graduation year event, so it is no alternative for what's already being offered. It also attracts no attention unless you're a 91 fanboy.

Further, please allow me to offer a bit of advice with regard to listening to those "it's just a money grab" voices you hear after EVERY event is offered. I can DEFINITIVELY say that that my daughter's acceptance into these exhibitions/camps/showcases/select teams has absolutely put her in front of the right people and has led to being recognized and considered for a key position on her school's team and for some other important things.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Irrelevant here. It is not a 2029 graduation year event, so it is no alternative for what's already being offered. It also attracts no attention unless you're a 91 fanboy.

Further, please allow me to offer a bit of advice with regard to listening to those "it's just a money grab" voices you hear after EVERY event is offered. I can DEFINITIVELY say that that my daughter's acceptance into these exhibitions/camps/showcases/select teams has absolutely put her in front of the right people and has led to being recognized and considered for a key position on her school's team and for some other important things.

You are completely out of your mind. But you are probably trying to justify the thousands of dollars you spent on these events. No college coach is looking at 2029s. None. They are working on 2025 and will start to heavily look at 2026s this summer. Signing up for the all American select team in 7th grade is a money grab. Plain and simple. If you think your high school coach is giving your kid playin time based on her selection for the 2029 all Long Island games you are out of your mind.. Most likely your daughter is getting playing time because she is a good player. Her selection to to the all Long Island games has nothing to do with it.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When does NB All American start? I don’t think for 2029s…

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NB All American starts in 8th grade. After seeing how American select was run, I look forward to seeing how this tryout goes.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Guessing your child didn’t make Black? Other than one girl, I thought tryouts had a fair outcome. Top Guns significantly underrepresented for a highly ranked team but I don’t think there were many TG girls at the tryout.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Irrelevant here. It is not a 2029 graduation year event, so it is no alternative for what's already being offered. It also attracts no attention unless you're a 91 fanboy.

Further, please allow me to offer a bit of advice with regard to listening to those "it's just a money grab" voices you hear after EVERY event is offered. I can DEFINITIVELY say that that my daughter's acceptance into these exhibitions/camps/showcases/select teams has absolutely put her in front of the right people and has led to being recognized and considered for a key position on her school's team and for some other important things.

You are completely out of your mind. But you are probably trying to justify the thousands of dollars you spent on these events. No college coach is looking at 2029s. None. They are working on 2025 and will start to heavily look at 2026s this summer. Signing up for the all American select team in 7th grade is a money grab. Plain and simple. If you think your high school coach is giving your kid playin time based on her selection for the 2029 all Long Island games you are out of your mind.. Most likely your daughter is getting playing time because she is a good player. Her selection to to the all Long Island games has nothing to do with it.

While nobody has ever made the argument that colleges are watching 7th graders, you could absolutely take a look at the sports recruits page of any D1 committed 12th grader and see that they were collecting resume bullets all the way back in 2017. These things matter. They pave the way and get your foot in the door.

Also, you can't dismiss the fact that being a return participant/applicant for one of these programs has an effect on participating again in the future for the years that do attract college attention. Being a participant now does absolutely get you preferential treatment for future endeavors, both within that program and within its affiliate networks.

Whether it's a school coach or a select team coach, sometimes already being validated by another program helps make the decision between two prospects.

No matter your position on the worthiness of these events, they certainly have more merit than sitting on the couch and playing video games as you mutter that everyone else is wasting their money. Experiences are experiences.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
quote=Anonymous]Guessing your child didn’t make Black? Other than one girl, I thought tryouts had a fair outcome. Top Guns significantly underrepresented for a highly ranked team but I don’t think there were many TG girls at the tryout.[/quote]
She did not make black but was offered Red which we politely declined. We were hoping that “The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.”
Were some girls preordained with a spot on Black and Red? Did YJ make sure to take care of their own? Could the same happen with NB AA depending on who runs it for them for LI? YES to all

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Irrelevant here. It is not a 2029 graduation year event, so it is no alternative for what's already being offered. It also attracts no attention unless you're a 91 fanboy.

Further, please allow me to offer a bit of advice with regard to listening to those "it's just a money grab" voices you hear after EVERY event is offered. I can DEFINITIVELY say that that my daughter's acceptance into these exhibitions/camps/showcases/select teams has absolutely put her in front of the right people and has led to being recognized and considered for a key position on her school's team and for some other important things.

You are completely out of your mind. But you are probably trying to justify the thousands of dollars you spent on these events. No college coach is looking at 2029s. None. They are working on 2025 and will start to heavily look at 2026s this summer. Signing up for the all American select team in 7th grade is a money grab. Plain and simple. If you think your high school coach is giving your kid playin time based on her selection for the 2029 all Long Island games you are out of your mind.. Most likely your daughter is getting playing time because she is a good player. Her selection to to the all Long Island games has nothing to do with it.

While nobody has ever made the argument that colleges are watching 7th graders, you could absolutely take a look at the sports recruits page of any D1 committed 12th grader and see that they were collecting resume bullets all the way back in 2017. These things matter. They pave the way and get your foot in the door.

Also, you can't dismiss the fact that being a return participant/applicant for one of these programs has an effect on participating again in the future for the years that do attract college attention. Being a participant now does absolutely get you preferential treatment for future endeavors, both within that program and within its affiliate networks.

Whether it's a school coach or a select team coach, sometimes already being validated by another program helps make the decision between two prospects.

No matter your position on the worthiness of these events, they certainly have more merit than sitting on the couch and playing video games as you mutter that everyone else is wasting their money. Experiences are experiences.

If you want to spend thousands on these events in 7th grade then go for it. I have no issue with what people spend their money on. My point was simple. These events at this age have no value when it comes to recruiting later on. No college coach is going to care you got selected to the All American select games in 7th grade. And your point kind of solidifies my argument. If getting selected one year gives you preferential treatment shouldn’t it just be the best players selected? My kids continually get “invites” to Apex games etc. They have never even tried out.

College coaches are paid to be at these events. And if you notice it’s always assistants at these events. It’s a side hustle for them because they don’t make any money. That’s how they market it. This is my 4th kid in travel. Based on my experience there’s way more value in spending money on propspect days as they get older. Your kid will get a much better look than a few minutes of playing time on a team with a roster of 25. And like I said…..they aren’t looking at any 7th, 8th or even 9th graders.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
quote=Anonymous]Guessing your child didn’t make Black? Other than one girl, I thought tryouts had a fair outcome. Top Guns significantly underrepresented for a highly ranked team but I don’t think there were many TG girls at the tryout.
She did not make black but was offered Red which we politely declined. We were hoping that “The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.”
Were some girls preordained with a spot on Black and Red? Did YJ make sure to take care of their own? Could the same happen with NB AA depending on who runs it for them for LI? YES to all[/quote]

American Select's black team has 24 girls on it. They are all YJ and 91 girls. YJ and 91's A teams have a total of almost 50 girls on them. These are the two top ranked teams on Long Island, both in the top six ranked teams in the nation this year. Is it not possible that the best 50% of each of the two best teams on Long Island result in the best roster on Long Island, especially when considering those who didn't even show up? College coaches validating reality isn't necessary corruption.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
quote=Anonymous]Guessing your child didn’t make Black? Other than one girl, I thought tryouts had a fair outcome. Top Guns significantly underrepresented for a highly ranked team but I don’t think there were many TG girls at the tryout.
She did not make black but was offered Red which we politely declined. We were hoping that “The tryout process will be unlike any other, with collegiate coaches evaluating and selecting players. Club coaches will not be selecting the teams.”
Were some girls preordained with a spot on Black and Red? Did YJ make sure to take care of their own? Could the same happen with NB AA depending on who runs it for them for LI? YES to all[/quote]

The problem with your argument is that the girls who were selected are indeed elite girls that participate in every elite event that you hear about. Has your daughter ever outperformed a 91 or YJ A girl somewhere?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Irrelevant here. It is not a 2029 graduation year event, so it is no alternative for what's already being offered. It also attracts no attention unless you're a 91 fanboy.

Further, please allow me to offer a bit of advice with regard to listening to those "it's just a money grab" voices you hear after EVERY event is offered. I can DEFINITIVELY say that that my daughter's acceptance into these exhibitions/camps/showcases/select teams has absolutely put her in front of the right people and has led to being recognized and considered for a key position on her school's team and for some other important things.

You are completely out of your mind. But you are probably trying to justify the thousands of dollars you spent on these events. No college coach is looking at 2029s. None. They are working on 2025 and will start to heavily look at 2026s this summer. Signing up for the all American select team in 7th grade is a money grab. Plain and simple. If you think your high school coach is giving your kid playin time based on her selection for the 2029 all Long Island games you are out of your mind.. Most likely your daughter is getting playing time because she is a good player. Her selection to to the all Long Island games has nothing to do with it.

While nobody has ever made the argument that colleges are watching 7th graders, you could absolutely take a look at the sports recruits page of any D1 committed 12th grader and see that they were collecting resume bullets all the way back in 2017. These things matter. They pave the way and get your foot in the door.

Also, you can't dismiss the fact that being a return participant/applicant for one of these programs has an effect on participating again in the future for the years that do attract college attention. Being a participant now does absolutely get you preferential treatment for future endeavors, both within that program and within its affiliate networks.

Whether it's a school coach or a select team coach, sometimes already being validated by another program helps make the decision between two prospects.

No matter your position on the worthiness of these events, they certainly have more merit than sitting on the couch and playing video games as you mutter that everyone else is wasting their money. Experiences are experiences.

If you want to spend thousands on these events in 7th grade then go for it. I have no issue with what people spend their money on. My point was simple. These events at this age have no value when it comes to recruiting later on. No college coach is going to care you got selected to the All American select games in 7th grade. And your point kind of solidifies my argument. If getting selected one year gives you preferential treatment shouldn’t it just be the best players selected? My kids continually get “invites” to Apex games etc. They have never even tried out.

College coaches are paid to be at these events. And if you notice it’s always assistants at these events. It’s a side hustle for them because they don’t make any money. That’s how they market it. This is my 4th kid in travel. Based on my experience there’s way more value in spending money on propspect days as they get older. Your kid will get a much better look than a few minutes of playing time on a team with a roster of 25. And like I said…..they aren’t looking at any 7th, 8th or even 9th graders.

It’s like anything else- if your kid is on TGA this year, she’s more likely to be on TGA again next year, partially because “they got it right” by flagging her as the best at the position, partially because she’s someone the team can already rely on as a loyal participant in the program and she’s given them no reason to look elsewhere. Same applies to all of these select teams. It’s an error in logic to assume that a girl who was reinvited isn’t also a good selection.

APEX is the bowels of girls lacrosse. You put four girls through travel and didn’t realize that? Their spam is not an invite. A true “invite” for these types of showcases involves complimentary participation and doesn’t occur frequently at this age.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls 2029-7th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
New Balance All-America games are 1/3 of the cost of American Select. These games used to be called the Under Armour All-America Games. The senior game for this event is televised live on ESPN and the best players across the country participate in it. American Select is a pure money grab unless your daughter is on the top team, which is black for LI.

Irrelevant here. It is not a 2029 graduation year event, so it is no alternative for what's already being offered. It also attracts no attention unless you're a 91 fanboy.

Further, please allow me to offer a bit of advice with regard to listening to those "it's just a money grab" voices you hear after EVERY event is offered. I can DEFINITIVELY say that that my daughter's acceptance into these exhibitions/camps/showcases/select teams has absolutely put her in front of the right people and has led to being recognized and considered for a key position on her school's team and for some other important things.

You are completely out of your mind. But you are probably trying to justify the thousands of dollars you spent on these events. No college coach is looking at 2029s. None. They are working on 2025 and will start to heavily look at 2026s this summer. Signing up for the all American select team in 7th grade is a money grab. Plain and simple. If you think your high school coach is giving your kid playin time based on her selection for the 2029 all Long Island games you are out of your mind.. Most likely your daughter is getting playing time because she is a good player. Her selection to to the all Long Island games has nothing to do with it.

While nobody has ever made the argument that colleges are watching 7th graders, you could absolutely take a look at the sports recruits page of any D1 committed 12th grader and see that they were collecting resume bullets all the way back in 2017. These things matter. They pave the way and get your foot in the door.

Also, you can't dismiss the fact that being a return participant/applicant for one of these programs has an effect on participating again in the future for the years that do attract college attention. Being a participant now does absolutely get you preferential treatment for future endeavors, both within that program and within its affiliate networks.

Whether it's a school coach or a select team coach, sometimes already being validated by another program helps make the decision between two prospects.

No matter your position on the worthiness of these events, they certainly have more merit than sitting on the couch and playing video games as you mutter that everyone else is wasting their money. Experiences are experiences.

If you want to spend thousands on these events in 7th grade then go for it. I have no issue with what people spend their money on. My point was simple. These events at this age have no value when it comes to recruiting later on. No college coach is going to care you got selected to the All American select games in 7th grade. And your point kind of solidifies my argument. If getting selected one year gives you preferential treatment shouldn’t it just be the best players selected? My kids continually get “invites” to Apex games etc. They have never even tried out.

College coaches are paid to be at these events. And if you notice it’s always assistants at these events. It’s a side hustle for them because they don’t make any money. That’s how they market it. This is my 4th kid in travel. Based on my experience there’s way more value in spending money on propspect days as they get older. Your kid will get a much better look than a few minutes of playing time on a team with a roster of 25. And like I said…..they aren’t looking at any 7th, 8th or even 9th graders.

It’s like anything else- if your kid is on TGA this year, she’s more likely to be on TGA again next year, partially because “they got it right” by flagging her as the best at the position, partially because she’s someone the team can already rely on as a loyal participant in the program and she’s given them no reason to look elsewhere. Same applies to all of these select teams. It’s an error in logic to assume that a girl who was reinvited isn’t also a good selection.

APEX is the bowels of girls lacrosse. You put four girls through travel and didn’t realize that? Their spam is not an invite. A true “invite” for these types of showcases involves complimentary participation and doesn’t occur frequently at this age.

The Apex comment was sarcasm. Obviously you aren’t very bright. Carol Rose and her friends from Steps literally own this event(and the 2 biggest lax events over the summer) They are laughing all the way to the bank. The black rosters are literally 98 percent yellow jackets. I know multiple girls who weren’t selected when with top guns, jesters etc and then switched to yellow jackets and then magically made the black team the next year. She will never put a top guns person on the black roster due to her longstanding feud with Shannon Smith. The same applies for the all Long Island games (another carol rose/flg owned event)

And again you are still deflecting. No college coach is looking at your 7th grade girl. And no college coach will care that your daughter was selected to the black team in 7th grade.

Like Reply Quote
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification



Link Copied to Clipboard












Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4