BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2030 Midatlantic
by Anonymous -
Annapolis Hawks
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,915
Members2,609
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 55 of 58 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 58
Re: Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's the age old question. Do you want to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just like everything on here this exchange is off the rails. Our daughter will choose the best school for her with academics and culture as the top priority but with the highest level of lacrosse for her ability. With two parents who played the sport at the highest level, I am more than okay with our approach. Lacrosse is not a career. It opens doors to schools and networks just like other sports. Playing for a national championship would be amazing but only a very few will have that opportunity in their 4 years. The numbers cited in one quote above show how limited the teams are that get to Final Four weekend. It's awesome to be a part of that but those teams will continue to take the top recruits and keep going back. With Clemson and USF making big strides in the portal and recruiting, you will see both of them there soon. It will be at the expense of on or two of the one and done teams.

Why can't people just be thrilled that they have a kid who can play anywhere at a school they love? And be happy for the kids who choose somewhere else?

Because most the parents on here are living vicariously through their kids. And I couldn't agree more with your post!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just like everything on here this exchange is off the rails. Our daughter will choose the best school for her with academics and culture as the top priority but with the highest level of lacrosse for her ability. With two parents who played the sport at the highest level, I am more than okay with our approach. Lacrosse is not a career. It opens doors to schools and networks just like other sports. Playing for a national championship would be amazing but only a very few will have that opportunity in their 4 years. The numbers cited in one quote above show how limited the teams are that get to Final Four weekend. It's awesome to be a part of that but those teams will continue to take the top recruits and keep going back. With Clemson and USF making big strides in the portal and recruiting, you will see both of them there soon. It will be at the expense of on or two of the one and done teams.

Why can't people just be thrilled that they have a kid who can play anywhere at a school they love? And be happy for the kids who choose somewhere else?

This. SAY IT LOUDER FOR THOSE IN THE BACK.

As someone who has gone now gone through the process 3 times after my 25's recent commitment, this is spot on.

For my 2 daughters and 1 son, lacrosse was never the #1 priority in picking a college. I think this is probably true for at least 75% of the top lax kids from the DMV. Once they realized 1) their talent in lax and 2) how hard college admissions are, all of them decided they want to use lax as a way to ensure a better education. Even if that meant going to a situation where it meant not playing very much or going to a lower level school which has no chance to win a conference, let alone, a national title.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s exhausting really.

Focus on your own child. Be happy for her friends, wherever they land, and stop caring about kids you don’t know in the least.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s exhausting really.

Focus on your own child. Be happy for her friends, wherever they land, and stop caring about kids you don’t know in the least.

So if you like the NHL you shouldn’t watch July 1 on free agent signing day, or the draft because you don’t know the kids?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s exhausting really.

So if you like the NHL you shouldn’t watch July 1 on free agent signing day, or the draft because you don’t know the kids?
Because those are the same?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wasnt MD in the Final Four 2 years ago (2022)? And didnt they win the Natty in 2019? Not sure how that is really a team that is struggling. One year (2023) not up to standards but 13 out of 15 years making the final four is something no other program has done.

I'm a Terps fan, but following their social media, they have (GREAT) players that been gone from CP for 4-10 years talking about what a great place it is. I don't think that resonates with High School Juniors. Tradition is important, but that should not be the only thing highlighted. There are no Terps left that have a ring, and it is a tall hill to climb to get back there. If kids want the best chance of winning a ring, or even getting to a final 4, Maryland is no longer THE place. In 4 short years Maryland has dropped from a Top 1-4 program to a Top 5-10, and the gap is widening.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is a good question, but got ignored by all the drama. Any thoughts here?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It’s exhausting really.

These two things are not even close to comparable.

1. Following where local HIGH SCHOOL juniors select to go to college because you know the families, daughters played with or against them, or are just a fan of the game is a normal part of being invested in the local lacrosse community. Criticizing choices, making assumptions on reasons, disparaging coaches and programs, or just being a d*** is what is wrong with sports culture. Just be happy for them and your daughter. Or shut up.

2. Watching (or caring about) free agent signings and drafts for professional sports teams is for die hard fans who are emotionally invested in how many millions of dollars "their" team is willing to shell out to try and win. Criticize these grown millionaires all you want. They aren't your friends and you only care about how they perform.

One is about girls choosing colleges that offer them a chance to play lacrosse for 4 years. (Winning and money are involved but at its core is the education)

The other is about money that most of us can't comprehend. That's it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it is more to do that a majority of the stars of that final 4 team are no longer in CP, and that the 2023 team lost 7 times and lost in the 2nd round of the NCAAs. Couple that with down (for Maryland) recruiting classes, there is reason for concern.

Compare that to UNC who also had a down year (for UNC), they lost 5 games, but went a round longer in the NCAAs and have year-over-year of stacked recruiting classes.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think it is more to do that a majority of the stars of that final 4 team are no longer in CP, and that the 2023 team lost 7 times and lost in the 2nd round of the NCAAs. Couple that with down (for Maryland) recruiting classes, there is reason for concern.

Compare that to UNC who also had a down year (for UNC), they lost 5 games, but went a round longer in the NCAAs and have year-over-year of stacked recruiting classes.

OH def cause for concern at MD but they can right the ship. The 5th yrs and 6th yrs are very good and I think they have a better roster than last year. Bosco will be a hole, Ball certainly top DEF in conference.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OH def cause for concern at MD but they can right the ship. The 5th yrs and 6th yrs are very good and I think they have a better roster than last year. Bosco will be a hole, Ball certainly top DEF in conference.
Things will change now that there are no more Covid years. Maryland will struggle more next year than this year. All of their seniors returned this year. Once they are gone it will be a rebuilding issue.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's the age old question. Do you want to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond?

As long as the fish is swimming I wouldn’t care if it is a small pond or a big one.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Things will change now that there are no more Covid years. Maryland will struggle more next year than this year. All of their seniors returned this year. Once they are gone it will be a rebuilding issue.

Yes, 2024 being this year, 2023 last year.

They will be better in 2024. 2025 way too far out to say.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
UNC has had top recruiting classes for past 20 years or so. Them doing well in recruiting is not new. Although, i dont think their results on the field in terms of winning championships has equalled their recruiting success.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When will the college coaches start showing defensive players some interest?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting, I was thinking the opposite. Outside of UNC and a couple others there are a lot more A and D taken at this point than I expected, but what do I know I’m new to this. Just going off the old rumors that coaches like to take more middies and convert them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you must not like defenders if you think alot have been taken... #'s off the latest batch:

245 Total
29G (12%)
20D (8%)
35A (14%)
161 M, M/A AND a few M/D (66%)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you must not like defenders if you think alot have been taken... #'s off the latest batch:

245 Total
29G (12%)
20D (8%)
35A (14%)

Is the positions pulled from Sports Recruits, if so, ton of defenders put M/D because maybe they play middie for their HS team or they know coaches look for middies but no doubt a bunch of those M/D are true defenders.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sometimes old rumors are true. College coaches definitely like to take Mids and convert them to D. Attack too, but more so for D. They already know how to play D, are fast, and typically have much better stick skills than club defenders. If the player is willing, it's an easy decision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

245 Total
29G (12%)
20D (8%)
35A (14%)

My daughter’s coach three years tried to make her a middie from attacker. Didn’t have the stamina for it. Never has. He said much much harder to get recruited to a top lax school as a d or a than a middie. It’s been proven right. She just committed. Above numbers are close to what I had. Probably get a better offer I’d sue waits but that’s a dangerous game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

245 Total
29G (12%)
20D (8%)
35A (14%)

If you have the time you need to move all the M/A to A and all the M/D to D. Those are the real numbers.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Typically, where do you put your best defender at, high D or low D? I would assume your faster D are high D but your best one v one defender is low D?

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Typically, where do you put your best defender at, high D or low D? I would assume your faster D are high D but your best one v one defender is low D?

Our former/converted middies typically are higher Ds, even if they are the better 1v1 defenders. Some of this may be because they are typically better on the clear.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jenny is five years and done so anyone committing now will have a new head coach for the 2025 season ... Kate Levy graduates in 2024

We declined UNC although my daughter has not yet made a final commitment

Phil Barnes keeps calling

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Um, her daughter graduates HS in 2024, 2025 season will be her first year at UNC. You are saying that her mom is going to leave the head coaching position when her daughter gets there?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jenny is five years and done so anyone committing now will have a new head coach for the 2025 season ... Kate Levy graduates in 2024

What in the world are you even talking about?!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Phil keeps calling? After they landed 9 commits already? She must be special.......but if she was that special then Jenny would be calling

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to M&D social media they have already four defenders committed, including their first overall girl that committed.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

According to M&D social media they have already four defenders committed, including their first overall girl that committed.

I just checked that out. 10 commits total. 4 D, 1 A, 1 G and the rest middies. I don’t know those kids but it’s obviously a ridiculously good club. Do they roll two lines of middies so all but one of the middies are committed? And most of their D got offers already? I would also assume that a lot of those D would be able to play middie at other clubs? But maybe I’m jumping to conclusions based on reputation? I wonder about slightly lower tier clubs - have their defenders historically gotten offers from decent to top programs? Or do the colleges pick athleticism and stick skills?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just checked that out. 10 commits total. 4 D, 1 A, 1 G and the rest middies. I don’t know those kids but it’s obviously a ridiculously good club. Do they roll two lines of middies so all but one of the middies are committed? And most of their D got offers already? I would also assume that a lot of those D would be able to play middie at other clubs? But maybe I’m jumping to conclusions based on reputation? I wonder about slightly lower tier clubs - have their defenders historically gotten offers from decent to top programs? Or do the colleges pick athleticism and stick skills?

Defense is the one position where it is tougher to get an offer if you aren't on a top 40 club. Coaches want to see you against top competition and have either 1) elite size or 2) elite speed and top clubs recruit defenders who can do that..

Also on lower tier clubs, top defenders are usually playing middle.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Defense is the one position where it is tougher to get an offer if you aren't on a top 40 club. Coaches want to see you against top competition and have either 1) elite size or 2) elite speed and top clubs recruit defenders who can do that..

And that’s why the data from above is bad. The girl we know who committed to play D was the bottom of the middies on the club and switched to play D late. She now has an offer and some of those middies don’t. But she still shows up as a middie for all the commit data.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct about the data. My daughter who switched to attack this year was told by the college she committed to they will be using her as a middie. Therefore. There’s one attack committed that won’t be playing attack. So the data is never gonna be correct. But it will be close.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
"Elite Size" LOL

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"We"

No one believes your daughter turned them down. Sounds like she didn't get the call at all and this is sour grapes.

You know who Phil is ... great. But you don't know that Kate graduates from UNC in 2028.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Correct about the data. My daughter who switched to attack this year was told by the college she committed to they will be using her as a middie. Therefore. There’s one attack committed that won’t be playing attack. So the data is never gonna be correct. But it will be close.
Speaking from a parent who also has a kid in college already, colleges have no idea how they will use the 25’s yet. Between transfers, 23’s and 24’s not on the field yet, injuries, and girls developing over the next 2 years differently than today there is no way they can possibly know at this point how they will be used.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by cltlax

Our former/converted middies typically are higher Ds, even if they are the better 1v1 defenders. Some of this may be because they are typically better on the clear.

On the opponents best attacker. Which usually means your best defender is played high left side, (guarding a righty shooter).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let's be honest. Across top 20 teams, there are probably fewer than 20 2-way middies in today's games. Almost all field players are recruited as an attacker or defender. If they can play both ways, great. But almost everything is recruiting with a primary position in mind.

Last edited by Team BOTC; . Reason: Duplicate quotes
Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody know what a not fully funded program really means? I know that means you can’t get a full scholarship including room and board. Does it mean anything else once you’re on the team? My daughter is heading to one of them. Got a great great offer, but some parent on my daughter’s club team told me it’s not fully funded.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody know what a not fully funded program really means? I know that means you can’t get a full scholarship including room and board. Does it mean anything else once you’re on the team? My daughter is heading to one of them. Got a great great offer, but some parent on my daughter’s club team told me it’s not fully funded.
If your daughter got a great offer, why does it matter if they are not a fully funded program? It does not mean anything else once you are on the team.

Like Reply Quote
Page 55 of 58 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 58
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard