Originally Posted by Anonymous
When will the college coaches start showing defensive players some interest?

According to M&D social media they have already four defenders committed, including their first overall girl that committed.

I just checked that out. 10 commits total. 4 D, 1 A, 1 G and the rest middies. I don’t know those kids but it’s obviously a ridiculously good club. Do they roll two lines of middies so all but one of the middies are committed? And most of their D got offers already? I would also assume that a lot of those D would be able to play middie at other clubs? But maybe I’m jumping to conclusions based on reputation? I wonder about slightly lower tier clubs - have their defenders historically gotten offers from decent to top programs? Or do the colleges pick athleticism and stick skills?

Defense is the one position where it is tougher to get an offer if you aren't on a top 40 club. Coaches want to see you against top competition and have either 1) elite size or 2) elite speed and top clubs recruit defenders who can do that..

Also on lower tier clubs, top defenders are usually playing middle.

And that’s why the data from above is bad. The girl we know who committed to play D was the bottom of the middies on the club and switched to play D late. She now has an offer and some of those middies don’t. But she still shows up as a middie for all the commit data.