BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,835
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Boys 2025-11th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
Back of THE CAGE
OP Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
Use this thread to discuss lacrosse pertaining to 11th Grade Boys (2025 Grads) for the Fall 2023/Summer 2024 Season.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2025-11th Grade Fall 2023/Summer 2024
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few post-9/1 thoughts:

- If you still think 'best club team' or wins and losses really matter then you're not doing what's best for your son or daughter
- The so-called "expertise" you find here and on other forums is the exact opposite
- You definitely do not need to be on a big brand team to get D1 attention on Day 1
- Every kid is going to be different so stop comparing your son or daughter to their friends/teammates/opponents
- Inside Lacrosse is doing a great podcast series with coaches that covers recruiting. You'll learn a lot by listening.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Curious what people think about St. John's. Almost all of the 2025 commits I've seen have been at top-10 schools but then I saw St. John's got a kid from Connetquot this week.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
A few post-9/1 thoughts:

- If you still think 'best club team' or wins and losses really matter then you're not doing what's best for your son or daughter
- The so-called "expertise" you find here and on other forums is the exact opposite
- You definitely do not need to be on a big brand team to get D1 attention on Day 1
- Every kid is going to be different so stop comparing your son or daughter to their friends/teammates/opponents
- Inside Lacrosse is doing a great podcast series with coaches that covers recruiting. You'll learn a lot by listening.

Agree with most of this: most expertise on this forum is anecdotal or emotional opinion.

Ironically I do think you may have an emotional bias against big name clubs which is maybe my one point of disagreement. Which non big brand club (outside top 50) had a Sep commit so far. Genuinely curious and I haven’t done the research on all the commits but I feel like they have almost all been Big Brand Club or Big Brand High School

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St Johns will lose to most of the top D3 and D2 schools and should not be D1 lax. They will never draw big talent they have nothing to offer. High School locker rooms a horrible stadium for games (not really a stadium) no college atmosphere no football. Kids want it all and they have none of it. Plus most kids don't want to live in Queens sorry

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few post-9/1 thoughts:

Agree with most of this: most expertise on this forum is anecdotal or emotional opinion.

Ironically I do think you may have an emotional bias against big name clubs which is maybe my one point of disagreement. Which non big brand club (outside top 50) had a Sep commit so far. Genuinely curious and I haven’t done the research on all the commits but I feel like they have almost all been Big Brand Club or Big Brand High School

Scroll down the D1 commitments page on Inside Lacrosse and there are 2 from public High Schools on LI. 1 plays for not a big brand club. One plays for the club combo team.

Nearly every other D1 commit so far is from a private high school.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
St Johns will lose to most of the top D3 and D2 schools and should not be D1 lax. They will never draw big talent they have nothing to offer. High School locker rooms a horrible stadium for games (not really a stadium) no college atmosphere no football. Kids want it all and they have none of it. Plus most kids don't want to live in Queens sorry

I agree with everything you said but I do feel they might be a team on the rise in the few years. The new coach is being very aggressive with recruiting. He has a lot of potential. the 25's will be his third class but it will be the second class that he had a chance to start recruiting in September. When they parted ways with the last coach ( who should have been let go years ago) He had already missed out most if not all the 23's. He was recruiting the 23' nd 24's at the same time
I thought Turri was a great hire. They have a lot going against them (all the things you listed) but i think we can produce some good teams in a few years.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A few post-9/1 thoughts:

That is true. There were no LI players who didn’t get mentioned on the Inside Lacrosse list not from 91 and Express. The reason is the exposure of certain clubs vs other clubs. Now are there are players that are worthy, but just didn’t get seen by NLF or IL. Ultimately it won’t limit opportunities, they just have to work more now and go to prospect days and showcases this fall and make their own exposure. The NLF has tilted the table to the benefit of NLF clubs and teams that play in NLF events, imho.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are the kids that are committing now to the big schools, on average what kind of package do those kids get? Notre Dame Duke UNC etc?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it public knowledge which schools are not fully funded?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
are the kids that are committing now to the big schools, on average what kind of package do those kids get? Notre Dame Duke UNC etc?

Based from my 2022 experience. Every kid is different. My 22 was offered packages along a wide scale For example. The 2 patriot league schools he liked only had a small amount of academic the big 10 schools had a combo athletic and academic that tuition almost the same as a SUNY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fully funded? Your kid is not getting a full ride. He’s getting enough to equal out the cost of a State school. That’s it, combination of athletic and academic. If he doesn’t have the grades, figure out the cost per credit for NCC.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fully funded? Your kid is not getting a full ride. He’s getting enough to equal out the cost of a State school. That’s it, combination of athletic and academic. If he doesn’t have the grades, figure out the cost per credit for NCC.

Getting some of the top schools at same cost of SUNY is a huge win.

And by fully funded, he’s talking about which programs have the max amount of scholarship money allowed to be distributed to the team. Some programs are not fully funded and don’t have the full 12.6 or whatever the number is now scholarships to distribute.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

On pure scholarship money on average around 25% at those schools for a top recruit. The top player at their position might get more.

Poor families will get financial aid on top. What is also happening this year is the big 10, ACC have NIL money to offer. That is going to get bigger every year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And by fully funded, he’s talking about which programs have the max amount of scholarship money allowed to be distributed to the team. Some programs are not fully funded and don’t have the full 12.6 or whatever the number is now scholarships to distribute.
I assume the money funded programs have to work with is based on their cost of tuition but does a UNC have 12.6 scholarships at the out of state price ($50k) or in state price ($9k)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You’re not getting Duke or any other private at SUNY costs unless your kid is a top 3 talent. You would have gotten a lot more if you went to a big school and played club, like UT.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know which patriot league schools are not fully funded

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a lower ranked kid on a well known club. This site should be about sharing info so that is what I am willing to do. I'll ignore the likely flaming comments but I will answer any recruiting question anyone has if they care. It is shocking to me how little true information is out there on what to expect, what to do. My sons facts (without giving away too much so not identified).

He isn't a five star but a good player. Was not getting texts at midnight 9/1 but has heard from a broad range of schools over the first two weeks. Some honest about where he stands (down their list) and others (low end D1) being aggressive on scheduling visits.

Ask any Q

BBH

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems like offers have gone out and now schools are waiting for responses before they can offer others?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know which patriot league schools are not fully funded

From my understanding and this IS NOT fact. Just here say. None of the patriot league’s schools have the full amount of scholarships most have none to only a few.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

He’s talking about schools that are funded for max scholarships not his kid. Jeez 🙄

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems like offers have gone out and now schools are waiting for responses before they can offer others?

Largely true for top 25 D1. Next two weeks will clear the decks and the food fight or the top players will be done.
BBH

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you, as this is what the forum should be about, not bashing middle and high school kids. In your or anyone else’s opinion that wants to respond, Which showcases are worth going to if your child is a freshmen?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you, as this is what the forum should be about, not bashing middle and high school kids. In your or anyone else’s opinion that wants to respond, Which showcases are worth going to if your child is a freshmen?
NONE, Nobody is looking at freshman. If you want to see where they stack up in relations to other players than maybe, otherwise save your money

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NONE, Nobody is looking at freshman. If you want to see where they stack up in relations to other players than maybe, otherwise save your money

Agreed. It can be useful to help your kid with self-awareness of his skill level but other than getting on large lists of kids willing to spend money to attend camps there isn't a lot of value. 2024s are still being recruited right now.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agreed. It can be useful to help your kid with self-awareness of his skill level but other than getting on large lists of kids willing to spend money to attend camps there isn't a lot of value. 2024s are still being recruited right now.
Every college program right is looking at transfer portals and 2024's, next 2025's. Only the top % of 2026 are recognized at this point, if that

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NIL money is non existent for lacrosse players, especially in the Power 5 conference schools. All that money is slated for Football and basketball. There is nothing for lacrosse. It’s all on google, just search it up. Same amount of NIL money for men’s lacrosse as there is for women’s field hockey.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY opinion go to an SEC school play club and enjoy the college experience I wish my older son did that. He's playing D-1 and honestly doesn't really love it anymore full time job. So dads make sure your kid is up to the challenge of school work and basically another 3hrs a day of Lax. Hopefully my younger guy takes my advice lol good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MY opinion go to an SEC school play club and enjoy the college experience I wish my older son did that. He's playing D-1 and honestly doesn't really love it anymore full time job. So dads make sure your kid is up to the challenge of school work and basically another 3hrs a day of Lax. Hopefully my younger guy takes my advice lol good luck.

Can’t agree with this more. A lot of kids want to commit for the sake of committing and end up at subpar d3 and d1 schools both lacrosse wise and academically. Play MCLA and travel to play teams like BC Clemson GaTech USC UCLA etc

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Smart man, wise words for a lot of moms and dads to heed!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your kid doesn't want to play lacrosse for 3 hours a day? Sounds like he never should have played D1. Or at all in college.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Can’t agree with this more. A lot of kids want to commit for the sake of committing and end up at subpar d3 and d1 schools both lacrosse wise and academically. Play MCLA and travel to play teams like BC Clemson GaTech USC UCLA etc

And many kids have a great 4 years at schools they might not have been accepted at otherwise. Everyone is different there is not right or wrong answer.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your kid doesn't want to play lacrosse for 3 hours a day? Sounds like he never should have played D1. Or at all in college.

I'm not the original poster but you sound like a hard that is living through your child. The guy gave an honest response.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm not the original poster but you sound like a hard that is living through your child. The guy gave an honest response.

That dude never ever played a sport before, like a good number of “lax dads” but now he’s an expert on everything college sports. Probably 5’6” and 240lbs if blubber, but he knows all about college sports.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And many kids have a great 4 years at schools they might not have been accepted at otherwise. Everyone is different there is not right or wrong answer.....

I would agree with this sentiment as lax does open the door for some but I would venture to say that those kids are in the minority, being able to punch above their academic weight class because of lax. I don’t have stats so I’m just venturing a guess that maybe top 20 academic D1 schools and top 15 academic d3 schools are very hard to get in and lax may have helped them but many of the other schools, kids can get in with or without lax. And then you have the reverse where kids will choose a less competitive school just to commit and play lax. I think the point was that MCLA offers some incredibly amazing options that quite frankly are not spoken about enough because it’s “club”. Some (not a lot) of those club teams would beat many d3 and d2 teams and maybe even a few d1

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any advice on how to find a strong MCLA program with more formal coaching and team selection? I think it's potentially a great option for my son but some seem more loosely organized than others.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone have any advice on how to find a strong MCLA program with more formal coaching and team selection? I think it's potentially a great option for my son but some seem more loosely organized than others.

It’s a great question. There are no great answers. What I can tell you to look at:
-clubs are in three division levels and they are not based by size like the NCAA is. D1 usually has the best teams
-you can find historical MCLA records and see how competitive a team has been over the years. Teams like GaTech, GA, FL, Northeastern, Michigan State, BC, Wake, Stanford, TX, Chapman are doing well and some have always been good and indicative of how good they are
-some teams have tryouts and are very competitive. Some don’t have tryouts and sometimes cannot even field a team from year to year
-look at their schedule. A lot of teams have extensive traveling with their clubs without a lot of flying. Usually indicative of a competitive squad. That being said Club lax is not cheap for the student / parent

In the it is probably very enriching. Would you rather be at Florida or BYU playing against each other or would you rather say you are “committed “ to low d1 d2 d3 for the sake of saying you committed. Give me the former but I understand it’s different strokes for different folks. Hope this helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This couldn't be more wrong. The new coaching staff is going to make that program something special.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It’s a great question. There are no great answers. What I can tell you to look at:
-clubs are in three division levels and they are not based by size like the NCAA is. D1 usually has the best teams
-you can find historical MCLA records and see how competitive a team has been over the years. Teams like GaTech, GA, FL, Northeastern, Michigan State, BC, Wake, Stanford, TX, Chapman are doing well and some have always been good and indicative of how good they are
-some teams have tryouts and are very competitive. Some don’t have tryouts and sometimes cannot even field a team from year to year
-look at their schedule. A lot of teams have extensive traveling with their clubs without a lot of flying. Usually indicative of a competitive squad. That being said Club lax is not cheap for the student / parent

In the it is probably very enriching. Would you rather be at Florida or BYU playing against each other or would you rather say you are “committed “ to low d1 d2 d3 for the sake of saying you committed. Give me the former but I understand it’s different strokes for different folks. Hope this helps.

When you say college club lacrosse "isn't cheap" what are you talking? Similar to the prices we've already been paying for travel? More? Less?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This couldn't be more wrong. The new coaching staff is going to make that program something special.

I'm the original poster, I hope you are right. I've heard great things about the new coach, but I just don't see it sorry. The old coaching staff tried to sell the kids on going to the garden for Knick games and to watch St Johns Bball at the garden. Sell them on a 25min train ride into the city, NYC isn't what it was 20yrs ago. Unfortunately, the garden lost its luster plus the kids nowadays can care less about what happened at he garden 30-50yrs ago. Listen good luck to St johns I hope they become a top 10 program but IMHO it will never happen.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard