BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,819
Posts388,399
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30
Re: Girls 2024-11th Grade Fall 2022/Summer 2023
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the extra covid year ending, how many girls on average are most programs recruiting this year in the 24 class? Lots of schools with 8-10 recruits already. Understand it varies by program but what are most girls hearing from coaches about recruit class size?

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Of course college coaches offer spots to former professional athletes kids. BC & ND. have them on teams now. They have not been stars on the teams so far, but maybe in next couple of years.

Duke too. Nauseating how IL builds them up and then they do nothing on the field. How many articles have I read over the past several years and am still waiting to see what all the hype was about

Not Duke, but how about the hype for a 24 that had two college athlete parents, one playing in the NFL and another that maybe was on a talk show? She landed at a decent school, but it wasn't Top 20. It's really annoying to hear IL try to hype some of these kids and honestly? I think a lot of it is lazy journalism and just some good old bias since her dad was an NFL QB and her mom played a college sport. It's the, "Oh, she must be good since her parents were good" thinking.

I'm planning on a deeper dive with the IL Top Recruits from 2022 - 2024 to see how those players ultimately pan out. How many of them are or were busts? This will be a long term project, but I think it's important, as we should balance out some of the most recent Top 10 picks, especially when someone isn't even the top player on their on Club or HS team...

You can already do this. Go to their site and look at the recruiting rankings for the past 10 years and look at what those players did in college. You have college data to compare. I've done this and i can tell you they are right more often than they are wrong. Will there be misses? yes. This is to be expected. Doesn't mean there's bias and the rankings [Censored]. I'll never understand parents who cry about recruiting rankings. You're not a scout or college coach and i doubt you know more lacrosse than they do.

Exhibit 1: 2017 IL rankings. all these were 5 star recruits. Lacrosse talent is not hard to spot. best players separate themselves in high school pretty easily. You can go through and look at rankings for different years. the pattern is the same. I'm sorry that your daughter wasn't ranked and you hold a grudge.

1.Andie Aldave
2.Jamie Ortega
3.Allison Mastroianni
4.Kyla Sears
5.Shelby Harrison
6.Catie May
7.Samantha Swart
8.Chloe Jones
9.Hannah Cermack
10. Hannah Van Middelem
11.Ali Baiocco
12.Riley Hertford
13. Kelsey Huff
14.Charlotte North
15.Scottie Rose Growney
16. Grace griffin

You will never convince the delusional parents. Many times on BOTC people have posted how the IL Ranked Players (top 30 - 40 players) did during their college career and the whiners refuse to acknowledge it. Certain parents believe that their daughter is a top tier player even when no top tier programs make offers.

Who is making offers? What caliber of programs are making offers? Answer the questions and you will know what caliber of player the student athlete is.

Is it Maryland or Marist? Boston College or Boston University? Carolina or Cornell? Syracuse or Siena? Northwestern or New Hampshire? Florida or Fairfield?

Not too many high end players slip through the cracks. The best college programs identify, recruit and make offers to the best HS players. That is what makes them the best, they get the best players.

This reminds me of something Jenny Levy said during a parent forum at an event a few years back. Quoting as best I can remember. "It takes me and my team 5 maybe 10 minutes to tell if a girl can play on our team. What we spend the most of the recruiting process doing is figuring out if the student-athlete is a good fit for us on and off the field."

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you have the grades, and lax talent, and want to play good to great lacrosse, I would think you would choose Northwestern, Princeton, Stanford, Penn, Yale, Hopkins, Duke. It’s a “no brainer”!! And you will have a degree that will open many doors. If not, it’s the pursuit of a dream that probably won’t happen. Comes down to risk/benefit

Reminds me of that song from Sesame Street... One of these things... "Which one of these things doesn't belong here"....

Which one? All of them have great lax programs, and are top 10 schools. Northwestern, Stanford, Hopkins and Duke can also hand out athletic money. Win-Win

Yale does not have a great women's lacrosse program. Yale is an excellent school but the women's lacrosse program is very average. Not sure why you would consider the program great.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]
Not Duke, but how about the hype for a 24 that had two college athlete parents, one playing in the NFL and another that maybe was on a talk show? She landed at a decent school, but it wasn't Top 20. It's really annoying to hear IL try to hype some of these kids and honestly? I think a lot of it is lazy journalism and just some good old bias since her dad was an NFL QB and her mom played a college sport. It's the, "Oh, she must be good since her parents were good" thinking.

I'm planning on a deeper dive with the IL Top Recruits from 2022 - 2024 to see how those players ultimately pan out. How many of them are or were busts? This will be a long term project, but I think it's important, as we should balance out some of the most recent Top 10 picks, especially when someone isn't even the top player on their on Club or HS team...

Not sure how widely this has been covered because I legit have no clue who you're referring to. So maybe one journalist being lazy?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Of course college coaches offer spots to former professional athletes kids. BC & ND. have them on teams now. They have not been stars on the teams so far, but maybe in next couple of years.

Duke too. Nauseating how IL builds them up and then they do nothing on the field. How many articles have I read over the past several years and am still waiting to see what all the hype was about

You can already do this. Go to their site and look at the recruiting rankings for the past 10 years and look at what those players did in college. You have college data to compare. I've done this and i can tell you they are right more often than they are wrong. Will there be misses? yes. This is to be expected. Doesn't mean there's bias and the rankings [Censored]. I'll never understand parents who cry about recruiting rankings. You're not a scout or college coach and i doubt you know more lacrosse than they do.

Exhibit 1: 2017 IL rankings. all these were 5 star recruits. Lacrosse talent is not hard to spot. best players separate themselves in high school pretty easily. You can go through and look at rankings for different years. the pattern is the same. I'm sorry that your daughter wasn't ranked and you hold a grudge.

1.Andie Aldave
2.Jamie Ortega
3.Allison Mastroianni
4.Kyla Sears
5.Shelby Harrison
6.Catie May
7.Samantha Swart
8.Chloe Jones
9.Hannah Cermack
10. Hannah Van Middelem
11.Ali Baiocco
12.Riley Hertford
13. Kelsey Huff
14.Charlotte North
15.Scottie Rose Growney
16. Grace griffin

You will never convince the delusional parents. Many times on BOTC people have posted how the IL Ranked Players (top 30 - 40 players) did during their college career and the whiners refuse to acknowledge it. Certain parents believe that their daughter is a top tier player even when no top tier programs make offers.

Who is making offers? What caliber of programs are making offers? Answer the questions and you will know what caliber of player the student athlete is.

Is it Maryland or Marist? Boston College or Boston University? Carolina or Cornell? Syracuse or Siena? Northwestern or New Hampshire? Florida or Fairfield?

Not too many high end players slip through the cracks. The best college programs identify, recruit and make offers to the best HS players. That is what makes them the best, they get the best players.

This reminds me of something Jenny Levy said during a parent forum at an event a few years back. Quoting as best I can remember. "It takes me and my team 5 maybe 10 minutes to tell if a girl can play on our team. What we spend the most of the recruiting process doing is figuring out if the student-athlete is a good fit for us on and off the field."

Exactly.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1.Andie Aldave
2.Jamie Ortega
3.Allison Mastroianni
4.Kyla Sears
5.Shelby Harrison
6.Catie May
7.Samantha Swart
8.Chloe Jones
9.Hannah Cermack
10. Hannah Van Middelem
11.Ali Baiocco
12.Riley Hertford
13. Kelsey Huff
14.Charlotte North
15.Scottie Rose Growney
16. Grace griffin

There are some great players on that list, and a few that did nothing in college. Strange list because there are some way better recruits that you left off, and put on some questionable ones.

The comment about the QB daughter was more about IL doing pump articles for her, although to date that player hasn't been rated or shown up as a 5 star, which is the correct answer. However, the writing leading up to the release of the rankings certainly leaned toward her being a "top recruit" within the Top 20. (News flash--she didn't go Top 20.) Tracking the rankings and individual players is a completely different exercise.

I think historically the ratings have been decent, but I have questions around the current director of IL and if her personal bias is tilting rankings toward her alma mater....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

Not sure how widely this has been covered because I legit have no clue who you're referring to. So maybe one journalist being lazy?

Two of her cousins play for BC. Maybe that helps...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]

Two of her cousins play for BC. Maybe that helps...

Pretty nasty that you grown-ups singled out a 16-year old.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
With the extra covid year ending, how many girls on average are most programs recruiting this year in the 24 class? Lots of schools with 8-10 recruits already. Understand it varies by program but what are most girls hearing from coaches about recruit class size?

8 - 10 sounds about right as an average... could even be slightly lower 7-9 per year across the board.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Public Service Announcement......

If a school doesn't want your kid, nothing is going to change that. It doesn't matter whose daddy has what, whose mother is what or what name another kid has. If your kid wants to go to a particular school, they can. They just won't play lacrosse. Instead of spending five more years complaining about how they should have gone to school A but got cheated out of a scholarship, just get over it and move on.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If a school doesn't want your kid, nothing is going to change that. It doesn't matter whose daddy has what, whose mother is what or what name another kid has. If your kid wants to go to a particular school, they can. They just won't play lacrosse. Instead of spending five more years complaining about how they should have gone to school A but got cheated out of a scholarship, just get over it and move on.

For most girls, they cannot just go to a particular school because they “want to” that’s a very ignorant statement. And who exactly was complaining that their kid was cheated out of a scholarship? There is a big difference between making observations and complaining. Please do us a favor and don’t make anymore public service announcements. They’re useless

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Inside Lacrosse reported 300 2024 commits as of late last week. Most of the girls are probably going to top 60 programs in D1(lots of Ivy commits already). Coaches mostly say they are looking for 10+ players, that is a big number for 1 class coming in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately the above will fall upon many deaf ears, there are obviously certain parents who will never accept reality and will come up with far fetched tails and excuses.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Inside Lacrosse reported 300 2024 commits as of late last week. Most of the girls are probably going to top 60 programs in D1(lots of Ivy commits already). Coaches mostly say they are looking for 10+ players, that is a big number for 1 class coming in.

Probably closer to 500 DI commits. Not sure why you point out "lots of Ivy commits", most schools and conferences have lots of commits by now. Most schools do not bring in 10 plus freshmen.

As for your Ivy's I will say that with approximately 60 players publicly committed to The Ivy's there are probably less than10 spots left.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately the above will fall upon many deaf ears, there are obviously certain parents who will never accept reality and will come up with far fetched tails and excuses.

Like the response two posts above?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For most girls, they cannot just go to a particular school because they “want to” that’s a very ignorant statement. And who exactly was complaining that their kid was cheated out of a scholarship? There is a big difference between making observations and complaining. Please do us a favor and don’t make anymore public service announcements. They’re useless

"Her daddy is this."
"Because he last name is..."

If the shoe fits.....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"For most girls, they cannot just go to a particular school because they “want to” that’s a very ignorant statement."

Sunshine and rainbows are great, but reality WILL set in. If your darling daughter can't get accepted to, and afford, a school she wants to attend, adding athletics is only going to increase the struggle. If her academic merits won't get her there, it's because she doesn't need to be there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the large number of 2024 recruits is because the extra year of covid is done after the 2024 season

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"For most girls, they cannot just go to a particular school because they “want to” that’s a very ignorant statement."

Sunshine and rainbows are great, but reality WILL set in. If your darling daughter can't get accepted to, and afford, a school she wants to attend, adding athletics is only going to increase the struggle. If her academic merits won't get her there, it's because she doesn't need to be there.

A lot of people on these boards aren't gonna like hearing that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This conversation is very fool. So if my child, who goes to a non-rich public HS, who has very good but not brainiac grades, and we make good but not great salaries (blue collar $ but probably nothing needs based here)…do I even bother to have her attempt to play lax in college? Lmao? Cause according to you experts she doesn’t sound like she has a chance! I’m not sure why I stop by to read. Every few pages I find something worthy.

I think the comments above were in response to the posts re why do a lot of prep school kids get recruited, and the nefarious theory that coaches like rich families. The responses were theories why kids from prep schools were actually recruited. You shouldn’t take that as an inference that a public HS kid with modest family income can’t get recruited. Stay focused on your daughter and her needs and don’t read into all of this discussion. Kids from all over get recruited.

Honestly, all of this started because someone said that kids from the "B" teams of YJ and MD were being recruited due to "diversity" over more deserving athletes. Just go to M&D to see who the poster is referring to.

The person changed it to "economic diversity", which made no sense in the context of the posters original statement. I asked hotw did one ascertain "economic diversity" from a photo of a recruit and the thread went down this rabbit hole.

What I was trying to point out was the poster who asserted that "B" team athletes were being recruited and taking spots from more deserving athletes, was making the same argument that Black people hear when folks talk about Black students taking spots from more deserving students to get into a university. In essence, it is a terrible argument. Coaches take people that they believe will enhance their teams and who they believe they can develop. Period. Work with your athlete to find her a home. Good luck.

If you don't think, in the world we live in, recruiting diversity isn't important, you have your head in the sand! (This is not meant to be negative)

If you are saying the recruited athletes that were called B teamers are somehow undeserving of their spots, then I think you have your head in the sand. You are diminishing their skill and athleticism sand asserting that someone who did not receive the spot is better. Obviously, the coach who is recruiting disagrees.

No, saying that if equal talent, diversity will matter!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does this elite 88 all star team get selected? Kids on the list that signed up but didn’t show up yesterday. Selected before even watching kids I guess? I know for a fact kids on that list weren’t there because one of my daughters teammates was in surgery for an injury during the event yet was selected for the all star team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How does this elite 88 all star team get selected? Kids on the list that signed up but didn’t show up yesterday. Selected before even watching kids I guess? I know for a fact kids on that list weren’t there because one of my daughters teammates was in surgery for an injury during the event yet was selected for the all star team.

That is awesome !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The "lots of Ivy comments already" comment was from hearing that the Ivies usually commit girls later than others. It didn't make sense to me because the Ivies get top talent and want to lock it up as early as possible.

10+ recruits is a lot even considering covid, transfer portal and only 12 athletic scholarships to cut up. Everyone gets different scholarship %, admissions often more important than the money. Watching games from the sidelines gets old quick. It's just worth having the honest conversation of what your daughter is expecting regarding athletics and academics at college. It's a big chunk of time and energy dedicated to lacrosse to not get rewarded with playing time. It varies from girl to girl.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Support your daughter friends. Don't be so sour.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is awesome !

Granted..alot of the schools who get 10+ committs can afford to because they didn't land a top 5 recruit that would take up a big chunk of the scholarship money. Top 2 recruits get anywhere from 50-75% of their school paid for guaranteed. The rest will be divided among other commits. The higher ranked you are, the more money you get. Alot of these kids come from well off families so any small percentage of that scholarship money is enough. Parents and athletes know in advance what's being offered to them. So a regular D1 school with 10 committs can split that money an even 10% for every player that committed. But this gets alittle more complicated the deeper you dive into Ivies and private schools

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She is an All Star for getting her money back from these [Censored] events. Love it. BTW The "2nd Wave" of Juniors just hit. I guess the first 120 kids that applied didn't all pay. =) Shame on me for not getting a couple of permits and putting something together.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The "lots of Ivy comments already" comment was from hearing that the Ivies usually commit girls later than others. It didn't make sense to me because the Ivies get top talent and want to lock it up as early as possible.

10+ recruits is a lot even considering covid, transfer portal and only 12 athletic scholarships to cut up. Everyone gets different scholarship %, admissions often more important than the money. Watching games from the sidelines gets old quick. It's just worth having the honest conversation of what your daughter is expecting regarding athletics and academics at college. It's a big chunk of time and energy dedicated to lacrosse to not get rewarded with playing time. It varies from girl to girl.

At most D1 schools who take 10-12, 3-4 of those girls at a minimum aren't getting any $$. Coaches know that about 1/3 of girls recruits will drop lax within 2 years so that is why they bring in so many.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She is an All Star for getting her money back from these [Censored] events. Love it. BTW The "2nd Wave" of Juniors just hit. I guess the first 120 kids that applied didn't all pay. =) Shame on me for not getting a couple of permits and putting something together.

That is awesome !

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is awesome !

Granted..alot of the schools who get 10+ committs can afford to because they didn't land a top 5 recruit that would take up a big chunk of the scholarship money. Top 2 recruits get anywhere from 50-75% of their school paid for guaranteed. The rest will be divided among other commits. The higher ranked you are, the more money you get. Alot of these kids come from well off families so any small percentage of that scholarship money is enough. Parents and athletes know in advance what's being offered to them. So a regular D1 school with 10 committs can split that money an even 10% for every player that committed. But this gets alittle more complicated the deeper you dive into Ivies and private schools

Ignorant post, complete nonsense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many committed players are doing various fall events like Mid-Atlantic, Presidents Cup, Inside Lacrosse ID Experience, etc.?

I've heard of a few that aren't doing much this fall since they committed and maybe have conflicts (one being a Northwestern Commit that's tied up with varsity basketball). Does anyone else have experience with this and how the college coaches felt about their players not doing much in the fall? Did it matter or did they not care? I would assume they would be more concerned if you weren't doing summer events, etc.

My daughter is committed and attending fall events, but that's because she has no conflicts and it is 100% her choice on the events she's going to attend. I'm just curious how other parents are approaching this one.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've always been of the opinion you go to the fall tournaments to help out your uncommitted teammates. The cost of Presidents Cup kinda puts that to the test though.

Things like ID Experience are just personal preference I suppose.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many committed players are doing various fall events like Mid-Atlantic, Presidents Cup, Inside Lacrosse ID Experience, etc.?

I've heard of a few that aren't doing much this fall since they committed and maybe have conflicts (one being a Northwestern Commit that's tied up with varsity basketball). Does anyone else have experience with this and how the college coaches felt about their players not doing much in the fall? Did it matter or did they not care? I would assume they would be more concerned if you weren't doing summer events, etc.

My daughter is committed and attending fall events, but that's because she has no conflicts and it is 100% her choice on the events she's going to attend. I'm just curious how other parents are approaching this one.

Are you sure you’re not NW dad? Nobody cares about the kids that don’t go, I’m sure many kids do fall/winter sports and have a conflict. Why single out one girl? Presidents cup is an awesome event. Why would you stop playing if you committed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've always been of the opinion you go to the fall tournaments to help out your uncommitted teammates. The cost of Presidents Cup kinda puts that to the test though.

The flights to Dallas are ridiculous. I'm hopeful they move it back to Florida at some point so we can get cheaper flights. It's virtually the same as flying to San Francisco for us! Ugh. I do agree on helping out your teammates! No reason to leave them hanging!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Overwhelming majority of the 24’s are committed for ID experience. Is the event just meant for competitive lax prior to fall tourney season?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Overwhelming majority of the 24’s are committed for ID experience. Is the event just meant for competitive lax prior to fall tourney season?

What is the ID experience ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

An Inside Lacrosse invitational event held end of October.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is an awesome, supportive response….one I bet is the minority. Just wanted to single you out to acknowledge this! I’d all parents could help support other teammates like this it would be wonderful!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who and how do they do the invites ?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Overwhelming majority of the 24’s are committed for ID experience. Is the event just meant for competitive lax prior to fall tourney season?

You know rhe answer. It’s not for the kids. It’s for IL to make some money and decide which girls will make their 4 star list of camp attendees. There are still plenty of sheep with money that need something to share with their friends

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who and how do they do the invites ?

By credit card

Page 19 of 30 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard