Tryouts launched for Igloo Lacrosse, Legacy Lacrosse & Many More Club Teams - Check Our Forums > Tryouts to see when other teams have touts!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls 2025 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 09:18 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 09:06 PM
Boys 2027-7th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 09:01 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 08:56 PM
2021-2022 Women's DI-III College Lacrosse Season
by Anonymous - 07/06/22 08:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,160
Posts342,035
Members2,466
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 579 of 606 1 2 577 578 579 580 581 605 606
Re: Boys High School
Anonymous #381314 05/24/22 10:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you hawks players this year it didn't help

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Anonymous #381331 05/25/22 08:34 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
How impactful/useful are the various “prospect” days some of the high schools have for middle school players?

I’m a parent of a 7th grader/2027.

Great question, the answer is, it depends. If you're son's really good (top 2 or 3 at his position in Hoco Elite or a just a freak athlete) and the HC of the Program doesn't know you, then it could be very worthwhile, ie a coveted admissions slot and if you're at the right school, some aid, to attend and get noticed. If you're son is anyone else, it's a money grab just like the college prospect days are. I do believe putting your athletic kids in highly competitive lacrosse camps and scrimmages helps them determine whether they want to commit more time and effort at getting better. More of a self actualization exercise than prospecting though and clearly not free.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381345 05/25/22 10:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Don't know enough about Spalding to opine: Aside from losing a bunch of super talented 22s, what does their talent pipeline look like? Will all members of this extremely accomplished coaching staff remain?

It was a real shame that these super talented extremely accomplished people were absent when the leagues best teams and coaches got together for the games at Navy last week.

I don't have a dog in the fight but I think you can make a pretty good argument Spalding was the third best team in the Conference at the end of the year after McD and BL. In any case the top six teams were all pretty evenly matched. Hats off to all six of the playoff coaching staffs!

Third best? You mean the 2nd lost.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381371 05/25/22 12:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How impactful/useful are the various “prospect” days some of the high schools have for middle school players?

Great question, the answer is, it depends. If you're son's really good (top 2 or 3 at his position in Hoco Elite or a just a freak athlete) and the HC of the Program doesn't know you, then it could be very worthwhile, ie a coveted admissions slot and if you're at the right school, some aid, to attend and get noticed. If you're son is anyone else, it's a money grab just like the college prospect days are. I do believe putting your athletic kids in highly competitive lacrosse camps and scrimmages helps them determine whether they want to commit more time and effort at getting better. More of a self actualization exercise than prospecting though and clearly not free.

Makes sense. So then where do the coaches find middle schoolers? Do they just take who shows up and have a tryout and roll with it?

I know crabs and FCA have kids they are pointing to BL and CHC. I’d imagine the hawks and stm and Spalding are similar.

But what about everywhere else? I’m relatively new to the area and trying to understand the best way to get kids in front of the coaches.

Like Reply Quote
B_O_T_C #381372 05/25/22 12:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MIAA all conference team been announced?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #381375 05/25/22 12:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Depends on your objective:

MS admission?

HS admission?

Getting "recruited" and thus 10% off tuition if he makes varsity in 9th?

It also depends on how well your son is doing in other facets of sports and academics. If he is playing AAA ball or above, and he has a 3.75 GPA or above, he's going to get into any (ALL) of the MIAA schools. Especially if he has a second sport or a musical instrument. Or a legacy student.

If he is not rocking all those things, you should probably get him in front of the coaches of his favorite 2-3 schools whenever possible. Lax may be what gets him into the school of his choice. And maybe that nice 10% tuition discount if he's one of the 4 kids who makes varsity in 9th grade.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381377 05/25/22 12:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All MIAA schools offer significant financial aide regardless of athletic prowess on the lacrosse field.

Like Reply Quote
B_O_T_C #381387 05/25/22 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So is MSJ committed to “winning” or just “being” in the A league? What is their program philosophy/goal?

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381390 05/25/22 02:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not useful. When you get to the high school, your kid will be replaced by a new kid who has reclassed.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381402 05/25/22 02:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Replaced by a new kid reclassed and/or the latest evolution of a new kid reclassed from out of state or Canada.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Anonymous #381406 05/25/22 03:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Makes sense. So then where do the coaches find middle schoolers? Do they just take who shows up and have a tryout and roll with it?

I know crabs and FCA have kids they are pointing to BL and CHC. I’d imagine the hawks and stm and Spalding are similar.

But what about everywhere else? I’m relatively new to the area and trying to understand the best way to get kids in front of the coaches.

Get use to ridin the pine @ CHC & BL unless you are a top top player. They will always accept you but rarely if ever play you otherwise. Consider other programs that will allow you to develop on the field. Consider schools that carry 30-35 on varsity roster. You will have a better shot. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381410 05/25/22 03:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Get use to ridin the pine @ CHC & BL unless you are a top top player. They will always accept you but rarely if ever play you otherwise. Consider other programs that will allow you to develop on the field. Consider schools that carry 30-35 on varsity roster. You will have a better shot. Good luck.
Ignore CH, LB, BL, STM and if you want a shot at really developing and seeing field.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381423 05/25/22 04:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ignore CH, LB, BL, STM and if you want a shot at really developing and seeing field.

You could even add McD to the list even though they carry that smaller Varsity roster. There are rising seniors there that never saw time in a competitive MIAA game this past season-and probably won't as seniors. You are only one junior/senior boarding school student transfer away from losing time on field as well at McD. Look @ JC, MSJ, Gilman & Severn. They provide the most opportunities as a freshman to be taught and see the field. Don't make the choice based on who will win the most games. That does not help when your son does not feel like he participated in the game and his uniform is clean.

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381424 05/25/22 04:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gilman, like WAC and Hopkins, will never be good at lacrosse. WAC because why go there? Hopkins again why go there where crime is deplorable. Gilman like small private schools will only be competitive again once the administration, board and the athletic program is restructured with a plan like McD , BL and CHC.

Correct on all counts. Hopkins is on its way to D3 in the 5-10 year future. Admin doesnt care about lacrosse at all. Kids dont care about its history and Ivies have all the cache that Hop doesnt. It is being keep alive by a bunch of over 60 year olds still spouting how great they will be . .

Like Reply Quote
Anonymous #381425 05/25/22 04:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All MIAA schools offer significant financial aide regardless of athletic prowess on the lacrosse field.

Only if you are below Middle class . Their aid to middle class and above is non existent at most schools, and especially if you have combined over 100 k a year which is easy to have with two working. .

Like Reply Quote
Page 579 of 606 1 2 577 578 579 580 581 605 606
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Link Copied to Clipboard