Get it on Google Play
Get it on App Store
Get it on Google Play Get it on App Store
Limited Spots Available for the Snipers Elite Skills & Drills Clinic!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Legacy Girls Lacrosse K-2 Clinics
by BOTC_EVENTS - 09/21/20 02:17 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 09/21/20 02:12 PM
Boys High School
by Anonymous - 09/21/20 02:09 PM
Boys 2028-5th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 09/21/20 01:59 PM
Boys 2026-7th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 09/21/20 01:59 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums19
Topics2,086
Posts272,450
Members2,207
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38578 08/14/13 08:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Sounds like my facts were pretty much right on target, excuse me , a kid could be 4 for 3 months mot 4. the sad truth is in our rush to go back to work we are putting our kids in school when it's most convenient for us and not in the best interest of our children. Maybe we should stop crying about choices we made. Here is a question for all of you complaining about the grad year. Are you the same parents pushing your kids to varsity in the 7,8,9th grade because little Johnny/Janie is so good? And if so why is this somehow different? Isn't the age gape there worse, where is the concern? I think most of you are just complaining because at some point you have lost. No matter how you designate lacrosse , Football, soccer or any sport there will always be a a no less than 12 month spread youngest to oldest, and in most cases closer to 18 months. unless you want make it so P.C. that you can only play kids born in the same month of the same year


If you go by birthdate then all players are withing a 12-month span, unless a kid plays up, and then that's your choice if you make the team.

In my experience, more parents keep their kids back from kindergarten rather than force them to go because the parents both work. I don't think that's just my town but I could be mistaken.


that could be a reason, but my experience has been the exact opposite. Many parents seem to keep their smart, well adjusted kids back with the idea that it might give them an (unfair) edge on the fields. Then they seem to give very unusual excuses when the topic comes up, although some are very honest about it.
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t



No, they kept him out a year so he would have an advantage in EVERYTHING. Older boys tend to fill the leadership roles at school, they are better prepared mentally and physically for all tasks.

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38583 08/14/13 09:45 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
P
Back of THE CAGE
Offline
Back of THE CAGE
P
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t


Sad, but true! The two I'm thinking of right off the top of my head had athletic parents who apparently assumed (correctly, as it turned out) that their children would follow in their footsteps. All parents were big, the kids were big for their ages, I can't comment on their developmental stage at kindergarten, but the parents elected to hold these kids back a year before beginning school. One family had kids who were born in early fall, so okay, that's close. But another family had a kid born in April (!) and although he should've graduated this year from HS, he is now a rising senior and a talented multi-sport athlete attending prep school. I should note that the first family I mentioned also had some of their kids attend prep school after HS (is that prep school? whatever it's called) and before college on the assumption that it would help them with their college athletics. I will also add that their dad is a nutjob/not a nice guy, and this is not, IMO, normal procedure for parenting.

Some kids really do need another year before entering kindergarten but there are cases like I cite above. It really does happen.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Powderfinger #38589 08/14/13 10:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know quite a few families on LI, where the families have 3 (or more) children and the youngest of children are held back; why, because they learned how to game the system from seeing what the other parents did in the older child's years. The reason isn't only in sports but in all aspect of life.

I too have seen these same students be the ones in the honors classes and leadership roles in the schools. Half pan out to be the better athletes (and are also in the top half a year above) but the others could not handle being in the "Proper" grad year athletically.


Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t


Sad, but true! The two I'm thinking of right off the top of my head had athletic parents who apparently assumed (correctly, as it turned out) that their children would follow in their footsteps. All parents were big, the kids were big for their ages, I can't comment on their developmental stage at kindergarten, but the parents elected to hold these kids back a year before beginning school. One family had kids who were born in early fall, so okay, that's close. But another family had a kid born in April (!) and although he should've graduated this year from HS, he is now a rising senior and a talented multi-sport athlete attending prep school. I should note that the first family I mentioned also had some of their kids attend prep school after HS (is that prep school? whatever it's called) and before college on the assumption that it would help them with their college athletics. I will also add that their dad is a nutjob/not a nice guy, and this is not, IMO, normal procedure for parenting.

Some kids really do need another year before entering kindergarten but there are cases like I cite above. It really does happen.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38591 08/14/13 10:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Sounds like my facts were pretty much right on target, excuse me , a kid could be 4 for 3 months mot 4. the sad truth is in our rush to go back to work we are putting our kids in school when it's most convenient for us and not in the best interest of our children. Maybe we should stop crying about choices we made. Here is a question for all of you complaining about the grad year. Are you the same parents pushing your kids to varsity in the 7,8,9th grade because little Johnny/Janie is so good? And if so why is this somehow different? Isn't the age gape there worse, where is the concern? I think most of you are just complaining because at some point you have lost. No matter how you designate lacrosse , Football, soccer or any sport there will always be a a no less than 12 month spread youngest to oldest, and in most cases closer to 18 months. unless you want make it so P.C. that you can only play kids born in the same month of the same year


If you go by birthdate then all players are withing a 12-month span, unless a kid plays up, and then that's your choice if you make the team.

In my experience, more parents keep their kids back from kindergarten rather than force them to go because the parents both work. I don't think that's just my town but I could be mistaken.


that could be a reason, but my experience has been the exact opposite. Many parents seem to keep their smart, well adjusted kids back with the idea that it might give them an (unfair) edge on the fields. Then they seem to give very unusual excuses when the topic comes up, although some are very honest about it.
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t


Parents definitely do this, so it's not bull s%&t...

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38605 08/14/13 01:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In any given graduating class how many kids would say are held back from entering school do to birth month, for academics, etc...?

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38615 08/14/13 03:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
In any given graduating class how many kids would say are held back from entering school do to birth month, for academics, etc...?


Depends on the size of the class.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38625 08/14/13 05:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In your town, kids school, etc... estimate... Is it 10, 20, 30??

I agree with both sides of this discussion but I just don't think there are a ton of kids not starting school for whatever reason making this age issue such a problem. Are there a few- more than a few- of course. The main problem is the clubs/coaches/organizers playing kids where they don't belong and parents are agreeing to it. the travel directors know the age of the players and they know the rules. Going into a game or tournament with players who are over/under the divison age is the real issue. Teams shouldn't be mixed

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38649 08/14/13 09:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
In your town, kids school, etc... estimate... Is it 10, 20, 30??

I agree with both sides of this discussion but I just don't think there are a ton of kids not starting school for whatever reason making this age issue such a problem. Are there a few- more than a few- of course. The main problem is the clubs/coaches/organizers playing kids where they don't belong and parents are agreeing to it. the travel directors know the age of the players and they know the rules. Going into a game or tournament with players who are over/under the divison age is the real issue. Teams shouldn't be mixed


WHat does the age of the players have to do with it? The entire point was the grade. If it went by age their would be kids on grade based teams that where NOT eligible to play with that group. People want to freak that TLIO has a kid whos a grade older and was born in Nov but they have a kid whos the same grade buy was born the same year but in October. Thats how football, baseball , soccer, hockey and basketball do it

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #38658 08/14/13 10:37 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
P
Back of THE CAGE
Offline
Back of THE CAGE
P
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 891
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
In your town, kids school, etc... estimate... Is it 10, 20, 30??

I agree with both sides of this discussion but I just don't think there are a ton of kids not starting school for whatever reason making this age issue such a problem. Are there a few- more than a few- of course. The main problem is the clubs/coaches/organizers playing kids where they don't belong and parents are agreeing to it. the travel directors know the age of the players and they know the rules. Going into a game or tournament with players who are over/under the divison age is the real issue. Teams shouldn't be mixed


WHat does the age of the players have to do with it? The entire point was the grade. If it went by age their would be kids on grade based teams that where NOT eligible to play with that group. People want to freak that TLIO has a kid whos a grade older and was born in Nov but they have a kid whos the same grade buy was born the same year but in October. Thats how football, baseball , soccer, hockey and basketball do it


Well, that's the rub. Lacrosse goes by grad year when every other sport goes by birthdate. Then US Lacrosse throws in that U15 tournament and riots break out (on here, anyway). If you go by birthdate, then at least the club teams are aligned by age.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
CageSage #306366 08/07/20 07:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #306385 08/08/20 03:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t

Parents definitely do this, so it's not bull s%&t...[/quote]
Pretty funny to look back at this discussion from 2013. There were people who legitimately didn’t believe holdbacks purely for lax we’re a real thing.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
Anonymous #306388 08/08/20 06:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So your saying that you know parents that had the foresight to keep there kids out of kindergarten for a year so they could have an advantage 5 to 10 years later, assuming the kid would be playing lax, any good at it , and totally into it ? I'm calling bull s%&t

Parents definitely do this, so it's not bull s%&t...
Pretty funny to look back at this discussion from 2013. There were people who legitimately didn’t believe holdbacks purely for lax we’re a real thing.[/quote]

It is actually fun to look back at this. Holdbacks, reclass, prefirt and not starting kindergarten are at epidemic levels in lacrosse. All sports have some, but lacrosse has the largest percentage playing at a high level High School and Club top teams . Football , Hoops, Baseball have their share, but nothing like lacrosse. Pretty sad, but much of it is just many attempting to catch up to private school holdbacks.

Private schools from MD to MA have been holding back boys for years from kindergarten ( hilarious how they say that is not a holdback) to reclassing many at 8th grade who enroll for first time.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
CageSage #306389 08/08/20 06:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The three best players in the country at 22 didn't play "on age" until this year All played up 1 or 2 years or played varsity as 8th graders school age didn't matter.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
CageSage #306398 08/08/20 11:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That’s not even true. If I guessing correctly on the players considered the very top 2022’s and you’ve seen their birthdates, they have dates that would make them normal or old 2021’s. I’m sure some are on age for 2022, but a bunch aren’t even though they never actually repeated.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Age Group Conversion Table
CageSage #306405 08/08/20 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lax is my favorite sport and my sons. They also play travel football and hockey (dropped soccer years ago). All the sports they play at a very high level are based on on birth year, period-with the exception of lacrosse. One of my kids is January bday and one is Dec. Advantage for one, disadvantage for the other but they still made all their respective travel A teams and compete. There is no logical argument for any kids playing YOUTH sports not to be strictly aged based. Once kids get into High school years I have no problem with rules going grade based. My Dec son had to play soccer a year up and hockey and football continually, but it is fair and creates a level playing field. I'm no snowflake. This is just simple, reasonable stuff. Lacrosse rules, or lack there of are a joke.

Like Reply Quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4