Originally Posted by Anonymous
Stick with grad year, those who bend the system are cheaters and we'll all know who they at the time. I'd rather that then always play boys or girls in a "U" situation that skips a year. U9 U11 U13 U15 U17.

Understanding around the country many towns may not have enough kids at an age group, and if that happens you play up / at the oldest grade level on your team (regardless of one player on the team). The unfortunate thing here is an older player who is less skilled than the younger ones. Well when I was growing up they had cuts for travel.
In supporting class year graduations, you are saying that :
  • you are fine with players being held back or left back for one or possibly two years based on academics and playing with those potentially one or two years younger,
  • the need for birth certificates at tournaments should be waived since you cannot do anything in terms of the player's age, and
  • you are willing to trust the club coaches in designing their graduating year classes since there will not be any school administered documentation confirming a graduation year.
Effectively, you are saying that what is in place right now is just fine. Seriously, I do not think that folks are thinking through the implications of their statements.

As for the opposition to the U-age groups, why do these groups have to be every other year? Clearly, there are enough players to form teams based on class year. U-age groups only shifts the calendar window for grouping student-athletes by a few months.