BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,768
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 42 1 2 3 4 41 42
Re: Boys 2025-7th Grade Fall 2019/Summer 2020
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The kids added have been called over the past few weeks. This isn’t a secret.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The kids added have been called over the past few weeks. This isn’t a secret.

That’s called recruiting. Happens in every sport at every level.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree it’s called recruiting. That’s why tryouts aren’t real. It looks real. Notebooks, jersey numbers, tents set up, coaches blowing whistles. But people should know the chance of making the top team at tryouts is near zero. Tryouts are for B and C teams. Tryouts are for clubs to make money.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its all about the coach(s). The coach for Express B has been really good so far this year. Actually seems to give a garbage. Id take a B team with a good coach over an "A Team" with a real lost that dont know how to motivate kids.

So far this season?!?! Tryouts just finished. Season hasn't even started yet, but apparently there is ice cold kool-aid to drink. Actually, I think I just saw that Express is holding supplemental tryouts

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree it’s called recruiting. That’s why tryouts aren’t real. It looks real. Notebooks, jersey numbers, tents set up, coaches blowing whistles. But people should know the chance of making the top team at tryouts is near zero. Tryouts are for B and C teams. Tryouts are for clubs to make money.

You are partially right. Coaches do make calls ahead based on players that they know about. Plus coaches are not looking to turn over their entire team. Usually there are only a few slots that will change. But kids can get on teams by showing up to tryouts without being called. Believe me. My kids have dome this. But as kids get older it gets harder. Less turnover. Always call and ask if you are looking at specific team how many slots and what position are open to change. Many coaches will tell you honestly. And some teams you may be invited to a practice even before tryouts.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you say call ahead and ask what positions are open for change, what does that actually mean. They will say all positions are open. Clubs need to fill secondary teams and want tryout fees as well. Say for example the A team wants 6 kids at defense. Let’s say 24 kids register for tryouts who play defense. They have 4 real good defenseman returning from last year, 1 of the 24 is a coaches kid, 1 of the 24 is recruited kid. That means that all 6 slots are filled before you even drive into the parking lot. That means 18 of those kids are trying out for the B team. Most parents don’t know this.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When teams are having supplemental tryouts they are either having problems or ringing the cash register

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When you say call ahead and ask what positions are open for change, what does that actually mean. They will say all positions are open. Clubs need to fill secondary teams and want tryout fees as well. Say for example the A team wants 6 kids at defense. Let’s say 24 kids register for tryouts who play defense. They have 4 real good defenseman returning from last year, 1 of the 24 is a coaches kid, 1 of the 24 is recruited kid. That means that all 6 slots are filled before you even drive into the parking lot. That means 18 of those kids are trying out for the B team. Most parents don’t know this.

It depends on the club. Last year I spoke with a director of a club about one of my kids and they told me they weren’t making any changes in that position on the A team. This year I spoke with a director from a different club about another one of my kids and he flat out told me it would be very hard to break into the A team at that position unless my kid was an absolute stud (he’s not). But he did invite him to a practice if we were seriously interested.

Neither club was 91 or Express. They’ll tell you to come on down to tryouts and take your money without an honest conversation ( I know from experience ).

You can also ask to speak with the coach. They can be more honest than the club if they aren’t an owner. If you do speak with the coach, remember that your kids evaluation starts the moment you begin speaking. No coach wants a pain in the @ss parent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who else is running secondary tryouts at this point?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its all about the coach(s). The coach for Express B has been really good so far this year. Actually seems to give a garbage. Id take a B team with a good coach over an "A Team" with a real lost that dont know how to motivate kids.

So far this season?!?! Tryouts just finished. Season hasn't even started yet, but apparently there is ice cold kool-aid to drink. Actually, I think I just saw that Express is holding supplemental tryouts

pure daddy ball, only cares about one player, horrible coach, you'll see...

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Which team? Seems there is a ton of daddy Ball going on at the big "Name" programs

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the sons coach is on the team - BUYER BEWARE!! It never turns out good.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The coach's son is almost ALWAYS on the team. Outside of Express (Coach C only), where else is it not daddy ball?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Igloo still trying to put together a primary team at this point!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So true, Say what you want about Coach C, certainly no daddy ball issues. All the other teams have some form of daddy ball. Some of those dads know, if they didn’t coach, their son wouldn’t be on the team or they wouldn’t play a significant amount.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The coach's son is almost ALWAYS on the team. Outside of Express (Coach C only), where else is it not daddy ball?

Express brought over at least 2 possibly 3 Daddy coaches for this coming year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Outlaws, Rebels, S2S, Express

I'm sure there are others

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Igloo still dont have a final team? why is that? I heard that program is a disaster and is heading down fast. I didnt even let my son tryout based on the stories I heard. Talk about daddy ball....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Igloo still dont have a final team? why is that? .

If you know the answer, why did you even ask?!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
go to the 20th tryout they're hosting Maybe you can both get spots

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the problem is all of these program employ coaches who have kids in the program, even at other ages. And their kids (aside from maybe Spallina and a handful of others) usually stink or don't want to play. Parents don't have the green to pay for a program.... so you have this incestuous setup.

So you get parents who pay $3k plus sitting there saying... why is this fool on the field over my kid? the answer is simple...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
the problem is all of these program employ coaches who have kids in the program, even at other ages. And their kids (aside from maybe Spallina and a handful of others) usually stink or don't want to play. Parents don't have the green to pay for a program.... so you have this incestuous setup.

So you get parents who pay $3k plus sitting there saying... why is this fool on the field over my kid? the answer is simple...

Parents on Express B will be pondering this exact question

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Express brought over at least 2 possibly 3 Daddy coaches for this coming year.

No they didn't. Fake news

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did Geese Fold? Went from first to worst in one season what happened?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First? stop.... They were never "first" not at least in this age group. Just a name from days gone by. Just like Igloo, Ducks, etc They are all horrible. Either your Express or 91...or you aint....

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I guess you have it all figured out let me know how you feel when the college coaches come around and little Johnny is sitting on the bench .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll be sure to tell my 12 year old that because he's not on Express or 91 that he should quit a sport he loves. Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Geese are in bad shape. All of their top players have jumped ship. Just left with a few decent players. They were a legit team a couple of years ago in this age group. Now you just feel bad for the players who stayed behind.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll be sure to tell my 12 year old that because he's not on Express or 91 that he should quit a sport he loves. Thanks

Good point. Although for 3 to 4 grand and a willingness to be one of 35+, you too can have your son practice with Express.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Geese are in bad shape. All of their top players have jumped ship. Just left with a few decent players. They were a legit team a couple of years ago in this age group. Now you just feel bad for the players who stayed behind.
2025 group is the worst. 1 good team out there on lonh island. Parents just dont get it. GO to the wiining team all they care about. if if my son does not play Joke..

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Igloo still dont have a final team? why is that? I heard that program is a disaster and is heading down fast. I didnt even let my son tryout based on the stories I heard. Talk about daddy ball....

The simple answer is, they didn't get enough out of their roster. Call it Daddy ball, poor coaching, nepotism, cliques, whatever. The players on the field didn't make enough plays to win. Lots of turnover this year, but remains to be seen what the outcome will be. Igloo had a good run with their older teams but have struggled lately staying relevant with their young teams in AA. I don't see this group doing much but wish them luck.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are going backwards based on stories I heard. Supposedly theres another "tryout" session for attack kids only. A dad I I know who's kid still plays there said they apparently they shot themselfs in the foot with one kid and another kid shot them on short notice. and jumped ship to 91. Great job. Theres a reason they are terrible. i hope they do beter too but I doubt it. Say what you want about lesser known clubs but at least they seem to handle their business much better. True Blue had no problem filling their roster.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were a handful of players who left. Most stayed and are still staying. I have watched this team. There are good players on this team. But like anything else they need to really work hard practicing to be competitive. They need to step it up. You can tell when you watch if kids are going home hitting the wall, doing extra clinics, etc... That's what makes the difference between the talented kid and the great kid. And kids who do that will gravitate to teams with like minded kids. It's not just about hanging out anymore with your friends and playing. It's a mindset. Geese have talented kids, most of them. They just need to get the right mindset. And they can come back. I would not count them out.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There were a handful of players who left. Most stayed and are still staying. I have watched this team. There are good players on this team. But like anything else they need to really work hard practicing to be competitive. They need to step it up. You can tell when you watch if kids are going home hitting the wall, doing extra clinics, etc... That's what makes the difference between the talented kid and the great kid. And kids who do that will gravitate to teams with like minded kids. It's not just about hanging out anymore with your friends and playing. It's a mindset. Geese have talented kids, most of them. They just need to get the right mindset. And they can come back. I would not count them out.

Sure they can. I believe they can be competitive on a single A level. But they had the best team and now that has dismantled for one reason or another. Really not important at this point. But it will take a large influx of talent, in addition to the hard work. Just let the coaches coach and the kids play and don’t weigh things down with unrealistic expectations. No team, at least for this year, is catching up to Express or even 91. There is a large gap down from there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who coaches the Geese I heard they are looking for middies.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel worse for the players who don’t have the guts to play against the “better” teams, and instead are guided by parents who are teaching them to cut and run instead of stay and work. They can be very proud that they “joined” a better team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Has anyone heard about a new team out of Huntington called the Regulators? Any good?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I feel worse for the players who don’t have the guts to play against the “better” teams, and instead are guided by parents who are teaching them to cut and run instead of stay and work. They can be very proud that they “joined” a better team.

When your team can only manage to score two goals against Roar and lose multiple times to them as well as Force then its time to reassess options. If 91 wants a big fast athletic attack why not?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are going backwards based on stories I heard. Supposedly theres another "tryout" session for attack kids only. A dad I I know who's kid still plays there said they apparently they shot themselfs in the foot with one kid and another kid shot them on short notice. and jumped ship to 91. Great job. Theres a reason they are terrible. i hope they do beter too but I doubt it. Say what you want about lesser known clubs but at least they seem to handle their business much better. True Blue had no problem filling their roster.

Seems like Igloo and Geese should team up. Igloo this year sounds very similar to what we were all hearing about the Geese at the start of last year!!!

Page 2 of 42 1 2 3 4 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard