BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,616
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 69 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 68 69
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2012/Spring 2013
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My son was at the tryout and I can say that the tryout was full of talented kids and I think they picked a very, very good team. Cant argue with who they picked, they are all very good players. My son has played against these kids since he started playing travel lacrosse and he is friends with many of them. Did they get it exactly right? Were there better players that didn't make it? I think the answer to those questions is left to the evaluators whose job it was to sift through all the talent....Any way you look at it no matter who they picked, someone would have had an issue with it.......life is full of disappointments, if your son didn't make it, deal with it and move on, my son has. [lacrosse] be back for the spring tryout to try again..........

Dear amazing parnet,

Did you notice that the highly credibility evaluators that you referred to that picked your son that they really weren't evaluating ANYTHING. Your son was picked before he showed up. If your one of the 16 (out of the 20) that deserve the spot you got than you also play for the right coach or club. This thing stinks of loads of BS! So, hopefully that will help your son get recruited in a year or two along with your sons talent.

Sorry to ruin your hate and whine rant but I have news for you.....my son didn't make the team or the call back list. He had a bad day and didn't deserve to get picked. If in fact the team was predetermined than that's messed up. In reality Ionlynhave an issue with two kids who made it, all the other kids had good tryouts and deserve to be there IMO

It speaks volumes that you have an issue with two of the kids. The two whom you probably take issue with, are probably two coaches kids, who are fan-freaking-tastic players. Would you disqualify them because of this? Maybe if you had done that implant a few years back, you wouldn't hate so much.

Noones hating here, only you. The two kids I have an issue with were kids that got sent to the other field with my son and are not coaches kids to my knowledge. Both kids were on my sons team but somehow made into the top 20 even though they weren't on the main field with all the kids they chose to look at. It speaks volumes that you assume you know what your talking about and you clearly don't. I can't comment on either coaches son because I didn't take notice of them at the tryout. From what people are posting here it sounds like there were more deserving players........
from what people are posting here it seems as if those whose children were not selected, are posting many excuses as to why their kids did not make it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Too bad we had the aforementioned "evaluators" who have now created this nonsense and ruined this event. Unfortunately we will see "them" involved with the "coaching" that takes place during the event in July. I feel sorry for the college coach assigned to this team who will have to put up with this teams "evaluators". But as stated earlier get use to 5 more years of this BS.
I bet that your kid would NEVER accept a spot on either of those coaches teams, if selected. ...yeah....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is it really, "NEVER what you know, but whom you know", or is it a help to have BOTH? Some of the jealous posts here seem to assert that the kid can't play the game, but somehow gets selected. THAT is SPIN on the situation. Be fair- NO weak players were selected, so when ALL capable players are present, why is it so darn confusing that a familiar kid may get the nod? Maybe these guys are NOT the anti-Christ. It would be nice if the haters could imagine that they were in the position to evaluate

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
First thing right off that no one has mentioned is how badly run that tryout was. No fast breaks? No progressions? They didn't take any care in how they broke the boys up, so you had kids that play together all the time that played together the whole tryout. A competitive tryout like that is supposed to be about what players stand out and demonstrate their ability to play at the next level, not what club team they play for or how big they are, etc. I like how they sent half the kids to the other field. It looks like the list is comprised of some very good players and it's hard to argue with the list, however Im not sure the best players on that DAY were picked. It's unforttunate that that's the way it is for travel lax on Long Island, but looks like thats what we'll be dealing with for the next 5 years.
If you were in charge, would you realize that no cohesive gel is going to take place with kids unfamiliar with one another's play style, typical tactics, etc.? Would you realize that 4 or 5 different kids from different teams may drill these transitional plays in totally different manners? ....nah, just bash it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There should have been evaluators not associated with the 2017 teams. It would be nice to see a legit tryout without the 2 main "evaluators" mentioned above inserting their BS and opinions. They are selfish self promotors...... we dont have to like it but we all have to deal with it.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is clear the tryouts were not done fairly and Brine should be made aware of this, as it tarnishes their reputation. It is also simple to fix - go back and look at the scores and re-pick the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It is clear the tryouts were not done fairly and Brine should be made aware of this, as it tarnishes their reputation. It is also simple to fix - go back and look at the scores and re-pick the team.

Add the past Nov 6th election to your statement as well and we'll see what kind of support you get.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There should have been evaluators not associated with the 2017 teams. It would be nice to see a legit tryout without the 2 main "evaluators" mentioned above inserting their BS and opinions. They are selfish self promotors...... we dont have to like it but we all have to deal with it.

The 2 main "evaluators" mentioned inserted their BS and opinions & they are selfish self promotors? Their opinions have proven to matter! they are freaking good at what they do! Self promoting? Their teams promote themselves. You can stand on the outside and be envious and jealous but, coming on here and calling them names and talking about their 13 year old sons is disgraceful. I guess you will continue doing this until your kid is good enough to catch their attention & then their opinions will matter, right?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are just dense!!! These are the best 20 boys period. Does not matter who wasn't there. Anyone would predict that if this group showed up at a tryout they would be selected. All the boys know them. If you insist that if 1 or 2 kids do not belong because they are a coach's son... So be it. But don't take away from the other 18 or 19 who earned a roster spot legitimately ..,.with talent. And no my son did not even make the call back list. He know all the names that did and is not in their league. So stop with the sour grapes and practice harder. The tryout was as fair as any. Get used it!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You guys are just dense!!! These are the best 20 boys period. Does not matter who wasn't there. Anyone would predict that if this group showed up at a tryout they would be selected. All the boys know them. If you insist that if 1 or 2 kids do not belong because they are a coach's son... So be it. But don't take away from the other 18 or 19 who earned a roster spot legitimately ..,.with talent. And no my son did not even make the call back list. He know all the names that did and is not in their league. So stop with the sour grapes and practice harder. The tryout was as fair as any. Get used it!!!

Isn't there another tryout next week for some spots on that team & to make another team? Can not imagine what craziness is going to be put up here after that!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was not there and am curious if its OK to name the coaches that did the evaluations. Intrigued if the names on the list of players is loaded with their players.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
I was not there and am curious if its OK to name the coaches that did the evaluations. Intrigued if the names on the list of players is loaded with their players.
Why would it not be OK to publish the names of the evaluators? As a matter of fact, if someone was asking my kid to tryout for anything, you could be pretty darn sure that I would want to know who was behind the evaluations before we would show up at the field.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What's the website with the roster? I googled Brine Middle School and could not locate anything with the try out results.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage
Why would it not be OK to publish the names of the evaluators? As a matter of fact, if someone was asking my kid to tryout for anything, you could be pretty darn sure that I would want to know who was behind the evaluations before we would show up at the field.

I was asking their names. On the site sometimes names being used is frowned upon.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go tell Brine- Inform them that this is so, because you claim that it is. Is it NOT LIKELY that these highly successful coaches, with the strongest teams, have the highest number of players rising to the top? Why do you not get it?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
- do you mean "the coaches with the strongest teams"? Are you wondering if THEY have the majority of the players making the team? That might not be so odd.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
- do you mean "the coaches with the strongest teams"? Are you wondering if THEY have the majority of the players making the team? That might not be so odd.

Let's face it the best teams might have 10-15 great players but the other 10 might be coaches son, friend of said coach, someone's son who donated or has some connections in some other field etc. It's all who you know.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Let's face it the best teams might have 10-15 great players but the other 10 might be coaches son, friend of said coach, someone's son who donated or has some connections in some other field etc. It's all who you know.
OK- you said so, so I guess I must "face it". This confirms it, such as when somebody says, "it's a fact".

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK- you said so, so I guess I must "face it". This confirms it, such as when somebody says, "it's a fact".

your point?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if there is a boys Nassau County spring PAL league for 8th graders or a league similar to the LISGYLL league for girls?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone know if there is a boys Nassau County spring PAL league for 8th graders or a league similar to the LISGYLL league for girls?

Yes - 7th - 8th and 7/8 combined

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

OK, I faced it...I had my son, who has played with/against all of these boys for years, look at the list of 20 boys picked. He felt all of them (including both coaches sons) are incredible players who should be on the team. Are there 1 or 2 that might be interchangable with 1 or 2 of the players called back for another tryout this weekend? Maybe. From what we are told, they are picking 5 more players & putting together another team. Great idea...maybe you guys from this site should do the evaluating for that team because you all sound very unbiased. Hahaha (that was a joke:) It's not all "who you know" Its how talented you are, how hard you work & catching the attention of a very good coach! Thats the lesson you should be teaching your children, not this ridiculousness!Please stop taking away from these VERY talented boys!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your saying the selections were completely unbiased. That must have been another joke haha. Yes all the boys selected are talented and worth the selection. Were there boys not selected who were better than some selected yes and it happens all the time. Really should have been a group of coaches with no affiliations doing the evaluations. This would eliminate all the BS associated with these types of selctions.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So your saying the selections were completely unbiased. That must have been another joke haha. Yes all the boys selected are talented and worth the selection. Were there boys not selected who were better than some selected yes and it happens all the time. Really should have been a group of coaches with no affiliations doing the evaluations. This would eliminate all the BS associated with these types of selctions.

who are these boys you are referring to/ defending? They are taking 5 more players, if they didn't make the top 20 then they should get out there sat morning and earn the spot.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really should have been a group of coaches with no affiliations doing the evaluations. This would eliminate all the BS associated with these types of selctions.

Using people who have no affiliations with the boys will create a different type of bias. Such as-

-bigger is immediately perceived as better
-A faster timed run is more imprtant than real field speed and angles
-a good driller over a good gamer

The best scenario is a coalition of coaches who collectively have seen all the candidates and can objectively evaluate every boy. None should have child as part of the evaluation

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone please name the evaluators that were at the Dec 1st event and if they will be the same ones at future events! I am curious.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is going back Saturday, he is for sure gonna make the the team. I made him a Turtle Helmet.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is going back Saturday, he is for sure gonna make the the team. I made him a Turtle Helmet.

Brilliant idea...teach your kid to be someone he's not. Have fun.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brilliant idea...teach your kid to be someone he's not. Have fun.

You are going to take that seriously?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

who are these boys you are referring to/ defending? They are taking 5 more players, if they didn't make the top 20 then they should get out there sat morning and earn the spot.

My son made it, two of his friends who should've made to top 20 have both been call back for the 5 spots. I really doubt either kid is going Saturday. Turned off, It's a shame because most know these two boys and they are respected by a lot of players in this highly talented 2017 group on long island.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
really, losen up Francis.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe if he was good enough to wear a Turtle helmet he would be good enough to make the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok Turtles are really really good, maybe one of the best teams to come out of LI in a long time. Have you ever heard guilty by association. In some cases it could be be talent by association and I think thats what this person is referring to with the comment about the helmet. Its also a joke like haaahaa.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok Turtles are really really good, maybe one of the best teams to come out of LI in a long time. Have you ever heard guilty by association. In some cases it could be be talent by association and I think thats what this person is referring to with the comment about the helmet. Its also a joke like haaahaa.

Agree. Excellent post, very accurate. Talent by Association, very true in regards to the brine stuff. I felt there wear 7 turtles players that deserve to be on the brine team. And they are, not 12 or 13 whatever the ridiculous number is. How about the former turtles wearing there old turtle helmets! Ha.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree. Excellent post, very accurate. Talent by Association, very true in regards to the brine stuff. I felt there wear 7 turtles players that deserve to be on the brine team. And they are, not 12 or 13 whatever the ridiculous number is. How about the former turtles wearing there old turtle helmets! Ha.

Wasn't there but heard about the selections. Who were the evaluators please anyone with that info it would be really appreciated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This process is no way perfect-- far from. These two boys should attend the callbacks and show their talents. If they make it good for them.
It is going to be unfortunate how mature adults "take apart" the kids who round out that roster.
This was poor planing by the event organizer. The current roster(Top 20)should have not been released unless it was the full 25 man roster. The organizer of this event should have thought of this more rather than promoting his event and telling everyone how many kids were there.
The callbacks should have been used for a second team if thats what is going to happen and not find the remaining 5 spots along with a second team.
The organizer not the evaluators dropped the ball.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son made it, two of his friends who should've made to top 20 have both been call back for the 5 spots. I really doubt either kid is going Saturday. Turned off, It's a shame because most know these two boys and they are respected by a lot of players in this highly talented 2017 group on long island.

Turned off?? It called facing adversity, a great lesson to be taught at tryouts like this, not giving up is the main one. Be a good friend and tell them to get their asses there and give it their best.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Turned off?? It called facing adversity, a great lesson to be taught at tryouts like this, not giving up is the main one. Be a good friend and tell them to get their asses there and give it their best.

Push them to go? Why, let them make up their own minds, i think they have the right attitude and applaud them for it. Let their parents help guide them to the best option for them.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If these boys who have been slighted go sat and make the next team , go down to Maryland do well and if all goes well they will play each other. Then all of you will find out which team is better.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Push them to go? Why, let them make up their own minds, i think they have the right attitude and applaud them for it. Let their parents help guide them to the best option for them.

Lets start off with the two boys who "should have made the top 20"...says who? I think my son should have made the top 20, (& his friends think so too) But that doesnt make it reality. Not going to the second tryout because they are "turned off"? That would never the right attitude. Try and try again, as they say. Lets face it, tryouts are never perfect. Everyone will never agree on who should evaluate during them. Should it be top coaches within the grade level who have seen all of these kids play or strangers who can only see talent @ a tryout? Again, give credit where it is due...these 20 boys are very talented. Could a couple have been overlooked? Yes but, get your butt to the call back and show em what your made of!

Like Reply Quote
Page 6 of 69 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 68 69
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard