Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 55 56
#179939 - 08/08/16 02:48 PM Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017  
TommyM Offline
Back of THE CAGE
TommyM  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

NY
It's the start of the Fall 2016/Spring 2017 season. Use this thread for your posts regarding this age group

BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#182111 - 08/22/16 02:33 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

has anyone noticed rising sophomores dropping out of their fall sport? maybe too small a sample but I have heard three lacrosse players (one committed and two not) not coming out for their fall sport. in one case the girl said not playing club soccer has her in the dog house with the coach this fall-- the coach is treating her like wood in favor of freshman that haven't ever played on the high school level apparently.

anyone seen this type of thing at your high school before or even this year??

#182122 - 08/22/16 03:03 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

there are many parents, like myself, who are big proponents of zeroing in on one sport you love at this age, for our kids. pick one... focus on that one sport thru high school. academics and three sports a year do not mix. there is a huge percentage of injuries and burnout and unhappiness with it becoming a time burden for girls this age who overdo it with multiple sports. just no reason for it really. another important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues.

#182135 - 08/22/16 03:45 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
there are many parents, like myself, who are big proponents of zeroing in on one sport you love at this age, for our kids. pick one... focus on that one sport thru high school. academics and three sports a year do not mix. there is a huge percentage of injuries and burnout and unhappiness with it becoming a time burden for girls this age who overdo it with multiple sports. just no reason for it really. another important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues.

Completely disagree with this post. Most top orthopedics believe that the increase in youth sports injuries is directly related to kids specializing in one sport and are proponents of playing multiple sports. School work I understand but if your kids grades decline during their chosen sport season then that is an issue.Do not know of many top high school athletes that only play one sport , particularly lacrosse.

#182154 - 08/22/16 04:58 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: TommyM]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many college coaches feel same way
Until you sign on dotted line anyway

Sponsored Links
#182161 - 08/22/16 05:36 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should take into account that your child may want to participate in multiple sports in order to socialize with their friends. They can concentrate on one sport to pursue at college level but can still participate in more. Not keeping up with their studies is a different story. School comes first.

#182207 - 08/23/16 05:46 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the high school coaches are driving the single sport trend as well. They seem completely aligned with the club people, always pushing the players to do every clinic, camp, offseason team, etc. maybe it's driven by wanting the best athletes playing only in their program? Or maybe it's the money.. The kids seem to be losing out either way.

#182223 - 08/23/16 07:22 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not going to spend the time trying to convince you because it sounds like your mind is made, but you couldn't be more wrong.

#182238 - 08/23/16 08:25 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agreed. I know from experience playing and coaching. But parents know better.

#182248 - 08/23/16 08:53 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many college coaches agree. Most want their recruits playing another varsity sport in HS. My daughter is a D1 commit and a 3 sport varsity athlete. She's also on the honor roll. Time management can occasionally be challenging, but college life will be too. She's also fortunate to not have to have a part time job during the school year like I did in high school. I think her HS experiences will prepare her well.

Sponsored Links
#182256 - 08/23/16 09:15 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many college coaches agree. Most want their recruits playing another varsity sport in HS. My daughter is a D1 commit and a 3 sport varsity athlete. She's also on the honor roll. Time management can occasionally be challenging, but college life will be too. She's also fortunate to not have to have a part time job during the school year like I did in high school. I think her HS experiences will prepare her well.

She should get a job. That's actually a more valuable life experience than the 3rd sport... I make that statement a bit tongue in cheek, but also as a way to prompt a little thinking. What your daughter is doing might be exactly right for her. But might not be exactly right for someone else. Ultimately, this is about passion for things, and everyone is different. Just as being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing, neither is being a three-sport athlete (or two or none). Each situation is different. Everyone seems to claim to know what's best for everyone else. They don't. In my daughter's particular situation, she could be a three-sport athlete, but chooses to play only two. She is committed to a top ten lax program, but also likes to participate in theater. So she takes one season off to be in a school play each year. If she said she no longer enjoyed sport two, and wanted to do something else, that would be fine too. It's their lives and they should pursue what makes them happy. As long my kids find their passions and work hard, I'm good with it. I have a couple that play sports, and a couple that don't. I'm proud of all of them.

#182266 - 08/23/16 09:59 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

She should get a job. That's actually a more valuable life experience than the 3rd sport... I make that statement a bit tongue in cheek, but also as a way to prompt a little thinking. What your daughter is doing might be exactly right for her. But might not be exactly right for someone else. Ultimately, this is about passion for things, and everyone is different. Just as being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing, neither is being a three-sport athlete (or two or none). Each situation is different. Everyone seems to claim to know what's best for everyone else. They don't. In my daughter's particular situation, she could be a three-sport athlete, but chooses to play only two. She is committed to a top ten lax program, but also likes to participate in theater. So she takes one season off to be in a school play each year. If she said she no longer enjoyed sport two, and wanted to do something else, that would be fine too. It's their lives and they should pursue what makes them happy. As long my kids find their passions and work hard, I'm good with it. I have a couple that play sports, and a couple that don't. I'm proud of all of them.

She does have a job - a summer job each year. And I totally agree that having a job in high school it is a very valuable lesson. She's certainly learned that spending money SHE earns is much different than spending mom's and dad's money. I do see your point though. Everyone's situation is different and being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing - unless the child wants to play other sports and is being convinced not to because of the need to "specialize". HS years go by in a flash - some of the best memories are made in after school activities whether it sports, theatre, clubs, etc.

#182280 - 08/23/16 10:50 AM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

She does have a job - a summer job each year. And I totally agree that having a job in high school it is a very valuable lesson. She's certainly learned that spending money SHE earns is much different than spending mom's and dad's money. I do see your point though. Everyone's situation is different and being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing - unless the child wants to play other sports and is being convinced not to because of the need to "specialize". HS years go by in a flash - some of the best memories are made in after school activities whether it sports, theatre, clubs, etc.

Well.....my daughter is gender fluid and playing with the HS boys football and lacrosse teams. She is a multisport, multi-gender player and this will make her tougher when she plays against the girls in college. I got it ALL covered

#182295 - 08/23/16 12:02 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope this entire post is sarcasm? The absolute worst thing a kid could do is become a one sport athlete. Orthopedists to coaches will tell you the same thing. We did it as kids in Jr High and HS and so should kids today, as long as their grades don't suffer of course.

#182308 - 08/23/16 01:39 PM Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017 [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hope this entire post is sarcasm? The absolute worst thing a kid could do is become a one sport athlete. Orthopedists to coaches will tell you the same thing. We did it as kids in Jr High and HS and so should kids today, as long as their grades don't suffer of course.

Really? The absolute worst thing a kid can do is play one sport??? I can think of a few other things worse. So you are saying a kid can't choose to play one sport and do other things with their time besides playing other sports? I hope you realize there are things besides sports. And poor little Michael Phelps, that one-sport athlete. He is such a loser.

Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 55 56

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament
JC17 Memorial Shootout for Dreams
New York Lacrosse Academy Boy's HS Showcase
LI Girl's Showcase
LI Boy's Showcase
CAMPS & CLINICS
Girl's Shooting & Dodging Clinic w/ U. of Oregon Coach Michelle Tumolo
NOTB Boy's Box Lacrosse Training