BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
It's the start of the Fall 2016/Spring 2017 season. Use this thread for your posts regarding this age group

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls 2019 - 10th Grade Fall 2016/ Summer 2017
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
has anyone noticed rising sophomores dropping out of their fall sport? maybe too small a sample but I have heard three lacrosse players (one committed and two not) not coming out for their fall sport. in one case the girl said not playing club soccer has her in the dog house with the coach this fall-- the coach is treating her like wood in favor of freshman that haven't ever played on the high school level apparently.

anyone seen this type of thing at your high school before or even this year??

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
there are many parents, like myself, who are big proponents of zeroing in on one sport you love at this age, for our kids. pick one... focus on that one sport thru high school. academics and three sports a year do not mix. there is a huge percentage of injuries and burnout and unhappiness with it becoming a time burden for girls this age who overdo it with multiple sports. just no reason for it really. another important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
there are many parents, like myself, who are big proponents of zeroing in on one sport you love at this age, for our kids. pick one... focus on that one sport thru high school. academics and three sports a year do not mix. there is a huge percentage of injuries and burnout and unhappiness with it becoming a time burden for girls this age who overdo it with multiple sports. just no reason for it really. another important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues.

Completely disagree with this post. Most top orthopedics believe that the increase in youth sports injuries is directly related to kids specializing in one sport and are proponents of playing multiple sports. School work I understand but if your kids grades decline during their chosen sport season then that is an issue.Do not know of many top high school athletes that only play one sport , particularly lacrosse.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Many college coaches feel same way
Until you sign on dotted line anyway

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You should take into account that your child may want to participate in multiple sports in order to socialize with their friends. They can concentrate on one sport to pursue at college level but can still participate in more. Not keeping up with their studies is a different story. School comes first.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think the high school coaches are driving the single sport trend as well. They seem completely aligned with the club people, always pushing the players to do every clinic, camp, offseason team, etc. maybe it's driven by wanting the best athletes playing only in their program? Or maybe it's the money.. The kids seem to be losing out either way.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not going to spend the time trying to convince you because it sounds like your mind is made, but you couldn't be more wrong.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Agreed. I know from experience playing and coaching. But parents know better.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many college coaches agree. Most want their recruits playing another varsity sport in HS. My daughter is a D1 commit and a 3 sport varsity athlete. She's also on the honor roll. Time management can occasionally be challenging, but college life will be too. She's also fortunate to not have to have a part time job during the school year like I did in high school. I think her HS experiences will prepare her well.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Many college coaches agree. Most want their recruits playing another varsity sport in HS. My daughter is a D1 commit and a 3 sport varsity athlete. She's also on the honor roll. Time management can occasionally be challenging, but college life will be too. She's also fortunate to not have to have a part time job during the school year like I did in high school. I think her HS experiences will prepare her well.

She should get a job. That's actually a more valuable life experience than the 3rd sport... I make that statement a bit tongue in cheek, but also as a way to prompt a little thinking. What your daughter is doing might be exactly right for her. But might not be exactly right for someone else. Ultimately, this is about passion for things, and everyone is different. Just as being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing, neither is being a three-sport athlete (or two or none). Each situation is different. Everyone seems to claim to know what's best for everyone else. They don't. In my daughter's particular situation, she could be a three-sport athlete, but chooses to play only two. She is committed to a top ten lax program, but also likes to participate in theater. So she takes one season off to be in a school play each year. If she said she no longer enjoyed sport two, and wanted to do something else, that would be fine too. It's their lives and they should pursue what makes them happy. As long my kids find their passions and work hard, I'm good with it. I have a couple that play sports, and a couple that don't. I'm proud of all of them.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She should get a job. That's actually a more valuable life experience than the 3rd sport... I make that statement a bit tongue in cheek, but also as a way to prompt a little thinking. What your daughter is doing might be exactly right for her. But might not be exactly right for someone else. Ultimately, this is about passion for things, and everyone is different. Just as being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing, neither is being a three-sport athlete (or two or none). Each situation is different. Everyone seems to claim to know what's best for everyone else. They don't. In my daughter's particular situation, she could be a three-sport athlete, but chooses to play only two. She is committed to a top ten lax program, but also likes to participate in theater. So she takes one season off to be in a school play each year. If she said she no longer enjoyed sport two, and wanted to do something else, that would be fine too. It's their lives and they should pursue what makes them happy. As long my kids find their passions and work hard, I'm good with it. I have a couple that play sports, and a couple that don't. I'm proud of all of them.

She does have a job - a summer job each year. And I totally agree that having a job in high school it is a very valuable lesson. She's certainly learned that spending money SHE earns is much different than spending mom's and dad's money. I do see your point though. Everyone's situation is different and being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing - unless the child wants to play other sports and is being convinced not to because of the need to "specialize". HS years go by in a flash - some of the best memories are made in after school activities whether it sports, theatre, clubs, etc.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

She does have a job - a summer job each year. And I totally agree that having a job in high school it is a very valuable lesson. She's certainly learned that spending money SHE earns is much different than spending mom's and dad's money. I do see your point though. Everyone's situation is different and being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing - unless the child wants to play other sports and is being convinced not to because of the need to "specialize". HS years go by in a flash - some of the best memories are made in after school activities whether it sports, theatre, clubs, etc.

Well.....my daughter is gender fluid and playing with the HS boys football and lacrosse teams. She is a multisport, multi-gender player and this will make her tougher when she plays against the girls in college. I got it ALL covered

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hope this entire post is sarcasm? The absolute worst thing a kid could do is become a one sport athlete. Orthopedists to coaches will tell you the same thing. We did it as kids in Jr High and HS and so should kids today, as long as their grades don't suffer of course.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hope this entire post is sarcasm? The absolute worst thing a kid could do is become a one sport athlete. Orthopedists to coaches will tell you the same thing. We did it as kids in Jr High and HS and so should kids today, as long as their grades don't suffer of course.

Really? The absolute worst thing a kid can do is play one sport??? I can think of a few other things worse. So you are saying a kid can't choose to play one sport and do other things with their time besides playing other sports? I hope you realize there are things besides sports. And poor little Michael Phelps, that one-sport athlete. He is such a loser.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Really? The absolute worst thing a kid can do is play one sport??? I can think of a few other things worse. So you are saying a kid can't choose to play one sport and do other things with their time besides playing other sports? I hope you realize there are things besides sports. And poor little Michael Phelps, that one-sport athlete. He is such a loser.

Actually he was a multi sport athlete in high school. Yes there are worse things a kid can do but you will struggle to find any top high school lacrosse player that does not play another sport. Go read the countless articles by orthopedic surgeons , have never read one that recommends playing 1 sport year round.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yea but lacrosse provides full rides!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are 100pct incorrect about Phelps. He only swam. He wanted to play football but his mother talked him out of it. And nobody said playing one sport year round. What they said was playing one sport, not three. And it is perfectly fine for a kid to play one sport in high school and pursue other non-athletic pursuits. And sorry, I know several collegiate athletes that did just that. I was one myself. I had other interests as well. It is often pressure from other coaches and parents that get the good athlete to play sports that they like less than the one they r passionate about. For some it's great, for others not. Not everyone wants to define themselves as only an athlete.

Actually he was a multi sport athlete in high school. Yes there are worse things a kid can do but you will struggle to find any top high school lacrosse player that does not play another sport. Go read the countless articles by orthopedic surgeons , have never read one that recommends playing 1 sport year round.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You completely missed the point of my post and the original post, but your wit and sarcasm at the end was cute, if not your reading comprehension. My point was....focusing on one sport and only playing that one sport all year round is a bad idea. I never said anything about not pursuing other interests. If your kid wants to only play one sport and takes a break from that sport while mixing in other interests (art, theater, etc.) more power to them. It's the one sport athlete, as the original post states (offseason leagues, camps, clinics, etc), that focuses all of their time and energy on that one sport that isn't good. The freaks of nature, Michael Phelps, aside. Get it now???

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
" You are 100pct incorrect about Phelps. He only swam." Your quote.

Because you responded like a tool I will treat you like one.
"When he entered Towson High School, Michael toyed with the idea of going out for football, and later played on the golf team" a quote from his biography , last I checked golf is a sport.

"important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues"
"And nobody said playing one sport year round"

I used two of your quotes here to show what a tool bag you are and thanks for telling us what a fantastic athlete you thought you were , again what a loser.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"When he entered Towson High School, Michael toyed with the idea of going out for football, and later played on the golf team" a quote from his biography , last I checked golf is a sport.

"important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues"

I used two of your quotes here to show what a tool bag you are and thanks for telling us what a fantastic athlete you thought you were , again what a loser.

"And later played on the golf team" ... yeah ok please. Quite the cross training genius with all the answers. And while he was on the golf team, he also swam every morning toolbag.

All the coaches pay lip service to the value of multi-sport athletes. And there is truth in it. But when it comes down to it, most are hypocrites and want high schoolers to have a stick in their hand year-round. Not to mention that injuries occur not just from over use, but from playing too many sports. How about the hockey player girl in our town (D1 commit) who decided to go out for lax and tore her ACL in pre-season? How'd that multi-sport attempt work out for her?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That story sounds blatantly made up.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"And later played on the golf team" ... yeah ok please. Quite the cross training genius with all the answers. And while he was on the golf team, he also swam every morning toolbag.

All the coaches pay lip service to the value of multi-sport athletes. And there is truth in it. But when it comes down to it, most are hypocrites and want high schoolers to have a stick in their hand year-round. Not to mention that injuries occur not just from over use, but from playing too many sports. How about the hockey player girl in our town (D1 commit) who decided to go out for lax and tore her ACL in pre-season? How'd that multi-sport attempt work out for her?

Your posts are so idiotic I am not convinced you actually believe what you are writing. Its funny that you think you know what most coaches believe and make up your own facts about kids playing too many sports, go look at the studies and the beliefs of the top orthopedic surgeons treating the kids with sport related injuries .Maybe the hockey girl tore her ACL because she was a one sport athlete prior to trying lacrosse you dope . Using one kid as an example to prove something is ridiculous. Its like saying playing one sport must make people stupid , just look at the example you are setting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your posts are so idiotic I am not convinced you actually believe what you are writing. Its funny that you think you know what most coaches believe and make up your own facts about kids playing too many sports, go look at the studies and the beliefs of the top orthopedic surgeons treating the kids with sport related injuries .Maybe the hockey girl tore her ACL because she was a one sport athlete prior to trying lacrosse you dope . Using one kid as an example to prove something is ridiculous. Its like saying playing one sport must make people stupid , just look at the example you are setting.

" Its like saying playing one sport must make people stupid"

How many did you play?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

" Its like saying playing one sport must make people stupid"

How many did you play?

None he was too busy hanging with your wife while you pursued your other interests with your fellow thespians.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status. Risks of early sports specialization include higher rates of injury . . . and quitting sports at a young age.”

How big is the risk of injury if you specialize in one sport? A Loyola University Chicago study of 1,200 youth athletes found that kids who specialized in one sport were 70 percent to 93 percent more likely to be injured than multi-sport athletes.That’s a lot.

Kids who specialize in one sport also get burned out. An Ohio State University study found that kids who played a single sport were more likely to quit their sport and be physically inactive as adults.

There are a ton of studies and articles published stating the benefits of being a multi sport athlete such as the above and virtually none extoling the virtues of being a " specialized' athlete.

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status. Risks of early sports specialization include higher rates of injury . . . and quitting sports at a young age.”

How big is the risk of injury if you specialize in one sport? A Loyola University Chicago study of 1,200 youth athletes found that kids who specialized in one sport were 70 percent to 93 percent more likely to be injured than multi-sport athletes.That’s a lot.

Kids who specialize in one sport also get burned out. An Ohio State University study found that kids who played a single sport were more likely to quit their sport and be physically inactive as adults.

There are a ton of studies and articles published stating the benefits of being a multi sport athlete such as the above and virtually none extoling the virtues of being a " specialized' athlete.

Study shmudy, his kid's getting a full ride.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BEFORE 13-14!! The discussion was around high school sports. You make yourself look foolish when you cite a study that actually supports the opposite position. Read it again ... "A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status." Implying that after age 13-14 (high school for most but maybe u started at 16?) to achieve elite status specialization actually could be important. Nice job genius.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BEFORE 13-14!! The discussion was around high school sports. You make yourself look foolish when you cite a study that actually supports the opposite position. Read it again ... "A study published in the journal Sports Health found that “for most sports, there is no evidence that intense training and specialization before [age 13 or 14] are necessary to achieve elite status." Implying that after age 13-14 (high school for most but maybe u started at 16?) to achieve elite status specialization actually could be important. Nice job genius.

It's actually comical what an absolute moron you are .The fact that you think the above implies that tells me you have no idea how a study is done . Feel bad for your kid that she has a father who clearly has a learning disability , cannot be easy on her .According to you the studies that show overweight kids in junior high tend to stay overweight as adults implies that overweight high school kids must tend to be thin adults .

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah, and studies that show smoking is bad for pre-teens imply that it is good for high school and college kids.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we move on from this nonsense?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we move on from this nonsense?

I don't see why--- it's been very educational.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah, and studies that show smoking is bad for pre-teens imply that it is good for high school and college kids.

Every study that addresses sports specialization has been done with regard to "early specialization" as defined as youth sports, as this one was. I get it tho, your daughter isn't very good at sports. It's ok. She should try the flute.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Every study that addresses sports specialization has been done with regard to "early specialization" as defined as youth sports, as this one was. I get it tho, your daughter isn't very good at sports. It's ok. She should try the flute.

Moving on ... Many spots already filled at the top schools. When does the next tier start ramping up? Is it fair to say that the vast majority of top 40 D1 programs will be done/almost done by spring high school season?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone on this site know if any 2019s have committed to Michigan?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure but I heard there may be a coaching change.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone on this site know if any 2019s have committed to Michigan?

Yes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How many 2019s commits does Michigan have at this point? Or how many 2019s do you know of who have committed?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CALL THE COACH AND FIND OUT

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Moving on ... Many spots already filled at the top schools. When does the next tier start ramping up? Is it fair to say that the vast majority of top 40 D1 programs will be done/almost done by spring high school season?

If you listen to people on this site you would think that all D1 recruiting is done before entering 10th grade. Having been to many schools and talked to many coaches that is not even remotely close to accurate, for a very small handful of the aggressive recruiting schools maybe. I was surprised by many coaches who only start recruiting in 10th. Don't let the people on this site scare you, plenty of oppurtunity exists later in the process. Your top 50 -100 recruits may go quick, but not everybody is in a rush to commit including many coaches.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard