BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,740
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 42 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 41 42
Re: Girls 2020-8th Grade Fall 2015 Summer 2016
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The fools-bet has been sold to parents by directors of the programs who will tell parents you MUST be in travel lax to play in college. While a agree with poster about maybe some folks playing to prepare for HS or to stay in lax shape, I still maintain that the overwhelmingly vast majority of parents/players are under the assumption that they will play college lax and get big $$ to do so.

The first problem with this is everyone, I mean every single kid that wants to play travel lacrosse can. When the top LI program has 4-5 teams in each age you know there are many that aren't "elite". So if travel lacrosse is essentially a walk on, how could you expect that you will get athletic money in college? Any girl that wants to play in college should be able to find a school that will give them a chance even if there isn't a scholarship attached to the offer. Get the academic money and then the athletic money isn't needed

Do you honestly believe that anyone on a 3/4/5 team is doing this for big athletic money? Nobody is selling those kids and parents dreams. As you said, essentially anyone who wants to play can find a team.

I call BS on this-- *nearly* every club has some sort of crap about recruiting tied to it... most of them in your face attempts at selling this idea for a ROI. Its a business and they need to sell you something.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by strongARM
The fools-bet has been sold to parents by directors of the programs who will tell parents you MUST be in travel lax to play in college. While a agree with poster about maybe some folks playing to prepare for HS or to stay in lax shape, I still maintain that the overwhelmingly vast majority of parents/players are under the assumption that they will play college lax and get big $$ to do so.

The first problem with this is everyone, I mean every single kid that wants to play travel lacrosse can. When the top LI program has 4-5 teams in each age you know there are many that aren't "elite". So if travel lacrosse is essentially a walk on, how could you expect that you will get athletic money in college? Any girl that wants to play in college should be able to find a school that will give them a chance even if there isn't a scholarship attached to the offer. Get the academic money and then the athletic money isn't needed

Do you honestly believe that anyone on a 3/4/5 team is doing this for big athletic money? Nobody is selling those kids and parents dreams. As you said, essentially anyone who wants to play can find a team.

I call BS on this-- *nearly* every club has some sort of crap about recruiting tied to it... most of them in your face attempts at selling this idea for a ROI. Its a business and they need to sell you something.

Our experience for the schools that can offer scholarships (not Ivys but they can offer generous financial aid), the scholarship offers range from 20-50% (very few get 50%). While it is not a full ride, 25/30/35/40% paid each year for everything (including books, etc.) can help particularly if it is a strong academic school and your kid loves lacrosse. Sports are not all about ROI. Kids play hopefully because they love to play and compete, and be with their friends and make new friends. If lacrosse can help leverage your kid into a better school than they could have gotten into otherwise (assuming it is a good fit), plus the kid gets a scholarship that pays 20-50% of all expenses, not too bad at all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by strongARM

Our experience for the schools that can offer scholarships (not Ivys but they can offer generous financial aid), the scholarship offers range from 20-50% (very few get 50%). While it is not a full ride, 25/30/35/40% paid each year for everything (including books, etc.) can help particularly if it is a strong academic school and your kid loves lacrosse. Sports are not all about ROI. Kids play hopefully because they love to play and compete, and be with their friends and make new friends. If lacrosse can help leverage your kid into a better school than they could have gotten into otherwise (assuming it is a good fit), plus the kid gets a scholarship that pays 20-50% of all expenses, not too bad at all.

You are correct but you sound like a 1st timer. Its not all waterfalls and sunsets. These coaches own these kids 4-6 hours a day so they should be getting some significant scholarship. Do the research, most D1 athletes spend almost double the time on their sport than they do their studies. Its a job and much of the college experience is lost except for the incredible close bond they will form with their teammates.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting how the Crush castaways are now outperforming the kids under JS protection. Without 3 players, the majority of the kids on that team who don't come off are not difference makers. This is becoming more evident! Karma!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting how the Crush castaways are now outperforming the kids under JS protection. Without 3 players, the majority of the kids on that team who don't come off are not difference makers. This is becoming more evident! Karma!

Get on the correct thread you dope.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MORE LIKE A DUFUS!

quote=Anonymous]Interesting how the Crush castaways are now outperforming the kids under JS protection. Without 3 players, the majority of the kids on that team who don't come off are not difference makers. This is becoming more evident! Karma! [/quote]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Question...How much is a solid travel LAX team per year?

I keep reading its cheaper than hockey or soccer. but Im not so sure thats true.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I keep reading its cheaper than hockey or soccer. but Im not so sure thats true.

For s top soccer club probably 8-10K year vs summer lax 3K all in. Soccer clubs are also training and playing all year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For s top soccer club probably 8-10K year vs summer lax 3K all in. Soccer clubs are also training and playing all year.

STOP! first, there are just a handful of girls that play top level soccer unlike lacrosse where we all travel every weekend. A soccer team that practices 2x per week for 12 weeks in fall spring and 1x per week winter will run each player about $300 + $100 for an indoor league + 4 tournaments at $40 = $560 plus a registration of around $250 only extra would be if the team travels out of state for tournaments. For a year round soccer team its $1,000 or less for 95% of kids.

Lacrosse has gone the way of Skiing and Golf. It's a rich families game

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LMAO...are you nuts?

My daughter plays soccer for one of the top teams on LI and its about $1200 per year for training. Then you pay for the 3-4 tournaments which is like $75. Your numbers are wayyy off.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
LMAO...are you nuts?

My daughter plays soccer for one of the top teams on LI and its about $1200 per year for training. Then you pay for the 3-4 tournaments which is like $75. Your numbers are wayyy off.

Every sport is less expensive than hockey (ice time is costly) but soccer can be very expensive.. My son played on a top 10 team in the country and we spent 10+K a year.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Larry we are not comparing apples to apples. That 10k was mostly travel costs, correct? I'm sure LAX teams that go away every weekend for tournaments are in same boat. But many do not. Why go away when LI is the hot bed of lax.

B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Larry we are not comparing apples to apples. That 10k was mostly travel costs, correct? I'm sure LAX teams that go away every weekend for tournaments are in same boat. But many do not. Why go away when LI is the hot bed of lax.

I didn't even really count all of the travel costs. When you are #1 in the USA, you practice 4 times a week. My son is a keeper, so add that training in as well. We were all over the country too and had a team bus. It was a lot of money BUT guess what... we would do it all over again. Can't put a price on the bonding it created AND my son was way too busy to get into trouble with his friends. There honestly was no downside.. You can't do these things and worry about money.. For us, it wasn't about that at all.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]LMAO...are you nuts?

Not talking about some town travel team. The 8-10k was for a top level (Acedemy ) club.
There is no comparison between the two. The financial, time and travel commitment makes driving down the NJ Tnpk for three weekends a dream.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Larry LarryMiller

I didn't even really count all of the travel costs. When you are #1 in the USA, you practice 4 times a week. My son is a keeper, so add that training in as well. We were all over the country too and had a team bus. It was a lot of money BUT guess what... we would do it all over again. Can't put a price on the bonding it created AND my son was way too busy to get into trouble with his friends. There honestly was no downside.. You can't do these things and worry about money.. For us, it wasn't about that at all.

CONGRATS!!! your son was a top 1 percenter that's awesome and i'm jelous, for the bottom 95% is probably around $1,000 for a full year of soccer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I couldn't agree more. My daughter plays travel lax and is committed to a D1 school. My son plays travel baseball. It costs a few thousand dollars a year, but we feel fortunate that its within our budget for them to do so. They are both very busy with sports between practice, extra training and games and have a lot less time to just hang out or watch Netflix. The time spent with our kids and the people we've met (most are great although we've come across a bad apple or two) and the memories we've made are all worth it.

B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

CONGRATS!!! your son was a top 1 percenter that's awesome and i'm jelous, for the bottom 95% is probably around $1,000 for a full year of soccer

I seriously doubt that. All clubs have their registration costs and teams train and play all over. No sport is $1,000.00

There is also no reason for you to get snippy..

B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

I couldn't agree more. My daughter plays travel lax and is committed to a D1 school. My son plays travel baseball. It costs a few thousand dollars a year, but we feel fortunate that its within our budget for them to do so. They are both very busy with sports between practice, extra training and games and have a lot less time to just hang out or watch Netflix. The time spent with our kids and the people we've met (most are great although we've come across a bad apple or two) and the memories we've made are all worth it.

Totally agree.. My son was on the same team from age 11 through college. We developed a lot of friendships and continue to nurture them. The closeness that it creates can not be measured as anything but priceless.. AND, you can't do it hoping for full rides in college either.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can compare both sports currently at the same time, got a kid doing each. Both on very good, high level teams. Soccer is much more expensive for the organized leagues and training, monthly club fees, and a touch less travel expense than lacrosse. In the end I say soccer is more expensive because the clubs are more organized and have their hand in your pocket more often than the lacrosse, but lax is catching up. And why go away when LI is the hotbed? Because my daughters team would never lose a game if they stayed on LI. Good teams from the rest of the east coast do not come to LI tournaments period.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So answer the question. How much is your kids travel soccer, per year?

I can compare both sports currently at the same time, got a kid doing each. Both on very good, high level teams. Soccer is much more expensive for the organized leagues and training, monthly club fees, and a touch less travel expense than lacrosse. In the end I say soccer is more expensive because the clubs are more organized and have their hand in your pocket more often than the lacrosse, but lax is catching up. And why go away when LI is the hotbed? Because my daughters team would never lose a game if they stayed on LI. Good teams from the rest of the east coast do not come to LI tournaments period.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here are some costs that would cover about 85% of all li soccer teams-
24 sessions fall
16 sessions winter
24 sessions spring
64 total sessions x $125 session / 18 kids = $444 per kid for training

$250 for registration
$125 for winter league
4 tournaments at $40 = $160

Grand Total for a motivated team is $979 plus add in a hotel if you go away 1x per year

So if you budget $1,200 you are pretty close

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MORE LIKE A DUFUS!

quote=Anonymous]Interesting how the Crush castaways are now outperforming the kids under JS protection. Without 3 players, the majority of the kids on that team who don't come off are not difference makers. This is becoming more evident! Karma!
[/quote]

Dufus? So you never made a mistake? I guess you and your daughter are committed to top school with a full ride? Otherwise shut your stupid pompous mouth! My kid is already more than you or yours can ever hope to be!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So answer the question. How much is your kids travel soccer, per year?

The bare minimum in my kids soccer gets you practice and training 1 to 3 times per week depending on time of year, entry into a spring and fall league, both of which requires travel off the island. The cost of that is just shy of $3K. Any summer league or winter league is extra and most tournaments are extra. Plus any clinics which are optional, plus travel and accommodations. Lax the bare minimum is practice in spring and summer, 5 or 6 tournaments to pay for, think it adds up to about just shy of $2k. Again any winter training or league or whatever is extra and travel and accommodations are extra. So again, soccer is more expensive and they typically stay more busy as a team soaking up all those optional activities $$$$$$. Soccer is about 5 to 10 years ahead of lax in established ways to drain your bank account. You can play on much less expensive teams for both soccer and lacrosse, not talking local travel team here for either sport. Soccer calls these teams premier, lacrosse calls them elite, I call them expensive.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MORE LIKE A DUFUS!

quote=Anonymous]Interesting how the Crush castaways are now outperforming the kids under JS protection. Without 3 players, the majority of the kids on that team who don't come off are not difference makers. This is becoming more evident! Karma!

Dufus? So you never made a mistake? I guess you and your daughter are committed to top school with a full ride? Otherwise shut your stupid pompous mouth! My kid is already more than you or yours can ever hope to be![/quote]

[mic drop]

Going from posting in the wrong forum to attacking someone's kid, along with such a command of the language... you are really shinning now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot less long island chest thumping than usual this summer

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay lets try to rank the teams then

1)M&D , YJ Curcio I will give it a tie as they both have won and lost to each other in both full games and short games and are always close.
2) Heroes , seem willing to always play against the best competition
3) skywalker
4) integrity
5) Legacy need to beat the top teams and need to play a tougher schedule

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1)M&D , YJ Curcio I will give it a tie as they both have won and lost to each other in both full games and short games and are always close.
3) skywalker
4) integrity

Integrity beat both Heroes Green and Skywalkers pretty soundly the last time they played this past spring, but probably lost some poll points for going to The Grind and Project 120 instead of G8 and Lax for the Cure (altho they won both the tournaments they went to)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1 win does not make u steller. Integrity nice try. i would go with the poll. flip flop 4 and 3. it is always a war when m & d YJ Curcio and Heros Green play each other. integrity should play YJ Curcio, M&nd and win a couple meaning more than 1 of those games, or stay close then you can sit at the big girls table. Next we are going to hear checkhers Elite belongs in the discussion.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1 win does not make u steller. Integrity nice try. i would go with the poll. flip flop 4 and 3. it is always a war when m & d YJ Curcio and Heros Green play each other. integrity should play YJ Curcio, M&nd and win a couple meaning more than 1 of those games, or stay close then you can sit at the big girls table. Next we are going to hear checkhers Elite belongs in the discussion.

Integrity did play Curcio , close game but lost , I put Integrity at 4 because they do not play a very competitive summer schedule

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Integrity did play Curcio , close game but lost , I put Integrity at 4 because they do not play a very competitive summer schedule

I agree with Integrity being at 3. They've proven they belong at the big girls table, just not at the head of the table. They are a very strong, fast, well-disciplined team.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Word on the street. Legacy teal girl is at Maryland rocking on. To the point all the coaches are talking to her.... Watch out

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3) skywalker
4) integrity

Integrity beat both Heroes Green and Skywalkers pretty soundly the last time they played this past spring, but probably lost some poll points for going to The Grind and Project 120 instead of G8 and Lax for the Cure (altho they won both the tournaments they went to)

Skywalkers? They couldn't even compete at Nat Draw and there were no teams worth mentioning at the tournament

Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

I agree with Integrity being at 3. They've proven they belong at the big girls table, just not at the head of the table. They are a very strong, fast, well-disciplined team.

Saying stuff like this "the big girls table" is akin to saying "I'm a tremendous loser". 13 year olds my friend, 13 year old girls lax.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Word on the street. Legacy teal girl is at Maryland rocking on. To the point all the coaches are talking to her.... Watch out

...signed, teal girl's dad.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just an odd statement to make. (the original post)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

...signed made no sense

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Watch out for what or who?? That's a stupid comment. If the kid is good and the coaches are talking to her that's great. But I don't think anyone needs to "watch out"

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just an odd statement to make. (the original post)

Seems like every move a few of these 2020's make they are being watched first it was the UNC Commit comment by someone regarding the YJ kid that went to UNC camp and now this one. Why don't you people just leave these girls alone and stop reporting on their every moves, Can't these girls just go to a camp and have a really good time without you people drawing conclusions and conspiracy theories.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Watch out for what or who?? That's a stupid comment. If the kid is good and the coaches are talking to her that's great. But I don't think anyone needs to "watch out"

Original poster here.. Ok bad choice of words with the watch out comment. I was just reporting the happenings as my kid is also at this camp and thought it was interesting to share.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dad of YJ kid that went to UNC camp needs to stop trying to draw attention - no one cares

Page 35 of 42 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard