Originally Posted by Anonymous
I would be curious how they assign different refs to games. I noticed some of the refs ,at least in the elite games, are the same guys I see at some MIAA games. Do the best refs get the elite games and so on? Of all the games I saw I can only remember walking away from one or two thinking the refs did well (I was pleasantly surprised after the Hawks v FCA game earlier this year as an example). Do they use HOCO as a training ground for high school refs? It feels like that should be what rec leagues are for.
It is frustrating to watch refs who clearly don't know the rules. However, I'm not sure the are as many Lacrosse refs as you think. You need to remember that these are middle school kids. These games don't matter one bit. With that, where else would be a better training ground? They don't use NCAA rules in rec or public high schools, like they do in the MIAA and college.

Besides, if you think these guys are bad, we all watched the NCAA Tournament refs miss calls this weekend even with the use of replay!