Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any advice for parents (my friends) of a 2018 middie who wants to play in college and has good grades, in terms of sorting through the various Summer showcases and how to position himself for Fall showcases? I know invites to the big ones have come and gone (Black Card, JR Blue Chip, Maverick Showtime).

At 5'9", not D1 size (unless he's moved to attack), but he's an extremely good player. Non-hotbed. Loves his travel team, but, although they talk the talk, we know enough that their tournaments aren't really recruiting tournaments. We are on a budget, so don't want to send him to worthless showcases due to our ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

One son who was a D1 commit this past fall.

I would echo the last posters comments. Email correspondence with your schools of choice is key, especially with video. My son did all the big showcases and plays for a very good club team with a supportive coach and a very good high school team with a great coach. The school he is committed to showed interest after he sent video and emailed. Club and high school coach followed up and the school showed interest. We went to prospect day and my son had a great day and three days later we got an email from his high school coach saying they wanted him there for a visit. Long story short, he went on the visit, sat with the coaches and decided to commit to the school. Best advice I can give you is avoid the money grab camps, dont discount the mid to lower ranked D1 schools and also dont discount D3 as well. Some great lacrosse being played at the higher end of D3 and there are some very good academic schools as well. Biggest thing is to take advantage of every opportunity in front of the coaches. Best of luck......

At this age, now the top players have comitted, this is phase 3. 1 and 2 were the last 2 summers. You now must target the schools your son wants to go (over play for) and go to those Propect days. Follow up those Propect days with video. Lotsa opportunity out there, but the coaches are less likely to notice your son while sitting under a folding chair at showcase. The showcase coaches are more focused on the 19s and 20s. That's my opinion as I have a 2018er that is uncommitted. Right now he is trying to decide between D2 and 3, but looking more at the college experience.

REALLY!! "At this age," the top players have committed? Says who?

Recruiting Rundown ranked the top players in the class and most are committed.