recruiting--haven't typed here in a while but will share my long winded thoughts. No snarky responses required...

I do not think there is one best answer or one best option. People keep asking do I need to have the big club, which tournament, which showcase, prospect days...

all any of us can do is put our boys in the best possible position and there are many ways to accomplish. I don't think big club experience is a requirement, but let's all be clear that it certainly doesn't hurt. Why do you think the college coaches line the sidelines of 91/express/crab/all the top clubs/ games? Because they think that they have the best shot of seeing the most talent when the best teams are playing, makes sense from their perspective and is basic time management. Go where the odds of finding a player to fit your team are the highest.

That doesn't mean that they won't find other boys on other fields where the top teams aren't playing, it just means that because they have limited time to recruit, they are trying to see as much as possible in that time. So, if I was in their shoes, would I travel to some small tourny to potentially see that one kid, or would I travel to the big team tourny to potentially see many kids...

That said, I would stay away from B teams on these big clubs as they will certainly not put you in a position to get noticed and even if they do get to the "right " tourny, those college coaches will always want to know why you are not playing on the A team...

One thing that worked for us (and we have big team experience) tell the coaches of the schools that your son thinks are a good fit, here is my highlight film I am playing at these three tournaments this summer and would love a chance for you to see me play. Follow through and follow up. If they have a prospect camp, make sure you go and before you get their send an email saying --i am really excited to attend your camp next week. can't wait to meet you and here is my gpa through 9th grade. I want to be an engineer and your school has a great program...

No matter what anyone says, unless your are the one in a million athlete, it is hard to get noticed. If your son is that one in a million kid--everyone already knows you and him and it doesn't matter where you play. If he is not that kid, you need to be proactive. Hoping that your kid that gets a few minutes on varsity as a 10th grader gets noticed, is a long shot, of course, his odds are better if he is getting those minutes on one of the big name lax schools--sme, smw , wm, garden city, syosset, pequa, wi... But if he is getting minutes at bayshore or longwood, coaches not nearly as likely of finding him.

So, spend your time and your dollars wisely by focusing on the schools where you have the right grades and the right environment for your boys. Not spending alot of time on harvard if your kid is a solid B student. Not spending alot of time looking at Holy Cross if you cant afford the tuition and won't get financial aid.

Spend your time and resources the same way the college coaches do--understanding your son and his brains and athletic ability, your pocketbook and the odds of success at any particular school.

Understand who else is already committed to that school-if you are a fogo or a goalie, spending time on a school that already committed one in your age is probably not the right approach...

And after doing all of the above, I know several boys that didn't get committed, after they got over it, they picked up the stick and their college of choice and joined the club team at that school and are having the time of their lives without the 40 hour work week required to play d-1, high level d-2 or d3...

For all you parents, enjoy this time because it is coming to an end quickly. If it all works out for your son great, congratulations, but don't put more pressure on these kids. This is a sport with no future earning potential and limited scholarship dollars. Have fun, always remember that is why they picked up the stick to begin with...