Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any advice for parents (my friends) of a 2018 middie who wants to play in college and has good grades, in terms of sorting through the various Summer showcases and how to position himself for Fall showcases? I know invites to the big ones have come and gone (Black Card, JR Blue Chip, Maverick Showtime).

At 5'9", not D1 size (unless he's moved to attack), but he's an extremely good player. Non-hotbed. Loves his travel team, but, although they talk the talk, we know enough that their tournaments aren't really recruiting tournaments. We are on a budget, so don't want to send him to worthless showcases due to our ignorance.

Thanks in advance.

One son Playing high D3 the other D1 Commit.
First thing is to get some quality video together, this is a place to use your resources. Make sure you show him shooting on the run, getting down the allies left and right if he has that footage. Very important skill for a college middie. Time and room shot are less important. Also any dodges from behind are great too. Also show some good defensive plays and finally, plays that show his speed.
Next, target the schools he wants to go to. Cast a wide net, it's not easy to earn a spot. Start emailing Coaches with your interest in those schools. Include video on every email. Coaches watch video. Let the coaches know your schedule and where you'll be playing.
Have your travel or HS Coach reach out to your top targets on his behalf. If he's as good as you say, they should have no problem doing this for him.
After all this, hopefully you have 5 or 6 schools that are interested. These are the schools who's prospect days you should attend. Hopefully they have seen your video, talked to you, your son or his coach. They should know he's going to be there. Attending cold is a crap shoot at best.
This is the road map I used for both my boys, we had the advantage of playing on good travel teams at high level events. Mine also did top camps. That being said, I think it can be done the way I said above. If he's really good, don't discount some D1 programs. Speed and skill trump all!
Hope that helps...

Great advice - what is the time table for the High D3's with respect to verbal commitments? Summer between Sophomore and Junior year? Thanks

Typically summer from Junior to Senior year, although because there is no restriction on contact for D3, the process can start a little sooner. The better academic D3s will want GPAs and test scores so going into senior year gives them a more complete picture.