The entire argument is silly. the people who held their kids back in first grade because their kid needed more time to mature are clearly different than kids being held back in 8th grade to make certain the kid can make the prep team. 1st grader hold backs happen with lots of interaction with teachers based upon the child's ability to socially and academically meet the standards the state puts in place.

A parent that decides to do the same thing for an advantage in sports is cheating and justifies it by saying it happens in sports...They argue that speed is also an advantage? Really?

You all know who you are and you also know deep down, what you are doing is not fair. After a few cocktails and a conversation with the prep school coaches, you can justify anything, but in your heart of hearts, you know you are cheating and should be ashamed.

for those 1st grade hold backs, I don't have one, but if I did I would feel differently. You should be able to sleep fine because the decision you made was not to game the system, but to allow your child to be on equal footing mentally.

best of luck to all.