Originally Posted by Anonymous
Don't any of you people know what red-shirting is??????

yes we also know what cheating is? Redshirting is for college not youth sports.

Your naive about the sport if you're making this comment. In our area, LI, the school cutoff date is Dec 1. So you're saying if a parent decides to have their child repeat a grade that was born sept, oct, nov that that's cheating? They will STILL Be younger than others outside of LI. For example MD, where their cutoff date is Sept 1? And not to mention that many parents in Md often opt to hold their kids back or start late. Add on top of that a redshirt or pg year and you have the Pannell Syndrome - an almost 25 yr old senior. Did he cheat? Well all I know is that he won the tewarrton. So I would say do the best for your child an stop worrying about things you have no control over and do something with those that you do!!5yxyeR

First off, isn't Pannell only 23 not 25. A late birthday (Dec), did a PG year and got Medically redshirted (technically left school however you want to call it since ivy's donot allow 5h yr seniors).

Second, Pannell is not the norm. He PG'd after HS, he did not get held back in 3rd grade. Then got hurt in College . (all after HS where physical maturity "should" be a level field)

Now, I fully understand about the late birthdates (whether sept-dec) as my prior post outlines that. I also understand what people are doing. But, mysteriously players with birthdates Jan - Aug who have started kindergarten with the "age-mates" have been held back (not for academic reasons). As the case is to be rumored on a few highly touted 2020 teams.

And now you suggest those players who are already old for their grade get held back again. What are we in texas or florida and the players have a shot at the NFL. What is the end game here.

So to me... IMO... if a late 3rd qtr birthday who is already old for their grade then gets held back a year they should not play grade ball, of course there are issues that may make this an unusual situation like illness or injury, but in usual healthy child (who I assume is since he is playing summer travel lax) it should not be allowed.

I can see (don't agree with) the agreement of a hold back in 8th, but we are taking pre middle schoolers being held back to gain an athletic advantage? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS IS WRONG

----------------------------------------

I believe rob pannell was born dec 11 1989 which means he's turning 25. So he was a 24 yr old college senior. If he entered into school at the appropriate time he should have graduated college in 2011. But because he pged then gamed the ivy system maintaining eligibility he added 2 years to his timeline. I would think it will be very difficult if not impossible for these younger 4th graders to compete as 17 yr old college freshman against 23 yr old men.

Please learn how to use the site. Don't creep in someone else's blog. Write after you see the "[quote]" please. if not it is hard to distinguish one comment from another.

If he was born in Jan -Oct of 1989 he would be 24. But since he is Dec he still is 23.

2013 -1989 = 24 (but only if he already had a birthday in 2013); which he did not!