Originally Posted by Anonymous
I agree, club did nothing for my daughter but attending showcases and prospect clinics opened a ton of doors. If I had to do it all over again I would say have your child attend tournaments that have "open teams" and let the coaches if the svhools you're interested in know what games you will be playing. Attend every showcase you can, and contact schools where you would like to play. Use the money you saved from club ball for a few private lessons, and run-they look for speed.

Not sure any HS coaches have pull with the top showcases unless the coaches are affiliated with a top club as well.

Sad but I think true.

Unless your kid comes from a top tier HS, how exactly will they get into the top showcases??? If your not on a top club team on the boys side, you will not get a direct invite to the major Showcases. The only other way in in is from a well connected proactive HS coach. Many could care less... Not part of any club, but to discount what the club has done for my son in this process is just silly. For the boys side it is bad advise... Unless you're with a lower tier club, in that case I agree with you.

Do you really think if a top 20 ranked HS coach calls the Director of one of these showcases and says "I have a stud who needs to be this showcase" they won't do it? Of course they will. The HS Coach will have more credibility than a club coach given that the event wants top talent and it is presumed that the HS coaches motivation is more "pure" and free from financial issues with the player he's advocating for.

Yes, I think they will not do it.

What HS Coaches are not trying to cash in on the summer $$$$.

Garden City, Syosset, Sachem, Smithtown, Ward Melville ?? Please tell us.

What if the boy plays for a Travel Club, will the High School Coach still make the call for the boy?? After all, the boy does play for the High School Team. Last time I checked, no boy skips High School Lacrosse to play for a Club Team. Does the HS coach only call for the kids who play for his town summer team?