Originally Posted by Anonymous
These showcases may not be recruiting camps but they are undenieably a major step in confirming the top 2017 players. Let's face it, were there really any kids that came out of nowhere and were "discovered" last weekend or at Brine in the Fall? If you were paying attention to the sidelines, I think it is quite apparent that the directors of the club programs know all of the standouts (and their parents!) in every position throughout Nassau & Suffolk. I'm pretty certain that the Jake Reed roster will have very few (if any) unknown players from the island. Club and Showcase directors will start comparing notes with college coaches as early as this summer and the buzz begins. It's the Circle of Lax.

So the question again becomes...Is it necessary to go down to Florida to a showcase in the 8th grade? If what you are saying is true "Jake Reed roster will have very few (if any) unknown players from the island", then why would you go? I am seriously asking this question. This is my first "Lax Kid" & we are trying to figure out what is & is not necessary.

they went as this is the first year that rising freshman are being included and it is the only way they are screening this relativel unseen lax population for inclusion into the final 120 in the summer.

So, if your son did not go to Florida he will not be invited to JR summer camp?

correct, as far as 2017's go. there is no limitation to which region you apply from...there is another (last one this weekend)...not sure if it is too late to apply and the recommendation had to have come from your son's coach.

I have heard that there are several LI kids going down from the NE region this weekend instead of haveing been in the mid-atlantic region this past weekend so as to minimize the competition they would be facing...(kind of a back door sneak in IMO)...why not go up against the kids from your own region?