BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,814
Posts387,803
Members2,608
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 70 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 69 70
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2013/Summer 2014
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is also a Univ of Maryland prospect camp weekend after UNC one. I do not know how many other coaching staffs if any will be there. Hope that is helpful.

And remember, don't feed the LI parental animals.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
There is also a Univ of Maryland prospect camp weekend after UNC one. I do not know how many other coaching staffs if any will be there. Hope that is helpful.

And remember, don't feed the LI parental animals.

Also, Harvard prospect day for 60 2016s and 2017s combined on January 19th.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryland has had a couple already? I expect after these two camp's a lot if the school's will start making offers.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Villanova 1/11.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fairfield 2/9

GREAT UP AND COMING PROGRAM. VERY AGGRESSIVE COACH. WATCH THIS SCHOOL.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maryland has had a couple already? I expect after these two camp's a lot if the school's will start making offers.

Maryland has done a few camps, but they have been stuff like dodging/shooting clinics. UMD has been more organized and has made more offerings to do these instructional things than other universities I am aware of. Good for business, and it also attracts kids preening for looks, so works out well for all. But their formal prospect camp is in January weekend after the UNC one. UMD has also been a lot less frantic on the early recruiting side, and that might not be a bad thing. UNC and UVA will soon fill up, and there are tons of great players everywhere to look at at I believe it is impossible for UVA or UNC to go on believing they have evaluated the playing field. Another clutch point to remember is that the West Coast Starz / Adrenaline guys are mostly ex-UMD players and have earned the coaches's ears at UMD. Along with Duke, I think UMD is the major program here that really does look for players in Texas, Chicago, Colorado, Florida and California before getting convinced the best are just the I-695 Baltimore to Towson drag exit kids. Look...every kid in Baltimore dreams of playing at Hop or UMD, but these two programs are taking a very different tack. Petro is sold on basically being Boys' Latin in drag and that is not a bad thing since that school is a lax factory producing very very good players consistently. UMD is not like that. Those coaches are very much of a mind they can find great players in San Diego, Dallas, etc. and just don't want to sign locals and call it a day. Hop is a great school, a better school than UMD. But if we are just talking lacrosse, look at what UMD has done in recent 3-5 years against Hop, and the results speak for themselves. UMD is doing it right and if there is room at their prospect day I would urge anyone to attend.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interesting post on Maryland and Hopkins.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi All,
I just spent the last few days reading this thread and it's been informative and interesting.

As a dad from CT who admits to being out of the loop, I am feeling a bit defeated before I ever got to the game. My son is a 14 year old 2017, 5-10, 170. I would consider him a late bloomer in lacrosse, but now has the fire in the belly for lax. He played summer club for the first time in 2013. He played HS football in the fall. I am reading about all these invite only showcases and I am wondering how you get invited? I feel like he should have played fall ball in order to even have a chance. Do any of your sons play second sports?
Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All College prospect camps are open to all. You just have to find them and sign up before they fill up. Colleges send the information to the kids they have on the radar, but the camp is open to all. Go to the web site of the colleges you like and find the camp link or just goggle it . Figure 600 Boys will go division 1 only 25 have verbals, ton of spots, not to mention D 2 & 3.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Rutgers Prospect Day - 1/12/14

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info, but how are kids already on the radar without playing HS? I know I'm late to the race but I feel my son now, even compared to summer, is a totally different player. Just having a season of HS Football conditioning and practice and JV/Varsity play has made him a better athlete physically and mentally.

It seems like if you don't go to the two showcases this summer everyone has been mentioning it's over before it started...

Is it the club coach that we need to lean on a bit? The HS coach doesn't even know him yet.
Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Club Team is big. Turtles, 91, Express, Dukes, Crabs all go to top level tournaments. Many of the top level Tournaments have College Coaches.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another UNC commit. Was a 2016 in Texas, taking a PG year and will count in 2017 class. FOGO/M. At this rate, UNC will fill their 2017 class by early summer (or earlier). Crazy stuff.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info, but how are kids already on the radar without playing HS? I know I'm late to the race but I feel my son now, even compared to summer, is a totally different player. Just having a season of HS Football conditioning and practice and JV/Varsity play has made him a better athlete physically and mentally.

It seems like if you don't go to the two showcases this summer everyone has been mentioning it's over before it started...

Is it the club coach that we need to lean on a bit? The HS coach doesn't even know him yet.
Thanks

I don't want to sound like a jerk (I am one but don't want to sound like one) but if your 9th grader who played jv/varsity football is a potential early commit D1 player then your HS coach has to know who he is. My HS coach can talk at length about 5th and 6th graders in his program. even if it is a private school and he is new to the school if he is a potential "UNC,UVA or Hopkins" kid I am sure the HS coach knows him and if not call him up and introduce yourself and then discuss recruiting camps with him.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Jerk. Jk
Well I don't think he is an early recruit. A chance to play somewhere would be nice. I just feel like we missed something along the way. Lacrosse isn't as ingrained in the culture here.
I am going to talk with the new coach but again it seems like we should have been talking months ago before he even started HS. Even if I thought of this it would not have been possible because we didn't know who the coach was going to be. Doesn't matter now anyway. According to all the earlier posts, invites are already out.
What happened to HS?
Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CT Dad,
You're not behind, the bus did not leave. If you are in Fairfield Co, look into Eclipse. New program, but they are already very solid and have fabulous coaches. If you are with a good club team and going to the main Summer tournaments to play against other strong club teams, the college coaches will be there.

Showcases I think are fading. If you are a California or Texas kid, I can see in being crisis mode to get to JR or to Maverick Showtime but there are other venues to go for. You can sign your son up for Under Armour or Brine regional all star team tryouts for those Summer events without a nomination. The best route are prospect days at the schools your son is particularly interested in, and often there are other college coaches at them. Play well there, and it can make all the difference. Our son went to UVa one and was offered a spot because of it. If your son is dreaming of being a Cavalier or a Tarheel, then yes you are too late. I don't see any other buses filling up fast given our experience in the recruiting landscape. Our son wants to go Ivy and that process has not even started in earnest yet. Of course there are a lot of snippy comments on this thread from Dads bragging on Princeton or the like going all out after their sons, but take with a grain of salt. A lot of programs can't do the early dance like the Ivies, and some don't by choice. Duke said call us after next Summer.

Queue the lunatics again to blast the above, but don't be too down CT Dad. You have great club possibilities, and the high school teams are very good in Fairfield Co assuming that is where you are.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone going to UNC this weekend? Looks like a great lineup of schools.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anyone going to UNC this weekend? Looks like a great lineup of schools.

Yes. Almost like a very good showcase with the number of coaches attending. Have heard very positive things from kids who have gone in past years.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Admittedly know very little about this process so I apologize in advance for what is probably a very dumb question but how do you find a list of these showcase events? And what coaches, other than the host school, are going to be there? Thanks for any help

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Admittedly know very little about this process so I apologize in advance for what is probably a very dumb question but how do you find a list of these showcase events? And what coaches, other than the host school, are going to be there? Thanks for any help

What other coaches will be there is kind of a pot luck surprise in my limited experience. Some prospect days will communicate what other coaches will be there formally and in advance and others you see what you get when you show up. The best way to get informed on prospect days is to internet search the university teams your son is interested in and the athletic department website will often have a tab for recruiting or recruits information. Or ask your club coach. Any club coach worth salt should be in the loop or can find out quickly for you. Same for your son's high school coaches. Lastly, I have simply emailed assistant coaches at some schools asking if they have a prospect day, and all have been prompt to furnish a link to a website or the like for me to follow failing the above. It is not hard to get informed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks much for your very helpful reply. One more question, when should a kid start going to these showcase events - sophomore year? Freshman? My son is in 8th grade.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those that went to 3d bluechip last year and did NOT make it through to JR, do you still have an opportunity to go this year? Was it possible to get a direct invite this year. I guess I'm asking if you don't make it as a freshman does it hurt your chances the following year? Please advise.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Put these teams in order some from greatest to not as great

Express
fl$
Jesters
True Blue
Outlaws
Team Long Island

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Put these teams in order some from greatest to not as great

Express
fl$
Jesters
True Blue
Outlaws
Team Long Island

Why? It would only be incendiary at best to ask this question. All the kids are good players. Leave it at that and let the tournaments answer this question.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks much for your very helpful reply. One more question, when should a kid start going to these showcase events - sophomore year? Freshman? My son is in 8th grade.

To be candid, I really believe the most important thing is to be on a good club team that plays in good club tournaments in the Fall of 9th grade. Then prospect camps and perhaps some showcases to supplement as needed as a rising 10th grader. In my opinion early recruiting is an instance of club coaches full court pressing kids out with the enthused parents who are antsy to get 'er done, and not so much the dressings of the showcases.

Much is made of the JR camp for rising 9th graders, and frankly I think that is off the mark and is mostly 3d touting it's own. In truth 3d is a marketing organization and they work every assistant coach of D1 programs like a puppy looking for a leg to pee on. JR used to be a big deal, and I really don't see that being the case anymore. When my oldest son (now a senior) went as a rising soph he was one of 120 kids in his class. What is JR now? 2x120 slots in Summer and another JR thing in the Fall? That is really watering down the elite of the elite cache because it no longer exists for JR and believe me NCAA coaches concur.

Showcases can be a selective good thing, particularly if you are a non-hotbed area family on a club team that is not going to Crabfeast, King of Hill and Delaware MVP which are the Holy Trinity of highest end Summer tourneys. It is these three that the NCAA head coaches flock to.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To be candid, I really believe the most important thing is to be on a good club team that plays in good club tournaments in the Fall of 9th grade. Then prospect camps and perhaps some showcases to supplement as needed as a rising 10th grader. In my opinion early recruiting is an instance of club coaches full court pressing kids out with the enthused parents who are antsy to get 'er done, and not so much the dressings of the showcases.

Much is made of the JR camp for rising 9th graders, and frankly I think that is off the mark and is mostly 3d touting it's own. In truth 3d is a marketing organization and they work every assistant coach of D1 programs like a puppy looking for a leg to pee on. JR used to be a big deal, and I really don't see that being the case anymore. When my oldest son (now a senior) went as a rising soph he was one of 120 kids in his class. What is JR now? 2x120 slots in Summer and another JR thing in the Fall? That is really watering down the elite of the elite cache because it no longer exists for JR and believe me NCAA coaches concur.

Showcases can be a selective good thing, particularly if you are a non-hotbed area family on a club team that is not going to Crabfeast, King of Hill and Delaware MVP which are the Holy Trinity of highest end Summer tourneys. It is these three that the NCAA head coaches flock to.

Generally agree with all of the above - particularly Jake Reed at this point. Would add the NSCLA tournament to the Crabfeast, King of Hill and Delaware MVP tournaments. Also, I believe Maverick has become the top individual showcase and Black Card Showcase (now NSCLA Showcase, no longer affiliated with Adrenaline) have become increasingly important. Lastly, agree prospect days are a good use of time as long as there is some degree of interest shown by the school ahead of time and it is a school you think you child is potentially interested in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Generally agree with all of the above - particularly Jake Reed at this point. Would add the NSCLA tournament to the Crabfeast, King of Hill and Delaware MVP tournaments. Also, I believe Maverick has become the top individual showcase and Black Card Showcase (now NSCLA Showcase, no longer affiliated with Adrenaline) have become increasingly important. Lastly, agree prospect days are a good use of time as long as there is some degree of interest shown by the school ahead of time and it is a school you think you child is potentially interested in.

My son went to Showtime last year after getting a recomendation from his HS coach. He did not do any other recruiting events or play for an elite travel team. He is a good player and made the "all star" team. Follwing the camp offers from almost every top program started to pour in as the coaches called our HS coach asking us to call them. My son had his pick. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to do all this traveling and spending big$$ Prospect days are a waste of money unless the coach personally invites you and there is already prior interest. I'm saying this because I know kids that have gone to these and nothing came of it. Good luck to all!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IL reporting 11 more 2017 announcements.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
IL reporting 11 more 2017 announcements.

No! One more 2017 commit who is actually a sophomore today who will do a PG year before attending UNC and will come in with 2017 class. The other 10 were 2016s. 2017 class up to 22 commits accroding to IL 2017 commit list.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My son went to Showtime last year after getting a recomendation from his HS coach. He did not do any other recruiting events or play for an elite travel team. He is a good player and made the "all star" team. Follwing the camp offers from almost every top program started to pour in as the coaches called our HS coach asking us to call them. My son had his pick. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to do all this traveling and spending big$$ Prospect days are a waste of money unless the coach personally invites you and there is already prior interest. I'm saying this because I know kids that have gone to these and nothing came of it. Good luck to all!

Good point about the prospect camps, however, they all aren't created equal. For instance, here is the college lineup for the camp at UNC this weekend (from their website):

2014 College Coaches in Attendance:
University of North Carolina
Duke University
University of Virginia
Penn State
Ohio State University
US Military Academy
Fairfield University
John Hopkins University
Princeton University
Brown University
Bucknell University
Hofstra University
Providence College
University of Denver
University of Michigan
University of Maryland College Park
High Point University
Georgetown University
Dartmouth University
Harvard University
Furman University
Loyola University
Marquette University
Quinnipiac University

This is a great lineup and open to anyone, provided you sign up before the attendance limit is reached. This is just as good or better than a showcase and a special invite isn't needed.

The recruiting game is far from static and players/parents need to evaluate all potential avenues.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks you to the earlier poster on Showtime. Since they did not have one last Summer for 2017s (I think), this one comes. Our club did not get any appointments to JR but got 5 to Showtime. We have a good club team...definitely competitive with Dukes, Crabs although we tend to lose those games by 2-3 goals.

Our club coach trashes JR camp saying it used to be great and now it is just lipstick on a 3d pig. Maybe that is too brutal and just sour grapes. But really, does it make any sense to anyone that a team would get 5 appoints to Showtime and a donut for JR? Makes less sense if JR is inferior, which I believe is the case now.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is a great lineup and all those coaches attend but, they are not sitting the sideline watching the games. If you are lucky enough to be on a team with a coach from a school you are interested in it is a great opportunity. Other than that it is a good weekend playing lacrosse with decent to good players. With the exception of Breschi all the coaches in attendance are coaching a team. Good luck to all in the recruiting process.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks you to the earlier poster on Showtime. Since they did not have one last Summer for 2017s (I think), this one comes. Our club did not get any appointments to JR but got 5 to Showtime. We have a good club team...definitely competitive with Dukes, Crabs although we tend to lose those games by 2-3 goals.

Our club coach trashes JR camp saying it used to be great and now it is just lipstick on a 3d pig. Maybe that is too brutal and just sour grapes. But really, does it make any sense to anyone that a team would get 5 appoints to Showtime and a donut for JR? Makes less sense if JR is inferior, which I believe is the case now.

If the kids excel at Showtime, believe me, the offers will follow. A lot of pressure for the kids, but it is a survival of the fittest world we live in! Jake Reed is on the way out, money grab, ain't nobody got time for that!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop with the " our club got-- appointments for JR". It dosent work that way! These are INDiViDUAL invites. You club coach wants you to think that it comes thu the club so you continue to pay the fees to him, or is it that you just don't get it?
These are INDIVIDUAL invites. That's why they are called "INDIVIDUAL" What's so hard to understand about that? You just didn't get one. If you got your show time invite them go to that but please stop saying that these are "club" appointments. It's just wrong!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Stop with the " our club got-- appointments for JR". It dosent work that way! These are INDiViDUAL invites. You club coach wants you to think that it comes thu the club so you continue to pay the fees to him, or is it that you just don't get it?
These are INDIVIDUAL invites. That's why they are called "INDIVIDUAL" What's so hard to understand about that? You just didn't get one. If you got your show time invite them go to that but please stop saying that these are "club" appointments. It's just wrong!

You are wrong. I know kids that got their invites though express last year. They did not deserve it, and that became clear when they showed nothing! if you get an invite because of politics, be prepared to be embarrassed! And waste your money!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You don't know what you're talking about. In addition to playing your way into Jake Reed through 3D Blue Chip, Jake Reed gives spots to certain coaches and programs that are automatic bids. He definetly gives 2 to 3 spots to Chaminade, St. Anthony's, GC, Express, 91 and other comparable programs from Long Island.

Showtime is definetly the better Showcase compared to Jake Reed. Jake Reed is losing the juice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not wrong. Last year? That was NOT blue chip. That was 3d blue chip. Sorry to burst your bubble but you my friend are wrong. This is not 3d blue chip which is a "play in". This is the real blue chip. Those are INDIVIDUAL invites. They DONT come thru your club! But since you didn't get one, I guess you wouldn't know that. Keep waiting for your "club" invite and you will keep waiting. This isn't "last year". No 2nd hand knowledge needed here. FACT - 1st hand knowledge. I'm not asking a friend or using last year as a guess. Call JR and ask them for yourself how the "individual" invites are done for the real camp. Not the 3d play in camp, the real deal. Only given to the elite players that don't have to go and pay at another camp to "play in" with 600 others. One of the 50 that are hand selected "individual" invites. Club has nothing to do with it. Again I know this for FACT.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You are wrong. I know kids that got their invites though express last year. They did not deserve it, and that became clear when they showed nothing! if you get an invite because of politics, be prepared to be embarrassed! And waste your money!

Yea Ok. Believe what you want. It dosent work that way for the real blue chip. Last year was the 3d "play in" that your speaking about. Not this year baby. Club has NOTHING to do with it! You gotta play in at 3d with 600 other kids, or be good enough to be one of the 50 "INDIVIDUAL" invites. These exclusive unites DONT come thru your club or anyone else's club. But you keep believing your club coach as he takes your money but trashes someone else for trying to do the same. You just don't get it! Obviously!! Thus the term "individual". You should call JR and ask how these kids get their invites. Got one this year and don't even play club! Oh how did that happen? No club coach or others to be appointed with? NO. These are individual invites ! You shouldn't say someone is wrong when you really have no clue how it works!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It works as follows:

2 ways to get into Jake Reed in July-

1--direct invite (for 2018-there are no direct invites) or
2--play in/try out through one of the 3d florida camps (2018 must try out, no direct invites)

For number 1, club coaches are not given any slots-individuals either get a direct invite or they don't

For number 2, club coaches are asked for input and given slots for players to spend the money to fly to Florida and try out with 120 player from their region (4 or 5 national regions). If a kid does well at the try out, he may then get picked to attend the Jake reed cap in July in MD...

It is really simply but lots of people confuse the florida 3d try outs with the real Jake reed camp in July in MD...

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yea Ok. Believe what you want. It dosent work that way for the real blue chip. Last year was the 3d "play in" that your speaking about. Not this year baby. Club has NOTHING to do with it! You gotta play in at 3d with 600 other kids, or be good enough to be one of the 50 "INDIVIDUAL" invites. These exclusive unites DONT come thru your club or anyone else's club. But you keep believing your club coach as he takes your money but trashes someone else for trying to do the same. You just don't get it! Obviously!! Thus the term "individual". You should call JR and ask how these kids get their invites. Got one this year and don't even play club! Oh how did that happen? No club coach or others to be appointed with? NO. These are individual invites ! You shouldn't say someone is wrong when you really have no clue how it works!

Actually, I know exactly how it works. There are some well connected coaches that get to recommend a few players to receive an individual invite. That's why we pay them the big bucks! Got mine that way. Sorry that you don't get it! FACT!

Page 35 of 70 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 69 70

Link Copied to Clipboard