BOTC is pleased to partner with Team Elevate to bring you the following information about their annual Christmas Magic Program.
December is always a very special time of the year for my family and me. As most of you know Team Elevate and I have been involved with an unbelievable charity for many years – Christmas Magic/Holiday Magic (www.holidaymagicli.org
). The charity was started by my good friend Charlie Russo as a small way to take care of a few kids who needed help from Santa Claus many years ago. Last year, we delivered presents to almost 10,000 homeless kids on Long Island. Yes, the number is correct – TEN THOUSAND. With the economy still dragging along, the homeless population on Long Island continues to grow.
The one important point I want everyone to know is that these are all good kids whose families are in a tough spot right now. These kids go to school and they see their classmates with things that any kid would want, but they can’t have it or afford it. So we ask these kids to write letters to Santa asking for specific gifts that they want. Some kids will ask for a computer or laptop. Other kids ask for boots, jeans or a coat. The little ones will ask for a bike or a Barbie doll. We do all that we can to make each of these children’s wishes come true and get them what they ask for.
I received the letters to Santa. As usual, it is extremely emotional reading them. Luckily there are also some really funny ones as well. These kids need our help and I am asking for your help in any way you can. Here's how you can help:
1. Adopt a child: we will send you their wish list and you will go out and shop for the child and wrap the presents so they have something to open (about $200-$300 per child based on their age). We do have some requests for more expensive items like laptops, cameras, etc. and we still get those for the kids. If something is beyond your budget, please let us know so we can pair you up with another shopper.
2. Donate Money: no amount is too small (or too big). We get ZERO government funding and we are an approved 501(c)3. Checks can be made payable to HOLIDAY MAGIC and sent to me at PO Box 997 Huntington, NY 11743.
3. Team Effort: get your other youth teams involved and collectively adopt an entire family or group of children. I can't tell you how much the kids love to help other kids in need and it makes a big difference in all of their lives. SPREAD THE WORD!
4. Drop Off & Holiday Cheer: This year due to the number of kids we are delivering to, we will not be doing our traditional wrapping party at our house. Please e-mail Dave Kotowski for details.
5. Friends and Family: please forward this email to anyone you know that can help us.
6. Companies: If you have a connection to a company that can help us who wants to get more involved, let us know. Last year Donna Harvey's company took on 10 kids. If you know a company who can help us out on group purchases that would be great as well (electronics, toys, etc.)
7. Last Minute Shoppers: We are hosting the party at the shelter on Tuesday December 17th. We need everything done by the 17th. Every year we get hung up on one or two kids - someone forgets to shop, they could not get a certain gift, etc. It always happens. We need 2-3 people to be able to be available the weekend prior to the 17th as last minute shoppers.
However you can help us, we appreciate anything you can do. Let us know.
On behalf of the children and the families we will be helping - THANK YOU!
p.s. COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS are available for those who need them for school.
Team Elevate Lacrosse
T - (631) 772-9779
C - (631) 897-9779
P.O. Box 997
Huntington, NY 11743www.TeamElevateLax.com
E-Mail Dave Kotowski at dk@TeamElevateLax.com
for additional information.