BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,822
Posts390,653
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 300 of 334 1 2 298 299 300 301 302 333 334
Re: Boys High School
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If parents understand this concept for college, why isn't it true for HS?

So many parents send their kids to the same MIAA student/lax mills and wonder why their kid isn't playing.

Guess reality hasn't set in for them yet.
It takes getting to the college level to realize what 🐂💩the MIAA and everything pertaining to it really is. And I say that having two kids in MIAA.

Please keep that to yourself, MIAA parents love to ask where your child goes to school, hoping more like praying that you will ask where their child goes.
The first three questions Baltimore natives ask, Where do your children go to school. where do you live, and what do you do,,,after answering those, they will decide if they might actually be interested in what you say.

MIAA has many good educators that teach there, but the days when it was head and shoulders above public schools is over now . The " elite" status is getting harder and harder to justify at 20-35K a year. And once they get to college , you realize it wasnt all that .

And another one with two boys in MIAA who knows what he is talking about.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are public schools that can barely field a varsity team. Some public schools don't even have a JV. I keep hearing grow the game, but I am seeing less and less growth with more rec programs folding year after year.
Just read through this forum to understand why. Kids generally want to play sports because: a)it’s fun; b) they can hang with/make friends; c) enjoy competition. Lax in Baltimore has become competitive to the point that it’s no fun and the elitest attitudes make any 13 year old player with no hope or desire to ever play for one of the to 4 MIAA less than human in the eyes of those who can. They throw in the towel because of the same people who frequent this forum whose view is “who cares if they aren’t good enough”

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So many parents send their kids to the same MIAA student/lax mills and wonder why their kid isn't playing.

It takes getting to the college level to realize what 🐂💩the MIAA and everything pertaining to it really is. And I say that having two kids in MIAA.

Serious question - bull in what way? My experience traveling around the country is that for all its warts, the MIAA schools, down into upper MIAA-C, are SADLY a superior lacrosse product compared to 90% of what is offered nationally. Yes, a few HS in DC. Yes, IMG. Yes, DC/IAC. Yes, Long Island, Westchester, and MA are arguably better (at least some years). Sit with the parents from the best lax clubs in NC, GA, CO next time you're at a tournament. See them not even understand - even be shocked by - the physicality or complexity of the game that MIAA and IAC kids are playing with.

Where do you think that MIAA fails? That they get developed talent and don't develop it further? That they poorly identify future talent? Curious to hear what you think. Or is just a bad hype vs worth ratio? Honest question.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
This is funny and sad all at once.

Some of these parents really believe you can get a "D1 offer" (with no athletic scholarship) while riding pine in Hs?!

Those of us who have played at the highest level in college and who have kids doing the same know that's not a D1 offer.

That's called being a "walk on" at a school and it doesn't mean squat when college tryouts start.

There are lots of naive and gullible lax-mill parents and apologists out there.

I'm sure the coaches at these lax mills are playing lots of Journey during pregame warmups.

"Don't stop believing!"

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Serious question - bull in what way? My experience traveling around the country is that for all its warts, the MIAA schools, down into upper MIAA-C, are SADLY a superior lacrosse product compared to 90% of what is offered nationally. Yes, a few HS in DC. Yes, IMG. Yes, DC/IAC. Yes, Long Island, Westchester, and MA are arguably better (at least some years). Sit with the parents from the best lax clubs in NC, GA, CO next time you're at a tournament. See them not even understand - even be shocked by - the physicality or complexity of the game that MIAA and IAC kids are playing with. .

Yea, but the MIAA kids are all graduating HS at the age of 20 while all the Long Island kids are graduating at 17/18 yrs old. So yea, the adults are going to play a lot more physical than the kids.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we chime in and talk, in as decebt a way as possible, about NHSLS. What is it? Who goes? What does it cost, etc? Really just trying to understand beyond what I hear from coaches and parents of kids who never played in it. TIA.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can we chime in and talk, in as decebt a way as possible, about NHSLS. What is it? Who goes? What does it cost, etc? Really just trying to understand beyond what I hear from coaches and parents of kids who never played in it. TIA.
Showcase event for high school teams. JV and V division. Two of my boys have participated. College coaches in attendance. It’s been a great event the past four years that my kids have done it. As for cost, I honestly can’t remember, maybe $295?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Showcase event for high school teams. JV and V division. Two of my boys have participated. College coaches in attendance. It’s been a great event the past four years that my kids have done it. As for cost, I honestly can’t remember, maybe $295?

What ages were your kids when they played? If it’s a showcase, is there any benefit to a freshman playing?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If your freshman is playing with a varsity team and will get out there I would say yes - he could get on someone's board early. It is expensive, but well run and just about every big time college program is represented. If your team is playing against a big time school lots of coaches will come to watch. Regarding your son- I've seen some freshman who were invited to play get out there a ton, I've also seen some never leave the bench. Ask your son's coach -even past participants to see how your son's school will work the system. The cost/benefit will come into play then. My son has played all 4 years and was recruited as a junior by the school he will be attending after playing in the fall NHSLS event for what it's worth.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What ages were your kids when they played? If it’s a showcase, is there any benefit to a freshman playing?
My oldest played soph and junior year. My youngest has played fresh and soph year so far. There is no benefit to freshman playing other than getting time with teammates and getting time on the field. Very very few coaches watching the JV games.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My oldest played soph and junior year. My youngest has played fresh and soph year so far. There is no benefit to freshman playing other than getting time with teammates and getting time on the field. Very very few coaches watching the JV games.

Umm, am I missing something? Since you're playing as your HS team, wouldn't the ultimate benefit for a freshman be to get exposure with their new coaching staff and compete with new teammates against other HS competition? What more would you want at this point?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Strong event. Better in summer.For committed senior, coach said he found him at NLF then went to fall NHSLS get view of high school play.Varies for each but this helped.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
NHSLS is why Naptown lost importance.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Appreciate the post. Wondered what happened thought it was the sale.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Umm, am I missing something? Since you're playing as your HS team, wouldn't the ultimate benefit for a freshman be to get exposure with their new coaching staff and compete with new teammates against other HS competition? What more would you want at this point?

If they are playing varsity, sure. But if it’s the JV NHSLS…not worth the price tag. They’ll get that “exposure” during the season without the $300 price tag

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How so?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Appreciate the post. Wondered what happened thought it was the sale.

Random national teams. Quality filter missing. Usual good teams missing. Now some awful teams too boot. 7 years ago was tops. Thought rainout year was the reason but so close to NHSLS explains it.Hopefully club director listened after last summer. Thanks for help. At least a few normals left here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Serious question - bull in what way? My experience traveling around the country is that for all its warts, the MIAA schools, down into upper MIAA-C, are SADLY a superior lacrosse product compared to 90% of what is offered nationally. Yes, a few HS in DC. Yes, IMG. Yes, DC/IAC. Yes, Long Island, Westchester, and MA are arguably better (at least some years). Sit with the parents from the best lax clubs in NC, GA, CO next time you're at a tournament. See them not even understand - even be shocked by - the physicality or complexity of the game that MIAA and IAC kids are playing with. .

Yea, but the MIAA kids are all graduating HS at the age of 20 while all the Long Island kids are graduating at 17/18 yrs old. So yea, the adults are going to play a lot more physical than the kids.

That is a laughable, typically LI response. "But all our kids nevvvverrr hold back and they all graduate when they're 17."

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is a laughable, typically LI response. "But all our kids nevvvverrr hold back and they all graduate when they're 17."

It’s true. LI makes students enroll in college when they turn 18 if they still want to attend school. Look it up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It’s true. LI makes students enroll in college when they turn 18 if they still want to attend school. Look it up.

So, I looked it up.

New York Education Law §3202 states that persons over 5 and under 21 years of age who have not received a high school diploma are entitled to attend the public schools ...

Nice troll effort though.....you got me to look it up.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Current odds of 2024 MIAA champions

Mcd +350
BL +500
CHC +650
LB +700
Spaulding +850
StP +1000
Gilman +1450
JC +1600
StM +1700
Severn +1800
MSJ +2500

I'm putting 10 units on the Dons to take it home this year.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mcd +350
BL +500
CHC +650
LB +700
Spaulding +850
StP +1000
Gilman +1450
JC +1600
StM +1700
Severn +1800
MSJ +2500

Hard to tell as lacrosse in general is at a low in MIAA last few years. Talent level needs to improve before any predictions can be made

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is only one team to beat.Until then MCD is the dynasty.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But the big question is always- can McDonogh live up to the hype?

Their program has a history of underperforming relative to their talent and depth.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Their program has a history of underperforming relative to their talent and depth.

McD has so underperformed in years pass. The last few years have been the perfect storm for them to win. Covid gave them a leg up with it resulting in such little talent in league. McD for once actually came out on top as they had a bigger margin of better players than others. Years ago, they had better players but a smaller difference than other MIAA teams, which they did as usual and lost to less talented teams.. I suspect talent will even out here soon and they will go back to under performing like they usual do against BL,LB and CH , The rest are no longer a real factor, except the occasional one off.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Mcd +350
BL +500
CHC +650
LB +700
Spaulding +850
StP +1000
Gilman +1450
JC +1600
StM +1700
Severn +1800
MSJ +2500

+1700 for St Mary’s not to make the playoffs is about right.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

McD has so underperformed in years pass. The last few years have been the perfect storm for them to win. Covid gave them a leg up with it resulting in such little talent in league. McD for once actually came out on top as they had a bigger margin of better players than others. Years ago, they had better players but a smaller difference than other MIAA teams, which they did as usual and lost to less talented teams.. I suspect talent will even out here soon and they will go back to under performing like they usual do against BL,LB and CH , The rest are no longer a real factor, except the occasional one off.

McD using dorms to recruit missing pieces gives them a leg up. Even with all the talent the margin of victory in semi's the last two years was razor thin-remember the questionable goal by prodigy #2 to win the semi in 2022....Yes a win is a win???

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Fall NHSLS teams confirmed:
Spalding
BL x2
Calvy Hall
Gilman
John Carroll
Loyola
Severn
St Mary's
St Paul's
Broadneck
Dematha
Gonzaga
Good Counsel
Landon
St Albans

No:
McD
St John's
MSJ

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding
BL x2
Calvy Hall
Gilman
John Carroll
Loyola
Severn
St Mary's
St Paul's
Broadneck
Dematha
Gonzaga
Good Counsel
Landon
St Albans

No:
McD
St John's
MSJ

McD and MSJ are on Sunday in the White session for some reason. https://nhsls.com/fall-boys-varsity-white-session-player-registration/

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding
BL x2
Calvy Hall
Gilman
John Carroll
Loyola
Severn
St Mary's
St Paul's
Broadneck
Dematha
Gonzaga
Good Counsel
Landon
St Albans

No:
McD
St John's
MSJ

What does McD have to prove, they are the best !

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What are the MIAA penalties for recruiting violations?
Say a MIAA coach/admissions director repeatedly contacts the parents of a student currently enrolled in another league school?
Asking for a friend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Say a MIAA coach/admissions director repeatedly contacts the parents of a student currently enrolled in another league school?
Asking for a friend.

Very Little. This is not the NCAA. Most schools know what goes on. Short of a video being made of event, there will be nothing but a phone call between them at most. What school is doing the calling ? McD they are notorious for recruiting

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Asking for a friend.

Zero. Contacting parents. Different league. Who cares.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding
BL x2
Calvy Hall
Gilman
John Carroll
Loyola
Severn
St Mary's
St Paul's
Broadneck
Dematha
Gonzaga
Good Counsel
Landon
St Albans

No:
McD
St John's
MSJ

St Mary’s will not win a game.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Spalding
BL x2
Calvy Hall
Gilman
John Carroll
Loyola
Severn
St Mary's
St Paul's
Broadneck
Dematha
Gonzaga
Good Counsel
Landon
St Albans

No:
McD
St John's
MSJ

McD and MSJ are on Sunday in the White session for some reason. https://nhsls.com/fall-boys-varsity-white-session-player-registration/

White session has Hill & Haverford in it, so everyone will be tested

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Asking for a friend.

Very Little. This is not the NCAA. Most schools know what goes on. Short of a video being made of event, there will be nothing but a phone call between them at most. What school is doing the calling ? McD they are notorious for recruiting

Definite violation.
Think it's a fine for the coach/school who did it.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Asking for a friend.

Definite violation.
Think it's a fine for the coach/school who did it.

Worry about your own kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Will be a fine for the offending school and the coach will be put on notice.
Bush League move by the offender. No class.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No one cares. MIAA philosophy- our rules are meant to be broken. Fight it or be a whistleblower and watch how quick your kid never sees the field. It’s the MIAA way.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The MIAA gets criticized for it's lack of oversight alot.
But the league does seem to care if a violation is reported by a member school.
There have been recent fines and action taken for both scouting and recruiting violations.
It is generally handled quietly between the league and schools involved.

Like Reply Quote
Page 300 of 334 1 2 298 299 300 301 302 333 334
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard