BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,817
Posts388,321
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Re: Boys 2025-10th Grade Fall 2022/Summer 2023
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2025 son is a very late bloomer and hasn’t hit his spurt yet. He is about 5 5 130 and will likely end up about 6 foot according to doctor. Voice hasn’t changed yet. He probably has the talent to play mid level D1 according to his coaches but they said because of his size he might get overlooked this summer. Club coach suggested that if he really wants to play D1 that he plays for a 2026 club team and do a PG year after HS which would make him a 2026 recruit. This seems like cheating to me but I see how that can make sense. Thoughts? Thanks
If playing lacrosse is that important to your son then I would suggest the PG route. Reclassing to me is ridiculous because you have to change schools and get separated from your friends. Let your son graduate HS and see what his options are at that point. If you reclass, then you should reassess your club team. You don't have to stay with the same organization. A reclassed player has a physical advantage and you should be on a top team. What the coach is suggesting sounds wrong, you can't just say you're going to do a PG year at some point in the future. It doesn't work that way.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]My 2025 son is a very late bloomer and hasn’t hit his spurt yet. He is about 5 5 130 and will likely end up about 6 foot according to doctor. Voice hasn’t changed yet. He probably has the talent to play mid level D1 according to his coaches but they said because of his size he might get overlooked this summer. Club coach suggested that if he really wants to play D1 that he plays for a 2026 club team and do a PG year after HS which would make him a 2026 recruit. This seems like cheating to me but I see how that can make sense. Thoughts? Thanks

Why would he suggest playing 2026 if he is a 2025 ? That is called CHEATING. Why not let him play 2025 until HS is over? If your son chooses to do a PG year and develops physically and is good he will get recruited.

My 2025 son played club lax up until a year ago fir a good club. He is a goalie and is pretty good but has not hit a big growth spurt yet. He is 5'6 and 120lbs soaking wet. His club coach asked him to reclass (the Coach's kid was also reclassing). My wife and I talked with our son about it and he looked at us like we had two heads when realizing he would leave his friends and repeat 8th grade. He is also a very good student.

After our discussion he decided to leave club lax entirely and focus on the sport he loved the most, soccer. He changed soccer clubs and is on a very competitive team. His coach is a division 1 college coach for over 30 years for a local college. And his team plays in two leagues, one on age and one UP. His coach tells the boys you want to get better, you have to play against bigger and stronger kids.

Lax is such a cesspool it is disgusting. It is the only sport where kids play DOWN and pound their chests. It is a shame because I love the sport but it is unwatchable now with all the slimy people involved.

Good luck to your son in whatever choice he makes. But remember most of these club coaches really could care less about the kids, it all about marketing the Club name.[/quote

If he is going to PG he should play 2025 then switch to 2026 when he is a rising senior. If he stays with 2025 that summer he will only get seen by D3 coaches.

True. The PG year allows a player to get another summer to be seen by D1 coaches. First as a rising junior on his HS grad year team and a second time as a rising senior playing for his PG grad year team. Sometimes late bloomer kids PG because they didn’t get recruited their junior year and think or were told that an additional year will give them time to grow which will get them noticed. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes a D1 coach will tell a kid that they liked them but don’t have room for them for their HS grad year but have a spot for them the following year. Sometimes a high academic coach will like a kid but his grades aren’t good enough and will suggest a PG year for that reason. Bottom line is that there are a number of reasons to PG and if you can afford to do it and your kid wants to do it there isn’t much of a downside to doing it other then the potential of not getting recruited to play D1 because you did it which happens sometimes.

Thanks!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2025 son is a very late bloomer and hasn’t hit his spurt yet. He is about 5 5 130 and will likely end up about 6 foot according to doctor. Voice hasn’t changed yet. He probably has the talent to play mid level D1 according to his coaches but they said because of his size he might get overlooked this summer. Club coach suggested that if he really wants to play D1 that he plays for a 2026 club team and do a PG year after HS which would make him a 2026 recruit. This seems like cheating to me but I see how that can make sense. Thoughts? Thanks

Doing a PG year is pretty darn expensive and there is absolutely no guarantee it will pay off. For every success story like Rob Pannell there are way more that didn’t pay off. Stay the course and see what happens. 99 percent of the kids are not getting calls September 1st. If your kid is good he will get recruited. If he pops off junior year he will have plenty of offers. If he goes to a college he doesn’t like (and plays well ) he can easily transfer with the new transfer portal rules. And no…..you can’t go play with a 2026 team with the promise of doing a PG year later on

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You only have 4 years to play once you're in public hs. If you reclass you'll have to leave your current school and go to a private/prep.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You only have 4 years to play once you're in public hs. If you reclass you'll have to leave your current school and go to a private/prep.

and then your son can really dominate those younger kids.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holdback route = Express and 91.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct, so hoping this conversation would end when this class entered HS. If people choose to put their child in a position to open up the most opportunities possible, then that’s their business.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Correct, so hoping this conversation would end when this class entered HS. If people choose to put their child in a position to open up the most opportunities possible, then that’s their business.

Get ahead at the expense of others. Nice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That makes no sense.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That makes no sense.

Makes total sense. You just don’t get it. You failed in life and you’re now teaching your kid to follow in your footsteps. I’ll pray for you and your family.

BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So now what for the winter? What do these club teams do? Year round practice? How does that work? Do they do anything?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
1 OR 2 practices a week, maybe some position specific clinics. The better players are typically multi sport athletes who are practicing other sports 5 days per week as well.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That makes no sense.

Makes total sense. You just don’t get it. You failed in life and you’re now teaching your kid to follow in your footsteps. I’ll pray for you and your family.

So your case is… My son would have gotten that spot, but some holdback or PG got it, because my son was next in line if not for them. Not… That is a laughable argument and makes zero sense. In my opinion…The most successful people know how to seize opportunity, not wait for it or worse think they are entitled to it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anybody who is anti holdback, which is fine. I am not, as it’s not of my business. Do you pay tuition for your son to play on a team with holdbacks? If yes, why?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous][quote=Anonymous]You only have 4 years to play once you're in public hs. If you reclass you'll have to leave your current school and go to a private/prep.

So your case is… My son would have gotten that spot, but some holdback or PG got it, because my son was next in line if not for them. Not… That is a laughable argument and makes zero sense. In my opinion…The most successful people know how to seize opportunity, not wait for it or worse think they are entitled to it.

Ok, Lori Loughlin. You win I guess.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holdback father conversation. Son. You are not good enough at lacrosse at your age 2025 so we are holding you back so you can be a stronger player at 2026 grade and play kids a year younger. I know you won’t graduate with your friends and have to repeat a year of school but me and mom are willing to pay for a private school so you get a lacrosse scholarship because in the end that’s the most important thing in life. …..clap clap clap. I know. It’s their business right. Great example they are setting. Son there are ways to cut corners to get ahead. Playing by the rules is for others. Learn from this

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Holdback father conversation. Son. You are not good enough at lacrosse at your age 2025 so we are holding you back so you can be a stronger player at 2026 grade and play kids a year younger. I know you won’t graduate with your friends and have to repeat a year of school but me and mom are willing to pay for a private school so you get a lacrosse scholarship because in the end that’s the most important thing in life. …..clap clap clap. I know. It’s their business right. Great example they are setting. Son there are ways to cut corners to get ahead. Playing by the rules is for others. Learn from this

C'mon you can't fault them for using their $ to get ahead at others expense.
Its within the rules right?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If holding back is going to give my son an opportunity to get into Duke, Virginia, Ivy, etc… instead of an average/slightly above average school, then yes, I would do that all day and twice on Sunday. That decision can change the trajectory of his life. Also, some kids don’t have a ton of friends and are friends with kids on their lax teams. If he goes to SA or Chaminade he’s likely to know a bunch of the kids on the team.

And no, my sons are not holdbacks.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

C'mon you can't fault them for using their $ to get ahead at others expense.
Its within the rules right?

If your son can play on a high D1 level he will play on that level. Because regardless of the talent pool, if he can play on that level, he will be recruited to a high D1 school. Look at the 2023 numbers, the coaches don’t have a definitive number in mind they just look for talent that they think can play. The commit numbers fluctuate year to year on every team. Some have 10 and some have more than 20. So again, if your son has the talent they will find them. If he is not being recruited to a high D1 school a year from now, it’s because of individual talent, not somebody else’s talent.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If holding back is going to give my son an opportunity to get into Duke, Virginia, Ivy, etc… instead of an average/slightly above average school, then yes, I would do that all day and twice on Sunday. That decision can change the trajectory of his life. Also, some kids don’t have a ton of friends and are friends with kids on their lax teams. If he goes to SA or Chaminade he’s likely to know a bunch of the kids on the team.

Yes that decision will undoubtedly change one’s trajectory and not necessarily for the better. Your argument is totally immoral and of very bad character. Someone failed you in life and now you’re trying to justify your life. I avoid people like you like, avoid like the plague. I’ll pray for your soul.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes that decision will undoubtedly change one’s trajectory and not necessarily for the better. Your argument is totally immoral and of very bad character. Someone failed you in life and now you’re trying to justify your life. I avoid people like you like, avoid like the plague. I’ll pray for your soul.

Wow, you like yourself a lot dont you. Trying to understand why reclassing a kid for any reason is immoral. and then really trying to understand who failed you that you come on a message board and judge on morality. FYI- my son has reclassed because he had an opportunity to get a much better education after being disconnected and depressed during his lost Covid year. Yes, depression is real and impacts people. He is now as happy as he has ever been, getting a great education and is still a top d1 recruit. He never plays down, has always played up and will only do showcases at his grade level. The network he is growing and the opportunities he has already had provided are as far away from the psychiatric visits and depressing conversations that we were having. Judge me and post your phone number and address so we can continue this discussion. You have no idea of what you speak.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, you like yourself a lot dont you. Trying to understand why reclassing a kid for any reason is immoral. and then really trying to understand who failed you that you come on a message board and judge on morality. FYI- my son has reclassed because he had an opportunity to get a much better education after being disconnected and depressed during his lost Covid year. Yes, depression is real and impacts people. He is now as happy as he has ever been, getting a great education and is still a top d1 recruit. He never plays down, has always played up and will only do showcases at his grade level. The network he is growing and the opportunities he has already had provided are as far away from the psychiatric visits and depressing conversations that we were having. Judge me and post your phone number and address so we can continue this discussion. You have no idea of what you speak.

Wrong. Reread the thread. The argument clearly stated was holding back for sports reasons to get kid recruited to a top school. Do you agree with holding back for sports reasons at the expense of an on age kid? If so, I’ll try and avoid you too.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wrong. Reread the thread. The argument clearly stated was holding back for sports reasons to get kid recruited to a top school. Do you agree with holding back for sports reasons at the expense of an on age kid? If so, I’ll try and avoid you too.

I am personally against it but until it stops getting rewarded by college coaches it will always be a part of the sport. Don’t detest the player, detest the game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No ones blaming the kid. We blame the shiesty parents. Just show some character and play your kid on age.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I totally get both sides of the argument. Everyone wants what's best for their kid. Nobody will argue that. I've spoken to my son about this before when we play against teams that obviously have reclasses or holdbacks. Him and I both agree that we would be embarrassed to have him play against younger kids. My son plays aggressive and he said he wouldn't feel comfortable beating up on younger players. He doesn't understand how 16 and 17 year olds can feel good about themselves playing in the 2025 class. It really shouldn't be a decision anyone has to make. The sport needs to implement the guidelines. It will be too late for our boys but it's in the best interest of the kids for the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some parents have no shame. I have kids that are 18 months apart and one grade apart. I know a kid that repeated a grade to be in the same team as my older one who he is like 6 months older than. The kid just reclassed into my youngers grad year team. Two years and change older. Nice.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Until colleges stop rewarding it - why should parents stop?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think everyone souls are fine. Problem is arguments people just want to win and have no flexibility and disagreements are when people want to understand both sides. There is good and bad in this, but what has people more upset, older competition vs younger? Or your son will miss out because some kid is older and better? I can say the older vs younger nobody cares about. Look at PAL they promote fairness and all the rest of nonsense and play grade vs age? So even PAL I guess doesn’t have a good soul…point is why argue here. Ask a PAL director, hey why not go age like football?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think everyone souls are fine. Problem is arguments people just want to win and have no flexibility and disagreements are when people want to understand both sides. There is good and bad in this, but what has people more upset, older competition vs younger? Or your son will miss out because some kid is older and better? I can say the older vs younger nobody cares about. Look at PAL they promote fairness and all the rest of nonsense and play grade vs age? So even PAL I guess doesn’t have a good soul…point is why argue here. Ask a PAL director, hey why not go age like football?

People do care my friend. That’s why change is coming.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

People do care my friend. That’s why change is coming.
I believe they will make a change eventually but it will be too late for this group. Unfortunately it will probably take a serious injury caused by a player a year or two older. The subsequent lawsuit will bring about change in short order.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[quote=Anonymous]Holdback father conversation. Son. You are not good enough at lacrosse at your age 2025 so we are holding you back so you can be a stronger player at 2026 grade and play kids a year younger. I know you won’t graduate with your friends and have to repeat a year of school but me and mom are willing to pay for a private school so you get a lacrosse scholarship because in the end that’s the most important thing in life. …..clap clap clap. I know. It’s their business right. Great example they are setting. Son there are ways to cut corners to get ahead. Playing by the rules is for others. Learn from this

People do care my friend. That’s why change is coming.[/quote

See that tried twice before and twice failed. 1st time the then PAL President tried to vote it into PAL and was voted down by the other PAL directors and 2nd time USA lacrosse put out age guidelines and the clubs just ignored it. We will see if 3rd time is a charm.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The clubs lack of skilled coaching will not allow a change to happen.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who cares? Your kids are about to age out. Deal with it and keep the checks coming.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard Chaminade will not be accepting hold backs in the near future. Honestly don’t know how true it is but I did hear it from one of their larger $$$ donors.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heard Chaminade will not be accepting hold backs in the near future. Honestly don’t know how true it is but I did hear it from one of their larger $$$ donors.

They will if the $$$$$ is right

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is “holdback” a sin?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hope you avoid me at all costs. You seem extremely angry and wound way too tight. I said my sons were not reclassed. But I have no problem with the process. Your son is in 10th grade. Why are you complaining about holdbacks still. If he is a high quality player he would have been brought up to varsity last year and played against kids that were 3 years older. Even if he only got brought up to JV as an 8th grader he would’ve been playing against older kids. Let me ask you this, do you also have a problem with kids taking a PG year after HS? Because, many coaches ask recruits to do that. And many students accept that opportunity. It’s not talked about much, but it happens all the time. If Coach Tiffany or Coach Danowski told you on September 1st that he wanted your son, but would like him to take a PG year, you wouldn’t do that?? I would in a heartbeat to provide my son with such a life-changing opportunity. Maybe I’m just a better parent. I look at the big picture, instead of focusing on winning T-shirts at crappy lax tourneys. The fact is, college coaches would rather have a bigger, stronger, more developed player. That’s not a debate, it’s factual. My older son was recruited last year, and because of grad transfers and 5th year eligibility, coaches were recruiting 1/2 of the athletes that they normally do. The anti-holdback argument lost its relevance years ago. Time to refocus on the future.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is “holdback” a sin?

Against the 16th Commandment. Thou shalt not holdback to gain advantage against your brother.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHO CARES! This is the last year of this nonsense anyway! Move on.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHO CARES! This is the last year of this nonsense anyway! Move on.

Everyone cares. They will need excuses in a year for why their son isn’t recruited because holdbacks are taking the spots. Lol. I think some really believe that.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard