As the calendar creeps towards the end of the regular season the playoff picture is beginning to solidify in Nassau A.

For the Port Washington boys lacrosse team that means shoring up the little details it knows will matter greatly in postseason play.

Coming off a big one-goal win earlier this week over preseason top-seed Farmingdale, the Vikings traveled to Oceanside and put on a clinic Saturday morning in a 16-7 win over the Sailors.

“I think we have some good momentum after the Farmingdale win,” said Henry Haberman, who had three goals and four assists. “Hopefully we can keep that going.”

Port Washington (10-3, 6-1) came out firing on all cylinders. John McCarthy opened the scoring 44 seconds in off an assist from Luke Meyer before Haberman, Meyer and Ben Krefetz all scored in a 1:21 span midway through the quarter to open up a 4-0 lead.

Vincent McCabe, who scored three goals, answered for Oceanside (8-6, 5-3) but the Vikings rattled off the next seven goals to take an 11-1 lead. After Haberman just beat the halftime buzzer with a goal it put Port Washington ahead 14-3.

“We definitely wanted to come out early and take care of business with our starters and show what we could do,” Vikings senior defender Matt Freeman said. “Once we get a big lead in the second half, guys that come to practice everyday and work hard but don’t really get the shots in games get a chance to get in and hone their skills. No amount of practice compares to live reps in games so that’s a big help for the younger guys.”

It may be cliche to say that every goal will matter in the playoffs, but each regular-season game played between top four seeds Port Washington, Massapequa, Farmingdale and Syosset has been decided by one goal.

“Conference play has been really tight but that’s what you want going into the playoffs,” Freeman said. “It’s going to come down to who wants it more and I think we have that group of guys.”

Eight players got onto the scoresheet for Port Washington, led by Haberman’s seven points. Krefetz finished with two goals and three assists and Meyer had two goals and two assists.

“It’s my last year so I’m going to give it everything I can to get the county championship,” Haberman said, “and I think we’re going to win.”

By Gene Morris
gene.morris@newsday.com