BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2028-3rd Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 10:57 PM
Greater Howard Club Lacrosse Conference (HoCo)
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 10:40 PM
Girls 2026-5th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 10:39 PM
Boys 2026-5th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 10:14 PM
Boys 2024-7th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 09:47 PM
Boys 2025-6th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 09:24 PM
Long Island Yellow Jackets Lacrosse
by Anonymous. 09/24/18 09:05 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums15
Topics1,375
Posts235,904
Members2,026
Most Online5,209
Aug 23rd, 2018
SUBSCRIBE

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272665
09/12/18 08:45 PM
09/12/18 08:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hawks have been all zone since 2016. Their top players have joined the team in the last two years. They don’t develop talent and the dad coaches play their kids too much. Luckily the FoGo is great, both lefty attacks and righty attack are excellent (no daddy ball all joined in the last two years) and the goalie is fantastic but his father is nuts. They will run away with HOCo again.
All facts

I wouldn't make the assumption about hoco that fast. New talent on other teams will give them a run for their money - particularly if they aren't developing the kids and sticking with that zone.

Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: TM@BOTC] #272669
09/13/18 02:23 AM
09/13/18 02:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you can teach kids to play defense in a zone or in a man, but I'm sure everyone on here is smarter than I am. I do think more teams will go to zone defenses with the rule changes.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272676
09/13/18 08:37 AM
09/13/18 08:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think you can teach kids to play defense in a zone or in a man, but I'm sure everyone on here is smarter than I am. I do think more teams will go to zone defenses with the rule changes.

You're wrong and I am definitely smarter than you.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272694
09/13/18 01:56 PM
09/13/18 01:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hawks have been all zone since 2016. Their top players have joined the team in the last two years. They don’t develop talent and the dad coaches play their kids too much. Luckily the FoGo is great, both lefty attacks and righty attack are excellent (no daddy ball all joined in the last two years) and the goalie is fantastic but his father is nuts. They will run away with HOCo again.
All facts

The new goalie you guys picked up is also really good but unfortunately his dad is nuts as well. Hahaha!!!
[/quote]

Why would a "good" goalie join the 2023 Hawks? The present one is GREAT (best in DMV) and will stay in the game as long as its competitive. Makes no sense, why not go to a team where you can compete for a starting position, or at least playing time?

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: TM@BOTC] #272711
09/13/18 04:47 PM
09/13/18 04:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are referring to NCAA rule changes what does that have to do with youth? Youth leagues/tournaments aren't going to have the resources to manage a shot clock. And they shouldn't. Officiating is bad enough. Yes - these kids are going to learn zone defense/offense when they get to high school and college. But that's when their teams are practicing/playing 6 days a week. Youth teams running zone do so only for a competitive advantage. They know that their opponents aren't competent in running a zone offense because they only see a few times a year. When you only practice 3-4 hours a week you're not going to spend much time on zone offense. Unless your focus is on beating the team that runs zone vs. focusing on fundamentals. Youth game should be about teaching fundamentals and having fun. Ask any defender who played in college whether man or zone is more fun

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272712
09/13/18 05:01 PM
09/13/18 05:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All facts

The new goalie you guys picked up is also really good but unfortunately his dad is nuts as well. Hahaha!!!

Why would a "good" goalie join the 2023 Hawks? The present one is GREAT (best in DMV) and will stay in the game as long as its competitive. Makes no sense, why not go to a team where you can compete for a starting position, or at least playing time?[/quote]
Hawks goalie dads, there is a thing called Iphones that have a txt feature. You can both txt each other your feelings or continue to have your conversations here and talk about zone defenses. It is clear that this is interesting to two people who kids play goalie. Not so much to others. All youth goalies have good games and bad and playing on a strong team that holds the ball means less shots. None of that will matter in HS so we will see.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272713
09/13/18 05:46 PM
09/13/18 05:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All facts

Why would a "good" goalie join the 2023 Hawks? The present one is GREAT (best in DMV) and will stay in the game as long as its competitive. Makes no sense, why not go to a team where you can compete for a starting position, or at least playing time?[/quote]

Someone’s nervous about losing their title of being “the best in the DMV”!!! Hahaha![/quote]

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: TM@BOTC] #272717
09/13/18 09:52 PM
09/13/18 09:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are referring to NCAA rule changes what does that have to do with youth? Youth leagues/tournaments aren't going to have the resources to manage a shot clock. And they shouldn't. Officiating is bad enough. Yes - these kids are going to learn zone defense/offense when they get to high school and college. But that's when their teams are practicing/playing 6 days a week. Youth teams running zone do so only for a competitive advantage. They know that their opponents aren't competent in running a zone offense because they only see a few times a year. When you only practice 3-4 hours a week you're not going to spend much time on zone offense. Unless your focus is on beating the team that runs zone vs. focusing on fundamentals. Youth game should be about teaching fundamentals and having fun. Ask any defender who played in college whether man or zone is more fun

What does a defender in college have to do with youth. I think you will see the rule in Hoco play.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: TM@BOTC] #272718
09/13/18 09:54 PM
09/13/18 09:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

definitely not wrong

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272719
09/13/18 10:44 PM
09/13/18 10:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2022 API Diamondbacks. All zone, all the time. See their regression over the years in HoCo when kids get bigger and can shoot and move the ball vs. a zone. Works really well when kids are young, but if you can't change it up, team figure it out. We'll see what happens with the Hawks 2023.

2015 (6-0) 99 GF 15 GA
2016 (6-0) 56 GF 26 GA
2017 (2-4) 55 GF 66 GA
2018 (1-7) 41 GF 86 GA

Thanks Perry Mason !

Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272721
09/14/18 07:57 AM
09/14/18 07:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What does a defender in college have to do with youth. I think you will see the rule in Hoco play.

Ask any basketball player if they want to shoot threes or rebound... ask any football player if they want to pass or run the ball... ask any baseball player if they want to swing for a HR or bunt the man over... ask a golfer if he wants to swing away on the range or work on his short game... I hope you get my point. doesn't matter what is more fun.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272722
09/14/18 08:32 AM
09/14/18 08:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

definitely not wrong

Not only are you wrong, but you're stubborn too. And I bet your wife is a pig. Must be a hawks dad.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272725
09/14/18 09:25 AM
09/14/18 09:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All facts

My nosy neighbors 13 year old son told me that the best 2023 goalie is the DC Dog's goalie

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272744
09/14/18 12:23 PM
09/14/18 12:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ask any basketball player if they want to shoot threes or rebound... ask any football player if they want to pass or run the ball... ask any baseball player if they want to swing for a HR or bunt the man over... ask a golfer if he wants to swing away on the range or work on his short game... I hope you get my point. doesn't matter what is more fun.

"doesn't matter what is more fun" I get your point. You value winning over a young players passion for the game and development.

Reply Quote
Re: Boys 2023-8th Grade Fall 2018/Summer 2019 [Re: Anonymous] #272748
09/14/18 01:03 PM
09/14/18 01:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"doesn't matter what is more fun" I get your point. You value winning over a young players passion for the game and development.

You don't get it... Kids enjoy winning too. Coaches (some anyway) know what it takes. If you don't like the style of a coach, move on... don't bash the ones who play different styles.

Reply Quote
Page 26 of 29 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification