BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys High School Lax
by Anonymous -
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,821
Posts388,482
Members2,610
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 69 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 68 69
Re: Boys 2017 Fall 2012/Spring 2013
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Regarding moving kids up - Advice to the coaches - just say NO! You don't get paid enough to have to deal with the 50 other sets of parents frothing at the mouth to get their kid through the crack of the door that you've opened for one kid who you let through.

Please understand that if your child was as good, dedicated, respectful, intense, hard-working, coachable,respectED, pleasant, etc., then possibly you would feel differently. Your statement seems extremely non objective. While many believe that their child is the second-coming, some actually ARE that good. Don,t keep the door closed off to them based on spite or jealousy.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they cant play u15 if playing jv or varsity.
This is not true

they can, and do- why make that statement if there is no basis?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Regarding moving kids up - Advice to the coaches - just say NO! You don't get paid enough to have to deal with the 50 other sets of parents frothing at the mouth to get their kid through the crack of the door that you've opened for one kid who you let through.

Please understand that if your child was as good, dedicated, respectful, intense, hard-working, coachable,respectED, pleasant, etc., then possibly you would feel differently. Your statement seems extremely non objective. While many believe that their child is the second-coming, some actually ARE that good. Don,t keep the door closed off to them based on spite or jealousy.

My kid was one of three that was moved up a couple of years ago. The uproar by others parents who's kids didn't get moved up was beyond comprehension and believe me, the coach didn't and doesn't get paid nearly enough to stand that kind of heat. To the best of my knowlegdge he has not moved up any kids since. Not worth the aggravation.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think we have beaten to death the whole 2017's being moved up to varsity thing. Let's move on to something else.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only players that should get moved up should be exceptional. They should be classified as a potential starter. Why would you move kids up if they were not going to play? They would be better off playing on JV or 8th grade rather than sitting on the bench.

Some parents who "want" their kids moved up handle it in a real bad way. These are the helicopter parents hovering over everything their kids do. They think they are doing their kids a favor by pushing so hard, but in the end they may end up hurting their kids both physically and mentally. An 8th grader who is not the same size as his teammates is at a disadvantage. He risks physical injury from not only his opponents but also from his teammates.

As a college recruiter, I can also tell you that the lacrosse world is a small world. Coaches all speak and. When they ask the question - what are the parents like? We must be honest with them. College coaches have zero interest in dealing with overbearing parents.

Be careful what you wish for.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The only players that should get moved up should be exceptional. They should be classified as a potential starter. Why would you move kids up if they were not going to play? They would be better off playing on JV or 8th grade rather than sitting on the bench.

Some parents who "want" their kids moved up handle it in a real bad way. These are the helicopter parents hovering over everything their kids do. They think they are doing their kids a favor by pushing so hard, but in the end they may end up hurting their kids both physically and mentally. An 8th grader who is not the same size as his teammates is at a disadvantage. He risks physical injury from not only his opponents but also from his teammates.

As a college recruiter, I can also tell you that the lacrosse world is a small world. Coaches all speak and. When they ask the question - what are the parents like? We must be honest with them. College coaches have zero interest in dealing with overbearing parents.

Seriously, awesome post. Makes this board worth coming to. Thank you.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey helicopter parents (never heard that term before but its awesome) - you listening and taking notes? Better be, for the good of your kids.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey helicopter parents (never heard that term before but its awesome) - you listening and taking notes? Better be, for the good of your kids.

Its not healthy parenting and its not the stuff of healthy adult relationships either. Unless both parents are like that, I bet a study would reveal more unhappy marriages when one parent is so obsessed with youth sports and the other is not nearly as intense. Clearly, the overwhelming obsession with youth lacrosse (sports) by an adult is a symptom that their marriage and/or other aspects of their lives are a lot less interesting and they've found a great hobby/diversion. Question - what happens to your marriage when the kids move on? Trouble...

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its not healthy parenting and its not the stuff of healthy adult relationships either. Unless both parents are like that, I bet a study would reveal more unhappy marriages when one parent is so obsessed with youth sports and the other is not nearly as intense. Clearly, the overwhelming obsession with youth lacrosse (sports) by an adult is a symptom that their marriage and/or other aspects of their lives are a lot less interesting and they've found a great hobby/diversion. Question - what happens to your marriage when the kids move on? Trouble...

Several things-

1- I believe (look back and confirm) that the discussion began about moving 8th graders up to JV or varsity, not just varsity. I believe most are considering JV which would seem appropriate for an above average player if that is the philosophy of that program. Too much focus on varsity has taken place without cause.

2- Parents love their kids, some can't help it and I agree, too much is a bad thing. However, what about all these club coaches and directors that themselves are coaching or have coached their own children, is that helicopter parenting as well? I would argue at times yes. In some cases these coaches are more than qualified to teach/coach their own (and my son), at other times they are there to give "Johnny" more opportunities. All parents need to assess what is really best for their kid.

3- Lastly, symptom?? overwhelming obsession?? Diversion?? Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but Doc do we on BOTC owe you a copay?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is this the Marriage Reality Blog. Thanks Dr [lacrosse] for your parenting evaluation of a marriage and people you have not met!!!!!

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sage thanks for the update on shamrock. the 2017 matchups are very interesting and should be fun to watch those games. Lots of talent in the division.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

These posts keep discussing bringing up the smaller 8th grader that gets out sized and pushed around. You keep bringing up the helicopter parents that hover and push their kid. What about the kid (& we have seen many come through LI schools) that are just "That good"! They dont have pushy, hoovering, overbearing parents that college coaches have zero interest in dealing with. They are just good parents who do right by their kid (who so happens to be talented)

What about those kids that are just talented, big, fast, strong, coachable, respectful? They just should NEVER be looked at to play @ the level they belong because some other parents are intimidated or angry?

There are MANY different stories and situation out here. To come on this board and make blanket statements is ridiculous. Just as you are sure there are so many crazy, pushy parents, I am sure there are thoughtful, concerned parents that are just doing what they, their child & their coaches feel is appropriate for them.

Take a look at what has come out of LI before us. A lot of those athletes were brought up because it was in the best interest for all concerned. We can only hope that of the many young lacrosse players that were chosen to be brought up, a few turn out to be just as good. Good luck to these boys!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Obviously there are issues like this all over the place in different schools. However, CSH has themselves to blame on this. On numerous occasions the school has catered to over aggressive parents on a number of issues. There are more than a handful of times when kids were supposed to be disciplined but were not for fear of the parents reactions and potential lawsuits. Black and white issues that were as clear as day - suspend the kids involved - nothing happened. Happened again this year.

There have been times at CSH when players were pulled up who should have never been pulled up and they sat on the bench and did not even contribute. Why pull them up? Why set the precedent? Happened the last few years at CSH.

To make matters worse, they are not very selective in who they pick to coach the younger kids. Screamers and yellers and former players who were thrown off their college teams? Great role models CSH!!

What's next?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

These posts keep discussing bringing up the smaller 8th grader that gets out sized and pushed around. You keep bringing up the helicopter parents that hover and push their kid. What about the kid (& we have seen many come through LI schools) that are just "That good"! They dont have pushy, hoovering, overbearing parents that college coaches have zero interest in dealing with. They are just good parents who do right by their kid (who so happens to be talented)

What about those kids that are just talented, big, fast, strong, coachable, respectful? They just should NEVER be looked at to play @ the level they belong because some other parents are intimidated or angry?

There are MANY different stories and situation out here. To come on this board and make blanket statements is ridiculous. Just as you are sure there are so many crazy, pushy parents, I am sure there are thoughtful, concerned parents that are just doing what they, their child & their coaches feel is appropriate for them.

Take a look at what has come out of LI before us. A lot of those athletes were brought up because it was in the best interest for all concerned. We can only hope that of the many young lacrosse players that were chosen to be brought up, a few turn out to be just as good. Good luck to these boys!

Re-read the first line of the posting that you posted about. "The only players that should get moved up should be exceptional." Pretty clear. No one is knocking the special athlete who may also be a great kid and may have great parents.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need some advice. Is the Brine tournament in July (1st-3rd) worth it? I know it has been a bid deal in LI but less so in NJ. My son's club coach is giving him a hard time about missing practices to attend Brine. I know Jake Reed has historically been a bigger deal but don't know as much about Brine. Thoughts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Need some advice. Is the Brine tournament in July (1st-3rd) worth it? I know it has been a bid deal in LI but less so in NJ. My son's club coach is giving him a hard time about missing practices to attend Brine. I know Jake Reed has historically been a bigger deal but don't know as much about Brine. Thoughts?

I've been converted. The kids are excited to play with different players and its always fun to see them play against and socialize with kids from around the country.. I say give it a go

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son did it last year. Was a good couple of days, the competition was very good and it was cool playing against kids from all over the country. If your son is going to Jake Reed, i would say you could skip Brine. If your club coach is giving you static then its really not worth it. Its a good experience but really nothing more than a lax camp for our age group. Hope that helps.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

My son did it last year. Was a good couple of days, the competition was very good and it was cool playing against kids from all over the country. If your son is going to Jake Reed, i would say you could skip Brine. If your club coach is giving you static then its really not worth it. Its a good experience but really nothing more than a lax camp for our age group. Hope that helps.

Many thanks, very helpful.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re-read the first line of the posting that you posted about. "The only players that should get moved up should be exceptional." Pretty clear. No one is knocking the special athlete who may also be a great kid and may have great parents.

Why so defenseive? This was not in regard to just your post. There have been MANY posts (look back over the past 2 pages)pointing out the downside to (knocking) being moved up. I am trying to point out some of the upside. Bottom line...there are MANY very talented young players whose parents are NOT lunatics. Good luck them!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
since when did everyone turn into Opra??

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Who is Opra? Her name is Oprah genious. At least get the spelling right if you are tyring to be funny.

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Who is Opra? Her name is Oprah genious. At least get the spelling right if you are tyring to be funny.
Check UrbanDictionary.com for an interesting definition of the word genious (click here).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by CageSage

Check UrbanDictionary.com for an interesting definition of the word genious (click here).

"Opra", "Genious" & the urban dictionary...PERFECT!! This made my morning!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ha! that guy is great! can you define irony??
he is so busy going out of his way to correct someone else's spelling errors that he fails to check his own...

i know there is a life lesson in there somewhere smile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
shamrock scores?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
was anyone else surprised to hear 2017 True Blue's A team do a number on Mule's 91?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
was anyone else surprised to hear 2017 True Blue's A team do a number on Mule's 91?

Trueblue won the championship? ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2017 express terps black won the championship game against true blue

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Was a great hard fought game with both teams leaving it all on the field. Any LAX fan would have loved to see this game. It was a shame that either had to lose.

The combination these teams could form would be devastating if they ever did.

I predict a great rivalry here with either team winning on any given day. Truly the deepest pool of 2017 talent between these two teams.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just stop right there. No need to group, include or link your team or any of it's players with Terps Black. Terps won, today, as a team, together, so leave it at that.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There is talent on every team

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who won the B bracket?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Who won the B bracket?

Team LI u-13,it is mostly a 2018 group.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great day of lacrosse in some cold conditions. I think all three Teams can beat each other on any given day, which makes for good competitive lacrosse. ( Terps, Team 91 and True Blue). I do think 91 is a little better then they showed, just a bad day. Terps are solid.( long pole middies make life tough on the other Team). True Blue played more of a Team game then in the past . Would like to see how fl$ would do against this group?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Great day of lacrosse in some cold conditions. I think all three Teams can beat each other on any given day, which makes for good competitive lacrosse. ( Terps, Team 91 and True Blue). I do think 91 is a little better then they showed, just a bad day. Terps are solid.( long pole middies make life tough on the other Team). True Blue played more of a Team game then in the past . Would like to see how fl$ would do against this group?

Where were the Turtles in all of this? Local tournaments that don't involve a plane ride or 4 hour road trip not good enough?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just stop right there. No need to group, include or link your team or any of it's players with Terps Black. Terps won, today, as a team, together, so leave it at that.

What? Aren't Terps BLACK and Terp two different teams?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Disagree that all 3 can beat each other on any given day. 91 and fl$ not in that class, too slow. And fl$ attempted that mix indoor in NJ and got smoked. Terps Black holds two wins over Trueblue, TB has one win on Terps Black.

Turtles, terps black and TB, thats the mix.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

What? Aren't Terps BLACK and Terp two different teams?

Yes, two different teams. Black won.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Where were the Turtles in all of this? Local tournaments that don't involve a plane ride or 4 hour road trip not good enough?

That is an interesting question. From a strictly observational perspective; only a few of their players have actually continued to grow physically to match their skill levels. While all good players, their physical stature at this point would appear to be a detrimental issue at several positions. History shows that they typically do not want to test the local waters with kids who have similar stick skills. They don't mind playing bigger teams with lesser skill levels in lands far,far away. At those locations, the turtle myth is larger than life.

Had they entered the Shamrock Shootout, it would have been a bit embarrassing, I would think, for them to try and take on the likes of Terps Black or True Blue. As good as their stick skills are, they don't currently have the size or speed or physical intensity to play with kids who have the same sets of stick skills. That field has definitely leveled off. Where they once were light years ahead in stick skills; the same cannot be said now as many of the 2017 long island class has grown and meet or surpasse those of the turtles.

From what I've heard, practices are limited, and it is rumored that they cannot even get a decent scrimmage scheduled. Bad karma has it's downside.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That is an interesting question. From a strictly observational perspective; only a few of their players have actually continued to grow physically to match their skill levels. While all good players, their physical stature at this point would appear to be a detrimental issue at several positions. History shows that they typically do not want to test the local waters with kids who have similar stick skills. They don't mind playing bigger teams with lesser skill levels in lands far,far away. At those locations, the turtle myth is larger than life.

Had they entered the Shamrock Shootout, it would have been a bit embarrassing, I would think, for them to try and take on the likes of Terps Black or True Blue. As good as their stick skills are, they don't currently have the size or speed or physical intensity to play with kids who have the same sets of stick skills. That field has definitely leveled off. Where they once were light years ahead in stick skills; the same cannot be said now as many of the 2017 long island class has grown and meet or surpasse those of the turtles.

From what I've heard, practices are limited, and it is rumored that they cannot even get a decent scrimmage scheduled. Bad karma has it's downside.

On point.

Like Reply Quote
Page 26 of 69 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 68 69
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard